Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.
Over the weekend I put an antenna in my attic and installed a Hauppauge 2250 in my Linux 12.04 server, which also serves as a MySQL server for XBMC. Last night I got MythTV up and running as my XBMC PVR backend. Let me know if anyone has any questions about launching an all-out attack on your junk with a ball-peen hammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Taco Avenger posted:

Does anyone use PS3 controllers with XBMC on Windows 7? If so, I'd like to know how to set it up because a.) I'm used to them and b.) I don't really feel like laying down another 70 for wireless controllers. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I never used one within XBMC, but I used one in Windows 7 "natively" a couple years ago when I was playing through Dead Space. You need a Bluetooth receiver if you don't already have one, and I ended up using some software from here http://www.motioninjoy.com/

I don't have any specific instructions from there, but as I recall it would get set up as some HID controller in Windows.

Sorry, I realize that's kind of vague, but maybe it'll point you in the right direction.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Begall posted:

Been using it since Eden, along with Tvheadend, it's pretty good. EPG works perfectly, channel changes are decently quick (couple of seconds) and recordings can be set from the EPG. The only things missing from the front end in day-to-day use is the ability to set series recordings and timeshifting is there but no FF/RW yet.

The level of integration really depends on the backend you choose though. For example, I think only Tvheadend & VDR have quick channel changes times, other backends and you may be looking at 5+ seconds.

I initially tried MythTV, then switched to TvHeadend, thinking that fast channel changes was important to me, but ultimately TvHeadend's inability to pause and rewind live TV was a deal-breaker, so I switched back to MythTV. I haven't clocked it, but I don't think takes 5 seconds to switch; a couple, maybe, but 5 sounds high.

The real shortcoming of MythTV is the backend setup/GUI. Holy poo poo, is it bad. As a software engineer, I have to wonder why the dev decided to inflict it upon the world. I also understand, though, that some guys value functionality over usability, which seems to be the case here.

At any rate, it's certainly not a point-and-click operation to get the PVR functionality up and going, and the integration falls a little short of professional DVR software, but it's close enough, and when you combine it with SickBeard, my needs are met well enough that I'm canceling cable this week. I'm waiting on my Flirc unit before I do it, but it requires some advanced remote setup as well.

Now I just need to figure out how to watch hockey games from Comcast SportsNet, and I'm good.

Anybody have suggestions for streaming sports broadcasts?

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

jonathan posted:

two questions:

Why does my entire music library disappear every couple days forcing an entire rescan ? I think it might have something to do with xbmc opening before the NAS drive has enough time to wake up. his is a windows 7 install with Stable Frodo 12.1 but its been happening since Frodo or possibly since I set everything up on a nas.

Second, I've been trying to boot into the OpenElec installer off a USB drive. It hangs after the first Line (SysLinux 4.0 etc etc). Is there a way I can just install the right stuff onto the USB stick without the installer ? This seems to be a very common issue with no answers on the forums, dating back to 2010.

Which flavor OpenELEC installer are you trying to use? The "Intel" installer is for onboard Intel graphics chips, not necessarily Intel CPUs.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Speaking of, can the A3500 run Aeon Nox? I tried installing it, but the lag was absolutely terrible. I don't know if this was due to Windows updates trying to run at the same time, or if the system just can't handle the skin (which would bum me out, since I really like it.)

It runs fine on mine, but I'm running OpenELEC 3.0.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

snuff posted:

I played files locally and it still stuttered occasionally, I'm talking about 15-20gb .mkv files. All the other issues I had were secondary, although not having 24Hz would also be a dealbreaker, I don't understand how people can stand the judder.

And there's an official 1080p bug? Wow, I should have done some more research :(

Anyway I'm glad it's working out for you, I just expected a more refined product.

Although after having experienced XBMC, it's hard for me to go back to the old WDTV Live.

I have one of these too, and I haven't seen much of the "1080p bug." I didn't even know it was an issue. I ran my favorite choke test against it, the goose scene from Planet Earth, and while the Xios didn't take it in stride, it didn't stutter so much that I was excessively bothered by it.

I will agree with you that I don't think this particular device should be on the shelves at this point. It's somewhat odd to me that they ask the amount of money that they do for something that barely works out of the box. It was pretty clearly rushed to market, which is unfortunate because it seems to have a lot of potential, but you're right that it's not there yet.

edit:

berzerkmonkey posted:

What is the setup with OpenElec like? I don't have anything crazy going on right now, but I do have an IR dongle thingy for my Harmony remote.

