Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I mean, it would have to be a pretty nice car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

As an actual Torontonian I object to being lumped in with the hellscape that is "the GTA".

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Commuting to Union Station in the morning on the subway is probably the closest experience I've had to being in a cattle car. It's still better than living somewhere where I might have to drive to get around though.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

THC posted:

Why do your parents think giving him money will result in grandchildren? Home ownership is not a requirement for babies.

Everybody knows that home ownership makes you a better human being. I'm honestly surprised we even let renters vote.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

So, while the Canadian economy is probably particularly poorly positioned because of our crappy fundamentals there are bubbles inflating all around the world:

quote:

Markets More: Nouriel Roubini 2015 Forecasts 2016 Forecasts
ROUBINI: The Mother Of All Asset Bubbles Will Burst In 2016

AKIN OYEDELE

DEC. 5, 2014, 7:55 PM

In February 2013, NYU professor Nouriel Roubini made the call that US markets had entered the "mother of all asset bubbles."

With the rally in stocks that we've seen this year and a surge in high-yield debt issuance, Roubini said we're now at the midpoint of the bubble, in an interview with Yahoo Finance.

Next year may see more gains across markets, but the bubble, bigger than the one before the 2008 recession, could pop in 2016.

Because there is low growth, and low inflation in much of the world, there is liquidity that's leading to asset inflation, Roubini said:

quote:

"I think that this frothiness that we have seen in financial markets is likely to continue, from equities to credit to housing, and in a couple of years, most likely, this asset inflation is going to become asset frothiness and eventually an asset and a credit bubble and eventually any bubble ends up in a bust and a crash. I would say that valuations in many markets, whether it’s government bonds or credit, or real estate, or some equity markets, are already stretched. And they’re going to become more stretched as the real economy justifies the slow exit, and all this liquidity is going to go into more asset inflation. So two years down the line, we could have this shakeout … 2016 I would say."

His advice for investors is to be underweight US equities next year as stock valuations increase, particularly in the biotech, technology and social media sectors. Emerging markets that are heavy oil importers and will benefit from lower oil prices are attractive.

Here's the full interview.

My question to the thread: are all of these timebombs going to detonate together (or in close sequence) or is there any chance that Canada will either lead the pack or maybe even hang on longer? We've heard rumblings for some time about condos in places like Toronto not selling as fast but are we going to have to wait for the rest of the world to implode before financial Armageddon arrives in the True North?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I can imagine how loving pissed off some of you guys are going to be if the Canadian bubble only bursts during a global downturn, because all those home owning relatives and co-workers will never give you the satisfaction of saying you were right. They'll just claim they got screwed by totally unforeseen global market forces beyond the power of any mortal to understand, let alone predict or control.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

ocrumsprug posted:

To answer your earlier question, people call stock market bubbles anytime the market hasn't crashed for more than two months. (Then those same people generally call 1930s global depression everytime it does correct.) ie. The allusion to 2008 being a market bubble pop, where it was something quite different that caused the GFC.

Now it is certainly true that there is a lot of excess capital rolling around yield seeking, but I am not sure you are seeing irrational exuberance, or shoe shine boys with stock tips quite yet. (These things are totally happening in Chinese markets OTOH.) What you are seeing in American markets is pricing in the anticipated economic recovery.

Well this is not exactly my field but I don't see how you can deny that a big part of the story in 2008 was the popping of the American real estate bubble. Sure there are some deeper structural reasons behind the inflation of that bubble - shadow banking, financialization, perhaps even a declining rate of profit (depending on how one define's profit) - but regardless of why it happened, there was clearly an asset bubble and the popping of that bubble clearly did a lot of damage to the economy. A lot of folks lost their jobs, other people lost the equity in their homes, etc.

As for current economic conditions I'm not an expert but it seems like ultra low interest rates world wide, low economic growth, and especially quantitative easing must be interfering with price discovery. How the hell could anyone be expected to know what an assets real value is in these conditions? I don't really watch global markets closely enough to have a truly informed opinion on this but what I do know about global markets is enough to make me very uneasy. The world economy looks very unstable at the moment. If you have any information to reassure me please share it.

etalian posted:

lolling how people think more density and more housing units is somehow a panacea to the overpriced housing problem.

