Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

makomk
Jul 16, 2011

Verdugo posted:

As long as they dick you along past the 105 day limit on Amazon Payments refunds there is no recourse outside of a lawsuit.
Yeah, and the only Kickstarter I'm aware of where someone did sue is Hanfree. Didn't do the backer much good - the guy running it immediately declared bankrupcy and it doesn't look like any of the backers are going to see a cent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
A small break from awfulness.

InXile just launched their second Kickstarter. It is for a spiritual sequel of Planescape: Torment called Torment: Tides of Numenera. A lot of the people working on it are from the same team that worked on the original, which if you are familiar with old-school RPG games, is frequently cited at the very top of "Best Games Ever" lists. (After all, this is a game where one of the endings was that you could successfully will yourself out of existence.)

They also seem to be building really well on the success of previous KS projects, and this is something I think other people/companies who already successfully kickstarted something to the satisfaction of their backers can learn from. For one, the setting of Numenera is based on a 2500% successful kickstarter for a new roleplaying book by Monte Cook. This means the project draws on two pools of backers right from the outset, nostalgia-RPG crowd and the 4,658 people who backed the Numenera book.

The second is that they have an amazing award tier for $45 for which you get both a digital copy of Torment itself and Wasteland 2. I think this is a very smart move as they will be raking in a lot more funding for basically zero additional work. Wasteland 2 has already been funded and will be made anyway; this will draw in everybody who loves a good deal as well as all the people who feel they missed out by not funding Wasteland 2.

E: Also holy poo poo, soundtrack by Mark Morgan!

SaltyJesus has a new favorite as of 15:58 on Mar 6, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SaltyJesus posted:

InXile just launched their second Kickstarter. It is for a spiritual sequel of Planescape: Torment called Torment: Tides of Numenera.

They've got over a quarter of their goal and 4,000 donors already and it hasn't even been up for 24hrs, they're gonna sail it home.

In other KS news, a documentary funded via Kickstarter won an Oscar.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 16:20 on Mar 6, 2013

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

and it hasn't even been up for 24hrs

As of writing this, it has been up for exactly 1 hour and 22 minutes.

5,426 Backers
$297,850 pledged of $900,000 goal

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SaltyJesus posted:

As of writing this, it has been up for exactly 1 hour and 22 minutes.

5,426 Backers
$297,850 pledged of $900,000 goal

... and another 500 backers and $40k since your post. Daaaamn.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SaltyJesus posted:

InXile just launched their second Kickstarter. It is for a spiritual sequel of Planescape: Torment called Torment: Tides of Numenera. A lot of the people working on it are from the same team that worked on the original, which if you are familiar with old-school RPG games, is frequently cited at the very top of "Best Games Ever" lists. (After all, this is a game where one of the endings was that you could successfully will yourself out of existence.)

They also seem to be building really well on the success of previous KS projects, and this is something I think other people/companies who already successfully kickstarted something to the satisfaction of their backers can learn from. For one, the setting of Numenera is based on a 2500% successful kickstarter for a new roleplaying book by Monte Cook. This means the project draws on two pools of backers right from the outset, nostalgia-RPG crowd and the 4,658 people who backed the Numenera book.

The second is that they have an amazing award tier for $45 for which you get both a digital copy of Torment itself and Wasteland 2. I think this is a very smart move as they will be raking in a lot more funding for basically zero additional work. Wasteland 2 has already been funded and will be made anyway; this will draw in everybody who loves a good deal as well as all the people who feel they missed out by not funding Wasteland 2.

E: Also holy poo poo, soundtrack by Mark Morgan!

I really wish that they had waited under after Wasteland was released, asking for people to kickstart not one but two IneXile games sight-unseen is pretty ballsy. Especially since their last big game was the utterly forgettable Hunted: The Demon's Forge and you have to go back 2004's The Bard's Tale to find a game by them that wasn't a casual portable game.

