Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

YouTuber posted:

Is there a way to have XBMC use the Analog out on my RaspPi when playing music, but use the HDMI for Video? I'd like to be able to turn my TV off when playing music through the stereo. As it stands now I have to keep the TV on for sound to pass on the RCA out jacks to the stereo.

Can you go direct from the RP to the speakers? That's how I solved the same problem on my Zotac AD10 setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

YouTuber posted:

I can't do HDMI->Speakers. The controller box is for an old Aiwa stereo from 1997 so I have to run a 3.5mm -> RCA wire from the Raspberry Pi to the Stereo. Currently the TV gets the audio from the HDMI cord then passes it on to Stereo via RCA wires. If I could broadcast to both the 3.5mm jack and HDMI at the same time I'd be able to turn the TV off and just listen to music.

What I'm suggesting is, only broadcast to the 3.5mm jack. (Though if you can get both outputs to work simultaneously that would work too of course, not sure if that's possible)

If you're in OpenElec you might have to mess with asound.conf to change defaults, I started here:
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Config_sound_menusound

There may be a way by tweaking asound.conf to get two ports to act as one output, but I wouldn't know where to start.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Any tips for allowing remote access to media on an OpenElec HTPC? SFTP would work but that would be a security risk I imagine. The best option would be UPNP if possible, otherwise maybe opening up the SMB port might work? Just wondering if there's an easy solution built into XBMC/OpenElec so I don't have to reinvent the wheel/become a network security expert.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

synapseattack posted:

I don't think SMB would work even if you did forward the ports. I highly highly recommend webdav.

Do you mean this one? http://www.reddit.com/r/xbmc/comments/16bc5z/best_way_to_implement_an_xbmc_serverclient/c7um7v8?context=3
I wrote it up and I use WebDav for my media access and mysql for the DB which is accessible from outside my network. I find this to be a very good way to implement external access.

A couple questions:
1. Is mySQL necessary here? What does it get you? If it's just for keeping track of what's been watched I don't really care.

2. What OS are you running? Your writeup skipped the part I need help with: setting up WebDAV (or some other service) in OpenElec. At this point I'm leaning toward getting an RPi for a dedicated VPN server so I can use UPnP as if I was on the local network.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

synapseattack posted:

RPi with VPN would be a cheaper alternative to building a NAS or Server so yea I can see that benefit.

Any idea what kinda speeds you are going to see with a RPi doing the VPN?

Well if it's possible to run a WebDAV server from OpenElec (seems unlikely or at least too difficult for me to figure out without a step-by-step guide), that would be the best solution.

As for speed, I have no idea. I'm just hoping it's fast enough to stream -V0 mp3 and that I'll able to download/buffer video.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

GateheaD posted:

is Openelec your file server? Otherwise you would run WebDAV on your file server.
Millions of guides of WebDAV on linux out there

Yeah, I don't have a separate file server (someday...), I guess I didn't make that clear. I don't think it has the dependencies for WebDAV and I wouldn't know where to start.

I've seen some good guides for an RPi VPN, plus it seems like a useful thing to have anyway. I'll post here if/when I get going on that project.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I just updated OpenElec and now I'm getting an empty main menu. That is, there is no background, there are no menu items, but the stripe associated with the menu items is there, as is the weather and time bar. All the web services I'm running are still working, SickBeard et al., plus ssh. Any ideas on something I can do with SSH? I did enable the setting "wait for network connection to load XBMC" but if that's the problem then that setting is broken since It's clearly online.

E: weird, I tried to see if I could play something through the http interface, it worked, then I stopped it and the main menu came back up.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 1, 2013

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I don't think that's it since it persisted after a reboot. It turns out pressing 'esc' on my BT keyboard brings the menu up, so I'll just have to reprogram one of the buttons on my flirc remote to 'esc' until I figure out what's going on.

In an unrelated issue, I was playing with the library views and chose one with infinite wrap. Usually I would press 'left' (on the left-most item) to bring up the views menu, but now when I press left it wraps around to the last item. I can't figure out how to change the view. There must be another hotkey for this. Anyone know it?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

It appears it's either left or up, depending on whether your view is scrolling horizontally or vertically. :doh:

E: My startup window was set to TV shows, I changed it to Home then changed the Aeon Nox startup choice (previously unset) to TV. We'll see.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Also on my AD10 I had to disable "common plugin cache" to get the thing to cool down to safe levels.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Can you elaborate a bit what this option is and where I can find it?

