Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's literally a no-name chinese android box with a sticker on top and preloaded kodi w/ illegal add-ons being sold at a 700% markup.

Don't let your parents buy one.

I thought this is one reason they switched names so that they could have some control over companies that do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

I walked by a mall kiosk the other day where a dude was selling those lame M8 chinese boxes with Kodi and the sports addons preloaded for $300 a pop....in suburban Canada. poo poo is really widespread now and they would need an expensive legal team to do anything about it.

http://kodi.tv/introducing-kodi-14/

quote:

Legal Problems
Beyond the nonsensical nature of the software’s name, there is a secondary issue. Because “XBMC” was originally based on the name Xbox, the developers of the software (that’s us) have never had any sort of legal control over the use of its name, which has resulted in a whole slew of problems.

In the past few years, we have seen the mass confusion that resulted from this lack of control first hand. Users have been fooled into wasting money buying boxes running hacked and typically broken versions of XBMC. News sites and blogs have gotten caught in confusing language numerous times. Unrelated fan communities, often founded under the best of intentions, have found themselves under attack, simply because no guidelines existed to simplify the process of clearly distinguishing themselves from the XBMC Foundation. What’s more, the Foundation itself and all of its developers have always operated under a potential legal threat from other companies that did have a legal trademark in a similar name. And that legal threat has actually gotten more problematic in recent years.

Because all these problems have been getting more and more pronounced, the Foundation decided to review its options with the help of the legal team at the Software Freedom Law Center. In the end, it was decided renaming the software that we all love so much was the most realistic solution. We’ve done it twice before. We believe this time Kodi will be the name we can keep forever.

So I'm guessing when these streaming sites get shut down and Ma and Pa are out of luck? Kinda like what happened to all those people using IceFilms when MegaUpload got shut down.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I uninstalled Emby from Kodi but I 'm still getting the Netflix "Next video starting in 5" preview screen. How do I blow that away?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I was this close to buying a Shield over the holidays but since the Canadian dollar is way down I decided to wait in case the one I got was DOA.

Is there an equivalent I can get here in Canada? My Revo 3610 is showing it's age.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

wolfbiker posted:

NCIX has the Shield.

Thanks, I didn't know about this company since I rarely buy hardware anymore.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

http://officialandroid.blogspot.ca/2016/01/more-fun-in-living-room-with-android-tv.html

quote:

Android TV brings apps, games, movies, shows, music and more to the biggest screen in your home. From smart TVs to cable box operators, many devices support the Android TV experience. Now you’ve got even more options to find the device that’s right for you. If you’re looking for a new TV, you can select an Android TV from Sony, Sharp and Philips. Later this year, Android TV will be available from Arcelik, Vestel, RCA, Hisense, TCL and Bang & Olufsen. And, for our users in Indonesia, Linknet now has an Android TV offering.

I think I will be getting a Shield to replace my Revo but I don't see getting a new TV just yet. I have a 60" Plasma that still runs great.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

looks like the downloads are up

https://kodi.tv/download/

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

anyone seen some random "squiggly" with some video since the upgrade? I have a revo 3610 and windows 7

EDIT: seems to be better when I switched Playback settings > Adjust display refresh rate to Always. Odd that this if the first time in years that I've had to change that.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 22, 2016

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I know it's not really on topic here but does anyone know why Netflix on a PS4 would play 5.1 but not on an Nvidia Shield? Both are plugged into the same amp via HDMI.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Ixian posted:

Depends on what "5.1" we are talking about but since it's Netflix it's DD. Some clients are restricted because DD requires a license/royalty and not all of them have it but the Shield isn't one of them, it'll play DD 5.1 on Netflix just fine. However it's a little more finicky on the Shield than some other devices - the app relies on the HDMI handshake to tell it what is supported, and older A/V receivers that support 1.4 or below don't provide the information it is looking for.

Or at least that used to be the problem. Are you fully up to date on your Shield software? I could have sworn I remember this was addressed at some point. I have an HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 receiver (the newer 4k support) and haven't had this problem.

I just bought a Shield a few days ago and it did the full firmware update. My amp (just a Panasonic sound bar and sub) plays Netflix 5.1 fine from the PS4 and the Shield can will play 5.1 videos in Kodi.

Not a huge deal, just an annoyance really. Some Netflix content, I don't care if it's fine 5.1 or not. If I do watch a movie that has it I just fire up the PS4.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Ixian posted:

I don't think there is a license issue in this case, I think it's something to do with how Netflix detects whether DD 5.1 is supported or not via the HDMI handshake. Depending on how the original poster's chain is set up (via a sound bar in this case) there may be some issue preventing it from "seeing" support. There used to be a bug with older Shield firmware that caused this but I thought that was fixed.

