Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION
So, this just came up on CBC.

A 16% drop in house sales, with only a one percent drop in housing prices. I don't know much about real estate or market crashes, but isn't a 16% drop in demand enough for a bigger reflection in prices?

I mean, is this just realtors burying their heads in the sand and insisting that things will get better? Also, :lol: at the CREA insisting that if you ignore Vancouver then everything is peachy. Even I know that's ridiculous. Ignore part of the market and the overall market is better!!!!!! :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

Rime posted:

The most overpriced/inflated real estate market on the planet is the achilles heel for the country? Color me shocked.

Uh excuse me, we have things much more under control than Hong Kong :haw:

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

Throatwarbler posted:

I've been to Vancouver once and I agree it's one of the worst cities in Canada, but then my question is why do you guys stay? What keeps you here?

Let's not devolve into regionalist BS as is so easy for a Canadian thread. Vancouver has all of the benefits of a highly dense and centralized city: a wide variety of businesses, restaurants, and entertainment, as well as awesome public transportation with the ever-expanding Skytrain network and busses that, though Vancouverites grumble over them, are really quite awesome.

On the nature front, there's the beautiful sea wall that provides an excellent 10k+ walk, the beaches that line it (which are as good as they get for Canada), Stanley Park, and the mountains in North Van for skiing and snowshoeing.

As far as variety for the design of the city itself goes, there's the fairly pretty and large Chinatown, as well as historical Gastown, with it's awesome steam clock and brick roads.

There's a lot to love about Vancouver :colbert:

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

JawKnee posted:

Are you... from here? I've lived here a good chunk of my life and we're far from the most impolite city around. It's not Victoria, but still, every time I hear this it baffles me - are you just always on Granville street during club hours or something?

As someone who has spent a good life-chunk in Vancouver, I have to agree. Vancouver is a fairly polite place.

I will say that if there's one place that "we should get together sometime" is most meaningless, it's Vancouver. When I moved, that phrase instantly changed from nicety to actual intent to hang out.

But that's all anecdotal evidence so it could be that I was utterly hated in Vancouver or something for all you know :shrug:

enough of all this, though, this is a housing thread. Let's hear about housing problems outside of BC to shift the conversation, I guess? I'm the wrong person to ask for them, but we have gotten pretty BC-centric lately, admittedly because Van. is where poo poo is going down most, but let's see what's happening elsewhere.

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

Throatwarbler posted:

What the gently caress is a knob and tube, some kind of plumbing they only have in Toronto?

Old school wiring I think. Can be a legitimate problem sometimes I've heard. Someone more knowledgable will probably post the details soon.

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

Baronjutter posted:

This is what a really really good inspection is for. Good inspectors are rare. I feel like you should be able to hire a home inspector inspector who inspects home inspectors to find out if they're lazy or on the REALTOR's take. Also don't be a stupid poo poo head and sign away your legal rights and buy a house "as is" ever ever ever.

Or this can happen
http://www.hoodwinkedhouse.com/#sthash.NFmOAc30.dpbshttp://www.hoodwinkedhouse.com/%23sthash.NFmOAc30.dpbs

It's a horrible situation but oh god who signs away their rights :( Also he tried to call the police when he found a missing beam... seriously read this through, it just gets worse and worse for him.

Oh sweet lord, and the story's still ongoing, too He's still updating.

I can't feel anything but sympathy for the guy, that's all awful. Even if he was stupid to sign that waiver, I'd have to be a cold hearted libertarian randian nightmare person to think that means he deserves all this.

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

Cultural Imperial posted:

I can't wait for a major earthquake to hit Vancouver.

you seem to be gettin' a little unhinged pal

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

A friend of mine from undergrad (originally from the island) once said that Vancouver is a great place to live if it weren't for the people. The best solution would be to take the entire island of Montreal and drop it on top of Vancouver with everyone under it.

I've never understood the "vancouver's full of assholes" meme. All I can judge strangers by is basic civility/manners (apologizing if they bump into you accidentally, holding doors, making polite chit chat etc) and they pass that.

Maybe Vancouver's racist, I'm a white-ish person who doesn't look poor :shrug:

e: I've posted much the same thing before.

