Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The missing ' in the title was bugging me. :colbert:

I wonder how similar the front suspension on this is to, say, the Ranger? If it is, not only will rebuilding the front end help a lot, it's also easy as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, the P71 is the car you would gank those bits off of if you had a softer Panther car you wanted to firm up. Is the Marauder suspension actually any beefier than the P71?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

Did some minor poo poo today, it seems like nearly every 194 bulb in the back of my cluster and hvac was burned out

Depending on how you look at it, Ford either used the world's worst supplier of 194 bulbs for a long time (my Ranger only had two working 194s in it when I bought it, and the replacement cluster I bought seemed to be in similar shape) or these vehicles are just old enough now that it is to be expected somewhat. Given that I've had older and higher mileage vehicles with every light still working, I'm going to call it a lovely supplier.

Thankfully they're easy to get at and a box of more than you'll need is <$10.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

The ELM327 knockoffs don't talk to a lot of Ford OBD2 ECUs. In particular, earlier OBD2 models (2002 and older for sure on most models).

Yep - some do but most knockoffs won't hook up. Get a real ELM327, or at least a knockoff verified to work on an early OBD2 Ford.

Leica: If it's anything like the situation for the Ranger, anything that you can't press out yourself in the garage with a borrowed press is so cheap to buy preassembled from Rockauto that it's not worth the time to do it any other way.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Winson_Paine posted:

I am guessing the airbag system has a fuckup in it which is why the bulb burned out in the first place.

No, Ford just uses the world's cheapest shittiest bulbs in their instrument clusters. My '98 Ranger had maybe two out of eight still working when I bought it, and the tach-equipped cluster I bought to swap into it was equally bad.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Winson_Paine posted:

Holy poo poo, these prices are so much better it is not even funny. Thanks. So this guy right here then?

Yeah, my Ranger uses 194 bulbs and I'd bet Ford used them across the board.

If you're buying from Rockauto, hit up retailmenot for a 5% off code too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Heat usually works well on adhesives - try a heat gun?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GM is also the company that runs full starter solenoid current through the key switch. So, yeah.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Try farting around here? http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/universal_coil_springs.asp

A Moog 5532 has effectively the same spring rate but is 1.6" longer than the stock front spring, so that might get you a bit :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

On the one car I've ever done struts on (Mazdaspeed3), I immediately regretted not buying new mounts and upper bearings as soon as I took the old ones apart. If there's a quick strut with a good strut in it available, I'd just do that. Gets you all new parts and you don't have to gently caress with spring compressors.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's coil-per-plug (or coil-on-plug), right? Move the coil/wire around to a different cylinder and see if it follows. If not, I'd probably do a compression test next, because that's probably less work than doing the same thing with the fuel injector.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If they exist for that transmission, I highly recommend a Lubelocker.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lockup converters are sometimes looser when they aren't locked than a traditional converter. But yes, it's a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Could be a vacuum leak somewhere supplying the system. My Ranger would go floor vent if I went WOT long enough (which, being a 4cyl, was often)