Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Winson_Paine posted:

OK, this car is way more loving fun to drive than I was expecting. Goddamn. The 13mpg I am getting is not so cool, but it is a fun 13mpg...

Now put a rumbly exhaust on it. That 4.6 sounds so good with a set of aftermarket mufflers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

That video's old. The exhaust leak is steadily getting worse. I should do a video of how it sounds lately, it's absurd.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Awesome shots! Looks like a fun place to go exploring :)

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVTe8PKHl6Y

I continue to believe I made the right choice by going with glasspacks.

Also, interesting quirk my car has developed. Because of how wobbly my power steering pulley is getting, it feels almost like the pump itself is cavitating and grinding occasionally when i'm driving. I really need to replace that when I get some extra money this month, because it's getting fairly sketchy.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Delivery McGee posted:

Also, holy poo poo you can get these things from Amazon for $50 a set.

Sure, they're cheapass knockoffs, but at 8 for the price of a single Ford one, it's worth it even if two or three are DOA.

Yup. I just had to change out my #5 coil and plug and went that route, no issues so far and the car actually runs better than it did when I bought it. I don't expect it to last me forever, but hey, for the price I couldn't complain.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

leica posted:

How long you had them in? I might just go this route because for $50 why not.

Been contemplating selling our CV though, so probably not anytime soon.

So far? About a week :v:

The weird thing is, somehow the swap also fixed my EGR CEL. No idea how, but suddenly my car is not complaining about EGR mixture being off.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Any of you guys have any suggestions on removing the double sided sticky strips that hold the door trim on? My front driver's side one was busted halfway off by a deer a month or two ago, so I decided to finally just yank all 4 strips and give the car a cleaner look, but the problem is i'm left with what looks like sticky tape on all 4 doors from where the trim was. I've got a big can of 3M Adhesive cleaner and it seems to be softening it up somewhat at least, just wondering if there's a really good way to clean this poo poo off i'm missing.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Holdbrooks posted:

Still driving the poo poo out if mine, had it less than a year and already put like 30k miles on it. No problems yet. I guess that's why there are not a ton of post in here, they are pretty reliable.

Pretty much this for me. I just replaced my power steering pump and pulley a week or two ago and that's been the only major issue it's had to have fixed since I bought it in 2010, aside from requiring a new coil + spark plug and a low pressure power steering hose a couple years ago. I can't complain.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

He also apparently doesn't realize that people could also just buy a base CV and then get the cosmetic stuff to make it look like an actual cop car, so people could still pretend to be police easily without the sale of former police cars.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

themachine posted:

I haven't been able to find a solid answer for these questions I have, maybe you guys can help. Like I mentioned in here before, I'm planning on swapping the OEM steel wheels on my 2006 for Bullit wheels. I have been told that the bolt pattern is the same, but I still have questions. Should it be a straight up swap, or will I need stuff like spacers to make them work ok? They are 17 inch wheels, same as the steelies on the car now. At the same time that I'm changing the wheels, I'm planning on getting new tires as well, planning on Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads. My question for that is, what is the best size exactly to put on the Bullit wheels? Should I know this beforehand, or will the tireshop just know/find out for me? I'm not lowering the car or changing the suspension in any way with this, so it will be all stock still. Also, looking at the Bullit wheels, it looks like the lug nuts are exposed/visible. What/where is the best place to order new ones that have a nice finish to them, instead of the surface rusted ones I have on the car now. It would look silly to have fresh clean wheels on the car with rusted lug nuts visible on them.

What offset Bullits do you plan on going with? I'm currently running 17x9 Bullitts front and rear, +30 offset all the way around and I have to use fairly thick spacers on my 2001. 1.25" front, 1.5" rear, otherwise the back of the wheel grinds against the balljoints up front. Also, pretty much any Mustang wheel will bolt right up, Vics use the standard 5 x 4.5 Mustang bolt pattern. As for tire size, on a 17x9 i'm using 245/45/R17 Kumho Ecsta ASTs and they still have decent sidewall and look great without crazy stretch / bulging.

Super old shot, but this is what it still looks like. This is on stock suspension, no lowering or anything like that. If you're going with a 0 or -30 offset you should be alright, but beware positive setups.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Ah, I didn't realize they were that drastically different. I knew the offset of the factory steelies changed between the -02s and the 03+s but I never knew it was by that much :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

That's one swanky car. I dig it.

Also, question for the whale owners: Thinking about picking up some 17x9 Soft 8's with a 0 offset to replace my 17x9 +30 Bullitts. According to Cragar, the backspace on them is 5". I tried looking at that wheel swap guide on CV Net but they didn't have any info on the backspacing of the stock wheels, and I can't seem to find that out anywhere. They'd be going on my 2001 CVPI, just trying to figure out if I'd need to run spacers still or if I could fit these on without issue.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

That's the exact setup i'm planning, gently caress yes! Thank you so much for this :D

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

The problem I have with the anti-whacker crowd is, even if you're using strobes for a legit loving purpose they still flip poo poo.