Kodi is never a great benchmark for whether other devices should/shouldn't work since it uses its own internal player/codecs/etc. It will even decode regular DD on its own since it uses ffmpeg and that doesn't give two shits about licensing. As a commercial application Netflix does.

A better question is why the PS4 works. Also a completely different app/device but the same principle applies there. Sounds like a bug to me - have you tried switching cables/ports on your soundbar? Like, test the Shield with the same cable/port the PS4 uses?

Maybe. The sound bar is a few years old and was a cheaper model. For now it's fine, just a general annoyance.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 26, 2016

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Is any of the IPTV or Ivue stuff worth messing with? Of is it all just the usual crap add ons that break 4 months later?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Also, don't forget you can add Android apps to your Kodi homescreen or whatever. I basically never see the Android launcher because of this...Kodi is my launcher.

This is probably my favorite feature. Just go to Programs, Add and you'll see the apps there. Add them as favorite and you can put shortcuts to them on the main Kodi menu.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I have to wonder if the KODI team may have a slight against Android since they are so against 3rd parties selling cheap Android TVs with modded KODI installs.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I have an older Nexus 7 tablet that I can connect a USB OTG cable to and play mkv files from a thumb drive.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Sorry for the off topic post but I know some of you guys are Plex users and Shield owners.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/6/10/11900638/nvidia-shield-plex-media-server-support

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I bought my Shield when Canada Computers had a deal to include the remote for free. I've yet to get my Harmony working with it but that's because I'm lazy.

I didn't really mind the price because I'll end up using it until it's a dinosaur. My previous XMBC box was a revo 3610 which is now my Sickbeard/NAS machine.

The games are ok, I keep meaning to try the subscription service but I also have a PS4 so I can get my gaming fix there.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

codo27 posted:

So the cheapo box I mentioned above. I was shocked and appalled today to find its not working. When it came the other day, I just booted it up, tried Kodi, then hit the power button on the remote. I went to turn it on today to play something off my NAS seeing there is something wrong with ARC either on my TV or my receiver and it doesn't get sound from the built in player on the TV sometimes, but doesn't have the issue with stuff plugged in to any of the inputs on the receiver itself. Black screen. No buttons on the box, remote not doing anything so I unplugged it and plugged it back in, and started to get something, but it kept flicking on and off, almost like it thought it was a touch screen device and kept turning off the screen. It would quickly fade off, not just go black instantly. Tried other HDMI cables, inputs, even tried the RCA cable that came with it, they worked even less, got nothing from those.

Amazon is refunding me and I think this is the end of my brief experiment with Android TV. Yes, yes I know. These cheap things probably have a 30% fail rate anyway. But I'm just gonna hold out til I can build the 4K PC I've been dreaming of and let my current rig be my HTPC

As most will agree with me, a ShieldTV "just works" and would cost the same as any PC you would build.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Shield also works like a Chromecast so that freed up an HDMI port for me.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Former Revo user here. Actually my Revo is a my sickbeard/NAS server now.

I got the Shield but since I'm in Canada and FireTV is harder to come by. I do like that fact that the Shield can do 4K so when I eventually get a new TV I'll be ready. I also like the ChromeCast support which frees up an HDMI slot

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Inspector 34 posted:

Is there a setting in Kodi to autoplay the next episode of whatever I'm watching? Or is would that kind of setting be specific to whichever addon I'm using?

The Emby plug in does this, it installs a Netflix type of "Next video starting in 7 seconds" type thing that shows up in the right hand corner when you current video has a few seconds left. I think it also may be it's own plug in if you don't want to use all of Emby.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Is SPMC still being maintained or did the Dev make nice with Kodi again?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Bigsteve posted:

Quick question, SPMC has suddenly started to stop playing consistently around the 10 minute mark of movies. I noticed that this was just movies.
My tv shows play fine. They are stored on different disks. I have just tried some movies on a different disk and they play fine.

This rules out the network so im assuming my hard drive is going to die soon? Checking transfer rates and so on.

can you play the vids in VLC?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I can remember five years ago or so everyone was giving their parents and grandparents Rokus with XBMC and IceFilms all setup. Then MegaUpload got shut down and that was that.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Ixian posted:

You go to this page https://play.google.com/apps/testing/org.xbmc.kodi, sign in with your Google account if you aren't already, and click the option to be a tester. After that, you will automatically get the beta on your devices that use the same Google account.

