Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a way to have XBMC use the Analog out on my RaspPi when playing music, but use the HDMI for Video? I'd like to be able to turn my TV off when playing music through the stereo. As it stands now I have to keep the TV on for sound to pass on the RCA out jacks to the stereo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Keito posted:

I don't know if XBMC can do that, but if not, does your TV have the ability to turn of the screen? Not as practical but will at least cut down power usage.

What about making XBMC/the OS output audio to all outputs?

Nah, this TV doesn't have much in the way of features. If you could describe how to have it output to all audio sources I'd love to hear it. As is I can toggle between HDMI and Analog. The Analog doesn't seem to do anything; but I believe that merely requires a reboot to fix.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Can you go direct from the RP to the speakers? That's how I solved the same problem on my Zotac AD10 setup.

I can't do HDMI->Speakers. The controller box is for an old Aiwa stereo from 1997 so I have to run a 3.5mm -> RCA wire from the Raspberry Pi to the Stereo. Currently the TV gets the audio from the HDMI cord then passes it on to Stereo via RCA wires. If I could broadcast to both the 3.5mm jack and HDMI at the same time I'd be able to turn the TV off and just listen to music.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

kyojin posted:

Hopefully I can help point you in the right direction at least..

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=86038

I have been using this on Windows with Eden for ages and it works perfectly - outputs HDMI to my receiver in DTS etc, and analogue to a stereo amp so that I can listen to music while playing on the PS3. There is a slight timing diffence between the two sources but I don't have any need to use them together so doesn't affect me.

However, it looks like you would need to build yourself for linux on the RPi, and it does not yet support Frodo, although people are beginning to discuss it at least so maybe that will come along sooner rather than later. Hopefully, because this is a showstopper for me..

That's exactly what I'm looking for, I'll check it out tomorrow when I have a few hours to fiddle with things. I'm running Frodo so that's another hurdle I'll have to do also but that thread is already discussing the options at hand. Totally appreciate it, I 've been looking and googling without any luck.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Oh god, I bought a new Android phone on Thursday and finally got around to putting an Airplay application on it so it could beam to my HTPC or RaspPi...

:fap: :fap: :fap: They should have sent a poet. This is what it is like to have 21st century technology interconnecting to eachother.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Gorfob posted:

The official XMBC app sets up the ability to dump Youtube videos straight onto your XBMC in 2 touches. Being able to share stuff that quickly onto a larger screen is loving fantastic.

Can you link this app? I don't see any functionality in the XBMC Remote app I have. I'm just using Airplay to do it.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Vinlaen posted:

Is there any difference in 32-bit or 64-bit for Linux (Ubuntu) XBMC?

I'm debating whether or not to use XBMCBuntu (which installs 32-bit Ubuntu 12.10) or manually installing Ubuntu 12.10 x64.

The system only has 2 GB of RAM but it does support 64-bit so I'm not sure... I've always used 64-bit in the past but I'm not sure what's best in this situation.

Always go for 64-bit on anything if you can. I'd honestly recommend just using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and installing XBMC on it with it set to autostart.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Odette posted:

Is OpenELEC "better" than Raspbmc? Cause I've been using Raspbmc for the past two weeks and I think it's awesome.

I'm not sure what Raspbmc is capable of under the hood. OpenElec runs quite quickly on the Raspberry Pi. However it has no means of adding things to the OS that cannot be run directly through XBMC. If you want to add anything to the Linux portion of the install it's quite painful.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

cixelsyd posted:

When I looked at the two, I had problems with Openelec on the Pi when forwarding video that was shared out from my nas. The screen would go totally white and then slowly come back to normal. Raspbmc didn't do that. I think Openenelc handles the fanart a little bit better because it seems to "low-res" it a little bit which makes it faster to load. The Youtube plugin worked a hell of a lot better on Raspbmc than it did on Openelec.

I did all the testing on Openelec 3 RC 1 so they probably fixed some of it since then.

I did two comparison videos if you wanna take a look, but again, it was on older versions than are out there now -> http://www.youtube.com/xbmcstuff

The Youtube plugin has been abandoned by the developers last time I checked and is in stasis. I had to download a patch to fix it from another person in the thread on the XBMC forums. That isn't confined to OpenElec. All XBMC builds had the problem.