Seems about right. Just like the solution to a stagnant job market is to try and push more people into university or college.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

:canada:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Even when you interview actual economists instead of realtors, a lot of the most widely read and cited financial experts are taking huge speaking fees or working at university departments that have large endowments provided by major financial institutions. Plus a lot of economists hold particular ideological positions that either say markets are really efficient and therefore bubbles and other fraud can't be endemic, or that markets have all been corrupted by big government, low interest rates or whatever, and therefore catastrophic hyper inflation is always right around the corner.

So I imagine it's rather hard to find large numbers of experts on the economy who don't have at least a potential conflict of interest. Even the guys who are constantly predicting doom are usually pitching their own book or their unique investment strategy that will help you survive the coming crash or whatever. It's not exactly a field that produces a lot of unbiased observers.

And it's not as though most newspapers actually exist to inform their readers. As long as you're able to attract advertisers or please your papers owner you are doing your job right, and in either case providing the most accurate analysis possible isn't necessarily going to help you achieve those goals.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

There are obviously economists and market analysts out there worth listening to, the point is that good economic analysis is an under supplied public good in the marketplace of ideas for reasons that are entirely predictable (i.e. a lot of people benefit from this status quo).

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Cultural Imperial posted:

While no one in Canada has said this, I love the American statements that millennials have a duty to get into and remain in a pit of crippling debt because the economy depends on it.

Holy loving poo poo if someone told me that I'd happily punch them in the loving face and vote Bernie Sanders.

Keep in mind that this is the country where the President's speech following the biggest terrorist attack in living memory was to tell the citizens that it was their patriotic duty to go out and shop :911:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I can't believe Harper didn't do this sooner. He's been rolling the dice that the bubble wouldn't pop before election day.

Presumably he has more knowledge than the rest of us regarding what interest rates the Bank of Canada is going to set and planned on them cutting interest rates to sustain the bubble.

It would have been nice if any of the opposition party leaders at the debate could have challenged Harper's claims that "every part of the economy outside of the energy sector is expanding so really we're not in a recession! :downs:" But then again I suspect that if any public figure tries to tell the baby boomers that their homes are overvalued then the response won't be pretty.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Also whenever the bubble pops you can look forward to politicians trying to fight the subsequent recession / depression by propping up or re-inflating housing prices because the only reliable way that anyone has been able to get an advanced industrial economy to grow for any amount of time since the 1980s has been inflating some kind of asset bubble.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Sounds like you need a hobby.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Albino Squirrel posted:

So if our petrodollar collapses does mnufacturing benefit from whatever the opposite of the Dutch Disease is? The Dutch Cure?

While the high dollar hasn't been helpful to Canadian manufacturing the bigger problem, at least in Ontario, is high energy costs. It used to be that Ontario's publicly owned utility was used by the provincial government to promote manufacturing by keeping energy costs low. Ontario manufacturing could compete with the lower labour costs of Mexico by providing very cheap power.

Since the 1990s the province has largely abandoned this policy. First they turned it into a basically private company, now they're actually selling a majority share of it. Whoever buys it is going to expect high returns on their investment, which will mean either higher energy prices, or less money spent on maintaining the grid, or perhaps both. Either way it makes it very unlikely Ontario will ever have the cost advantage regarding energy that it once had.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

*Ontario voters stare blankly into space* "We've made a huge mistake"

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Ikantski posted:

That makes no sense? Hydro One and OPG were government run or 100% government owned crown corporations until a month ago. It isn't uncommon for utility companies, public or private, to be compartmentalized. This is the Ontario problem in one paragraph

Our electricity system used to be designed by government employed experts, it's now designed by government employed politicians who've got to win a popularity contest every 4 or less years.

I think he has a point. The "market knows best!" mantra that swept Canadian governments in the 1990s was part of what caused successive Ontario government administrations to stop treating artificially cheap energy for manufacturing as an industrial strategy.

