Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ok guys I'm playing Tomb Raider BUT I'm encountering one gamebreaking glitch after another and other people playing the game don't seem to have these problems. Maybe somebody here can help me out?

I'm on Nvidia and I heard the game doesn't like that BUT I only heard about crashes and not actual in-game glitches lik these (also I'm from Europe - I don't know if my region has a different version of the game):

-First when I found the very first camp (under the rock) the fire was already burning and in the cutscene Lara proceeded to...light this fire with the last match she found - it was actually a bit hilarious but I waved it off as a glitch.
-Then when I was supposed to upgrade the axe to open the ancient gate - I have already done that earlier so I immediatelly proceeded to open it - an empty level loaded that looked like this and when I run further I fell through the level....
-I fixed the above issue by doing what the game required me to - I gathered the resources for the upgrade and went to the camp and clicked on an already completed upgrade - the game triggered and proceeded normally. However I've heard from other people that before that quest they weren't even able to upgrade their items - but I WAS able to do that which apparently broke the game's sequence. What the hell?
-Now I come to the spot where I can't continue the game anymore - When the QTE with the Russian dude that chokes Lara comes up - no button prompt comes up. A circle is getting smaller with an exclaimation mark in the center - but nothing indicates what button should be pressed. No matter what I do the QTE fails and Lara is choked. What the hell is happening with my game?

Help :(

Palpek fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Palpek posted:

Ok guys I'm playing Tomb Raider BUT I'm encountering one gamebreaking glitch after another and other people playing the game don't seem to have these problems. Maybe somebody here can help me out?

I'm on Nvidia and I heard the game doesn't like that BUT I only heard about crashes and not actual in-game glitches lik these (also I'm from Europe - I don't know if my region has a different version of the game):

-First when I found the very first camp (under the rock) the fire was already burning and in the cutscene Lara proceeded to...light this fire with the last match she found - it was actually a bit hilarious but I waved it off as a glitch.
-Then when I was supposed to upgrade the axe to open the ancient gate - I have already done that earlier so I immediatelly proceeded to open it - an empty level loaded that looked like this and when I run further I fell through the level....
-I fixed the above issue by doing what the game required me to - I gathered the resources for the upgrade and went to the camp and clicked on an already completed upgrade - the game triggered and proceeded normally. However I've heard from other people that before that quest they weren't even able to upgrade their items - but I WAS able to do that which apparently broke the game's sequence. What the hell?
-Now I come to the spot where I can't continue the game anymore - When the QTE with the Russian dude that chokes Lara comes up - no button prompt comes up. A circle is getting smaller with an exclaimation mark in the center - but nothing indicates what button should be pressed. No matter what I do the QTE fails and Lara is choked. What the hell is happening with my game?

Help :(
I'm quoting my own post because nobody answered it (it seems I'm the only person on the planet with a variety of game breaking glitches in this game) and I found a solution.

Connecting a 360 gamepad made the QTE button prompts show up so if you're having the same problems as me - it's time to switch from m+k to a gamepad.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

mmtt posted:

I felt like this because there is Sam journal talking about going on adventures with Lara before and Lara is always running off looking for archeological finds and running away from the 'cute boys'. Guess I'm just curious about the apparent lack of sentimental life of the most iconic female video game character.

I'm saying this because all her qualities, as shown in the game, courage, brawling & shooting, are mostly associated to heroic male stuff. Best exemple is with Alex who acts like a damsel in distress and Lara coming in to save the day, there is a role reversal there.

I don't think she has a lot of feminine traits. She is agile and nimble that I'll grant her. But everyone says she is smart, has good instincts and all and yet she is still dumb as a brick and can't figure the plot ahead despite having all the elements nearly right off the start.
For instance, reality show professor dude is fishy as hell and is a complete scumbag but she only confronts him at the end and yet she doesn't push it. I know the game is all about learn to trust your instincts and all 'cos you are Lara Croft, the most badass woman on earth but still.
Reyes feels more a like strong, grounded female character even if she's even dumber than Lara. Reyes acts like a leader if a lovely one, thinking about everyone involved and the consequences, doesn't want to take unnecessary risks. She is reliable and rational.

