Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

leica posted:

^^^^ Looks good

IMO, it rivals most SUVs for utility. The trunk is huge and also safer as it's separate from the passenger compartment. With SUVs and wagons it's realy not a good idea to stack poo poo higher than the top of the seat. Even then, unless it's secured tightly it's bad news in an accident. Throw a roof rack on top of a Crown Vic and you've got a vehicle that will rival any SUV out there. Crown Vics are awesome camping vehicles :)

If I had the money, I'd trade my Blazer for a Crown Vic in a hot second. Only issue is I'd really like it to be a manual, and Ford made approximately seven of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

SouthLAnd posted:

The 93-95 Taurus/Sable center console looks good in CVs (never mind the non matching colors). I've seen the shifter cutout converted into a handy storage bin.

Info Here

Ah yes, the oft-overlooked upside to parts-bin interiors: everything is interchangable.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I just noticed the subtle humor in having a Red vs. Blue reference in the title of a thread about cop cars.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Lord Gaga posted:

The lo-po 302 is garbage, absolute abject boat anchor garbage...worse than a Chevy 305

Why:
-Garbage internals
-Garbage heads
-Flat tappet lifters when all the HOs had roller
-150HP
-Garbage every thing else

Even the good 302s have issues above 400HP or so with the blocks splitting, don't they?

Either way, yeah, you'd be better off holding out for a 4.6-powered one in good nick -- or, hell, building one of your GM cars. I'm sure one or two of them has a small block or 3.8 V6 tucked under the hood.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hmmm... no.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if the linkage had no actual effect at all, and the rating drop was meant to "encourage" buyers towards a better higher profit margin Expedition or something instead -- remember this was the height of the SUV craze.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

":clint: This here F-250's got a GVWR of 12,000 lbs."

*Loads 12,800 onto a single-axle trailer, plus a pallet of bricks in the bed*

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

I thought I read somewhere the final Vics were like 4400 lbs.

They probably are in active cop duty trim, all that radio gear and weapon storage has got to add up.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well obviously I was referring to curb weight. :cheeky:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

leica posted:

2nd week of July I'm taking time off and hopefully gonna put a dent in the huge pile of parts I have for the Vic. I want to get it done but I'm not exactly excited about it because gently caress working on cars in FL in July :(

I've had a new upper control arm for my Blazer for a month, I just can't summon up the motivation to go get sunburned and dehydrated from working outside for 2 hours. drat heat. And then it dumps rain for 20 minutes and the rest of the day is like working in a sauna.

Relevant to the thread, I potentially saved a Towncar from having its airbags pinched open the other day. Dumbass coworker (who's been there longer than me) forgot to switch off the air ride and the bags deflated. I managed to lower it down slow enough that they pumped back up. I always wondered why they didn't just close the vents when the suspension gets past like 50% droop; I know some GM truck that had it was set up that way.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

leica posted:

I don't want a huge tank, besides I have an 18v cordless impact that works awesome.

Also wanted to mention I had to buy an entire set of new lug nuts for like the 4th time since I've owned this car. Apparently people can't make chrome lug nuts for poo poo anymore.

Are they those chrome-jacketed steel pieces of poo poo? If so you should look into getting solid metal ones, they don't disintegrate after being on the road for two years hours. If you've already got those, welp.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I believe that's also when they went to a rack and pinion setup, did an oil change on a 99 that still had a recirculating ball. Makes the oil filter a bastard to get to on the newer cars, but the drive is much better.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

SouthLAnd posted:

Honestly, panthers are so cool, all engine swaps become cool by default.

Cadillac V8-6-4. :colbert:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Coredump posted:

Than this should be the default answer. A v8 with all that off the line torque of a positive displacement blower in a boat like the Crown Vic? Sends shivers up my spine I tell you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqhczIGh_aY

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

and it is just as bullshit in this case as it is in any other.

Says the man who owns dangerous military equipment.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sunshine Mix posted:

I have a (probably pretty dumb) question. I have an '03 Marauder with a punctured hose. I've highlighted the hose in the provided picture. What am I looking at?

