Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
What's best depends on a few things.

If you're using S/PDIF to connect your PC you want to use passthrough. That connection only has enough bandwidth for CD quality stereo audio in an uncompressed format, anything above that is going to be AC3 or DTS anyways so it's better to pass through rather than decoding and re-encoding with a lossy codec.

If you're using HDMI there's plenty of bandwidth so with proper support at both ends it can do 7.1 24/192 uncompressed. That meets or exceeds the capabilities of any audio track you'll find on consumer media, so anything your PC can decode can be sent along with no loss in quality.

There is the question though, can your PC decode it? As far as I'm aware Kodi does not have a decoder for the high-resolution Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD formats. If I'm correct about that having the PC decode these will result in them falling back to a lower format where passthrough/bitstream mode will allow a supported receiver to get the full thing. DTS-HD is implemented as an addon to a normal DTS stream so it'd fall back there, Dolby TrueHD doesn't have a native fallback but I've never seen it packaged commercially without a normal AC3 track alongside. Potentially some ripped content may discard all but the TrueHD stream in which case the file would be unusable without passthrough to an appropriate decoder.

If you don't have much/any TrueHD/DTS-HD content it doesn't matter, and if you only have a 5.1 system the extra resolution may or may not matter depending on the rest of your equipment and environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

evilalien posted:

Kodi has been able to decode Dolby TrueHD for a while now. I'm not sure about DTS-HD; I believe there is support for it in the nightlies, but it's not something I pay much attention to.

Edit - https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/7102
Looks like it is in Jarvis.

Huh, didn't notice since I've been upgrading the same install for so long. Nifty. I guess yea, since it supports software decode then on a system with a reasonable CPU there's little reason to care about bitstream/passthrough mode unless you're sure your receiver has a better decoder for whatever reason.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

g0del posted:

True-hd and dts-hd are lossless, there's no such thing as a better decoder for them.

The "for some reason" part was meant to sound sarcastic, when people can be convinced that an expensive HDMI cable will improve their working setup over a cheap one I'm sure there are vendors out there selling "high end" decoders for lossless formats. Tone of "voice" in text and such.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I've been using a Windows MCE remote receiver for almost eleven years now and it's been automatically supported by every HTPC frontend I've tried over that time. All versions of WinMCE of course, XBMC/Kodi, Plex, Boxee, MediaPortal, it just works. Almost every universal remote has support for them as well, since it's also the same IR protocol as the Xbox 360.

The official ones are hard to find these days because they haven't been made in years, but a lot of third-party remote receivers speak the same protocol. If it says MCE in the name or has four colored buttons on the remote it's probably a MCE-compatible setup.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SnatchRabbit posted:

edit:
Since my trusty wired 360 pad is dead, will an xbox one controller work just as well on windows?

It works fine, just plug it in and go.

As far as I'm aware Windows applications can't even tell the difference between the two.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Quixzlizx posted:

I know this is a bit OT, but I'm not sure where to ask this question. Is an HD Homerun Prime still unusable with Cablevision outside of Windows Media Center? I'd rather use it with Kodi, or even a casting Android app or something.

The HTPC thread will be a better place to ask this sort of thing: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2386006

As a quick answer though, if you want full functionality including being able to record DRM-flagged content I'm 99% sure WMC is still the only option. HDHomerun's kickstarted DVR project is supposed to at some point, but as far as I'm aware it doesn't yet.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Yeah, the TV and Movies sections depend on the database. The files browser does not. If your content is in one but not the other your database isn't right in some way.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Lowen SoDium posted:

I remember when XBMP development ended and XBMC started, I was actually pissed because XBMP needed more work and XBMC wasn't great when it first launched.

But XBMC got good fast, so I got over it.

Haha, I had totally forgotten about that. IIRC I went back to using Avalaunch for a few months because of that one, but XBMC got me back really fast when I gave it another shot.

The Xbox homebrew scene was amazing. I haven't seen any other consoles before or since where so many people could legitimately say they were actually using the mods for homebrew software or added features (being able to run games off my fast hard drive rather than my lovely Thomson DVD drive) and not just piracy. The 360 and PS3 both had some gems, but the fact that online really mattered for those systems kept the community a lot smaller because most weren't willing to give that up. The Wii is probably the only other one that got close to Xbox levels.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Mujaji posted:

My Revo ran a lot faster with openElec give libreelec a try, setup is minimal and you don't need to know linux. But the Win10 free upgrade deadline is coming up if you haven't done that and think you want to use win10 in the future you should do that first.