It's an add-on (enabled by default). No idea what it does specifically, I thought it might make some plugins/add-ons break but it hasn't that I've noticed. Someone else here suggested it so I'm not sure why it helps.

System > Add-ons > Enabled Add-ons > Services (I think) > Common Plugin Cache (I might be slightly off on the exact name) > Disable

Separate issue (or maybe related to the above): I keep getting a message "Allmusic Add-on: Update failed", but when I tried to uninstall All-music, I looked through Enabled and Disabled add-ons and couldn't find it. What gives?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Edit: also, any way to change the number of recent items for the movie/tv widget in the newest version of Aeon Nox? Apparently I was running an old version, which let me show 3 items, and the newest version defaults to 1 item

Did you ever figure this out?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Since the Gotham > Kodi upgrade there's something weird about video playback. I want to say it's jerky, but not visibly so. Maybe frames are getting skipped? Any idea what's going on? On OpenELEC x86_64.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Although note that it is possible to set up "access from anywhere" with XBMC: install SubSonic. It's pretty sweet. It even works with OpenElec, if you can get Java installed manually.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I recently upgraded from an always-on ZBox running OpenElec with an external HDD to a NAS + ZBox combo. I moved all the always-on server stuff to the NAS so now we turn the OpenELEC off and on as we watch. I also set up a MySQL library on the NAS. My question is: is it possible to get the NAS to update the MySQL library when stuff is added to its sources? It seems weird to have the sources and the library metadata to be on the same machine but the library only updates when a Kodi client connects. Sometimes it can take a while if there's a bunch of new stuff. (especially ATM as we are consolidating our media onto the NAS. not sure how annoying it will be in the future)

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

OK, to be fair, the last time I turned it on I had since added many GBs of music so it was a bit slow as it scanned through that. Maybe it won't be a problem in the future. Or maybe my NAS is slow, or the network between them. IIRC, "scan for new content" was always slow even when there was nothing new but maybe that's something else... Well, probably not a big deal, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some part of setup up a SQL library that I was missing. If it turns out to be slow in practice I'll look into it then.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Yeah I believe we were talking about keeping your NAS always running but not your HTPC. At least that's what I was asking about.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Weird problem on Android Kodi running on a Hi DPI Chromebook. When playing 720p videos, the OSD is cutoff at the letterboxing. This includes the buttons that appear when I move the mouse, subtitles, the "play next" plugin, etc. It seems any GUI element gets covered by the video itself. If I want to change the audio settings, for example, I have to stop playback, open up a 1080p video, change the settings and choose "apply to all media" then go back to the original video. Because I can't see the menu. Is there any hope of fixing this?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I'm using SPMC on the Shield, and the game controller stopped working. It still works in other apps. And it definitely worked before. Anyone else encountered this?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Bonzo posted:

I'm back to Kodi as they seem to have resolved the Android issues and I've not noticed SPMC updating in quite a while.

Not saying that this is a fix but just fyi

The last commit on GitHub was 12 days ago, I'm not worried. If I have reason to believe that a bug in SPMC that's not in Kodi is giving me trouble, I'll switch, but otherwise I can't be bothered. The fact that SPMC is developed for the Shield specifically is enough to keep me on board for now.

And yeah, I don't think there was an actual update to the SPMC app so I'm not sure why the controller stopped working. Something makes me think it's a Shield thing, but who knows.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

What's the current status of SPMC vs. Kodi anyway? I'm still on SPMC on all my devices, because I installed it on my Shield and wanted to be sure all my devices were on the same version to avoid MySQL issues. On my Chromebook (with Android apps) switching to SPMC actually fixed an annyoning bug where Kodi would restart after losing focus. So I'm sticking to SPMC for now even though that means I'm one major version behind. Curious where the community is at though.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Speaking of, I just upgraded my Xpenology to 6.whatever, which now natively supports Docker containers. I'm considering attempting to install Kodi on my NAS in order to receive the library push notifications from my downloaders (so we won't have to update the MySQL library manually on our actual Kodi box). Has anyone tried this?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I'm using sickrage, and yeah that's the idea but the Kodi box is usually off when something finishes downloading. Hence the idea of running a headless Kodi on the NAS itself (which is always on). Looks like someone has already put together a Docker image so I'll probably give this a shot this weekend.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Have kodi scan when it wakes up/turns on.