Edit: He does his videos with the same hardware/TV that I have. He's confined to 720p as I also am. 720p playback is near seamless in everything I do. DTS passthrough and 1080p downscaling however tends to be a problem with the Raspberry Pi in general.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 3, 2013

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone else have problems running the Al Jazeera stream application with a Raspberry Pi using OpenElec? Mine just closes and opens the "Busy" dialog window over and over until it gives up.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

MeKeV posted:

Not sure if this is beyond the scope of the thread. But I've had the idea of dual booting openelec and chrome(ium)OS from USB on my main htpc.

From what I can gather openelec is good, but its browser options are lacking/an after thought. So thought a fast re boot into chromium might be an idea?

Though having not used either yet, I thought I'd sound it out here first before I get round to trying it. Couldn't find any like for like examples elsewhere, YouTube etc.

Theoretically this would be quite simple. I'm not familiar with the Google OS and how it works with anything but their netbooks but Linux dual boots just fine using the Grub2 bootloader. Linux distro by their nature treat other OS as a hobby. It's only Windows that tries to flatten and destroy everything outside of itself.

Head here and run the question by them http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2389159

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

cixelsyd posted:

I had the same problem where it was clicking really loudly,and I ended up getting a bluetooth receiver for my stereo. Since I mostly wanted to use pandora to listen to music this worked out well. If you are interested, I got this one on amazon for $27 (http://www.amazon.com/HomeSpot-NFC-...etooth+receiver)

It is NFC enabled so you can easily pair your phone and then just fire up your favorite music that way.

Would that work for the Google Play music? I use it on my Desktop and Phone but I'd really love being able to use my real speaker system for it. XBMC and Linux in general seem to lack options for native implementation for it. What I mean is, when synced with that reciever the phone doesn't need a "send to xyx device" confimation. Google Play is more or less a Flash/HTML5 webpage.

I've tried using Nuvola Player for native Linux and Flash is being a dickhead problem again since Adobe abandoned Linux.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 25, 2013

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
What is the deal with Android XBMC? Why is it so stunted in development? With a user base so large and a common framework with Linux shouldn't it have been a cinch to port it over?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

This thread reminded me that I still have an OG Xbox gathering a lot of dust under the TV.
I'm going to update it with the new fangled xbmc4xbox build and see how quickly it chokes on anything I try to feed it.

Anyone else still got ye olde Xboxen?

The old Xbox couldn't handle .mkv files so it quickly became obsolete. It's still an excellent platform for playing emulated games up to the lower end of the N64 era. However I wouldn't buy a brand new Xbox just for playing emulated games when a Raspberry Pi likely could handle it just as easily.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Keito posted:

Is it a trivial process to install/upgrade sabnzbd and friends straight from git on OpenELEC?

The SAbnzbd suite as it's called on the stock OpenElec images is horribly out of date. Last time I used it there was a guy running his own Repository that overwrites the stock image's repo and updates it to more current releases. I would wholeheartedly recommend running a Linux install if you're going to use the Usenet stuff just to avoid any poo poo that piggybacks along with what you download.

However, everything has to be done from within XBMC when using Openelec. There is no SSHing in and doing apt-get for poo poo. Everything has to be done by hand in a very tedious manner. If you want poo poo to run behind XBMC stick with a more complete Linux distro like Xbmcuntu or whatever it's called.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

haljordan posted:

Yeah I'm really only looking to upgrade because I finally got an actual HDTV and pretty much the only thing I don't like about my current XBOX setup is no HD support. A friend of mine actually sent me a few links to some Android devices so I might seriously consider one of those instead.

Waiting around another couple months isn't a deal breaker; most of my content is XViD anyways.

Raspberry Pi works just fine for 720p from personal experience. 1080p is reported to work as well, however, you could get hung up on films and shows that have DTS Audio. If your TV handles DTS-Passthrough it apparently works fine. If not you may have a chance of the CPU bottlenecking and getting some stuttering. I haven't read up on that DTS issue lately so I may just be talking poo poo. Groups like OpenElec have builds and groups just for working on the RaspPi.

