Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Keito posted:

Is drive bender similar to unionfs/aufs/etc in that they take several partitions or folders and make them appear as a single mount point? If you can only access files from the primary drive in xbmc it probably has problems with the way drive bender links the rest of your stuff into the hierarchy.

I'm using DriveBender on my WHS2011 box as well and don't see the issue. It just browses as normal. Pretty strange! But again I'm on Windows.

Edit: added Radbox to the video add-ons section.l

EC fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

bEatmstrJ posted:

I'm using Frodo with the Xperience skin but I don't have any songs in my library. I do however use DI.fm a lot to listen to music. Is there anyway I can add a shortcut to the main music screen without having to go through music add-ons/di.fm etc. I can't seem to add a favorite to the main music section.

I haven't looked at Xperience in awhile, but the other day the author posted that he was going to be adding one or two add-on shortcuts to the music tab, which should do what you want. Just follow the thread over at XBMC.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

jonathan posted:

It would be nice to figure out a way for XBMC to automatically detect 3d SBS content, or atleast let me tag it as such somehow, and then implement a 3d interface during playback. As it stands, the interface is almost unusable when the projector's SBS mode is on.

I wonder if there is a way to detect SBS and transcode it into sequential or checkerboard or whatever the blurays use. That way the projector would know to switch modes automatically.

I'm not at home right now, but there's a thread on the XBMC forums that talks about this. I'll try to remember to link it tomorrow. At one point there was even a patch to implement something, but I don't know if it works for Frodo.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Cross posting from the HTPC thread, I wanted to let people know that MeediOS has shut down:
-----------
I'm sure only old-school HTPC guys will even remember Meedio, but it's open source successor finally gave in and shut down today. The project is still on SourceForge, but the website is going to close.

Meedio was the follow up to myHTPC, a very basic front-end that was very popular in the early 2000s. Back then there weren't a lot of options. I think MediaPortal was around, and XBMC was still confined to the original Xbox. JRMC was doing a music thing. myHTPC was written by two guys working for Enron at the time, and they had been promising a follow up software to it for months and months.

When the big Enron controversy went down, they lost their jobs and decided to form a company and sell the expected follow up to myHTPC, now called Meedio. People were outraged, as you might expect when asked to pay for something. A new website and forums were launched, and people were actively watching as expected release dates were blown off and the project was delayed.

Meedio was shockingly ahead of its time on release. A stand alone configuration app let you control almost every single piece of your front-end. Multiple libraries were not only supported, but actively encouraged. It used tags to store media, and you could literally filter and sort by any tag in the library, so the possibilities were endless. I helped one guy setup a very slick library for all his recorded UFC fights, searchable by fighter, year, etc. The actual GUI was completely configurable, and dropping new items in the menu was extremely simple, especially compared to the XML voodoo required to do something similar in XBMC. It had an add-on system that just simply didn't exist anywhere else at the time, and wasn't replicated until relatively recently.

Unfortunately, all of this came at a price. There were no new setup wizards, very little documentation, and troubleshooting was very difficult. Importing media required creating your own tag strings (my TV show import looked like \<SeriesName>\Season <SeasonNumber>\<EpisodeNumber> - <Name> if I remember right), and the skin building was incredibly hard.

Still, people really took to Meedio. I remember testing XBMC at the time (2005/6 maybe) and being very cramped by the limitations. Plug in authors really took to Meedio, and there were a wide variety of crazy poo poo you could add to the system. One guy write a scraper that cloned all of TV.com's data, and released an importer that allowed you to pull in all kinds of info your library. That was the very early beginning of TheTVDB.com (before the admins went power crazy). MovieDB got a start there as well.

Eventually, the two man team started struggling. I don't know their financial status at the time, but I'm sure Meedio sales were never great. It was easy to pirate, and they gave away copies to their most loyal users who were beta testers. They were working on a PVR add-on which, looking back, was overly ambitious (and would cost users more money). They eventually did release it, but it didn't work for most people and folks vented a LOT if anger into the forums.

For a long time after that, things were quiet. The community had pretty much worked around all the bugs and limitations it could, and some incredibly talented skinners came along and really lived up the feel. I should note that using Meedio was a breeze once everything was working. The skins didn't have much in the way of animations, but they were quick. It was my main front end for a LOOONG time.