I realize those are all gaming/movie tropes and the characters aren't supposed to be genre savvy but it still irks me.
Her decisions and actions can be explained by her young age and inexperience which is a major focus especially in the eariler game. Reyes is more confident because she's older and more experienced and is actually doing what her job description says. Lara gaining confidence throughout the game and being only able to confront some of the difficulties/people at the end is a character development arch leading to her growing into the tomb raider we know from earlier games.

Your association of those traits even if they're simplified for the gaming medium (like her not uncovering plot points beforehand) to being a lesbian and being masculine instead of a weak heterosexual female that I guess she should be is honestly disgusting and tells us all about your own mindset rather than the game's. I'm also quoting your sexist post in case you'd like to edit it out because holy poo poo.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 7, 2013

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

^^^No, it's a terrible derail that this thread doesn't need and you're addressing minor issues instead of looking at the childish biotruths mindset he's representing. Unless you're troll baiting him into getting banned I guess.

Jesus loving christ mmtt :biotruths: guy. Stop it because this is loving embarassing. I answered your previous sexist post and you post another even more sexist one? Keep loving digging.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Mar 7, 2013

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Spite posted:

But here's the thing: you kill like 700 people during the game. That's crazy levels of shooting. I don't think they are trying to show that Lara is a sociopath - they want to make her an action movie badass sure, but not someone who can't wait to mow down 25 more dudes.

I don't mean to say she's a shirking violet at all. She's willing to do whatever it takes to survive and save her friends. But the amount of combat in the game doesn't fit the narrative. It would have been much more effective to have much, much fewer enemies, have each one be extremely dangerous and really make the player work to survive.

Also I'm very amused that this cult on a deserted island is apparently the size of a small army. Seriously, how many of them are there?
The amount of kills is obviously inflated by what audience they were targetting. Also if your usual action movie lasted 10 hours instead of 2 - you would see the exact same amount of kills.

Her attitude throughout the entire time is nothing more than survival though - that's why she treats the deaths on 'her' and 'enemy' sides differently. It's a mindset of somebody being in a warzone and getting to the other side by any means necessary while still maintaining last bits of sanity by relating to close friends and channeling emotions in their direction.

Of course after all this she should have one hell of a PTSD or just turn into a cold mass killer that we know from the previous games :v:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Monolith. posted:

It's also a video game.
There are games that treat it differently like I Am Alive which was exactly based around survival where every kill did count. However the game was very repetitive because the devs didn't really know how to make this idea varied enough.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

TheBystander posted:

This is, of course, easily explained by just saying "it's a video game", and I'm fine with that answer, but the big issue to me is that visually, this game goes the extra mile in showing you how grueling this experience is.
But it really should be explained as it being a video game because when you die you're teleported to the nearest camp with all the collectibles that you gathered between the last save and your death still in your pocket. So it's not a reload but an actual resurrection. Also if they were to make it realistic she would look like a walking nightmare by the end with the mixture of dirt and blood creating an inch thick armor on her skin. Because of both those factors they absolutely made the best decision of still making her look easy on the eye if a bit roughed up.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Enemies hit her with fire arrows in the face sometimes. Where's my realistic indication of that.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The closest picture I found of how she would realistically look like somehat half-way through the game:

Not enough blood, wounds and burns though. She would also limp, slouch and walk really slowly and half of the game would actually be her resting/sleeping. And wipe that smile off your face because PTSD/depression or maybe the insanity is already kicking in?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Chillmatic posted:

gently caress's sake, guys. Find me five pages of this kind of bullshit in a discussion about Max Payne or Batman or God Of war or Dead Space or whatever the gently caress else. Seriously, give it a try. Substitute "her" and "she above for Kratos or Marcus or Halo dude guy.

