Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I started listening to Hardcore History recently and am absolutely loving it. But is there a place to get the backlog bundled for less than what iTunes is charging? I'm gonna end up buying all this stuff regardless but if I can save a few bucks and/or get it all at once instead of piecemeal that would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
:siren:

Dan Carlin posted:

Soon! Hopefully within the next 6 hours.
Let me know what you think when you hear it.
:siren:

I'm betting WWI, the general consensus is that or Alexander right?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

rypakal posted:

I'm five minutes in and he's talking about alleged lone gunman and the "government's Oswald narrative"

Is he one of those?

No, he's making a point about it doesn't matter what actually happened.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Firstscion posted:

Defiantly he is a little shaky at the start but it's worth it. It took me about 2 months to make it through all 190 episodes but when I finished I just wanted more.

Well I like Revolutions so I guess I've got something else to listen to while I wait for the next episode of that and hardcore history.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

I guess his estimate about the WW1 series taking over a year to finish might be accurate.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Well this is perfect timing, going to be spending all day tomorrow driving around.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

:woop: This is great news.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Popelmon posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that Dan Carlin's obsession with giving nukes to the small eastern European countries is kinda weird?

I haven't listened to the latest common sense but was this part of a boxing analogy?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

stealie72 posted:

Huh. Didn't know that. Any recommendations for something better for streaming than stitcher for Android?

beyondpod works great. It's got a large database and you can manually give it RSS feeds if whatever you're looking for isn't on their list.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

ch3cooh posted:

New Hardcore History just dropped! Blueprint for Armageddon III! Three hours fifty six minutes of the Great War

E: and be ready because this is when the war goes from interesting to blindingly depressing

Perfect, my internet is out so I'll have something to listen to while I be productive. Now to download 200 mbs of audio over a cell connection. :smithicide:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Amethyst posted:

Oh my god a new Mike Duncan history podcast?!?!?!

Did you not know about revolutions until now? I'm so sorry.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The next episode doesn't come out till July 14 so take your time.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Dan is great and all but his current schedule of 3-4 hour episodes every 3 months is insane.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
It was a great episode and I think he set a new record for number of boxing analogies in a single episode.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

WDIIA posted:

Of course these posts pop up when I'm trying to stave off the urge to listen through the History of Rome for a 3rd time

It's a great fallback when you've run through all your normal podcasts/you're out of audible credits.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

joe football posted:

Anyone listen to the hardcore history extra on the mongols? Worth $2? Steam winter sale is coming up so I could put that toward a terrible indie game instead

Yup it's fun, if you like HH just buy all the archived episodes.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

thrawn527 posted:

So I finally bit the bullet and bought the HH Episodes 1-39 pack. What the hell, it costs roughly the same price as a video game these days, and I'll get way more out of it. And I was dying for more content, having gone through all of the free stuff over the past several months. I started with the Death Throes of the Republic episodes, because it's one of my favorite eras of history. But I glanced at the first episode and it's like 16 minutes? Keep in mind, this is not a complaint, but I'm curious. When does he start getting into the operatic length episodes?

Also, anything else that was different early on? What episodes should I absolutely get to sooner rather than later? Other than the Punic Wars ones everyone raves about.

I'm so excited. (And such a nerd.)

Punic Nightmares: 3 hours, 51 minutes
Ghosts of the Ostfront: 5 hours, 42 minutes
Death Throes of the Republic: 12 hours, 49 minutes
Wrath of the Khans: 8 hours, 27 minutes
Blueprint for Armageddon: 17 hours, 51 minutes and counting.

His content (minus the finale of Death Throes) has been pretty reasonable up until Blueprint where he's gone completely off the deep end in regards to running length and boxing analogies.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Thank you to whoever recommended The Dollop, its loving amazing and I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to listen to some comics mispronounce relatively easy words.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

midnightclimax posted:

Anyone know something about http://thehistoryofbyzantium.com/ podcast? I've read mixed reviews, not sure if I should bother downloading the first episode.

It's OK, it takes him awhile to hit his stride so you probably won't like the first few at the very least.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Antares posted:

Is there a decent (free?) Android app people like for their 4.5hr podcasts? I was punishing myself finding my place every time with Play but now it has decided it doesn't always want to play things when I do.

Beyondpod or pocketcasts

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The 10 american presidents isn't badly done it's just not produced in the way most podcasts are; a dude in a room talking into a mic. The soundclips didn't bug me since they were mostly just speeches/clips from interviews and for a modern figure why quote him when you can just put the audio clip of him talking right in the thing. The music was annoying though.

e: Also the timeframe on this thing is insane. The Q&A episode mentioned the next episode coming out in late May and the Q&A went up April 4.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Risket posted:

I really like the format of Carlin's episode, but I'm wondering why Carlin's episode on Nixon is well over an hour, and Mike Duncan's Washington episode is 16 minutes long. I mean, it's loving Washington, you could do 55 hours on that guy and not be done. Maybe they left the format up to the speaker, and Carlin isn't capable of doing a history podcast that is less than 2 hours.

If you listen to that episode it's a 5 minute preview of the episode and then the producer cuts in and does an interview with Mike Duncan and then says the full episode will be up in late March. (2016?)

Gibfender posted:

They might as well just put up the episode of the Dollop for him, I can't imagine anyone else topping that

Also replace the Washington episode with the episode about Washington's horror mouth filled with clockwork gadgets and dead men's teeth.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Rodyle posted:

The Dollop is usually awesome but can occasionally be quite frustrating because Dave and Gary are kind of morons.