After an extended period of silence from the devs, a surprise announcement was made: Meedio was being purchased by Yahoo!. A final version was released, one that didn't require any sort of licensing, and Yahoo released an application based on the Meedio code that hooked into a bunch of Yahoo services (I can't for the life of me remember what it was called). As with most Yahoo stuff, support and updates never happened, and as far as I know the two original devs got sucked into the Yahoo black hole.

Some of the plug in developers and Meedio enthusiasts soon started MeediOS, a completely rebuilt Meedio using the same concepts, but completely open source. From my understanding, in MeediOS everything was a plugin: skin engines, database types, input types, everything. This meant you could have a SQL and/or mySQL backend, based on the user's needs.

They got far enough to release betas, although at this point XBMC had organized itself and had versions for multiple OS types already released (MeediOS was Widows only). I was still fairly active on the forums at the time, and participated in testing various things, but never felt comfortable enough to put it into active use. The next time I rebuilt my HTPC, I switched over to XBMC and never looked back.

I'd look in on the forums from time to time, and although they were active, it seemed like the core app was in a holding pattern. This morning I received the email saying the site was shutting down for good.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I wanted to pour one out for ol' Meedio. RIP.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

kri kri posted:

New skin to check out, Ace. I kind of like it using it for an hour or so.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=159405

Its in the official repo.

Says its missing some files for me, unfortunately. I'll dig into it tomorrow.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
What are you using to launch the emulator? I remember that AdvancedLauncher supported passing key presses through to emulators for this purpose.

EC fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 20, 2013

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Ashex posted:

I'm using Rom Collection which is overkill for what I'm doing, I only plan to play one game at a time. I looked at AdvancedLauncher but the online manual didn't mention that. I'll definitely check it out later though.

Edit: Nope, no way to pass input via the remote in AdvancedLauncher :( I guess I should just get a tiny wireless keyboard as I also want to make use of save states (plus I'll need to change the disc for Grandia/Xenogears). Any suggestions?

What OS are you on? If you're on Windows, you can use EventGhost to manage this stuff very easily. I setup different profiles for different emulators so I could close, save/load state, etc. If something like that exists on Linux I've never heard of it (but I would totally put it in the OP if there is one).

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
In my experience with wireless (and that EXACT scene, although it will happen with any scene with a lot of tiny moving objects) no, increasing the buffer won't help. I lived with it for awhile and then went to a wired connection, and have never had a problem since.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

TraderStav posted:

Oh... That would be quite right now, wouldn't it. Suppose I originally thought of it in the grey area as we discuss other streams and such.

Welp, forget I said anything then!

I kind of went with the theory that if it wasn't allowed on the official XBMC forums, then it probably shouldn't be mentioned in the OP. Talking about it in general terms is probably ok, as long as we don't start posting "HOW TO WATCH ALL OF THINGS FOR FREE" guides and keep it to technical talk.

What say you thread: should I add it to the OP?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Yeah I gave up on all that, especially because it didn't find half of my music videos. So I just made a folder with nice file names and made a favorite shortcut to that. No fancy art or images or anything but gently caress it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

fourwood posted:

Okay, why can't I figure this out... what the hell do the stars mean in the TV episodes listings? Some episodes have a star, some don't. I can't seem a way to turn them on or off, and I've found nothing to tell me their significance. I'm using the Aeon Nox skin with fairly default settings, if it makes a difference, but I seem to recall them being there on the standard skin, too.

I've not used Nox is some time, but it's probably meant to designate watched episodes, right?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

jonathan posted:

I have a bunch of really neat desktop backgrounds, organised into movie theme, misc, automotive etc. Is there a way to incorporate these into xbmc somehow ? It would be neat if they were displayed during some aspect of xbmc, perhaps while listening to music or something. I do use them as slides mixed in with movie trivia when using Cinema Experience script. But it seems like I could be doing more with them, I'm just not sure what.

Depending on the theme, you can set the background of a specific menu item (movies, pictures, tv shows, etc) to a folder full of images.

I'm pretty sure that there's a slideshow screensaver, either built in or available on the repo, and that you can set that to a folder. Then just disable music visualizations and you'll be set.

kri kri posted:

Just noticed this interesting addon for removing videos you have watched. I might look into it for deleting watched episodes or series I don't care about keeping.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=162517

Also just found this "beta" addon that can delete a file after watching it, I remember someone asked about that back in the day.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=162770

These are great. After a few people here try it out (including myself) I'll add them to the OP. I need to add that Ace skin as well, and probably run through all the various subforums to see if there's anything new or interesting to add.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Anveo posted:

I've moved from a Boxee to an AD12/Synology and I've got XBMC 12.1 setup and working pretty great with my movies and TV shows. I have a large collection of Rifftrax movies, shorts, and MST3K episodes but I don't want them lumped with everything else. I'd love to have separate "categories" for each of those on the XBMC homepage. How would I got about doing something like that?