Like, this right here? This would cause them to cry "WHACKER!" so hard, despite the fact that I run fire / first responder calls and actually use the drat things for a reason. poo poo's ridiculous, they'd lose their minds if they knew I also have taillight strobes and wig-wags that I still need to install.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Firefighter / search and rescue, when i'm not at my fulltime job.

Technically, i'm maintenance for a private community as my main job, then if i'm not at work i'm on call 24/7 for the fire department in case we get a fire / water rescue / search & rescue / MVA / what-have-you.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Friar Zucchini posted:

One might make the argument that the very idea of a CV with a blinky light makes you a whacker. For me at least, one look at the wheels, and a closer look at the bumper where the bullbar used to be, and the missing trim on the door, tells me you're not trying very hard to look like a cop, but the dash light would make me wonder. It might be a good idea to get a maltese-cross bumper sticker or a FF license plate just to drive the point home.

I've already got plenty of stickers on the back, including my "(town name) Fire and Rescue" decal on the trunk, so no worries there. I might apply for an actual Firefighter plate when it comes time to renew my registration for next year, we'll see when that gets closer though. I do want to put a bullbar back on, but that's more because A. I think bullbars look awesome on Vics, and B. gently caress deer :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

SomethingOrAnother posted:

So are you a firefighter on the departments payroll or a volunteer firefighter? Authorized as a legal signaled vehicle? I don't know what the laws are in your area, but for the few depts that allow personal vehicles to have signals, they must be visible 360 degrees and 500ft range siren. Most chiefs say no anyway because they don't want their phone ringing at all hours of the night because somebody with a kojak light ran Jane Smith into the ditch or blew a red light and nearly hit somebody.

I don't mean to label you as a whacker if you're not. But we're all well aware that there are a lot of volunteer firefighters that try to live out their jack bauer fantasies raging unsafely down the road like a badass mother fuckin' firefighter.

Volunteer, and the chief is the one that sold me those lights. He trusts his department to use them responsibly because he knows we're not crazed jackasses. I mean, we are, but not in that area :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

poo poo, I paid $1800 for my '01 when I bought it with ~140k miles. It ran and drove, just had minor cosmetic damage in the front:

I'm with 13", shop around and see if you can find something that's actually roadworthy. You can get P71s for fairly cheap, and even those LXs aren't super pricy.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Nice! Looks pretty clean, congrats on the purchase!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Comedy option: Save up, find a wrecked SVT Lightning, drop in the supercharged 5.4 :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

So, possibly dumb question, but where should I start looking to diagnose a rough idle when my 2001 CVPI first starts? Idle Air Control motor is brand new, just replaced it and the gasket maybe a few months ago. It's had a CEL for a long time now due to an exhaust leak at the passenger side header, EGR flow insufficient or something similar, but the rough idle is recent. It just started doing it maybe a week or two ago, tops. It sounds almost like a miss but after 15 - 30 seconds it smooths out and idles like normal, albeit with a somewhat muted exhaust note.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Mooseykins posted:

Vacuum leaks! Don't these Ford Modulars have issues with cracking plastic inlet manifolds and gaskets?

Starting fluid/ether can often be used to help find vacuum leaks. Spray it on inlet manifold (not down the intake/throttle body) and vacuum lines, etc and look for a change in idle or engine noise.

I'll have to check and see if there are any noticeable leaks tomorrow after work then. If it's something that simple, then awesome, I can deal with that :v:

I'm wondering if maybe some of the Brakleen I used to clean the old Idle Air Control might have gotten inside and fouled my plugs or otherwise caused some sort of issue. Is that a thing that can happen?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Points to Mooseykins for calling it. The plastic EGR hose that runs from my valve cover to the intake broke apart. Again. It broke once and dad and I bodged it back together, but apparently our fix failed so we had to patch it back together again:

It's not pretty, but it works :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Mooseykins posted:

EGR? Isn't that brake booster vacuum supply?

It runs from the top of the passenger side valve cover, over, and plugs into the throttle body. I just sorta figured it was EGR related :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Mooseykins posted:

EGR would be a metal pipe, so it doesn't melt while it sents hot waste exhaust poo poo into your engine to slowly ruin it and drain your wallet.

Spoken like someone who has never had the experience and joy of replacing a DPFE sensor on a Ford Focus :haw:

You'd think they'd use metal for that particular situation for the exact reason you described, but no. Plastic.

e: that being said, you're right, it's the PCV breather and not EGR. This being Ford though, I'm never sure anymore.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 27, 2015

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Holdbrooks posted:

Let me know if you figure it out, I have had the same problem for the last 10k miles.