It takes so little time to do a Windows install these days that you may as well do the upgrade even if you end up going with LibreELEC long-term (which I agree is better, especially on lower-end hardware) just so you have the option if something changes in the future.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Puddin posted:

Who doesn't order everything by folders anyway? That sounds like an absolute nightmare to browse.

I once lived with a guy who just had a folder "TV" where he would put the files as they were downloaded. Whatever scene or random P2P name it had was the name it would keep.

He would actually argue that this was easier for him to find things and complained that I kept the shared fileserver organized.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I just installed a HDHomerun with TVHeadend operating as a DVR. Kodi makes a really nice front end for this.

Raspberry Pis don't seem to have enough horsepower to do CPU decoding of MPEG2 though, I bought the MPEG2 hardware license for one of mine as a test and it made all the difference in the world. It's really juddery in motion without.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Recording cable gets interesting depending on how nice your cable company happens to be.

The tuner I have, the HDHomerun Connect (HDHR4-2US) can do ATSC over-the-air and clear QAM cable. DRM is not in play here.

The HDHomerun Prime supports CableCARD but not ATSC or QAM. Unprotected content will be made available to all valid clients but any content with a copy protection flag enabled will be encrypted and can only viewed, recorded, or played by an obsolete Windows Media Center system or an unavailable old version of HDHomerun's Android app that only worked on Shield. Kodi, TVH, Myth, etc users are SOL because open source and DRM are fundamentally incompatible.

If the channels you want are available on a clear QAM signal from your cable provider (typically local stations, sometimes basic cable and/or SD feeds) you're set.

If they require cablecard you're at the mercy of the cable company regarding how they set their copy protection flags. Some are dicks and set everything to "copy once" or "copy never" where others are nice and only lock down the premium networks and PPV. You'd also be stuck buying two different devices, one for cable and one for the antenna when you cut the cord.

HDHR doesn't have anything to do with your cable box. Most models are basically dumb protocol translators, taking the raw bitstream off the antenna/cable and throwing it on the IP network pretty much unmodified. It needs a wired ethernet connection between it and wherever your DVR software is running. You can put it wherever you want in the house, as long as you can get a wire do it. Mine's upstairs to get the antenna as high as I reasonably can while my server's in the basement. It's tiny and doesn't generate much heat (the transcoding model, the Extend, seems to get hot because it just got a case redesign that's basically entirely a heatsink).

wolrah fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 11, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Internet Savant posted:

Speaking of HDhomeruns, are there good software packages or Kodi plugins that essentially replicate a cable box, TiVo or equivalent interface?

Alternatively, should I simply upgrade the front-end from a raspberry pi 2 to something more substantial, like an Intel atom or Celeron system that would likely be more responsive?

Kodi is bundled with a bunch of PVR addons (may be a separate package in some Linux distros) which present a TiVo-like interface.

I'm using the TVHeadend client with mine, there's a direct HDHomerun client but I'm not sure if that has recording and such without running the HDHomerun DVR software on some other machine, nor am I sure how well that'll share the tuner between multiple boxes if you need that.

I have four Kodi clients so having the server in play keeps everything organized.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Inspector 34 posted:

My only question now is what what dvr software should I be using? I want to be able to record shows and watch them through Plex on my phone or laptop when I'm at work, but I don't think Plex can play WMC recordings. Since I've got Plex Pass I figure I'll give their DVR a try, but what other options should I consider?
See my previous post regarding DRMed content, WMC is basically your only option for that.

If the content you care about is transmitted in the clear you should be able to use pretty much any DVR software out there, and which one's best depends entirely on what sort of systems you're using as the clients and server. Plex and HDHR PVR are both cross platform and should work on pretty much anything. WMC is of course Windows-only and doesn't exist anymore as of Win10. MythTV and TVHeadend are designed for Linux and probably can be made to run on other *nixy systems. Certain recent NAS devices may offer one or more of these as prepackaged "apps" reducing the amount of work you need to do to set it up.

quote:

Also, I attempted to use the Kodi HDHR add-on on my tablet, but it just says "Install Failed" I had hoped that I would be able to use my tablet as a mobile cable-box around the house through our ChromeCasts but I can't get the add-on to work.