Your IR dongle won't be an issue, most likely. Depending on the kind you have, in the eyes of your computer, it's effectively a keyboard.

kri kri posted:

You download your correct version, install that to a thumb drive, boot from that, install to whatever you want. I use a 8gb sd card. From then boot from the OE drive and that is all there is to it. It just boots right into xbmc. It could hardly be easier.

Yeah, it's really pretty easy. In the case of the A3500, you want the Fusion installer found here. If you're using Windows to set up your thumb drive as an install stick, you'll want to run the create_installstick.bat from within an Administrator-empowered command line. Just a tip.

Fillerbunny fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 10, 2013

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

fourwood posted:

Okay, why can't I figure this out... what the hell do the stars mean in the TV episodes listings? Some episodes have a star, some don't. I can't seem a way to turn them on or off, and I've found nothing to tell me their significance. I'm using the Aeon Nox skin with fairly default settings, if it makes a difference, but I seem to recall them being there on the standard skin, too.

It's used to designate an episode as "new," though I'm not sure what the qualifications are. The stars seem to hang around for a week or so, or until you watch them, at which case they get a check mark to indicate they have been watched.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

suddenlyissoon posted:

Yeah, the problem with that is accessing it remotely. Currently I have my NAS pointing to a DDNS name and connect XBMC at work, on my iPhone & my iPad through AFP using the DDNS address. It works flawlessly. I've never seemed to get the UPNP working remotely.

I think there's some CIFShare utility you can get to make Samba shares working on your Android phone, if you haven't tried that already.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

GobiasIndustries posted:

edit2: could a bad network cable be causing a bad connection with the router perhaps?

It sounds to me like you have network issues. Have you been able to try something like VLC on your HTPC? You need to eliminate some possibilities first.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

EC posted:

Unless something has changed recently, you're stuck crafting custom NFOs for them and making smart playlists for each "category".

This, plus laziness, is why I keep getting asked why I have "High School Musical."

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.
What are people's impressions of Trakt? I'm interested in it, but in order to push my watched status of my current library I'd be looking at writing a script to push it all out to the trakt API, and I don't know if I think it's worth the effort.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Webbeh posted:

Trakt's plugin syncs with your Trakt account on first login. So, those watched statuses would carry over into Trakt. At least, this is what happened for me.

kri kri posted:

You can sync your current watched status with the current official Trakt addon. It works great, I have had no issues at all.

See, that's what I expected to happen, but after installing the plugin and getting it configured, my account on the site shows that I have 0 library items. That's why I was looking into writing my own script to push all that out. Do you guys use a MySQL backend? Does it make a difference?

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.
I had to restart XBMC to get it to work. I don't recall seeing this in their install instructions. :mad:

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.
You have to make certain the content of your folder/source is set correctly. You might find some useful information here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Media_sources

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Hyrax posted:

the Xios DS I've almost bought a couple of times.

I've mentioned before that I have one of these, and I can't recommend anyone buy it.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.
I know what he's talking about. In Aeon Nox there are actually two different menus you can call up while a video is playing. One is the icon screen which lead to different sub menus like audio, etc. The other is video details. The former can be pulled up by hitting the Enter key by default. The latter is accessed by hitting the I key. The XBMC wiki has information about changing the default key mapping, if you're looking to change it.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.
I don't know that you'd be able to accomplish all that with just OpenELEC anyway, unless there are plugins for sabnzbd, sickbeard, couchpotato, and headphones. OpenELEC is geared more toward a device that has a single purpose: watching videos. Yes, it can do more, but you're almost better off if you let it stick to what it does best.

In your case, you're probably looking at XBMCbuntu. Though I might suggest some sort of VM setup at first, probably with VirtualBox, to get the hang of it before making the leap. I jumped in with both feet, and I kind of wish I had eased into it a little more than I did. I think a VirtualBox setup with help that.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

EC posted:

Just a heads up, iOS7 breaks AirPlay compatibility with XBMC. They don't have a timeline to fix it, either.

It does? I've had iOS7 running for a week or so now and was streaming music over AirPlay. Of course, that was to my Xios DS box running a slightly older (as in, a few weeks old) version of the nightly build that community puts together. I don't have the details of it at the moment, unfortunately.

Somewhat related, does anyone else run OpenELEC with an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station as their main router? Ever since I switched routers, I've been having issues with local name resolution for my OpenELEC device, and can no longer stream to it via AirPlay. I've been scratching my head about it for a few weeks now.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Fillerbunny posted:

does anyone else run OpenELEC with an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station as their main router? Ever since I switched routers, I've been having issues with local name resolution for my OpenELEC device, and can no longer stream to it via AirPlay. I've been scratching my head about it for a few weeks now.