Part of why the Liberals can get away with their manifestly corrupt and incompetent handling of the power Grid is because the entire issue is de-politicized by decades of market fundamentalism. The single worst cause of our problems is the Liberal party itself, but the fact that all three major political parties have mostly abandoned the common sense view that energy should be an expert run utility designed to give our manufacturers and edge is also part of the problem.

In an ideal world we'd be upgrading our public grid to be 100% nuclear and running it with arms-length experts, not selling it off for chump change. The Liberals aren't the only thing standing in the way of that: ideological opposition to government intervention in markets is part of what gives Liberals the screen they need to mismanage the grid without being held properly accountable.

Though, admittedly, it's bizarre that somehow neither the NDP nor the PCs have been able to turn this issue to their advantage.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Ikantski posted:

Blaming the nebulous private sector lets the OLP off the hook too much. Maybe things would be better under full communism but it's a red herring. Every other province and state was also operating alongside a private sector for the last 25 years. It's not that bizarre that ONDP and OPC haven't been able to capitalize, you still see a lot of people saying it can't be that bad, their power bills haven't gone up much or quickly reframe any criticism as global warming denial from rich rural nimbys slash mike harris.

I'm not blaming the private sector -- though God knows all the money they shovel at garbage "think tanks" like the Fraser Institute means they do deserve some blame -- I'm saying that conversion to free market fundamentalism by most of the political establishment and media creates an environment that's conducive to this kind of behavior. You're very good at pointing out the failures of the Liberals but you're rather quick to overlook the context in which these failures keep happening.

We hardly need to contemplate "full communism' to solve this. The pre-Mike Harris Conservative Party basically created Ontario Hydro.

Also if the PCs would stop nominating Mike Harris' corpse to lose one election after another then maybe we could have an election about actual issues instead of a referendum on "is it time to drop a thermonuclear device on the public sector". If the PCs could behave like like their Bill Davis counterparts rather than acting like the Arizona GOP then maybe the next election won't end up being overshadowed by some insane, mean spirited and ultimately self destructive PC policy position like firing 100,000 people.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Oilpatch Bust 2: Rise of the Machines

quote:

Add robots to the list of woes killing jobs in Canada’s oilpatch

Truck driver Craig Huzulak is unemployed after losing his job four times since December — the new normal in a Canadian oilpatch still reeling from a downturn.

Huzulak, 49, was working at a mine last year near Fort McMurray, Alberta, when crude prices plunged and work dried up. He lost two more positions in the following months and then had a job offer yanked at the end of June before he could even start.

In addition to the market rout, the father of two now worries about the self-driving trucks Suncor Energy Inc. is rolling out in its oilsands mining operations that will replace workers like him to save companies money.

“It’s really, really hard for heavy-equipment operators,” said Huzulak, who has driven trucks and worked on drilling rigs in Western Canada for 15 years. “There’s a lot more fear now that this might last longer.”

The burgeoning use of robots is one more reason there probably won’t be a quick jobs rebound in Canada’s energy industry as it grapples with cheap crude, tougher environmental controls, higher taxes and elevated costs.

The shelved projects and job reductions are helping to shore up the balance sheets of companies. They’re also a reflection of the upheaval weighing on producers’ stocks as they strive to keep projects competitive.

Jobs have disappeared as the U.S. crude benchmark tumbled 54 per cent from last year’s high to about US$50 a barrel. Unemployment doubled to 8.2 per cent in June from a year earlier in Alberta’s northern oilsands region. That may be just the beginning.

Canada will lose 185,000 positions due to the energy slump, according to projections from Petroleum Labour Market Information, a division of work-safety association Enform, in Calgary.

The industry had been a jobs machine, with more than 720,000 people directly and indirectly employed last year, according to the group. Employment in the country’s oil and gas, mining, forestry, fishing and quarrying industries increased 32 per cent in the last 15 years, compared with 22 per cent for jobs nationally, according to the federal statistics agency.

“The industry right now is simply thinking that we are in a new world,” said Greg Stringham, vice president of markets and oil sands at the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers. The group last month cut its outlook for the nation’s crude output in 2030 by 17 per cent.

