Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

One of the many great things about Chaos Theory is, like Deus Ex, the many different ways you can approach a mission.Also, I like my stealth games on the grandma side rather than the panther side - I like to take my time and either ghost through a level or knock everyone out.

It's true that Deniable Ops is a bit closer to old-school SC...I quite like it. I even made some melee-only Deniable Ops walkthroughs starting here, but my approach is fairly slow and methodical (i.e., probably boring). I thought the single player campaign for Conviction was pretty terrible, though. I disliked Double Agent but the first time I played it, I don't think my computer could handle it because the framerate was pretty dismal. That aside, it lacked a lot of the freedom of Chaos Theory...it really felt like you were being shoehorned in the way they wanted you to play the game. The obstacle course at the beginning was pretty goofy too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Plank posted:

I'm super depressed about Ironside not being the voice of Fisher in the new game. I've grown so used to his gravelly sarcasm that it's going to be weird hearing someone else, it might not feel like Fisher any more :(

I suppose the 'official' explanation is that Ironside is a pacifist and he doesn't like the gun-happy direction the games are taking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqDIDMqxH1o

But the real reason probably has something to do with "gimme mo money!"

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Cinematic posted:

One of my favorite parts of Chaos Theory is Sam loving with guards when he interrogates them. Some quality black humor, its too bad they kind of stopped doing that in Double Agent (maybe they didn't, that game is a blur to me) and completely stopped doing it in Conviction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM3Cl5wBgNU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSBRvZz-0_o

Best game ever

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

As far as I know, it doesn't change any of the content at all.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

fivegears4reverse posted:

While I am disappointed Ironside isn't doing the voice, I am interested in playing a good steath/action game that isn't Metal Gear again.

While it's good to hear that they're revisiting some of the classic stealth game elements for Blacklist, the next Thief game also looks promising too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpRsOQ4MS_8

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

SC1 shows its age, but it's still kind of fun. The hud definitely shows its console roots, but some of the levels are pretty cool. If you're willing to put up with a bit of jankiness, it's still some good stealth gameplay.

That said, it's not really that necessary to get in on the plot of CT. Sure, they make reference to SC1, but the SC1 guy just made the macguffin in Chaos Theory. That's it.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Yeah, Splinter Cell has always had an array of tight and narrow corridors, but that was kind of for a reason. Wide-open levels tend to be a pain in the rear end to stealth through because it's hard to manage the sight lines of those on levels above you as well as people on your floor.

Speaking of open levels, that's the challenge that I'm finding in Crysis 3. Granted, I don't think you're meant to play it as a "stealth game"per se - it seems to me like they want you to play it in a "stealth shoot stealth shoot" kind of style. Still, it's kind of interesting trying to play those big open levels in a pacifist or ghost kind of style.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

VagueRant posted:

What was Grim like originally? I don't really remember.

In CT, she was a goofy nerdgirl who would make fun of Sam for being so old. I think in the previous games, she was a technical advisor but more serious and not as prominent as in CT.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Does it have a Deniable Ops-type mode like Conviction did? That is, a bunch of single player maps that are there just for sneaking around? It's the only reason Conviction lasted on my hard drive for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Usually in stealth games, "ghost" means "no one knows that you were ever there." (except for plot and mission-specific stuff like stealing files, etc.)

• Locked thread