Hold off on the Android devices, apparently Android is a loving shitshow when it comes to XBMC.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
This thread moves faster than the Raspberry Pi one so I'll ask here

Anyone with experience with Raspbmc able to tell me if you can drop out of XBMC into the Debian session like you would with XBMCBuntu? I like OpenElec but I'd really like to be able to use things like Nuvola Player http://nuvolaplayer.fenryxo.cz/home.html so I could listen to Google Music.

For that matter does the Raspbian build use PulseAudio? I could just stream directly from my current computer to the Raspberry. Airtunes doesn't recieve from any RAOP sinks I create on my Linux session when running OpenElec on the RaspPi. After installing paprefs on Linux Mint it certainly recognizes the OpenElec build as an Airtunes target but nothing ever happens when I stream to it. The Media player just doesn't play songs, it stops at the current time. I believe this is because the RaspPi uses OSS or Alsa but I'm not positive on this.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 6, 2013

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Gozinbulx posted:

Anyone have a nice little script that will update XBMC libraries that I can put as a part of the SABNZBD post processing? For a windows setup.

I saw some but they either seemed outdated or to be for linux.

There is an addon in the XBMC repository that automatically updates on intervals. I have mine set for 6 hours but you can set it to shorter time periods and not have it update when a movie is playing. Couchpotato and Sickbeard both use Growl to send an update notification to XBMC but it was too unreliable for my tastes.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

walumachoncha posted:

Bottom line is that pvr is a poorly implemented feature in xbmc because some of the main devs have a stick in their rear end about tv. Plus the fact that you have to deal with multiple OS permutations. It's sad that for a one box solution, the closest I can get is mce for tv, and xbmc for everything else.

I was under the assumption that PVR was developed solely by the OpenElec devs and it was a side project compared to to development of the actual distro.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Spekkio posted:

Can't even get that far. I can hear the CD drive buzz and start loading the XBMCbuntu install, but I get no picture on screen.

I'm already running XBMC on Windows and that works so I can confirm there's no problem with the hardware.
I tried it once in my living room on my Bravia TV, when that didn't work I tried it on a BenQ desktop monitor. Both times I could not get HDMI to output during bootup. The monitor reported "no signal".

Can't remember the video card I'm using. It's a low profile GeForce I think. Tried 2 seperate HDMI cables, and tried the inbuilt HDMI out on the motherboard. No luck with anything!

Think I'll just need to hook it up to an older monitor without HDMI as my monitors seem to have trouble displaying those lower resolutions (Although I can't imagine why).

In the launch options for Ubuntu put in nomodeset

In the line that says Linux /boot/vm scroll to the end of that line and put in "nomodeset" no quotes. The picture already has him typing it in but with a spelling error.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any reason why XBMC and Netflix haven't cooperated with eachother and got some sort of API system set up. Didn't Boxee have Netflix support built in? That was just a XBMC port, why can't the main branch get it running?

Also does anyone know if when using an HDHomerun Prime is it possible to run three concurrent sessions of television. As in three different rooms watching different shows at the same time over the network. I don't plan on using it as a DVR. I can get one user to use it via computer easily. I have access to a computer and a Raspberry Pi for TV usage so I'm covered. The third user would be a loving pain in the rear end all around but I think I could force the issue if it meant getting rid of the equipment surcharges from Comcast.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 25, 2013

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
So I've offloaded my HD to a Raspberry Pi and use that for downloading via the Usenet suite. My HTPC no longer needs to be on 24/7. The problem is, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS doesn't have a functioning standby mode without some hacking. Something I'm not too interested in doing.

Anyone using OpenElec able to tell me if it has standby? After the kids finish using the HTPC to watch their disney movies I want it to go into standby after an hour. OpenElec is a plus since I don't have to worry about the underlying OS causing grief by minimizing XBMC. I've tried XBMCuntu and that didn't even make it past the install screen so I had to just install Ubuntu 12.04 and make XBMC launch on startup.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The Gunslinger posted:

Just S3 Sleep? Yeah it does. In the XBMC settings just set "shutdown" to "suspend" and then in the power savings menu I believe you can set auto-off.