I found mine. The PCV breather tube that goes from the passenger side valve cover to the throttle body had snapped in two, fixed that and it runs fine again. I doubt yours is busted in half like mine was, but you may want to check and see if it's cracked or loose.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Speaking of blower / air issues, i've got a slightly weird one. Have the fan speed set to highest, vent knob set to off. Twist the vent knob to dash vent, and I get what can best be described as a weird squeak / growl sound, and maybe the tiniest bit of air, then nothing. It seems to actually blow a slight amount of air if I start driving and do highway speeds, but otherwise, nada. Same thing no matter what I put it on, be it floor, defrost, max a/c, etc. Changing fan speed knob also doesn't help in the slightest. I'm guessing dead blower resistor? It used to do this intermittently a year or two ago, but whacking the firewall area with a bit of pipe would fix it.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Yinzer posted:

Just curious if any of you bought a Panther in order to keep it on the road as long as possible.

An '04 CV with 61k miles on it, non-fleet use, non-interceptor, garaged, never seen snow, etc. In pretty nice condition..

I'd like to drive it for the rest of my life or however long the engine lasts. How many years do you think I can get out of it? I live in Pittsburgh BTW and I know the climate here may not be nice to the vehicle.

Honestly? I bought my CVPI in 2010 with ~140k miles. 5 years later, it's sitting at 202k and still going strong with only minor issues and a few mechanical replacement bits. I've got a new radiator, new power steering pump, new battery, and a few other smaller engine bits that wore out with age and it's currently showing no real signs of stopping. The worst i'm dealing with now is the fact that it seems to leak / use oil, but it's not horribly bad considering the mileage. Keep up the maintenance and that car will likely outlive you :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

So, weird issues abound with my '01 P71. Been noticing that it seems to be losing or using coolant somewhat regularly. I added more today, and waited a bit to see if there were any noticeable leaks. Sure enough, after a while I spotted a drip from the front of the motor. Got down and crawled underneath, and the coolant appeared to be dripping from... the front of the oil pan :psyduck:

Obviously that's probably just where it ended up collecting after leaking from wherever, but that's still a weird rear end spot for it to collect and drip from. I'm just wondering where the poo poo the actual leak could be now. Doesn't appear to be running down around the pulleys or anything, and I didn't notice any wetness near the intake or valve covers or anywhere else obvious. This car gets weirder and weirder.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I'm honestly not sure. Whatever it is, it's losing it at a decent rate. It's always at the very bottom of the reservoir and I have to add plenty to get it back up to the Cold Fill line. I may have to try and jack it up at some point and crawl under there with a flashlight to see if I can spot the source.

Funny thing is, it's not overheating. It gets up to halfway on the temp gauge, the fans kick on, and it stays at halfway or drops depending on speed. Seems to cool better at lower speeds, oddly enough. The only time it's ever gotten to the overheating point was when my old radiator poo poo itself and I lost all my coolant on the 10 mile drive from my parents' and my place, and luckily it was only at the top of the temp gauge for a minute at best as I limped it the very last couple hundred feet to my house.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

boxen posted:

I fully intend to sell my e30 in the next year or so and get a 2003+ P71 because of those type of posts. I already have a small, impractical car (Fiero), and it'd be nice to have a huge RWD couch with four doors and a v8.

One of us, one of us, one of us...

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I constantly think about buying a CV. Hell for what I'd get out of selling the MS6 I could get a nice CV and a decent Jeep to beat around in during the winter.

ONE OF US. Everyone needs to own at least one Panther at some point, i'm convinced.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i love my Grand Marquis but goddamn i am not looking forward to another RWD winter

I'm actually looking forward to it, oddly. There's something incredibly satisfying about having a RWD V8 in the snow :getin:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Somehow my '01 CVPI randomly lost high beams :v:

Low beams work fine, but as soon as I click the stalk to high beams both headlights immediately go out. Leave them on low, everything's fine. Flash to pass also doesn't work, they just stay low rather than do low + high. Pulled the bulbs and the filaments seem fine, so I'm guessing either a fuse somewhere is fried or the LCM might be going out. All the other lights work, no issues with turn signals or brake lights or anything like that. Gonna be fun to chase down this gremlin :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Your LCM might still be covered by "customer satsfaction" program 14N01. Drop your VIN into here and see if there is an LCM notice: https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/maintenance/recalls.html

Unfortunately the only one that comes up is 02B02, aka "OPTIONAL CVPI UPGRADE PROGRAM-VEHICLE MUST BE IN LAW ENFORCEMENT DUTY-VERIFY LAWENFORCEMEN ", which is apparently just a fuel tank shield thing. Ah well, worst case I can drop it off with the family friend who fixed it before v:shobon:v

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Holy poo poo that wagon owns. I need that in my life :h:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

When you say area under the head unit, do you mean directly under the HVAC controls? Because there should be a slide out cupholder that goes there, directly in the center.

Also, gimme your pushbar :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Those cupholders are super nice to have. I love mine, though they could stand to be a bit deeper.