The addon's already installed in most (all?) of the official binary packages, it just needs to be enabled. Navigate to "my installed addons" then PVR addons, find it, and enable it. For some reason they do this with the PVR addons rather than distributing them the normal way.

Here's a few screenshots. I'm using TVHeadend as the backend but in theory anything with a Kodi PVR addon should present the same UI.

Full-res here: http://imgur.com/a/ZBbqC

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Lowen SoDium posted:

And there are USB video adaptors which are more or less a USB video card, but they almost certainly wouldn't work with anything other than a Windows PC (also their performance really sucks.

Almost all of those are using DisplayLink's chips, which actually have rather wide support including an Android app. I wouldn't use it for gaming but it should work fine for video playback.

Still though I agree that a Fire Stick is the best way to get Kodi on to a TV. They're on sale for $30 right now, the remote is nice, and it has native apps for most major video services other than Google.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Are you using bitstreaming audio (passing through Dolby/DTS stream to the receiver)? A few versions ago Kodi gained the ability to decode most of the high-end audio formats natively and just pass it along HDMI as raw PCM audio.

It doesn't solve the actual playback problem, but it means if the video glitches the player can make the audio match up.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
If you're not afraid of the command line it's pretty easy, it's little more than creating a user and setting permissions in MySQL, toss the server/credential info in advancedsettings.xml, then Kodi does the rest.

That said I'm pretty sure Kodi's built-in UPnP syncs library state now, so if you have a "master" machine I think you should just be able to enable UPnP sharing on it and point the others at it, then all will be well without having to screw with databases.

I like the MySQL way though because it means my server is the only "master" and none of the clients are special in any way. I drop one config file on a new system and it's all ready to go.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah I'm gonna be shuffling some stuff around in my home setup, including changing my ip scope and possibly moving my HTPC to a VM, so it'll be easier for me to set up a small server and point everything to to that rather than worrying about how the clients are set up. cli isn't scary so I'll back up, dive in and see what happens!

As long as all your media sources are on network shares set up in proto://name/folder/ format you won't be bothered by IP changes. If not bulk changes are still pretty easy through either native SQL or just dumping the database to a text file and running a find/replace.

I'm just about do to exactly that as I rebuild my file server and will be changing some things around with how my shares are listed.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I've been using 17 for a while so I've gotten used to it mostly already, but what still bugs me is that the Recently Added TV list isn't convenient to get to. In the old skin it was right there plain as day when you selected TV, now it's off screen.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

AlternateAccount posted:

Might be more of a Pi thread question, but how do you update the Kodi on LibreELEC the right way?

edit: nm, I am a dumb

Just in case anyone else wonders, to update Kodi you update LibreELEC itself. It's an appliance distribution, you don't mess with the individual components. Kodi plugins are the most you change.on your own, and for the most part you install those from a repository so they update themselves anyways.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Do you have a reason not to upgrade? If you're using LibreELEC it's pretty much trivial. There's a backup feature in the LibreELEC settings that will save everything other than the media itself so even if things go horribly wrong you could just reinstall the old version and restore the backup.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ChiralCondensate posted:

they never worked for me.
Now a return question: anyone figure out how to disable cleaning library at startup yet?

There are options for updating the library at startup under Settings>Media>Library but as far as I'm aware auto-cleaning is an addon script. There are no options for toggling that on mine and it definitely has never done that, but I'm 90% sure I've seen scripts in the addon repo that do exactly what you're describing.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ChiralCondensate posted:

Thanks for the hint, I'll take a look. (I fresh installed 17.1 and don't recall adding scripts, but maybe I did the latter in a fugue state.)

Many skins install a pile of scripts that may or may not be obviously related. If you've messed around with skins you might have ended up with a script without even knowing it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Are you accessing the shares by name or IP address?

If by name, make sure the name resolves in DNS rather than relying on the Windows broadcasts. A freshly awakened PC might not have received the broadcast from the NAS by the time it attempts to connect to the shares.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bigis posted:

I'd like to mirror my PC to my Kodi RPi box - is this possible?