Suncor, which eliminated 1,200 positions this year, plans to save $200,000 annually for each of the 800 truck drivers it replaces with autonomous vehicles by 2020, Alister Cowan, chief financial officer, said at an investor conference in June. Husky Energy Inc. is saving money with a walking drilling rig, Chief Operating Officer Rob Peabody said at the conference. The rig doesn’t need workers to tow it from one spot to another.

The replacement of workers with machines is on top of slower growth, as companies scrap or delay projects.

“We think because this environment is unpredictable, that we can’t afford to be building five different projects simultaneously,” said Harbir Chhina, executive vice president of oilsands at Cenovus Energy Inc., which has cut about 800 positions this year. Instead, “we build two of them.”

North American energy companies, and their stocks, are in for another tough year-and-a-half of low oil prices, as global supplies are poised to increase faster than demand with a wave of production set to come from Iran, said Sam La Bell, an analyst at Veritas Investment Research in Toronto. U.S. producers also have an edge over the Canadians in attracting investment because their oil is generally lower cost, he said.

“Companies are going to be reluctant to hire people back quickly,” La Bell said. “The trend line for North America for any of these swing producers is pretty much that anyone outside of OPEC can’t make money below US$60 in any steady way.”

The Standard & Poor’s/TSX Energy Index is down about 19 per cent since the beginning of May, compared with a 14 per cent decline for U.S. peers on the S&P 500 Energy Index.

Production forecasts may still be too high for Canada, as the world shifts away from carbon-heavy fuels with vehicles increasingly running on electricity, said Michal Moore, an economist and the director of energy and environmental policy at the University of Calgary. He predicts only half the Canadian jobs lost in the rout will come back in a recovery, because of slower output growth, consolidation among companies and machines replacing workers.

“The industry in a lot of different ways has fundamentally shifted, and there are a lot of dinosaurs left out there who don’t see it and can’t imagine it isn’t going to all work out,” Moore said.

That last lines feels like it could apply to more poo poo in this country than just energy companies in Alberta.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

We'll be lucky if the eventual crash is only as bad as what the Americans faced. Given that we don't have a large or dynamic enough economy for an internally driven recovery I think the better comparison might be a country like Spain, who also had to deal with a lot of foreign buyers helping to inflate a property bubble, and who is similarly dependent on economic and financial conditions in neighboring countries.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Great news everyone!

quote:

Falling loonie fueling foreign interest in Vancouver real estate, say industry experts
Stability of Canadian real estate and the favourable exchange rate make Vancouver an attractive investment
CBC News Posted: Jan 22, 2016 7:55 AM PT Last Updated: Jan 22, 2016 1:13 PM P

Don't expect the economic head winds slowing Canada's economy to have the same effect on Vancouver's real estate market.

That was the message from a panel of developers at the Urban Development Institute's sold out industry event yesterday.

Jon Stovell, the president of Reliance Properties told the crowd the free falling loonie has made the city even more enticing to foreign buyers, and there is no forecasting where it will end.

"Our market's gone down a rabbit hole, you know. Up is down, down is up and the clocks are running backward … We're seeing records surpassed every day," said Stovell.

Investors are coming from all around the world to take advantage of the falling exchange rates, says Stovell, who cites the example of a German billionaire who was recently in town looking to buy a downtown Vancouver tower.

"Anybody who's got a lot of money to invest is probably working with a fair degree of American dollars," he said.

Other members of the panel highlighted the relative stability of Canadian real estate values when compared with more volatile investments such as stocks.

But it is not just investors putting pressure on prices. Stovell says more and more people want to move to Vancouver to live or vacation.

"People from Alberta are moving back here, and Americans are seeing Vancouver again. so it's really in the spotlight right now."

All that extra attention is bound to keep pushing prices skyward, he says.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

People tend to focus on the growth of a handful of major cities but if you look around the world there's actually a huge amount of urban shrinkage occurring as well. As some cities are growing many others are hollowing out.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

That was part of my point but i guess I didn't make that clear. Even smaller cities are being hosed by this consolidation of everything unless they're close enough to one of the handful of cities experiencing any kind of meaningful progress that people can stomach the hours long daily commute.

Well you covered Canada well, and I didn't think it would be news to you, I just thought I'd chime in to let people who might not be as up to date on urban policy know that this is even worse in Eastern Europe or parts of the US rust-belt (Detroit being the poster child for urban decay).