Although it's oddly not present in the Gotham build of OpenElec I'm using but I definitely remember it being there in 3.2.4 stable.

XBMC shows the option in my current Ubuntu 12.04 setup but when I tell it to suspend it just essentially locks the program up with that circular hourglass type thing spinning. I'll avoid the Gotham build if that is the case.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

wolfbiker posted:

How does one get a Raspberry Pi with OpenELEC to recognize a thumb drive that's plugged into it? A message pops up that says it sees it but then I can't find it in my files view. Any ideas?

Add source from the File Browser?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

wolfbiker posted:

How does one get a Raspberry Pi with OpenELEC to recognize a thumb drive that's plugged into it? A message pops up that says it sees it but then I can't find it in my files view. Any ideas?

Is the thumb drive formatted? If it isn't format it to NTFS using a different computer. OpenElec is designed to automount removable drives like that. Also I logged in to my open Rpi OpenElec and found I can't use fdisk -l or anything to list poo poo so mounting it by hand and editing the fstab in the Command Line is probably out of the question.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
OpenElec is the best build of XBMC for the Raspberry Pi. RaspBMC takes too much resources since it has Debian running underneath it. As for how it works. It's been my primary device for about a year now. The Gotham beta has the option build in for dual audio device so I can just flip the stereo over to the other jack and turn the TV off and play music through it.

Unfortunately the OpenElec build doesn't run PulseAudio (or didn't last time I checked) so I can't just pair an audio channel from my computer and dedicate a media player program to it over the network. Built in Airtunes wasn't playing nice from my Linux Mint build to the Pi either.

Raspberry Pi loving rules for using as a media center.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

bbcisdabomb posted:

What do you think about Xbian? How does it compare to OpenElec?

I've never used Xbian now that I think about it. I recall there being a poo poo storm of drama from that project back when the scene first developed so I kept away. One of the lead developers for the XBMC project also runs the OpenElec project (or he did at one point) so that tends to be "bleeding edge" as well, whatever that tagline from Xbian is meant to be. OpenElec had the LiveTV functions before any other build of XBMC because of that aforementioned dev. Before that it was exceedingly clumsy to switch channels. Now you get a guide and other nice stuff.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone attempt Eminence with a RaspPi able to describe the performance?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Does PsuedoTVLive actually have an EPG? Hitting the info button pops up information about the current show and I can tab forward to the next show but I can't seem to find a full sized EPG.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone using the Webinterface to control XBMC? The stock default one is rather limited in it's usage. Yatse is amazing but I don't always feel the desire to use my phone to control the xbmc.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone know if it's possible to send Bluetooth audio to an OpenElec build and have it play it as a stream? Airtunes and Pulseaudio are not an option for the Raspberry Pi. If Pulseaudio worked I'd just stream directly from Arch Linux to the Pi. :( I'd like to be able to use my phone or even my other computer to pipe an audio stream to the stereo rather than use the cumbersome XBMC addons.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

alnilam posted:

I've ordered a raspberry pi and I'm planning to use it for my first ever attempt at running XBMC (I used to have an old desktop computer hooked up to my TV, but that setup doesn't work any more).

I was planning to use Raspbmc, simply because it's the one I found the documentation easier for at a glance, but I could certainly figure out the other ones too. Are there any major pros/cons/recommendations about the different flavors of XBMC that will work with a raspberry pi?
I know a lot of it is preference, but I'm wondering if anyone has any strong recommendations against/for any of them, like "don't get X, it's really buggy right now and sort of in alpha stages" or something similar.