Dr. Witherbone fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 22, 2014

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION
Meh, I'm not going to play battling anecdotes. I've ran into my share of assholes, sure, but it's a small share. I consider Vancouver a friendly town.

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

I'm doing a CPR class this weekend. Direct quote from one of the attendees.

File under reasons to exterminate all vamcouverites.

Vancouver is a friendly city and I enjoy living in it :)

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION
I really do enjoy that all I have to do is say that I like living in Vancouver for Cultural Imperial to freak the gently caress out.

What if I'm a first generation immigrant from China? What then?!

I'm going to hang out in the DTES and not preform CPR on people alllll day.

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION
Listen up vancouver! If you're looking to make more money and take control of your personal and financial future, then get ready, because Than Merrill, the star of A&E's hit TV show Flip This House, one of the most successful Real Estate Investors in the country, America's #1 real estate expert, has one HECK of an opportunity for you! Click Now! Opportunity For You! Than is hosting a free, local, two hour real estate investing workshop, where you can learn his three step system for getting started flipping homes, and buying and holding income properties!!!!!!

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

Baronjutter posted:

The entire population of Vancouver island is cut in half north/south by a single dangerous mountain highway that until very recently barely had any funds for upgrades. Finally after tons of deaths and some tanker spills, and the fact that every single accident would cut the island in half for hours, the province graced us with a little money. At the same time a railway runs parallel to this highway serving all the little commuter villages and towns, but it sits abandoned because we have seriously no idea how to plan infrastructure in this province, let alone fund anything outside of Vancouver. A ton of people live way up north of Victoria in some of these places, which used to be proper towns and villages with reasons to exist, but now they mostly serve as "cheap" housing for people so absolutely desperate to own a house they're willing to commute over this horrible highway every day. It's very similar to all the awful little places along the West Coast Express' route, which is a model people here were hoping to copy with the railway. But in this case the Malahat highway really did need upgrading, I just hope maybe one day we can get the railway running again, even if it was just a couple trips each way every day.

The E&N railway was so badly run you'd swear it was purposeful internal sabotage like with Canada post. For the last 30 years or so the train would leave downtown Victoria in the morning and come back in the evening and nothing could change that schedule. No matter how many people who lived up north of Victoria and worked in the city begged for the schedule to be reversed they didn't do it until like the last year before it all got shut down. Now our idiot (thankfully ex) mayor severed downtown from the railway basically dashing any hopes of turning it into a commuter railway serving the region, or a transit line serving Langford. Yes, we have a railway going between downtown and the fastest growing suburb that has horrible traffic problems and we let it sit abandoned.

I don't know the specifics, but the Island Corridor Foundation has been working for a very, very long time to get service on the island restarted as proper commuter rail into Victoria, and my understanding is they've been successful? I do know for a fact that they secured $15 million dollars in funding, and I think they have some kind of agreement with Via rail to operate the train again once the tracks are repaired. Here's there website if you want to poke around: http://www.islandrail.ca/

It's not very professionally curated though, their current news story is just a picture of someone installing a rubber flange on the rails in Nanaimo ... :confuoot:

Interestingly, they address the train station problem in Victoria that you're talking about. Apparently even the worst remaining possible station still isn't too bad, about 15 minutes on foot out of downtown, and a more ideal spot that's available is only 5 minutes.

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

Hahaha gently caress Alberta

Cultural Imperial name 5 things you like about Canada.

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

peter banana posted:

yeah it's been a long time since "fiscal conservatism" has had anything to do with sensibly cutting public spending. 9 years of Harper and we're solidly in "gently caress poors" territory with the national consciousness to match.

That's senselessly pessimistic. If you want to be sensibly pessimistic, consider that none of the major parties will address the fact that a majority of Canadians are in favour of additional taxation and increasing funding to public services.

Or maybe they believe in full communism! You never have ANY idea what Canadians want with good old Canadian polling! :negative:

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION
I know it's your gimmick and all, but your senseless hatefulness reeeaaaallly gets old, Cultural Imperial. Like, relishing the suffering of people 'cause they're stupid or just economically uninformed is straight out of the libertarian handbook. Congrats on being a rational actor, Galt.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION
Bachman–Turner Overdrive.

Rupert.