PCV breather hose, vents combustion blowby (gases that push past the piston rings into the crankcase) into the intake to be re-burned. Should be a dime a dozen.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Why the gently caress are you doing 130 on underinflated tires?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

sup gang I finally joined the cool kids club

P71, 153k, pretty good nick all things considered. Brake light doesn't work, that's the only real issue (the relay for it is loud as gently caress though).

My trip meter has odometer, trip, and a third unlabeled setting that seems to display some upside down numbers, is that something to do with speedo calibration? Also is there a quick way to see what rear end this car has? Haven't been on the highway yet but it turns 1500rpm at 50 in what i think is top gear.

It was reportedly a detective's car so no holes where cruiser equipment used to be. Full dash, front bench, aftermarket cup holders beneath the factory ones, standard stereo, police map light, and of course the spotlight.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cage posted:

That thing is sweet! I have a push bar that I probably won't be using anymore if you want it. Arent you NEAI or am I thinking of someone else?

Nah I'm central FL.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Looks good, how much you end up paying for it?

Now you're gonna need tint, vent shades, and a good sun shade if you wanna keep that thing cool this summer. You can get custom sun shades on Amazon for 30 bucks (you don't want a universal trust me) and vent shades aren't expensive either. Tint will be the most costly but as you know it's pretty much a necessity down here.

Other than that, have the transmission serviced if it hasn't been done recently as it's the only real weak point of these cars. The transmissions will poo poo if neglected.

Yeah I've used universal ones in the past, they work half decent for a few weeks before the nylon edge ribbing starts disintegrating in the sun and turning to powder. Hopefully I can find a good tint person in the area for relatively cheap.

I'm wary of doing the trans, might have to schlep over to my mom's and do just a partial drain/fill initially before getting a full service w/ filter, just so the fresh detergents get introduced a bit more gradually.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Chat thread cross post:

Enourmo posted:

Oh lol

so much for "not a cruiser", check that white base coat

Unless they're all delivered white and the department sprays em?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Interior is stained but not particularly worn down. Real backseats; I was under the impression they would swap the real seats back in when they auctioned the car off. No signs of a removed barricade between front and rear, either.

I'm noticing the car doesn't seem to get as hot in the sun as the Mazda did; maybe just a lower ratio of exterior glass to cabin volume and/or exposed dash area. Either way, my window shades are out for delivery, so step 1 of heat rejection is almost complete.

Also did my first full tank, got about 19 mpg on ethanol-free gas. Incidentally, I can finally use ethanol-free (read: non-93-octane) gas; bye-bye turbo babying.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Does it have bucket seats or split bench? If it's split bench definitely not a cruiser.

Darchangel posted:

Standard rear seat on P71s is black vinyl. Matching fabric was optional. Here's another tell: do the rear doors open from the inside, and is there a lock knob? Do the power windows work from the rear door switches?
I had to go get door actuator and lock rods from another Panther, and plug the window switch harness connector back in.

Cloth seats all around, split bench front, rear inner door handles work, only the standard child lock, rear windows work from rear switches.

Guess that settles it, not a cruiser. Weird about the paint though, but at least it matches the new vent shades; phone was dead when I put em on so no pics til later.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Mine is doing that too, I'm a couple trips away from just yanking the ABS fuse.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I don't know if they still had air ride suspension that late, but if so be wary of that on any Towncar. Both the airbags and the lovely plastic air lines running to them from the pump module can get brittle and crack with age; it's a common enough issue that coil spring conversion kits are easily had.

If you have a Continental you might be familiar already, just a heads up.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah, the spring is preloaded so that at full droop there's no load on the control arm. Whole unit should come out pretty easy.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Oh jeeze, even a $50 Kenwood deck is 5x the sound quality versus the stock radio. Normally I don't care so much (which is why I had the wired FM modulator) but I had Amazon credit and decided to splurge. Even the stock speakers sound pretty good now.