It does but it takes several minutes.

Thermopyle posted:

FWIW, one of the major reasons to use Emby or Plex with Kodi as the front end on your tvs is that new shows are indexed by their server processes.

Then the corresponding plugin keeps the Kodi database in sync with the backend.

I'll look into those. The server processes can run on the NAS?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Strange, I guess that's the real problem then. I'm not sure exactly how many items but probably around that size.

This has been happening for several years, across many versions of XBMC/Kodi, OpenElec on a Zbox and now a Shield. I've had the NAS pretty much that whole time, connected by ethernet so the speeds are fine. I'm using FTP, could that be the issue?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Well that's easy enough. Thanks for helping me figure it out.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Make sure you use the boot image for the 15 and not 17 model. Lots more add-ons available.

Huh, I'm on 15, maybe this is another easy mistake I made in the past. What am I missing out on? Any idea if it's easy to upgrade?

edit: Maybe you have it backwards: https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7151-difference-ds916-ds3615xs-and-ds3617xs/?page=2 they're saying more packages for the 3615xs than the 3617xs.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 31, 2018

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Ah, I misread your post, swapping 15 and 17. Nevermind.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I finally switched from FTP to NFS and everything got much worse. Videos stream only at 300 kb/s according to my NAS's resource monitor. So, unwatchable. Meanwhile, mounting the NFS share on another computer and playing with VLC works great. Kodi is running on a Shield.

Here's the chain of events that led to my current debacle:
- I changed the paths in sources.xml from FTP to NFS
- Didn't notice any difference, except library scan is slower. Leave it like this for a couple weeks.
- Trying to set up a headless kodi instance to run library scans, I was messing with the JSON RPC to test library access and noticed that old library items still used the [url]ftp://[/url] paths. :doh:
- I fixed all the paths in MySQL.
- At this point I realize that some files are duplicated (in the SQL database, though I never saw a duplicate in the Kodi library) presumably because they were originally added in FTP and then rescanned via NFS. :doh:
- Before attempting to do anything about the duplicates, to test if I got the paths right, I tried to play a file. Unwatchably slow. Tried old ones and newer files that had never been added over FTP, same thing.

There are still duplicate entries in the library, but why would that cause slow streaming speeds?

Unless someone has a better idea, I'm deciding between
A) Give up on watched data, and start over on my library, see if that fixes it. If the problem is that I hosed up the database, this may be the solution.
B) Give up on NFS, change the paths in SQL and sources.xml to use SMB instead. If the problem is NFS, this would be the solution.

Appreciate anyone's thoughts. In the meantime I'm running a library clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I finally switched from FTP to NFS and everything got much worse. Videos stream only at 300 kb/s according to my NAS's resource monitor. So, unwatchable. Meanwhile, mounting the NFS share on another computer and playing with VLC works great. Kodi is running on a Shield.

Here's the chain of events that led to my current debacle:
- I changed the paths in sources.xml from FTP to NFS
- Didn't notice any difference, except library scan is slower. Leave it like this for a couple weeks.
- Trying to set up a headless kodi instance to run library scans, I was messing with the JSON RPC to test library access and noticed that old library items still used the [url]ftp://[/url] paths. :doh:
- I fixed all the paths in MySQL.
- At this point I realize that some files are duplicated (in the SQL database, though I never saw a duplicate in the Kodi library) presumably because they were originally added in FTP and then rescanned via NFS. :doh:
- Before attempting to do anything about the duplicates, to test if I got the paths right, I tried to play a file. Unwatchably slow. Tried old ones and newer files that had never been added over FTP, same thing.

There are still duplicate entries in the library, but why would that cause slow streaming speeds?

Unless someone has a better idea, I'm deciding between
A) Give up on watched data, and start over on my library, see if that fixes it. If the problem is that I hosed up the database, this may be the solution.
B) Give up on NFS, change the paths in SQL and sources.xml to use SMB instead. If the problem is NFS, this would be the solution.

Appreciate anyone's thoughts. In the meantime I'm running a library clean.

Good idea re: trakt, if I can use it to keep my watched statuses then I may as well start over with the library.

I am using wired, via powerline adapters, but besides this issue, speeds have been fine. At least I don't think a network speed issue would explain why NFS is (much) slower than FTP.