Unless something has changed recently, you're stuck crafting custom NFOs for them and making smart playlists for each "category".

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Frodo 12.2 is out

quote:

About a month and a half after the release of XBMC 12.1, we are happy to announce XBMC 12.2 with substantial fixes for 12.1 and 12.0 across all platforms. Fixes include:

Fixed infinite loop on addon dependencies, resolves crashing problem that arrose immediately post 12.1 launch
Numerous UPnP fixes
Memory leak fixed when XBMC is minimized
Various Raspberry Pi playback fixes and software codec support
Fixed OSX audio mixing
Fixed some audio-related crashes in Linux builds
AirPlay fixes
Bluray folder resume-bookmarks now work
Ability to scan for new content on file folders has been reimplemented
Language updates from Transifex

Fixes from 12.1 included:

XBMC now supports using OSX’s default output device for audio as well as hardware decoding with Intel GPUs in OSX
XBMC no longer hogs audio for Linux and on resume audio will continue to work in Linux
Full iPhone 5 resolution is now enabled
Volume buttons on Android devices now control Android volume, rather than XBMC volume
Volume buttons on OSX devices once again control OSX volume, rather than XBMC volume
Player optimization on the Raspberry Pi, including more efficient playback, better subtitle support, and many crash fixes
iOS 6 support on the AppleTV 2.
XBMC does not crash when listed on the AppleTV top shelf
Added support for additional Xbox 360 controller types
Broader and more intelligent support for CEC devices
Fixed problems with several addons due to broken binary read/write in our python interface
Language fixes, including 7 new languages: Albanian, Burmese, Malay, Persian (Iran), Tamil (India), Uzbek, Vietnamese
AirPlay fixes, including making discovery of XBMC more reliable on OSX
Numerous crashing and stability fixes across all platforms

For all users interested in maximum stability, we highly recommend that you update from 12.1 to 12.2. This is the XBMC you were looking for

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
From the OP. I just checked and it looks like the FAQ is still being kept up to date.

EC posted:

A special note about upgrading to Frodo from previous versions
XBMC Frodo has made some dramatic under the hood changes to the way XBMC works. It is highly recommended that you read through the FAQ on the XBMC wiki so you understand some of those changes. Notably, your entire artwork cache will need to be rebuilt the first time you enter your video and music library. Also, many add-ons that you may have been using simply aren't compatible with Frodo. You can see other known issues here, or read through the XBMC forum for more user issues.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

FISHMANPET posted:

Hmm, that all looks super simple, as I don't have any addons to speak of and I'm not doing anything with thumbnails, so I guess I'll just backup my library, and upgrade the two instances.

One thing that will trip you up is the Recently Added list change. It used to show just the items most recently added to the library, now it shows the the items most recently created (by file date attribute). This works alright depending on how you use it, but is weird at first.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Try out Tag & Rename. The trial should let you see what type of tags the files have, and let you copy one type to another. It won't be as hands off as Sickbeard, but it'll be pretty easy.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

The pHo posted:

Trakt is, was and always will be the buggiest god damned plugin you can ever add to XBMC. Unless things have radically changed in the last few months, which I sincerely doubt they have.

It's a shame, it's pretty cool otherwise!

Things have radically changed since the Frodo release. The add-on pretty much always works without much finagling, including watched status syncing.

I do wish they'd drop the horrible "totally ninja!" and "weak sauce :(" from the rating screen, though.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

jonathan posted:

I'm using a 3TB NAS and use XBMC 12.2 to watch content. This is done via an htpc in the theater room and soon I will be using a small zotac for upstairs in the living room.

Can someone explain what I would gain from using a MySQL database ? I see it talked about often here.

Alternatively, could I just create a trakt account and gain much of the same functionality ?

I think the main draw for MySQL is having one central database for your watched tags and resume spots, allowing full sync between multiple clients. So you can stop watching a show in the living room and pick up from where you left off in the bedroom.

Keito posted:

trakt has an alternative numbered rating scheme that I think is fully integrated in the plugin, just switch switch to it in your account settings on the site. Can't guarantee it'll remove the cheese from being displayed within XBMC as I've disabled the feature, but one can hope.