If you ever find yourself wondering why so few women play not-casual videogames, or why women have had a hard time finding good heroic role models, this thread is a fuckin' perfect example of the obstacles still in place.
I don't know if you have noticed but many voices in this discussion are saying exactly that but using humor and exaggeration instead of just throwing hands into the air. Like my posts on this page for example.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

ImpAtom posted:

Far Cry 3 is a weird area to discuss because it's theoretically supposed to be satire and so it intentionally not focusing on the disgusting aspects is kind of the point. Even despite that it got enough controversy over various aspects that the interview was needed.
At no point Far Cry 3 feels like satire, not a single point. From voice acting to story and cutscenes it's all serious business actually drifting into an unsuccessful attempt at Heart of Darkness. An interview with the writer doesn't change that at all.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

From other titles doing the impactful first kill thing and then going Rambo I can also remember the 1st Assassin's Creed and Darkness 2 1. I'd actually call it a recurring theme in games.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 7, 2013

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

4 Day Weekend posted:

Pretty sure Altair had killed s bunch of people before the game even started.
You're not Altair though are you? You're only controlling him via Desmond and he does commit the very first kill even though using Altair's body. It's a point of the plot and a fitting example.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Scorchy posted:

*kills 15 people, falls down a cliff* "Oh wow a relic! Looks like a 17th century Japanese mask from the Edo period... wait, it says Made in China at the bottom."
I must say I really like the option to look for some hidden details in found relics though. Uncharted had those artifacts you could rotate too but giving it this little spin that you may actually hear new info doing that makes it so much better.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

4 Day Weekend posted:

Wait what? You can spin relics around for more information?
Yes but only when a magnifying glass is displayed on the left when you view the relic. Lara explains what she found and you get some XP for that too. Sometimes it's something funny like "Oh, a price tag on the bottom, I guess it's not authentic." but sometimes it's a cultural detail or a small bit of relic's story.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I made this for a friend who boasted that he killed every bunny and deer he saw:

I must say that after the cutscene where you kill the first deer I didn't feel like killing too many animals. To me the terrified breath and helpless kicking was more suggestive than the gory first human kill.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

PantsBandit posted:

So who saved Lara from drowning in the very beginning anyways? She gets grabbed by somebody when she's trapped under the hatch but then she's suddenly alone.
After rewatching the cutscene the only detail we get is a big hand with dark skin, wearing ring bracelets:

The only known character matching this is Jonah Maiava:

As far as we're concerned between Lara being taken out of the water and her running some time could have passed. In a state of shock she also might have not noticed him and just run for the light. Jonah might have survived because he actually stayed where he was instead of jumping. There are dozens of possible explainations, maybe it was even some random survivor who didn't make it later as we only really get to see his/her wrist.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Just something I read somewhere about similarities between Tomb Raider and the movie The Descent:

There's a blood bath scene in the caves:

Not even mentioning the poster for the sequel:

It really feels like some of the horror/extreme moments were heavily inspired by it.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 12, 2013

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Chillmatic posted:

Heh. Someone doesn't understand satire. :ironicat:

Dude that whole angle was played up to an incredible extent. They're specifically making fun of the whole "rich white dude somehow shows the tribal people TRUE ULTIMATE POWER" trope.

Unfortunately whiny white dudes (the vast majority of gamers in America) apparently can't understand subtlety (however imperfect the end result definitely was).
It doesn't matter what the writer said in an interview. The game didn't do it as satire. From voice acting to the way the dream sequences were shot it was all lead completely seriously and sold completely seriously. It may have even been described differently in the script but the presentation was serious and even stirred into Heart of Darkness direction. The interview with the writer read like a sad effort to make the bad writing seem intentional and I guess it worked on some people.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 12, 2013

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The problem with QTEs is that when you use a controller there is a colored button clearly shown in the middle of the circle but when you use m+k the button description shows somewhere on the screen or doesn't show at all. I have no idea why there's such difference. At first I was using m+k and I would die every single time from the wolf attack QTE because I just didn't know what the hell to press. Then I encountered some strange glitches and switched to a gamepad. BAM every QTE became easy because it's clearly indicated what to press. Frankly it's a bit ridiculous.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Mar 15, 2013

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Anyway yesterday I finished the game. GOTY for me, I had tons of fun, I didn't mind the QTEs as soon as I started using a controller.

The last glitch the game had in store for me was that after I 100%ed each skill tree the XP bar kept rising and shortly before finishing the game I levelled up and received another skill point with nothing to spend it on. On the other hand I didn't find enough salvage to unlock 2 last shotgun upgrades and I didn't feel like grinding another 1000 points to do that.