...of SCIENCE! has a new favorite as of 17:21 on Mar 6, 2013

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I really wish that they had waited under after Wasteland was released, asking for people to kickstart not one but two IneXile games sight-unseen is pretty ballsy. Especially since their last big game was the utterly forgettable Hunted: The Demon's Forge and you have to go back 2004's The Bard's Tale to find a game by them that wasn't a casual portable game.

They have at least released a gameplay video of wasteland and it does make sense to get this stuff lined up way before your current project ships. Still, even the artists working on wasteland aren't going to have time to work on this any time soon which does make me wonder why they launched so early.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Klaus Kinski posted:

They have at least released a gameplay video of wasteland and it does make sense to get this stuff lined up way before your current project ships. Still, even the artists working on wasteland aren't going to have time to work on this any time soon which does make me wonder why they launched so early.

Brother None posted:

Skepticism is warranted. Honestly, we'd like to delay the Kickstarter to after Wasteland 2 is out and settled and we know what kind of reception it's got, we'd like to do that, but from our perspective it's not all that feasible. We've got writers, Kevin Saunders, concept artists, people working at inXile know who don't work on Wasteland 2 (at least, not much) and whose work can't be paid out of WL2's budget because all of WL2's budget goes to WL2 (naturally). We're not big enough to self-fund the pre-production of this game, but we don't want to fire all these people and then just hope they're still there when we roll into the new production. Not to mention we'd then create another pre-production period after Wasteland 2 where our programmers would have nothing to do. Starting pre-production now and rolling over when WL2 is out, patched and modkitted up creates the most natural workflow, and will prevent unnecessary delays and firings.