I have an nvidia card so Moonlight embedded looks like it might work:

http://moonlight-stream.com

I've never personally had luck with Moonlight but there are a lot of people who seem to have found it useful. I've seen people use it with Kodi so I think you're on the right track.

That said, Steam Link goes on sale all the time and was even as low as $20 last week. If you want to stream your games to the couch it's a dedicated platform specifically designed and supported for that purpose. Depending on how much you value your time if you spend more than a few hours futzing with Moonlight you've probably justified the price of the product. Technically you can run Kodi on the Steam Link, but at this point that seems to involve a lot of futzing of it's own so I'm happy with my split setup. Pi handles all local and most streaming media playback with Kodi plus classic gaming with Retroarch, Steam Link handles modern gaming via my PC, and Chromecast handles all the streaming services that won't play nice with Kodi.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bigis posted:

I got Moonlight working but it's laggy on wireless n. I'll try it with an Ethernet cable and if it's still laggy I'll try the Steam Link instead. Thanks!

If you're on wireless you might not be happy with Steam Link either unless you have a good 802.11ac setup. Anything on 5GHz tends to be better than anything on 2.4GHz though, so it'll almost certainly be an improvement over the Pi unless your wireless is old.

The wired one in my living room is awesome. The wireless one on my bedroom is good enough for a lot of games but definitely worse, with a Ubiquiti UniFi AC Pro as the AP about 40 feet away.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

wolfbiker posted:

Kodi needs to fix it's 3D subtitle bug. It's been around forever and doesn't get fixed. You can't disable subtitles when watching 3D content.

What? I can't say I watch many 3D movies but when I do my subtitles have remained disabled as they're supposed to be.

Or do you mean that if it's enabled system-wide you can't disable them when in 3D mode?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

wolfbiker posted:

I can't disable subtitles on 3D movies, either embedded ones or external ones. I've tried on LibreELEC and Kodi from the Play Store. Even when choosing the "disable" option, the subtitles remain.

Are you sure you haven't acquired files that were distributed by morons? Hardcoded subs are unfortunately all too common out there, particularly in releases originating from certain European countries.

I don't feel like actually firing up my projector for this, but here's my desktop running Kodi on Windows toggling subtitles as expected:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZzEu33DFHM

You'll have to take my word for it that it works the same way on my Raspberry Pi running LibreELEC that runs my actual 3D capable system.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EC posted:

I did some more research and apparently it's showing the up of the fire remote for some reason.

Still can't get it to see the server though. I've gone through the SMB wiki and it just instantly fails every time I try anything.

It's the WiFi Direct interface. 192.168.49.1 is the default address for a system hosting WiFi Direct, at least on Android and Android-derived platforms like FireOS. Apparently the nVidia Shield has the same issue with a few apps.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

IUG posted:

Lucky you, I'm ripping all my DVDs (and my fianceé's) to Kodi. I had Arrested Development in the pile, and just finished the first disk of the second season. I checked Kodi afterwords, and it worked fine. So I guess something is wrong with your filenames. Here's what mine are:

• Arrested Development
    • Season 01
      • 01x01x02x03x04x05x06.iso
      • 01x07x08x09x10x11x12x13x14.iso
      • 01x15x16x17x18x19x20x21x22.iso
    • Season 02
      • 02x01x02x03x04x05x06.iso

Isn't that annoying if you want to pick up at 01x10 for example? Why not rip to individual files per episode?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Also if connected over HDMI that really shouldn't make a difference for the most common modes of both. I'm pretty sure Kodi can decode up to Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD to stream as LPCM. You're not losing any quality by doing that, it's just changing which device is decoding the signal.

Now if you're trying to play Dolby Atmos content or something else weird like that which won't work unless you bitstream it that's another matter.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Kodi live TV using the HDHomerun plugin has been legitimately flawless for me with the OTA non-transcoding HDHR receiver. I turned it on, channels showed up, and a guide a few seconds later. It just works.

Kodi live TV using the TVHeadend plugin broke in all kinds of weird ways, especially when trying to record, but I have reason to believe most of those issues were on the TVHeadend side of things.

If you want cable TV or DVR features you're probably going to have "fun". If you just want OTA viewing it's great.