I didn't know this, thanks.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
XBMC 13 April/May builds are now available for those who love that bleeding edge. Changes include but aren't limited to:

- FFMPEG 1.2 (crazy long list of changes)
- Settings Refactor:

quote:

The Settings Refactor is like-wise quite huge, but worth discussing in a bit more detail. Previously, settings were entirely dependent upon XBMC’s graphical user interface (GUI). If you didn’t manually change a setting in that interface, the setting could not be changed. Skinners had no access to the settings. Outside applications (like the official Android and iOS remotes) couldn’t interact with them. Any attempt by users to run XBMC as a server were hamstrung by the fact that you couldn’t actually control most of the server features without physically launching the XBMC GUI.

This refactor separated settings from the GUI, so now all of those obstacles can easily be overcome. In addition, because settings are no longer dependent on the GUI, we can do a lot of interesting things that were not previously possible.

The Basic settings are, indeed, basic.
For the first time, settings can now be reset to default, so everyone who discovers they’ve completely screwed up their audio settings finally have a fallback. The reset feature is fortunately quite narrow. It only applies to the window you are currently looking at. So, for example, if you reset your audio settings, you won’t accidentally reset your video settings too.

The settings GUI also has now has “settings levels” including Basic, Standard (default), Advanced, and Expert. The default Standard shows fewer settings than the previous default, and Expert is still a work in progress, but is likely to house a number of the settings that used to exist solely as part of the advancedsettings.xml.

Finally, with this separation, skins now have the power to show actual explanations of what each setting does, so users are no longer forced to puzzle over “Preferred Audio Language” or “Vertical blank sync.” Skinners can present a simple description that may easily explain the setting in non-developer speak.

A bunch of other stuff that sounds neat like better movie set management and the web interface supporting physical keystrokes. Not that this is very much in an alpha state and you probably shouldn't install on your main machine.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

kri kri posted:

Does this mean we can run a client on our servers more easily then?

That's what it seems to say if you read the article. Could be interesting...

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
It would help to know what OS you're running. Assuming Windows. There's a folder in \userdata that stores all of the settings. Check the wiki for exactly where for other OSs as well.

That probably won't fix your issue though. You might want to create a debug log and see if there's anything strange in there.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Or having the older name be nice an pretty and keeping the original file name. Very helpful.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
If I set a season image manually, does it copy the file to the XBMC home directory, or does it always reference the original location I specified?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

evilalien posted:

All thumbnails get cached inside the XBMC userdata folder.

Thanks, worked great.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Would it be possible to delete the video library and start over from scratch to see if the problem happens again? Back it up first, obviously. Otherwise you'll have to enable the debug log and do an update to see if you can spot anything.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Go into the library, find the artist, hit I, and it'll pull up the info screen. If there isn't any info for that artist, it will use the default scraper to find it. You can download other scrapers for different metadata, and there's an option to download info for the entire library in there somewhere.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Make sure the source is set to music first off (it sounds like it is but you never know). Then go to settings > music, and make sure you have something listed for default service or album/artist information. Mine are set to Universal Album Scraper and Universal Artist Scraper. If you want to do everything in one go check box "download additional information during updates."

At this point hitting Info on any artist or album should cause XBMC to go out and get bio, fanart, etc.

All of this will depend on your files having the correct ID3 tags for artist/album of course.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Two questions:

-Since we live in the era of sharing way too much information, I was wondering if theres any type of XBMC add-on that will automatically post what content you're watching to social networks like Facebook. Does anybody know of such a thing?

Check out Trakt. I'm pretty sure it has an option to annoy the hell out of your FB friends post to your wall when you watch something.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I've been out of the loop HTPC/XBMC wise lately, anything I need to add in to the OP? Or anything that needs to be updated?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Thermopyle posted:

Of users who like watching movie trailers in XBMC with something like The Trailers, would you be interested in paying $1/month for a better plugin?

Well, really you wouldn't be paying for the plugin, you'd be paying for a backend service/API that the plugin used to display and fetch information about the latest trailers. It would have the latest trailers from Apple/Yahoo/others within like 10 minutes of them ever being posted along with stuff like genre filtering, source filtering, trailer type filtering (clips, trailers, teasers).

All the trailer plugins suck, so I've been writing something better which is backed by the web service I just described. Initially it was just going to be for me, but if I could get some cash out of it, I would...