What's really disturbing is how much Richard Florida and his "creative cities" bullshit caught on in the planning world about a decade and a half ago. Florida pretty much says that we should encourage and accelerate the consolidation of countries into a few big cities and that rising property values should be seen as a sign of policy success. While a lot of his influence probably comes from city planners and politicians just using his terrible ideas to do things they would have done anyway it's still kind of disheartening when you find out that many of the worst trends in urban policy are currently being celebrated by one of the most influential pop-urbanists in the English speaking world.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

There is a reason / need for rural communities though. People like living them in them and they provide an alternative to city life.

A lot of 20th century planning was dedicated to trying to create perfectly efficient and rational cities that would maximize production and consumption and transform homes into "machines for living", as Courbusier called them. The results were catastrophic and created lead to urban planning disasters we're still recovering from.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Why is "giving people the ability to choose where and how they will live their live" such an extravagant goal? Presumably the main value of having a political democracy and a vibrant economy is to increase people's freedom to determine their life circumstances rather than maximizing productive efficiency.

Also, we still have horse ranches where people can go and enjoy horse riding and I would completely support redistributing income in such a way that low income people who are currently priced out of the ability to enjoy horse riding could now experience their hobby of choice.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Lexicon posted:

Lol, what? I was with you right up until this last bit

I think we should redistribute income because more income is one of the most reliable ways of increasing a persons actually existing personal freedom. If people want to use that additional income to visit a horse ranch, or to save up and buy their own horse, then more power to them. To be clear, I am not specifically advocating that maximizing horse ownership should be the goal of redistribution, I just assume it might be a side effect.

Baronjutter posted:

Well it's a matter of "cost to society" really. If rural living required massive subsidies (it does to an extent) then it's not really in society's best interests to subsidize them to such a degree. But trying to min/max society doesn't work either, specially when your "dump stat" is just the entire working class.

I think a whole spectrum of types of living from rural to big city should be possible, but within reason. We also need to re-look at these types of living to minimize their social and upkeep costs. Rural living doesn't have to be totally car/truck dependent and devoid of any sort of culture or human interaction. A small town can actually be a walkable village, there are hundreds of very cozy villages and small towns in europe for instance. Like the "strong towns" guy is always going on about the classic main-street small town model. That's perfectly reasonable living and those types of towns can absolutely still have economies when their cores haven't been totally abandoned after some big-box stores open up juuuust outside the city limits.

Once again, going back to small towns in europe, they are often totally different than small towns here. Despite being small, they're still dense since they were built pre-automobile. So instead of just a vague geographic area with a bunch of random houses and business spread randomly over the countryside with the only planning seeming to be "keep buildings as far apart as possible" they'll be a pleasant cluster of buildings around a town square or high street of row buildings with shops on the bottom and offices/apartments above, then a ring of classic single family houses but still with everyone within a short walk to the centre, and then from there actual farms and rural estates and such. Despite being tiny these small towns and villages usually have a bus route or two or even a train station. You can hop on the train or bus and be in a much larger city in a short time, so they are still quite connected with the rest of society.

This really is the heart of the issue. We happen to build a lot of our rural communities in an incredible extravagant and inefficient manner that isn't really sustainable under current conditions.

But I feel that there's a difference between saying "society faces trade-offs regarding transportation, and it isn't really fair to ask the rest of Canada to subsidize a highly inefficient form of living that requires the unsustainable use of auto-mobiles". That, to me, is just a part of democracy and collective decision making.

However, when someone says " There is no real need for [rural communities]" while ignoring the fact that people want to live in rural communities is, to me at least, kind of forgetting what the actual point of our economy is. If a lot of people want to do something then that's a legitimate reason to try and structure the economy to make that thing a possibility. It doesn't mean we should totally ignore the trade offs or avoid doing a cost-benefit analysis, but I don't think its healthy to slip into a mode of analysis where the only reason to do anything is some narrow and reductive question of maximizing productive efficiency.

If large numbers of people want to live in rural settings then that's a reason to try and make it possible.