It seems like when I came back to earlier locations before finishing the game - they were empty so I could just focus on collecting. However when I came back to them after finishing the game - they had enemies again additionally with new conversations. I think this is a nice touch because you can just go wild with your full arsenal while hearing some fresh content. It's like a little new game+.

I collected all GPS markers, documents, relics, maps and completed a couple of the custom collectible challenges but I didn't really want to go back and 100% those too. I was surprised to see that I only unlocked like 60% of acheivements but skimming through them I saw that the rest are mostly multiplayer and I haven't managed to even join a single game despite trying a couple of times. Maybe it's a regional thing.

I really enjoyed this game and can't wait for the sequel.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 15, 2013

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I must say I loving loved the iconic use of double pistols at the very end of the game. Such a cool reference and used in the perfect moment.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Spite posted:

The observation about Drake isn't that he makes John McClane quips. It's that he kills 700 people while doing it. Die Hard only has like a couple dozen bad guys. Drake kills that many in each encounter; it's the sheer volume of enemies in the game that makes it weird.
Comparing movies to games this way never works. First thing is the lenght of a typical movie being 2 hours vs a dozen+ for games and the second is the audience being observers in movies vs being participants in games. There needs to be stuff that you do in an action game or you will drown in cutscenes/dialogues. The kill count in action games will always rise ridiculously and if we only received games that had stories fitting this fact we would be playing Duke Nukem sequels exclusively.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

notZaar posted:

They did this in the Gametrailers review too. Beats the hell out of me what anybody gets from it.
Really? One thing is seeing a random video from a random internet weirdo and another is seeing a review with something like that. This is pathetic.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ash.W posted:

Come on, how long until mod tools feature naked Lara? You've got to expect pathetic.
I just read your post when I saw this video on Gametrailers:

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/v3fcvl/pop-fiction-episode-33--nude-raider

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I wasn't able to join a single multiplayer game. It might be a regional thing of being in Europe where there are fewer players. Still it was kinda strange to me not to be able to find a game in a fresh title like this in 10 tries or just hang out infinitely in empty lobbies.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

CheechLizard posted:

because I am not an srs gamerz? :fap:
You fap to a rebarb getting pulled out of a wound?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Lara is a indirectly a superheroine so I don't know what the problem is - she mows down tons of enemies and has super-strenght, impossible endurance, agility, can run infinitely etc.

To me this game is almost like Batman: Begins in a lot of ways. The movie introduced darker themes, probability and physical constraints to a guy who will later fly between skyscrapers without making you actually analyse it or destroying the suspension of desbelief because you have to buy the improbable premise in the first place.

Tomb Raider is the same. We know Lara Croft as a woman who graciously jumps through bottomless tombs while escaping T-Rexes. You have to accept a certain dose of fiction here while allowing for some rough "origins" themes that add flavor to the story. Her difficulties and low points create a drama and benefit the plot while analysing the consistency of received wounds falls way out of the fiction spectrum that the franchise still contains.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I don't think these things have to be mutually exclusive. I think you can make a game where Lara gets impaled and spends the whole game dealing with the consequences that's still fun. How exactly do you do that? I don't loving know, I don't make videogames for a living and have a multi-million dollar budget with which to do so. Maybe those people should figure it out instead of just giving every game a Dark and Mature and Real story with Moral Ambiguity, and then making the gameplay 10 hours of being an action movie badass and killing faceless guys with no consequences.
Crystal Dynamics wanted to make an action game. It's not that they didn't know how to make a survival game - they chose to go for action, that was their goal because they still wanted to make a Tomb Raider.