I'd probably kick you $5 just to test it out, but frankly with The Trailers working for basic streaming stuff I doubt I'd stick with it for very long. Unless I got addicted to the advanced features, anyway.

I hope XBMC gets around to supporting paid add-ons at some point.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Le0 posted:

Hmm okay I will try to give it a whirl.
XBMC stores fanart it scrapes internally or does it place them with the movie on the NAS?

It'll do it internally, there's a method for exporting the individual files if you want.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
XBMC 13 Gotham has a new preview release. Here's the details:

quote:

As has been the case for a few months now, for those who just can’t wait for a write-up about the newest alpha but tend to steer clear of the bleeding edge of nightlies, the new build should typically be available on the 1st of the month at mirrors.xbmc.org/snapshots.

With that said, we’ve now completed months #5 and #6 of our monthly development cycle, and there’s much to talk about.

System-Wide
These past two months have primarily seen the growth and refinement of already existing system-wide features. A few more notable of those features include:

Ripped CDs are now automatically added the the music library, and ripping support has been extended to allow for encoding into AAC and WMA, in addition to the currently supported codecs.

One of the first big benefits of the settings refactor has been the inclusion of new settings descriptions. Now, when you highlight a setting that previously made next to no sense, a small description will pop up clarifying what the setting actually accomplishes, as can be seen near the bottom of the below image.

Those familiar with Github are encouraged to consider adding more settings descriptions.

Additionally, profiles can now have their settings levels locked, so if your kids have their own profile, they can’t accidentally switch to more advanced settings, causing major problems throughout XBMC.

The default Wunderground addon has been updated to work with recent builds of XBMC. This primarily results in fixes for previous alphas, but also adds support for 5 locations, and allows for more appropriate labels in certain cases. Backwards compatibility was removed with this update, so users of this addon who are still running Eden may find weather no longer works. Those users are encouraged to switch to the Yahoo weather addon or update to XBMC 12.2.

For those users who experience exceptional lag over their local network, a new Advanced Setting has been included that allows significant cacheing over the network. In most modern networks, this setting should not be necessary, but it is useful in some edge cases.

Finally, recent work has been done to speed up the pace at which XBMC loads thumbnails for videos without any attached artwork. The speed of thumbnail loading had regressed since XBMC 11. This work returned some of that speed.

OS-specific Updates
Both XBMC for Windows and OSX now support their respective copy/paste functions (either ctrl+v or CMD+v).

XBMC for Android has finally be updated to match the other platforms with Zeroconf support. In particular, this means it can act as an Airplay receiver. Additionally, XBMC can now act as a default player of video, audio, and image files when launched from an Android file browser.

I bolded the stuff that looked interesting.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
XBMC 13 "Gotham" August Cycle is now available, and includes some cool stuff, including 3D support (something I never saw coming, so that's pretty cool). Link. Also, hope you aren't still holding on to that WinXP system, because XBMC is dropping support for it.

quote:

For those keeping track, we’ve just completed alpha #7 in the August cycle, which includes two absolutely massive new features: Stereoscopic 3D support and Android Hardware video decoding. As always, the monthly alpha build is available on our Snapshots page, and the typical warning applies: this is alpha software; things are very likely to break. With that said, let’s look at what we’ve been working on.

Android Hardware Decoding
It’s been a long time coming, but we are excited to announce that hardware decoding of video has finally made its way to the XBMC for Android platform. The most important caveat is that the implemented hardware decoding does not support AmLogic or Allwinner chipsets, and it does require Android 4.0 (“Ice Cream Sandwich”) or higher to run. With that said, the more popular tablets sold in the past year, such as the Nexus 7 and 10, should work quite well with this alpha, and users are welcome to discuss their experiences in the comments below. Kudos to Koying for his work on this project.

Stereoscopic 3D Rendering
For you lovers of 3D out there, we are also pleased to say that we now support 3D movies encoded in the following formats: SBS, TAB, anaglyph, and interlaced (on supported platforms for passive TVs). Unfortunately, XBMC cannot yet support 3D blurays and cannot provide hardware acceleration for FullSBS/TAB movies (therefore limiting those videos to relatively high powered CPUs).