You laugh now, but I bet millions of temporarily-embarrassed-ranch-owners are going to be lining up to vote for the NEP in four years.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Rime posted:

Lack of any coherent civil planning is most certainly a huge blow to how towns have developed in BC. If you look at the older towns established prior to 1900, especially in the south-central interior (Nelson, Castlegar, etc), you'll see that they all followed the "old world" model of civic planning that NZ has managed to stick with. A dense commercial core with offices / apartments on the upper floors, and residential surrounding it. For towns that managed to hold a sustainable population level this worked, and continues to work fantastically.

This is the same dynamic that turned Toronto into the weird hybrid monstrosity that it is today. Many of the downtown neighborhoods were already flourishing before the postwar car and highway boom, and while there are issues with affordability they are quite walk-able. We even have a few areas with European style devleopment where you have storefronts on the ground floor and then a couple stories of apartments stacked on top. But these neighborhoods are ridiculously gentrified, and evne worse they are embedded within ever growing concentric rings of terrible postwar neighborhoods. Like most of the world we were building mega highways in the 50s and 60s but in our case there was a huge backlash so after the Spadina Expressway was cancelled the province stopped building high ways into the downtown but also never really replaced them with anything (the NDP in the 1990s was going to build a bunch more subways, along Eglinton and such, but when the Harris Tories got elected in 1995 one of their first acts was to cancel the new subway building). As a result the city has some of the worst driving conditions in all of North America.

As an added bonus Toronto in the 1950s and 60s had a huge appetite for building tower apartment blocks that look like something out of Eastern Europe, except they were mostly built by private developers. These towers are a great idea in principle -- they were supposed to combine dense population centres with lots of surrounding green space -- but for a variety of reasons they are terribly zoned and instead of being used by middle class car owners they ended up mostly becoming low income housing for New Canadians, with the result being that these communities that were built for cars are filled with pedestrians. Also the green space turned out to be a huge incentive for criminal activity and the zoning ensures there aren't enough local stores to provide either shopping or employment opportunities. So in addition to endless lots of identical town houses and bungalows our "inner suburbs" are also filled with dystopian tower blocks that look like pint sized versions of the Megablocks from Judge Dredd.

We hear a lot about the failures of central planning in Europe and Asia but here in North America we have our own example of catastrophically bad planning, and you can see the ongoing impact in almost every city and town in Canada.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

According to a friend of mine who worked at BMO a few years back you're never supposed to talk about "problems", only "opportunities".

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Nah man. With the dollar so low and other markets so volatile there's never been a better time for foreigners to buy into Canada's real estate market. Besides, Vancouver's prices are supported by its pristine natural environment. God aint making any more scenic mountain ranges so buy now while the buying is good.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Jumpingmanjim posted:

The homeequicaust

The Home Shoahning.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

The middle class nuclear family has gone the way of the Fordist corporation. It's creative destruction at work.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

How about weather? Don't get me wrong I adore Montreal, but let's not ignore the fact it's godawful in the winter.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Rime posted:

I put some thought into things and hit upon a way to reverse rural decline and ease the pressure on cities:

Offer massive, film & gaming industry level, tax subsidies for firms which allow employees to telecommute. If we can subsidize companies over 50% of their employee salaries just to employ people in an industry , why not offer something similar to encourage growth in rural areas? I know tons of white collar workers who would rather be on the island or the Kootenays rather than a lovely tenement in the West End

Most corporations would never take advantage of it, because for some reason offices in Canada have a plantation mentality (I've been told straight up "if I can't see you in the office, it means you aren't working.") but it's worth a shot. :shrug:

That sounds like a system that would be wide open for abuse and fraud. If we're daydreaming about pie-in-the-sky ways the government could help rural communities then you might as well just say we should have huge crown corporations that have a government mandate to hire people for good pay and then let them telecommute, or simply have them locate offices in smaller communities as a way to keeping those communities afloat.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

cowofwar posted:

I'm confused as to why the government should subsidize rural towns when they are completely useless and a drain on resources. We don't need to subsidize highways and other infrastructure for the cottages of rich people.