In case anyone was curious or had similar issues, the latest version of OpenELEC, 3.2.0, fixed this for me.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

IUG posted:

I didn't see your original issue with it, but I had something similar. I just moved, and my parents are using a Time Capsule as their wifi router. Now I'm on a Linksys at my house, and my XBMC can no longer take controls from the XMBCRemote app, and Airplay will no longer work. I haven't changed my IP settings on either my phone or computer, just changed the Linksys to match that schema.

I know that Airplay can work, because I can use Shareport4w without a problem to stream the audio. But I just wanted the visualizer on XBMC because I have a brain problem.

The XBMCRemote app has the ability to find XBMC hosts on your network. Is it not finding yours? If not, it's entirely likely that your new router has some sort of port blocking/filtering going on that is turned on be default. In any case, your first step would be to verify that your XBMC device actually has the IP that your Remote app thinks it has.

While we're on the subject of AirPlay, EC had mentioned that iOS7 broke it for XBMC. What iOS7 broke was video playback. Audio can still stream via AirPlay just fine.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

tarepanda posted:

What's the best option out there for playing blu ray discs and DVDs in XBMC without ripping them first? OpenElec doesn't seem to be able to do it, so I guess my other two options are XBMC on Ubuntu or Windows.

Or should I just give up on integrating it and go for a separate blu ray player?

The second one. There's so much bullshit surrounding decoding BluRays it's just not practical. Get the external player.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Cornjob posted:

Probably a stupid question. I have a Foxconn A3500 running Openelec. Its great, except it be a bit sluggish with some skins, and slow to load cover art in wall view.

If i want better skin performance, should I:

1. get more memory in my A3500?
2. get a different more powerful net top?
3. quit fooling around with wimpy crap and get a serious HTPC running openelec?

I guess my question is: whats the weakest link?

I think you know by now that I run the same system, but I've never run into any sluggishness when running Aeon Nox. What drive do you have in there? How much RAM? What skins are you running into issues with?

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Cornjob posted:

I'm running Openelec from. 16gb thumb drive. No internal storage in the foxconn. My content is on four 2tb drives that are all directly connected via USB.

I have 4gb ddr3 internal memory.

In virtually any skin, wall view can take as much as 5 seconds to load all the covers. With skins like aeon, transitioning from the main menu a wall mode, it takes about 10 seconds

Mine's the same except I have a 32gb ssd inside that I use to run the OS. I also have a NAS running over gigabit network that holds all my media. I seem to recall reading about how thumbs are cached to the local storage as of Frodo, so I would imagine that is where your bottleneck lies. I certainly don't experience anything like you describe. The main menu to wall view of my movies comes up in less than 2 seconds.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.
Out of the ones I've tried, NextPVR is your best bet, if you're running Windows. TVHeadend was pretty painless in terms of set up, but slow channel change times and the inability to pause live TV was enough to get me to switch back to MythTV while I was running Linux on my TV server. MythTV is a giant pain in the sack to get running properly.

edit: With NextPVR I've recently encountered issues with recordings not showing up in the list unless I reboot my XBMC client. Not a big deal if you're running the client on a machine you use for other things, but for an OpenELEC install, it's an inconvenience.

Fillerbunny fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 2, 2013

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

DarkSol posted:

I did, but its wouldnt save my configs and couldnt get sound to work.

Please post about it if you ever solve this problem with not getting sound from retroarch.

I was able to get sound to work, but in a really janky way. The details escape me, but basically I had to set XBMC to release the sound card after a period of inactivity, and then if I launched the emulator from the command line, sound would work. It would be much nicer to not have to wait for the timeout and simply launch it from the menu like a normal plug-in.

That, combined with my 360 controller disconnecting and the flashing lights discouraged me from pursuing it, but I'm all ears if there's an easy answer out there.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I understand that a lot of emulators have a hard time seeing files outside the local file system. Is it possible to map a share to a ROM storage folder on my network, or is it just better to have the ROMs stored locally on the HDD or SD card? Normally, I wouldn't have a problem storing locally, but I'm using an old SSD and space is at a premium.

In my experience, trying to run roms over the network is laggy as poo poo. I think I did some mild trickery with symbolic links and a mounted network share, and it was a mostly miserable experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm probably just doing something wrong and will have to mess with it more. When you export your video library, it gives you a folder with an xml file and subfolders with all the thumbnails and stuff. I pushed just the xml file to the userdata folder but couldn't find it to import it, so I thought maybe I needed the whole folder.

Pretty sure you're doing something wrong. All you need to get MySQL working is the advancedsettings.xml file in the userdata folder. Well, that and a properly functioning MySQL database, of course.