The Raspberry Pi has come together quite nicely as an XBMC platform. The three flavors of XBMC for the Pi are Raspbmc, Xbian and OpenElec. Raspbmc runs ontop of an active Debian distro designed for the Raspberry Pi. This means that less resources are being devoted to actually running XBMC. The upside of this being that you can drop down to Raspbian and tinker with stuff to run in conjunction with XBMC. OpenElec is meant to function more like a piece of hardware. Similar to how you turn on a DVD Player or other device it boots directly into XBMC. With OpenElec there is absolutely no extra stuff running behind it. It was Linux tailored solely to run XBMC and not a single package more. It has it's advantages, it boots and runs faster, and the OpenElec build has XBMC devs working on it. OpenElec tends to be the most "set and forget" build of them all. It comes with it's own built in functionality to update itself to the most recent build of OpenElec, be it Nightlies, Stable or Testing.

I'm not familiar with Xbian, there was boatloads of drama when it first came out and it just made me figure it wasn't going to be around for much longer. Apparently they sorted their poo poo and still exist, but what advantages it has over either OpenElec and Raspbian are beyond me. It claims to be "bleeding edge" but that entire concept is quite odd to me since you could just opt in for XBMC nightly builds for both Raspbmc and OpenElec.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

alnilam posted:

Thanks for this helpful post. I'm now slightly torn between Raspbian and OpenElec.

When you say Raspbian has a linux distro running underneath it, does that mean I could like... alt-tab away from xbmc and run some other linux program?

In the shutdown menu button there should be an option to close XBMC and go to the OS but I'm not positive. It's been ages since I've used RaspBMC. OpenElec has done everything I've ever needed.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

David Pratt posted:

I just switched from running RaspMC to running OpenELEC on an old laptop. Holy poo poo. It runs so much faster, and it hasn't crashed once.
Trying to run it on the pi was really painful. It was slow as gently caress, and it never worked right. You may be saving money, but how much do you value your time and sanity?

I do all of my actions from Yatse so menu panning isn't an issue.

I'll ask again since I think the last time got buried. Does anyone have experience running Bluetooth audio to XBMC? Like from a phone and having XBMC play it? Is this possible at all? I see posts talking about sending audio to speakers via BT but never receiving audio.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
What I want to do is stream from one of my Media players on my main computer to my Pi which is running OpenElec and connected to my stereo. Pi doesn't do Pulseaudio so that is a no go. Airtunes also doesn't work so that is another no-go. My next idea was to buy two bluetooth sticks and split the audio channel off to that and have XBMC recieve it.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
So some guy had the same idea that I had and made a blog about it:

http://westmarch.sjsoft.com/2014/04/streaming-audio-linux-to-raspbmc/

I had to use the Upnp/DLNA method he used. I'll have to figure out a way to integrate my phone into this. But I'm sitting pretty at the moment. I can just switch any media center's audio channel in Pavucontrol to this Upnp channel and it plays on the Pi.

Last time I took a stab at this that blog didn't exist. I had no knowledge that rygel was the proper package to activate that in paprefs, even the Arch Wiki has no listings about it.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
So using the DLNA/UPnP streaming from my computer to my OpenElec Pi and it seems to have a delay of about a minute and change . I'm wondering if this because I'm encoding it as FLAC and the Pi isn't able to decode it fast enough or if it's a standard thing for UPnP.

Is anyone else doing this or am I all alone on this issue?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Well the delay isn't an issue any longer. The entire setup no longer works.

The terminal is just kicking out this nonstop ** (rygel:25520): WARNING **: Error sending SSDP packet to 192.168.1.1XX: Error sending message: Invalid argument

Literally nothing has changed between then and now so this is quite interesting.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Why exactly are the XBMC devs so obstinant about not allowing closed source addons? Is it some loving Stallman cult poo poo festering in that dev group or just a conflict in the legal aspect?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I don't mind the transition away from the XBMC name it's totally a logical thing they're doing; however I think they should have thrown a few suggestions out to the community in the form of a poll before settling on Kodi. That name reeks of some focus group polling bullshit. Though I guess I really should be used to idiotic names for open source projects. Ubuntu should have broken me long ago with it Ululating Unicorns and Tromboning Tahrs or whatever they loving call their releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
oh wow, I just realized that since most addons are python that every single one is going to suffer from breakage with this XBMC-Kodi switch unless XBMC remains the internal name. Any time you use the import function that imports poo poo like xbmcgui. This isn't a problem for active projects but the ones with devs that show up once every few years are gonna be hosed.