Because usefulness is subjective and not everyone wants to live in dense urban environments and there's no reason, in principle, that a society with our level of wealth and technical advancement could not design sustainable rural communities built on a more traditional model of pre-automobile small towns, many of which were more sustainable.

Also the point of subsidizing this would specifically be that it would make such communities more accessible to regular working people and thus no longer mere cottages for the rich, which many of the more charming rural communities are at risk of turning into.

I mean, taking your statement to its logical extreme, old people are expensive and basically useless so maybe the government should stop providing healthcare or pensions for anyone past retirement age. It's just our inefficient subjective morality that says people should be kept alive past their 60s.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Lexicon posted:

Take your statement to its logical extreme, and we're collectively obliged to fund underwater colonies and towns at the tops of mountains. At a certain point, why should we fund this environmentally and financially wasteful style of living?

Assuming everyone is given a roughly equal voice in making these decisions then I see no problem with society deciding to build an underwater city, just like I don't have any problem with spending some of our resources to send humans into space. The basic purpose of the economy and government should be first to provide a baseline standard of living, second to provide a baseline standard of freedom, and, once those requirements are met, to do the best job it can to secure the happiness of its citizens. I happen to believe we have the resources to pursue all three of those goals, and the main barriers are political rather than resource based.

But really what you're saying is incredibly spurious because I'm reasonably confident that large numbers of people would choose to live in rural communities if lack of employment wasn't an issue, whereas I don't get the impression that large numbers of people strongly desire to live on mountain tops or the ocean floor. I also don't think the cost of supporting rural living through a basic income or a crown corporation would be anywhere near the cost of the projects you describe, so the same trade-offs aren't present.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

If even 10% of Canada's towns under 50K people are dominated by agriculture, I'll donate $100 to the charity of your choice.

I will find 500 other people who want to live on the edge of some random northern lake. We will move there. You will build and maintain roads, water, police and fire coverage, medical facilities, schools, banks, and phone access. Let me know when you're ready.

According to statistics Canada Canadian farmers made up 10.3% of the total rural population.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Well presumably those farmers need the same services as everyone else. Or do you demand that farming towns should not have gas stations, restaurants, grocery stores, etc.?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

You're arguing by picking the low hanging fruit and ignoring the broader philosophical discussion about what the real purpose of the economy is. I'd like to think it's about maximizing people's choices and happiness to the great degree possible, within limits set by the inherent trade-offs of resource scarcity. By contrast, some people, whatever they might claim, seem to view the economy as basically being a way to distribute punishment to the unworthy.

Besides which, everyone in this economy subsidizes everyone else because it takes a huge collective effort too produce and reproduce our civilization. Even people who don't directly contribute to our tax base may be raising parents, supporting an elder, working on an artistic project that others will eventually enjoy, etc.

Our material living standards are threatened by the extreme concentration of economic wealth at the top of society, not the lives of ordinary people living in rural communities. This incredibly petty crab bucket mentality you're promoting is counter productive and frankly quite ugly. We should be focusing on the people who are actually harming us -- i.e. our politicians, the media, large corporations and the people who own them. Obviously I don't know you or your exact story but right now you come off to me like the progressive equivalent of some blue collar white working stiff who is angry at people on welfare instead of the boss who just relocated the factory to another country.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

You...are not right.

I'm not angry at people on welfare, though. I just don't think it's a fundamental right to live wherever you want, and that like other luxuries you should pick up the tab for it as the person who benefits. I also don't think we should subsidize inground pools or mortgages or private car ownership or film production.

Nothing is a fundamental right because rights are political constructs. The point is that we have more than enough resources to help people live in rural communities without it impacting the standard of living enjoyed by us city slickers. Our politicians and corporations are the ones screwing us, not another family of working stiffs who just happen to have the ambition to live next to a lake instead of a skyscraper. But instead of engaging with that reality you're doing the typical crab bucket maneuver of fixating on people from the tribe that you don't like.

Upthread you posted a very interesting article about how German regulators actively try to bring down the cost of housing to ensure it remains affordable. Personally I think that is a fantastic policy and I wish we had something like that in Canada. Based on what you're posting here though, I assume you would condemn it as a wasteful misuses of taxpayer resources. After all the Germans are taxing hard working people like yourself and handing that money to a government bureaucrat whose entire job is just to make it easier for some bozo to buy a house. How's that really different than subsidizing someone's mortgage or pool?