Right? I posted in one of the other threads but I finally swapped my Kenwood into mine and stuff played over bluetooth sounds fantastic. I had actually thought the stock speakers were blown, but nope.

FM signal is still garbage though. I've been educated about aux antennas but meh, stations are poo poo around here anyway. That said, there was an antenna screwed onto my trunk lid when I got it, the threaded fitting is still there on the sheet metal. Removing that antenna didn't make my FM signal worse so it was probably for removed CB/cop radio equipment, but I wonder if it could be repurposed to augment the windshield-integrated one.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Huggable Bear King posted:

How do you know when it's time to move on?

When the car no longer meets your needs. Get a 200-mile daily commute? Time to get a hybrid.

That's when you put the Merc into storage and start planning your Coyote swap to make an even badder Marauder.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Any good shortcuts for doing heater cores? The 70 degree dewpoint weather lately is making it a pain in the rear end to drive around without mine, either I run a/c and fog up the outside, or I leave it off, sweat and steam up the inside.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

First off, get ye to the A/C thread for fundamentals of how to work on these systems.

For Panthers specifically, replacing the compressor itself is kinda annoying due to being on the bottom, but not too involved, provided you :airquote: properly recover the refrigerant :airquote: first. Make sure you also pick up a new accumulator since your system will be open to atmosphere. The latter is held on by quick-connect fittings which are kind of annoying to undo. Pick up a set of quick-connect tools from whatever parts store, you'll need em; technically you can finagle things with a couple screwdrivers, but the proper tool is like $10 for a set and far faster to use.

The bigger issue is, why did the compressor die? If something seized up in the pulley/shaft end, fine, but if the actual compressor section took a dump you'll have bigger problems, as that tends to send fine metal shavings ("black death") through the system, which will very quickly destroy your new one. Check the compressor discharge tube and the old accumulator lines to see if there's any nasty stuff inside. If there is, you'll need to replace the condenser (as there's no good way to flush modern multi-path parallel flow ones) and thoroughly flush all the lines, and hope nothing got past the screen on the orifice tube (which you'd also want to replace in this case just to be safe.

No matter what, you'll want to pour all the oil out of the old parts into some sort of measuring device, then thoroughly clean it. Then, pour any new oil out of the new parts into the same cup, and add additional fresh oil to make up the difference before adding it back in. Any o-rings on lines you disconnect should be replaced, and lubricated with oil before re-assembling.

After that it's vacuum and recharge time.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So my car made a funny noise, got out and found the #4 coil/boot laying up on the valve cover, and the spark plug itself wiggled when I poked it with a screwdriver. On a scale of lol to you're hosed, how likely is it that I've avoided the Modular curse, and the spark plug just happened to loosen on its own over time?

:negative:

My phone camera is lovely and dying and wouldn't focus normally, so here's an artsy silhouette (click for huge). I couldn't get the plug out the first time I pulled over, but I heard a clunk about 1000 feet down the road, pulled over again and it was resting up near the heater core ports. I don't know if it was initially like this or if that's impact damage from getting shot out, but the ground electrode looks awfully close for a plug of indeterminate mileage, and the center electrode has a weird lump on one side. I don't see any aluminum gumming up the threads, but I can't get a good angle down the plug hole to see if the threads in the head are hosed or not.

If this was the notorious thread issue, should I get inserts on all 8 cylinders or just this one?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Alright kids, time for the latest adventures of the world's least reliable Panther. Had to get a tow home last night when the car started losing speed on the highway. I pulled a VSS code, gave them my old ABS module to reinstall just in cast that being absent was causing some fuckiness with the sensor signal but no dice, still has issues. The shop is saying the trans is borked and needs a rebuild, because of loving course it does.

E: I pulled the ABS because it has never worked and I wanted to inspect it/get a part # in case I ever decide to replace it, I meant to reinstall, just didn't out of laziness. /E

How likely is it that there's just a corroded pin or the sensor's toast and the expensive bits are actually fine?