Plex is working on building up their DVR capabilities, but the live viewing is currently limited to a small subset of clients.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ixian posted:

Plex is doing a good job with Live TV btw. Doesn't Emby do it still? I remember it wasn't half bad last time I used it. Client support is a bit wonky but I think it works on Android TV?

Apparently they just enabled it on the Android and Apple TV apps. I just watched a few minutes of Family Feud live on my Note 4 so it seems to work. Previously it was just on iOS and Android TV for some reason. There's still no way to watch live TV through Plex on Chromecast, game consoles, or anything resembling a PC. Those clients can view recordings after they complete but can't just channel surf.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Photex posted:

Speaking of V18, I heard something about Netflix and Prime plug ins now being possible, any truth to that? I'm using an RPI right now

https://github.com/asciidisco/plugin.video.netflix

I recall seeing a Prime plugin when InputStream first showed up and enabled the use of Widevine DRM, but it wasn't working and hadn't been updated in a while last time I tried it.

edit: According to the author of the Netflix plugin Amazon used to allow the content to be decrypted and passed on for decoding, now they require the decoding to happen within Widevine as well (otherwise it sort of defeats the purpose). Apparently this doesn't work on Kodi 17, which is why the old plugin I had found stopped working.

Kodi 18 has supported this mode since July.

The downside is that because the decoding happens within the DRM library you don't get hardware decoding anymore (except on Android, where a different path that supports DRM is used), so low-end systems can't handle high bitrates. Apparently 720p is iffy on a Pi 3 and 1080p is definitely a no-go.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 28, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
My experience on a Pi 3 is not perfect, it certainly hitches every now and then in the menus, but it's not like it's constant stuttering. Playback is perfect of course.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The Plex server caches screenshots, trailers, posters, etc. If you have a lot of content I could definitely see filling up 16GB enough to cause problems.

You're using your Shield as a media server. It has storage that's fine for an Android device but not in any way reasonable for a media server. Media server capacities should be measured in terabytes. If you can you should run your Plex server on the NAS rather than the Shield. Use the Shield as a Plex or Kodi client only.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Kodi database versions haven't changed within the same major version in recent history. Unless you're running nightly builds, in which case you know what you're in for, you should basically never have to worry about it.

http://kodi.wiki/view/database_versions

I've been running MySQL since 2009. It's basically zero maintenance.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

G-Prime posted:

That's really interesting, because their docs explicitly call out that you need to be on the same version in the header of this page, which I'm sure you've seen. Shame on me for not checking, though. That makes it a little easier, though. Maybe I'll migrate to that. I'm only running two instances of Kodi these days, but might go back up to 3 once I have a properly set up guest bedroom.

I think that's intentionally worded that way just to minimize support issues. Err on the side of caution and such. Someone following that rule should never have any problem with the database versioning.

The fact that it specifically calls out development builds potentially having different database revisions makes it more clear they're referring to major version in the first part, but I think they're just tired of hearing from "that guy" who has an OG Xbox, some random pirate Fire TV stick, a two year old OpenELEC install, and then runs nightlies on his PC.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nullsmack posted:

My Kodi always stops using the MySQL after a while and I have to go into the MySQL server and add the username/password to the Kodi databases again for some reason. I know it's happening when suddenly it's not tracking my watched status on stuff.

Sounds like something is very hosed up in your MySQL install if it's somehow losing the user.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nullsmack posted:

I think I may have screwed up permissions on it. I keep other stuff there too and probably didn't give the Kodi user enough permissions to create/destroy databases. I've been thinking about setting up a second instance just for Kodi and leave the original one for my other stuff.

Here's the key:

code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `kodi_%`.* TO 'kodi'@'%'
Combined with

code:
  <videodatabase>
      <type>mysql</type>
      <host>server</host>
      <port>3306</port>
      <user>kodi</user>
      <pass>pass</pass>
      <name>kodi_video</name>
  </videodatabase>
  <musicdatabase>
      <type>mysql</type>
      <host>server</host>
      <port>3306</port>
      <user>kodi</user>
      <pass>pass</pass>
      <name>kodi_music</name>
  </musicdatabase>
in advancedsettings.xml

Back in 2012 I tried to get that added in to the wiki instead of their current idiotic instructions that have you granting your media clients full privileges to the entire MySQL server, but the then admin of the wiki decided that was too complicated and most users didn't care about security.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 21, 2017