I can't really see any logic in the things you want to subsidize (native reserves, healthcare for fatsos, welfare for the pooor) vs. the things you don't, other than petty progressive tribalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

There may not be logic to it! I lived in semi-rural Ontario when I was growing up, and have many friends and relations who live in small towns or unincorporated areas. I enjoy visiting them, it is nice out there. I do not begrudge them any happiness, and I don't feel threatened by their successes. I think it is perfectly reasonable and moral to want to live in a small town, or to want a large lot for a garden, or a pool. I don't think we should discourage those practices. We do as a society have the money to buy people pools, but for whatever reason I don't think of "having a pool" as being part of the social contract they way "have healthcare" or "avoid starving" are. I also don't think "I would rather live in neighbourhood A than neighbourhood B" is part of the social contract. Maybe I'm merely not ambitious enough, and should be looking much more broadly at quality of life choices that we can help each other with. Decentralized living also has resource and environmental impact that can't be really wiped out by the tax base, unfortunately. Nor can we necessarily spend our way out of doctor shortages.

I think the German thing is fine, but I'm ok with regulation of provision of essential things like housing. I think the best part of the article is the rent laws, honestly. We made a big mistake when we stopped seeing a building as housing and started seeing it as an investment you sleep in. I don't mind money being spent on the public service either; there are inefficiencies, but compared to the military or taxing capital gains at a lower rate than income (I mean Jesus), they're no big deal.

I'm on the board of a public college, and I spent years working for a non profit. I believe in the commons. I don't think it's right to treat "live in small town" as a special class of preference when it comes to housing, is all. By all means let's agree that we're going to share the costs of each other's housing preferences, with our eyes open; I don't think that's the general agreement among Canadians.

Well I do have a tendency to think big. It may be that in the immediate context we don't fully disagree. For instance, if I were forced to choose between building more infrastructure for small towns or developing a national plan for socialized dentistry, optometry or mental health care, then I would certainly prioritize the latter issues. I just happen to think that there's no fundamental resource constraints that would stop us from helping people live in small towns. It shouldn't necessarily be out immediate priority but it's exactly the kind of thing we should be thinking and talking about.

I believe that the left has suffered a great deal by being forced to play on the ideological terms of the neoliberals / neoconservatives. So I try to encourage people to change how they think about the economy and to emphasize the extent to which our society is already wealthy enough to give us a great deal more freedom to determine our life circumstances and conditions.

cowofwar posted:

Pretty certain most farming is done on industrial and large factory farms. The romanticized idea of the family farm is all but a memory.

Also I'm not sure what a pre-automobile centric small town would be other than the exact same thing but with horses and wagons. It's not like people used to live in high density wooden condos before the invention of the internal combustion engine.

This blog gives a pretty good overview of a pre-WWII town, including lots of pictures.

The short answer to your question would be a main street with multi-story buildings that have businesses on the ground floor and cheap apartments on the upper floors. This relatively dense core is surrounded by layers of duplexes and rowhouses, and then detatched houses on the outter edges. For many, if not most of the residents, the overall community is thus accessible by walking or cycling. Ideally there are also rail links to larger urban centres.

Unfortunately when many people think of rural living they just imagine suburbs, which are indeed massively inefficient and which don't even have the merit of promoting any kind of community life. But if you look at the handful of pre-WWII towns or at various towns in Europe then you can get a better sense of what is possible.

Dreylad posted:

If we want to take the historical perspective, rural Canada subsidized the growth of our urban and suburban communities for... well decades if not over a century. Farmers were taxed to hell so we could build road and services for the suburban developments, who hold the first place prize for "most unsustainable form of living in Canada."

There has been a slow but steady depopulation of rural Canada, so everyone who despises rural living will get their wish in the end, anyway. Just be patient.

For that matter anyone here who has used our socialized healthcare system owes a debt of gratitude to some uppity farmers out west who had this crazy idea that people should be entitled to subsidized healthcare.