I loved them googling Talleyrand and deciding he was a restaurant.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
All the sports episodes are great. Philly Fans and 10 cent beer night are also amazing.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Gann Jerrod posted:

Does anyone know what episode has the "Oueen poo poo of Liesville" bit? I know it won't be nearly as funny in context, but I'd still like to know.

I just listened to the Thomas Kinkade, and it's amazing the turn the episode takes once he becomes one of the craziest alcoholics that I've heard of. I also listened to the history of pools episode, which I didn't like as much because they kept using the same joke of a gay guy wanting to see naked boys.

It's the ghost episode iirc.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

webmeister posted:

Oh hey, Mike Duncan's George Washington episode of 10 American Presidents is up! Clocks in at 2 hours 20 minutes, so should be fairly meaty!

At this rate they'll finish this 10 episode podcast in early 2019.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

TheFallenEvincar posted:

not sure Mike totally got the hang of these sound effects/soundtrack/voice clip stuff on the American Presidents ep, some of it is kind of distracting or boring or lowered quality. Like I swear at some point it feels like he just plays a generic repeated musketshot effect for like two minutes and it's like okay I get it, is this an intermission?
Cool ep though.

I had the impression the producer did the audio clips, Mike just recorded the voice over.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Ah well whoever it was, it felt kinda shoddy at parts. Just random distracting sound effects for long stretches, while some voice clips were high quality and then suddenly you'd have one that sounds like they just got a random dude with a lovely mic to read something. It felt oddly raw/incomplete. But yeah, Mike's actual content was great.

Hardcore History is a little like that sometimes, I think, but yeah it's mostly displayed in Common Sense.

The random gunshot intermissions have nothing on getting some dude to just read the whole Declaration of Independence for no reason.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

webmeister posted:

Not trying to nit-pick here, but at the end of the episode Mike Duncan says that Washington state is the only state in the US named after a person. But surely Louisiana would fall in this category as well? I'm not an American so maybe there's something I'm missing?

Also Maryland.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I just don't think it was done as well for Duncan's ep as it was with Carlin's. There's just long inexplicable musketshot interludes, distracting effects, certain speech clips that just randomly sound like a dude with a lovely mic, deciding to do the whole Declaration, etc.
I mean I guess I could hear Carlin in his showmanship pulling it off but honestly a lot of the effects and clips just felt bad/random/obtrusive in a way I don't think was true for the Nixon ep as much,

For me part of it was the Nixon episode it was actually Nixon speaking. It was neat to hear clips from the man himself, his own words while Dan was walking through the story. In the Washington episode at first I thought they were taking it from movies or something but then I realized that A: No way they can afford licensing audio from a movie and B: no movie would have someone so incredibly flat and boring read the declaration of independence in its entirety.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

adebisi lives posted:

Racist - Full Definition
1 :a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 :racial prejudice or discrimination

Can you provide evidence sam harris fits this bill other than he says mean things about islam, a multiracial religion?

You're being pedantic. He makes sweeping (incredibly wrong and offensive) generalizations about a group of people because of a trait they share in common that has no relation to the generalizations he makes. He's a racist.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Mojo Threepwood posted:

I really enjoyed Mike's coverage of the French Revolution, although I was hoping for the series to continue through Napoleon's career (I totally understand how that would have been out of scope and tripled the size of the series, but still.)

As this era of history was new to me I went looking for a book on Napoleon to explain what happened next, and "Napoleon: A Life" by Andrew Roberts has been excellent. Mike's podcast gave me a thorough understanding of the era and is an excellent lead in to the start of the book. The author visited a lot of the major landmarks and battle sites and has great insights. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who wants the story to continue.

I listened to the audio book back when he started France and is fantastic, highly recommend it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Malloreon posted:

New Hardcore History coming out tonight and...it's probably World War 2.

What makes you say that? He's been dropping hints for weeks (months) that it's ancient/classical.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

jerk1000 posted:

''

I guess I'm sold. Will check this out later.

This podcast is great and he ends his first two-parter with a ~10 minute boxing analogy.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Is it a one off or a series? If the latter I prefer having them all ready to listen to one after the other.

There's no pt I in the title but beyond that who knows until we actually listen to it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I don't think a podcast that does like 4 episodes a year really needs its own thread.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

How are u posted:

Uh... somehow my subscription to the Revolutions podcast got messed up in my Apple podcasts app, and it seems to have...merged? with another podcast called Juicing Radio, which looks to be all about juice cleanses.

So I've got an episode about The Third Comission in the Haitian revolution sitting next to an episode called "Part 3 Charlie Bruno on life after a 300 day juice only fast".

Anybody else ever have this happen to them?

I've had podcast icons get lost/change. Please report back on your new-found juicing lifestyle.

webmeister posted:

I've never had it mix up two different podcasts, but I've definitely had it lose track of episode listings before. So a weekly show will suddenly get the last 6 months showing up on a single day as unlistened, and of course it'll helpfully download them all for you - hope you weren't near your data cap! This has happened twice to me on two different podcasts :(

I've found lately that the app likes to randomly close itself as well, so I'll be listening and not even using my phone otherwise and the volume just fades out and stops. I have to unlock my phone, re-open the Podcasts app and hit play again for it to resume. I'd say this happens every 2-3 hours of listening - so annoying!

Reboot your phone.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Swagger Dagger posted:

5 months is getting pretty common :(

So he's at what, 24 hours per 1 minute of content?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Al-Saqr posted:

King of Kings 2?! but the guy passed away in the last episode? who's he talking about this time?

It's actually a series about Triple H, the first episode was just leaving the groundwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
What's double mean? He's already creeping up on 4 hour long episodes.