Code is a P062C, car seems fine through 1st and 2nd but has no 3rd or above.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

That's what I was told over the phone by the shop I dropped it at. At this point, I've resolved to take it home (on Monday because I hosed up and forgot the shop closes at 4 on Saturdays) and just look at it myself.

FWIW though cycling OD on and off made no difference, would not maintain speed or transmit any power above 40. Even if it's OD it should shift back to a lower gear when I gun the throttle, no? At highway speeds it was hunting but never going into any gear, whether feathering the gas or flooring it, or anywhere in between.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So I'm about to go shower and get the car from the shop to do my own diagnosis, but I just realized something. When my breakdown happened, the speedometer was still working perfectly. Yet the code was absolutely a VSS code. Could it run the speedo but still be hosed up enough to cause shifting issues?

Editing to update: on a tip from Adiabatic in the Slack channel I looked for a wiring diagram, couldn't find one, but I did find a diagnostic flowchart for shifting/throttle issues where step one for a P062c code is "inspect ABS system and wheel speed sensors for proper operation". This does several things:

1, confirms almost conclusively that this code is looking at wheel speed sensor signals, or a combined output from the ABS system, and not a discrete VSS on the transmission, if the car even has one.

2, very strongly reinforces my suspicion that yanking the ABS module like I did is probably related, and that a proper code wipe now that the shop has put it back in may be all it needs.

3, makes me think this shop doesn't really do any diagnosis at all and just shotguns the most profitable parts cannon work at it that they can. I already told the guy when he delivered the $3,000 bad news that I probably didn't have that in my budget for a car that's broken this many times in rapid succession, and he without a moment's hesitation started offering me loving store credit cards to pay for the job. I thought that was a thing at big retail store chains, not dedicated repair shops.

Anyway. Actually going to shower and get car now. Bringing my laptop so I can use the fancier Ford-based scan tool software instead of Torque Lite.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 12, 2018

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So update for the non slack crew, drove with my laptop and all speed sensors are fine, car shifts fine at all speeds but when it selects 4th gear, the gear doesn't actually lock in; engine revs and speed drops. Could a hiccuping speed signal while the abs module was out have made the clutch pack or whatever for 4th cycle super fast and wear out? It wasn't hunting or shifting weird at all during the week I had the module removed, and it was fine even 1 drive before the breakdown, just a few hours before. Seems strange that I could have a friction device go from 0 to dead in that short a time.

E: at the very least, the module is back in and there are no more codes or CELs, other than for the abs which has always been lit. So the computer, at least, thinks everything is fine.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 12, 2018

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ok so, that was on Friday night with the ABS/VSS issues. Tried again just now, and yes indeed, when I disable OD it'll stay in 3rd.

Is this pretty much a hard indicator that 4th is mechanically hosed? I keep holding out hope there's some electronic thing I've overlooked that'll magically fix everything.

As far as wiring, Wikipedia is showing that I should have a 4R75E, don't know how much that difference that would make vs the 4R70 models.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well, at least that presumably won't involve tearing into the gear stack like I feared, and hey, fresh fluid never hur- okay sometimes that can cause problems but it looks like I'm going in regardless. At least it's presumably not generating metal shavings to go into spinny bits.

Time to set up a work day, I guess.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikk56cIHL_g

Oh man this vid is gonna be a lifesaver, got links to a bunch of parts as well as torque info for the valve body.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So I had to drive my car around today and it occurred to me, does the lockup clutch engage with overdrive disabled? Am I potentially loving up my converter by driving around like that? I got paranoid and did the rest of my driving in a very burn-and-coast style to avoid cruising, am I overthinking it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Alright I've googled like i should have and it does seem like it only locks up in OD, so that's good to know.

I've never driven a car without lockup, it's really annoying waiting for the converter to load up when I go from coast/cruise to accelerating.

E: Also I've realized that if I don't do the heater core while it's down for the transmission job I will hate myself forever. Ugh.