They say it can take a few hours before it takes effect but when I did it I got the beta almost immediately when I checked the Play Store on my Shield so YMMV.

If anyone tries that link, remove the comma :)

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Is trakt.tv still a good tool to use?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Lowen SoDium posted:

Amazon is taking preorders for the new Shield TV set top box at $200.

It finally has Amazon Prime video support, and existing Shield TV units are supposed to get a software update later this month that will include Amazon as well.

Anyone looking for an Android TV set top box for Kodi should seriously consider it as it has the highest performance out of any of them and now supports all of the major streaming services.

I just bought one last year. I read Amazon's page but I nothing stands out as to what is different other than the slim remote is included and the game controller is s little less original XBox looking

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

From what I can tell, the big difference in the 2nd gen is in the remote. The slim remote will have the option to be "always on" so you can use Google Assistant without having to push the search button.

EDIT: http://www.androidcentral.com/heres-whats-happening-original-nvidia-shield-android-tv

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 10, 2017

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I'm using SPMC on the Shield, and the game controller stopped working. It still works in other apps. And it definitely worked before. Anyone else encountered this?

I'm back to Kodi as they seem to have resolved the Android issues and I've not noticed SPMC updating in quite a while.

Not saying that this is a fix but just fyi

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

The only issue I have with the new skin is that when I use the pseudoTV plug in, my "continue watching" list is littered with all the shows and movies that the Add on loaded up.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

PuTTY riot posted:

edit: oh yeah, how come I can't get dolby digital working? It works on netflix-- so not a hardware/android issue, and I turned on aduio passthrough. I get a second or so of static before the sound starts, in stereo.

I have the opposite issue but my PS4 can play Dolby from Netflix and Amazon with no issue. I think it may be that my sound bar is older and can't do the newer AC3 audio format in Android.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

I assume it's an April fools joke, but the Kodi domain shows a seized by ICE page.

It's a stupid loving joke if it's actually a joke, because I just sit down to try and update my kodi adding and change my skins around, but you can't download any adding because they're served off the kodi.tv domain.

So thanks for wasting my time, kodi.

(my guess is they're trying to make a point about distancing themselves from all the pirating poo poo.)

From https://www.reddit.com/r/kodi/comments/62os7s/site_down/

If you are trying to install addons that are not working because of unmet dependencies this is because the basic addons/scripts hosted on the kodi.tv site are down and so the other addons are failing when they try to install those scripts. Try to install the addon and watch which script/dependency fails, then you can download and install that script by going here: https://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/xbmc/addons/krypton/script.module.beautifulsoup/

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I have an Nvidia shield and while it is on the more expensive size, it should last for quite a while and has 4k capability. Plus I can just exit out of Kodi if I want to run Netflix or Amazon.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Ixian posted:

Buy the FLIRC for $20 off Amazon and kiss your IR problems goodbye with the Shield. I have them on all three of mine.

Do you just need the USB dongle plugged into the Shield or do you have to have it plugged into the raspberry Pi they also sell?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I ordered a Flirc last week and it works flawlessly with my Harmony 650. I didn't even have to configure the thing; just added the Flirc as a device to the Harmony setup.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

mattfl posted:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4602600/The-final-blow-Kodi-TVAddons-library-shuts-down.html

I foresee a lot of angry people who bought those cheap fully loaded kodi boxes becoming upset that they can no longer use them. A guy I work with sells them to docs/nurses and I've tried to tell him he's going to get burnt once all these places shut down, I think the day is finally coming.

Same thing happened when MegaUpload got shut down. Tons of people gave mom n' dad a box setup with IceFilms and that last about 6 months before everything was broken.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Minidust posted:

Make sure FLIRC is in there, FLIRC owns. For PC at least.

This is how I connect my Harmony 650 to my Shield. I didn't even have to configure it, just added it as a device in the Harmony software and it was all good.

Also note that Shield supports 4k so its something that will be around for a few years.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I have a 1st gen Shield that is connected via HDMI to my sub/sound bar. Lately when I start playing a video sound defaults to PCM instead and DTS or Dolby. If I go into Kodi system settings > audio and change any options for Keep Audio Device Alive is all starts working again...until the next day.

Any ideas? I'm not using optical cables anywhere.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Horn posted:

I've found that Kodi doesn't save settings until you exit the app gracefully sometimes so try changing the settings and using the menu within Kodi to exit.

This seems to have worked. thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

17.5 broke Android TV really good. Get the 15.5.1 APK from them and everything is fixed.