Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sovy Kurosei
Oct 9, 2012

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Speaking of which, how is the bubble looking in the Territories?

There is no bubble. There is a serious shortage of housing in the territories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sovy Kurosei
Oct 9, 2012
I am car-free and I live in Edmonton. Your options are a bit limited to where you want to live, have freedom of mobility and not own a vehicle but that applies to every city in the country. You're not going to find much service in the stereotypical suburban community composed of twists, turns and cul-de-sacs regardless if it is in Quebec or Alberta.

Sovy Kurosei
Oct 9, 2012
How much influence does the government have on the Bank of Canada to increase interest rates?

Sovy Kurosei
Oct 9, 2012
The difference between provinces isn't as pronounced as the difference between urban and rural as far as racism goes. Rural Ontario is just as bad as rural Saskatchewan, or BC, or Alberta.

Sovy Kurosei
Oct 9, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

A bit of wasted space though, not a huge fan of the layout. I'd have made the kitchen/hall/living room one large space.

Yeah, having lived in both styles I prefer the open layout.

Saying that it is a nice looking place. But what is up with the bathtub? Is it really raised that far off the ground or is it an optical illusion.

Sovy Kurosei
Oct 9, 2012

man thats gross posted:

This was including mortgage interest (used the default 5.5% despite rates currently being lower to account for future fluctuations), 0.8% property tax, 4% buying and 6% selling closing costs, 0.5% insurance, 1% annual for maintenance and renovations, and $200 monthly utilities.

I've been lurking in this thread and I will explain something to you. No matter how you do the numbers, no matter how much they are in your favour, no matter what your life situation is, this thread will always argue and grasp any straws that it is better to rent than it is to buy and you are an Flavor-aid drinking idiot if you think otherwise.

If the numbers work out in your favour then do it. The only thing I can think of is that the housing market might fall out badly in Toronto but it sounds like you got that accounted for.

Sovy Kurosei
Oct 9, 2012

sauer kraut posted:

Just saw this in a German newspaper, an "interactive documentary game" about Fort McMurray that starts in 2 days and will unfold over a course of 4 weeks.
My apologies if this is not news to Canadians.

http://www.fortmcmoney.com/en/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_McMoney

Ft. McMurray is going to be min-maxed to be an economic powerhouse, an ecological preserve and social programs for all.

Sovy Kurosei
Oct 9, 2012

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Also, are groceries that much cheaper in Vancouver that $120/month for food is do-able for a single person? I can't imagine living on $30/week groceries, but maybe I'm just bad at them.

Yes, it is possible.

Sovy Kurosei
Oct 9, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

wait, "tenant's maintenance" is included in the rental costs? I was not aware that tenants were in any way responsible for repairs.

It depends on the agreement. The Calgary Housing Company makes the tenant responsible for heater and electrical maintenance, snow shoveling and lawn care and keeping the exterior of the unit clean.

Sovy Kurosei
Oct 9, 2012

RedFlag posted:

Knocked up this map quickly for the political maps thread.

Does not account for payroll taxes. Data from the CMHC and minimum wage from Wikipedia. It's for (average) two-bedroom rentals, which should also be on there somewhere.

No numbers for the territories?

EDIT:

Oh, FFS Alberta, your minimum wage is $9.95? You can't knock that wage up a nickel for a round $10 like everyone else?

Sovy Kurosei fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 1, 2014

Sovy Kurosei
Oct 9, 2012

Rime posted:

House I'm renting over on Victoria dropped by $28k, but again it's one of those "House is worth $50k, land is 'worth' $773k" situations.

Frankly I'm amazed the house is assessed at that, it's a victorian deathtrap that we're shocked hasn't been condemned yet. The second floor is visibly collapsing into the living room.

Why are you still living there?

Sovy Kurosei
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Wynand posted:

Oh man, the cab monopoly, that poo poo drives me up the wall even moreso than the Port Mann.

I seriously don't understand how this isn't an illegal cartel with government backing from what I can only assume are even more illegal government bribes (or technically more legal campaign funding related :airquote: "bribes" :airquote: ).

Like, ok there is clearly the same poo poo going on for stuff like liquor licenses are food carts (i.e. those that have them fighting tooth and nail against issuing more of them). But at least for those one can at least put on the veneer of legitimacy by claiming that it can disrupt neighbourhoods or some poo poo.

But cabs? What the gently caress is the point of limiting cabs? Cabs are an important part of the transport mix. They can handle the last mile of otherwise public transit in spread out difficult to cover areas. They are obviously quite necessary for getting drunk people around late at night when services have to be shut down for maintenance. They keep cars off the road and they save loving lives by providing a getting all the "i can totes still drive" dudebros home safely. They use their own loading areas anyway so it's not like they take up parking spaces or anything else. It's loving inexcusable.

Uber & co are a way of side-stepping the issue sure but you're basically skirting the law when it's obvious the law just needs changing instead. Urgh!

Limiting cabs is the one way to make sure that cab operators make enough money and avoid a tragedy of the commons and a race to the bottom. It is pretty much the equivalent of minimum wage for cab companies.

It is a balancing act between the public and the operators.

Sovy Kurosei
Oct 9, 2012
Edit: I'm out.

Sovy Kurosei fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sovy Kurosei
Oct 9, 2012

The place I own already lost tens of thousands of dollar in value as far as the City of Edmonton is concerned. I got that update in the beginning of January so I imagine it will get much worse as this year goes on.