Also you've made quite a logical leap there - in this thread I saw people criticizing the disconnect between the storytelling and the gameplay (that I personally have no problem with) and not people who didn't have fun with this game. Looking critically at certain aspects of a product doesn't mean dismissing it as a whole. I don't see fanboys/haters division that you're suggesting but rather people who had much fun with the game but want to discuss certain points that they had/didn't have problems with.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 18, 2013

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

ImpAtom posted:

There were some old PC games that went in that territory. I remember at least one where you could end up blind and basically completely hosed because of it.
Was it Robinson's Requiem by any chance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuIgzFW7B2I

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yodzilla posted:

So just for the heck of it I decided to try and fire up multiplayer last night but it's completely dead already isn't it.
I haven't been able to launch a single multiplayer session for 3 days now but apparently it's not good and maps are camper/spawn point fest with dudes outlevelling you by a few classes so I don't think we're missing anything.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The very end the game directly tells you there will be a sequel so if it sells enough I don't see it not happening. It already received critical acclaim and is a known brand.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh Jesus Christ, when Lara cauterizes her leg wound :stonk:
I can't wait for your screams when you see what the game still has in stock for you :allears:
You can embed videos on SA now. I watched another death compilation earlier and so many deaths that I haven't seen. The branch through the stomach and having throat sliced while hanging upside down were really surprising - eariler I thought the infamous head impalement was the only really gruesome one.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Mordaedil posted:

It was overhauled from a PS1 game.

drat, despite being a really weak game Angel of Darkness looks like the biggest leap when it comes to graphics.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yodzilla posted:

Is it possible to overhunt all of the areas of the map or only ones with boars? I spent a good deal of time in the first area blasting deer and rabbits and I never got the message there.
When you reload the game the overhunted areas reset. Also I think the first area is basically glitched because yeah - you can hunt animals for all the XP and salvage in the world and they infinitely respawn.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ok so let's get this straight. Square Enix just released 19 DLCs for Tomb Raider out of which:
  • 6 are multiplayer weapons
  • 3 are multiplayer outfits
  • 1 is a multiplayer map
  • 5 are paid early unlocks for skills that you otherwise simply unlock playing the game
  • 3 are singleplayer outfits
  • 1 is an extra singleplayer tomb
So only 1 DLC that actually adds anything substantial to the game, the other are fluff skins, paid in-game unlocks and a bunch of DLCs for multiplayer that nobody plays.

It's also worth mentioning that Square Enix asks $3 for one multiplayer map while Activision sells their infamous Call of Duty mappacks containing 5 maps for $15. Which means the price is exactly the same here but for an infinitely less popular multiplayer mode.

Can it have something to do with Square Enix reporting an "extraordinary loss" to their shareholders earlier today? I wonder if the "major reforms and restructuring in its development policy, organizational structure, some business models and others." they mention in the document are paid unlocks and CoD style map pricing?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Mr. Mallory posted:

I'm not seeing the extra Tomb DLC on steam??
I wanted to link it but...it disappeared :stare:

I swear it was there when I looked - something about a pilot and there was a crashed plane in the thumbnail. The only DLC I actually considered buying. And yeah the list shows 18 DLCs now and not 19. Welp.

EDIT: it does exist: http://store.steampowered.com/app/208812/

Not for US region I think.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 26, 2013

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Renoistic posted:

Does anyone know how extensive the tomb is? For that price it had better be bigger than a single room.
It looks like it's a bit more spacious optional tomb with some interesting set pieces. The youtube walkthroughs for it are about 8 minutes long.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Alteisen posted:

Tomb Raider has sold 3.4 million in less than a month and its apparently a huge failure in Square Enix's eyes.

What the gently caress is wrong with this industry. :cripes:
To be fair it sold fewer copies than Hitman: Absolution which I find bizarre. Isn't Tomb Raider a more well known series? And the game is actually the best in the series unlike the new Hitman.

I'm not defending the industry here in any way though because last I heard EA said that every franchise that sells fewer than 5 million copies will be canned and that's ridiculous. But hey - both EA and Square Enix are in trouble right now so I guess it shows their ideas don't really work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Rookersh posted:

Uh, where specifically do they say Tomb Raider is below expectations?

Also

quote:

Square Enix expected 14.9 million retail game sales from North America and Europe combined in its six-monthly forecast last September. Considering the fact that Tomb Raider, Hitman Absolution and Sleeping Dogs were the only big releases for these regions and accounted for a combined 8.75 million sales worldwide, it's clear that their targets were a good deal higher.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 27, 2013

• Locked thread