A useful feature that also comes with this alpha is a dedicated button to toggle 3D mode, which has two benefits: First, while XBMC should automatically recognize 3D-encoded movies, if it fails to recognize the format, users can force 3D mode. Second, users are now welcome to encode all their ripped blu-rays into 3D and skip making a second encode in 2D, because toggling off 3D mode on a 3D recognized movie will simply display the film in traditional 2D. This button requires an update to your skin of choice, so, if you are not using Confluence, feel free to point the feature out to your favorite Skilled Skinner.

Some of the newly available 3D Options
Some of the newly available 3D Options

Context Menu Clean-up
In addition to bigger features, if you’ve been following along, you know that we’ve been working for quite some time on making the entire user experience more friendly. To that end, this past month has been one of cleaning up the context menu. We’ve worked to clean it up in two ways. First, we’ve pulled items out that don’t actually make sense to be in a context menu. Second, we’ve moved some options that people rarely use into a second “Manage” dialog.

In your day-to-day experience, this means the Update Library option is now always available in the side-bar, as can be seen in the below picture. This is quite similar to how we’ve moved the different setting levels (Basic/Standard/Advanced/Expert) to the sidebar on the System Settings pages.

UpdateLibrary

And the context menu has a new option to explore the Manage menu…

ManageOption
Manage… option

Manage... menu for TV shows
Manage… menu for TV shows

Goodbye Windows XP
We are happy to announce that we will be joining Microsoft in dropping support for Windows XP in 2014 by dropping support for XP with XBMC 13. At present, there are certain features that are being held back by our continuing support of the XP platform, and the best path forward is to halt support on the roughly 12 year old OS. Vista, 7, and 8 will all continue to be supported from this point forward.

Hasta la XP, baby.
Hasta la XP, baby.

Bug List and Other Changes
A change that certainly couldn’t be called a feature involves Weather Underground. Unfortunately, WU is currently being hit with far more XBMC traffic than even a full sponsorship could pay for. To resolve this, at least in the short term, XBMC 13 will now ship without a default weather app. Users who are upgrading will not see a change, and new users are welcome to re-download the addon if they choose.

Finally, below are some notable bugs fixed with this month’s update

EPG no longer crashes when there is no EPG data
Music Database fixes
font processing fixes
Fixed non-trivial dirty rectangle modes
Fix gain for MP3 files (vs FLAC and other audio files)
Fix file parse bugs (results in speedier file parsing)
Numerous Raspberry Pi fixes
Conclusion
Of course, as always, this is merely a very small sample of the many changes in this cycle. If you are feeling a bit brave and a bit lucky, it’s time to start downloading. Be aware though, that this is very alpha software with potentially numerous bugs. There is a good chance that this alpha will break on you.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

jonathan posted:

Im wondering if 3d support automatically kicks out a proper 3d. As in, will the TV/Projector change to 3d automatically ? I think I will need to try this out.

edit: Gave it a shot. Its nice that the interface works in SBS now. Having trouble getting XBMC to scan/tag movies as 3d. Also searching for discussion related to this. adding "3dsbs" to the filename doesn't seem to work.

Ideas ?

No, I doubt it, since half SBS stuff isn't true HDMI 1.4 Approved Official Patented Three Dee.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Didn't that (and most of bluecop's stuff) stop working at some point? It has been awhile since I looked at the XBMC forums, but I don't think there's a good way to stream Amazon stuff via XBMC. On a side note, having used it recently, the 360 interface is great. :v:

I should probably go through the XMBC forums and see if there's any OP worthy skins/add-ons that I've missed. Anything else need to be added while I'm at it?

Edit: I just skimmed the WIP skins, the first page of each skin subforum, and the video/program add-ons, and didn't see anything worth noting.

:shrug:

EC fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 16, 2013

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

kri kri posted:

Artic skin is alright, nice blend of a bunch of different skins. Amber was made 1.0 and is in the main repo.

Amber seemed like a gussied up Confluence clone, and Artic has way too much wasted space in the screenshots. I suppose I'll add Amber since it's in the repo and people might like that sort of thing.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

jonathan posted:

I just went through a bunch of skins, and at the end of the day, Aeon Nox still looks the best to me. Interface looks professional, scrolling looks good. Everything else looks somewhat amateur.

My favorite is still metropolis. I'm not a big fan of the heavy fanart skins, and metropolis is easy to use.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Just a heads up, iOS7 breaks AirPlay compatibility with XBMC. They don't have a timeline to fix it, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

bam thwok posted:

How's chromecast compatibility coming along?

I have no idea what that is! :v: I just saw the AirPlay thing on Twitter and thought if mention it here, since ios7 is the hot new thing.