That's our perspective, which I hope you can understand. Of course, developer-end perspective is not the same as consumer-end, and you have every reason to be skeptical. As long as you get why we're doing it, I guess.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
Would be neat if they successfully fund and create both games, and they're both ~amazing and great. Then they'll just enter this continuous circle of crowd funding as a permanent source of income to supplement games, since people know they're good on their word.

~~~THE FUTURE!!!

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007

makomk posted:

Yeah, and the only Kickstarter I'm aware of where someone did sue is Hanfree. Didn't do the backer much good - the guy running it immediately declared bankrupcy and it doesn't look like any of the backers are going to see a cent.

Yeah, I'm not sure I see the point of a lawsuit in that case. That's a great way to ensure that neither you nor anyone else will ever see the product. Unless it was really that far gone that it was the only choice.

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007

... and another 500 backers and $40k since your post. Daaaamn.

Now past their goal of $900,000, currently at $976,865.

I think this might be the fastest growing KS ever. Trending towards $31 million. http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/#chart-daily

SovietSpyGuy has a new favorite as of 22:23 on Mar 6, 2013

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SovietSpyGuy posted:

Now past their goal of $900,000, currently at $976,865.

I think this might be the fastest growing KS ever. Trending towards $31 million. http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/#chart-daily

I know they probably won't reach $31 million but holy poo poo.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Young Freud posted:

Yeah it's maybe worth a laugh but otherwise a linear extrapolation of the funding curve is valueless.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Young Freud posted:

I'll never understand who would pledge $5 not get anything. All you get is an epub of the game manual?

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'll never understand who would pledge $5 not get anything. All you get is an epub of the game manual?
Someone who is currently broke but would love to see the game get made.

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007
Since lawsuits have been brought up, I wonder how successful a lawsuit would be?

I mean, you might not get the product or the product sucks, but that's a risk that you as a backer take on Kickstarter. Unless there was some sort of gross negligence or you simply take the money and run, what basis is there for a lawsuit? If people get too lawsuit happy it could certainly cripple Kickstarter a bit. Imagine if a project raises $2 million, and the resulting product is crap. That sucks, but that's how it goes sometime. Getting sued for that money that you've already spent making an unfortunately sub-par product seems almost cruel.

Rinkles posted:

Yeah it's maybe worth a laugh but otherwise a linear extrapolation of the funding curve is valueless.

True but it's still fun to look at. Over a million dollars in half a day, jesus christ.

SovietSpyGuy has a new favorite as of 23:15 on Mar 6, 2013

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007
Whoops.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Oral Slither posted:

Someone who is currently broke but would love to see the game get made.

I have no money so I'll spend five dollars to buy nothing with the promise of getting nothing in the future. Gotcha.

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I have no money so I'll spend five dollars to buy nothing with the promise of getting nothing in the future. Gotcha.

Why do you hate America?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Kickstarter isn't a preorder service, it's a "yeah i like this idea, I'll give you 5 bucks maybe" service.

There is also no promise of getting anything in the future even if you pledge $10,000

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rinkles posted:

They've been making noises that the Torment successor was the next thing in the pipe, so their core audience is pretty primed. This one is going to be fast off the mark.

Count me among those who would have liked to see more progress on Wasteland 2 before this went up. They've got a video of an engine that works, but not much else. And I'm a *massive* PS:T fan, if I had solid evidence I'd be in there with one of the more expensive tiers, but as it is I grabbed a cheap $20 slot and we'll see what develops.

However, I don't think the fast that InXile has been making cheap portable games counts that much against them. I have two friends who work for a kids-and-casual focused developer, who I would absolutely trust to do something bigger. But they gotta work with the budget and contracts they get.

(I wish one of their stretch goals could be to get DiTerlizzi to do a cover or other big illustration for the game, but I doubt he'd want to.)

SovietSpyGuy posted:

what basis is there for a lawsuit?
Since when do you need basis for a lawsuit in America? If the product sucks you can sue. If they run with the money you can sue. If the Ouya delivers but you're crazy and think it should come with Minecraft and AAA games you can sue.

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007

Klyith posted:

Since when do you need basis for a lawsuit in America? If the product sucks you can sue. If they run with the money you can sue. If the Ouya delivers but you're crazy and think it should come with Minecraft and AAA games you can sue.

True, I was referring more to the chances of a successful lawsuit.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
^^^^^It's not about if the suit will be successful -- it's if it's worth the time and money going to litigation as opposed to refunding some pledges.

Alan Smithee posted:

Which project if you don't mind me asking

It's a major project that will succeed but I am dissatisfied with the direction they're going, and the project as it stands is materially different from the project I pledged towards. I was told politely at least I was getting something and to gently caress off. They definitely have the funding to cancel my pledge and give me a refund, they're just choosing not to. It funded way before Kickstarter got into the 'Estimated Delivery' and TOS revision which made it more clear how kickstarter works.

There's really no recourse since it's out of the period of Amazon Payments and my bank's chargeback period, and it's a waste of time to pursue other avenues. They waited until after all those chargeback periods ran out to make changes. Who's going to file over less than $20? Part of me wishes I had the free time to be a giant rear end about it for the principle of the thing.

I am a massive PS Torment fan too, I'm not backing the Kickstarter though. I'm just going to wait and buy it at retail.

Verdugo has a new favorite as of 00:46 on Mar 7, 2013

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I put in 1-5 dollars always. That's mostly so I get emailed updates, and know how the KS is going. When it's a day or two from finishing, I'll put in the amount I know I can spare. It's the same reason I cancel any monthly subscription so I can manually charge the credit card the next month, so I can account for everything I spend and when. Just a personal preference.

makomk
Jul 16, 2011

SovietSpyGuy posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure I see the point of a lawsuit in that case. That's a great way to ensure that neither you nor anyone else will ever see the product. Unless it was really that far gone that it was the only choice.
Hanfree was that far gone that it was the only choice - the person running it had said he wasn't going to be able to make the product and claimed he didn't have enough money to refund anyone either.

Also, wow, if I'm not mistaken Torment: Tides of Numenera is going to have the biggest first day of funding out of all the video games Kickstarters so far.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The main reason to pledge $1 or $5 is so you can make comments and receive updates. You can always amend your pledge later if you go for a level, and it's incredibly unlikely that you won't be able to cancel in the last 24 hours because the project funding will fail without you.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Its about getting the joy of seeing something you think should exist come into creation.

Edit: Same reason to knock up a married friend's wife, you don't get anything and your family name dies with you, but you made it happen.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

makomk posted:

Just to clear this up in this thread (this was posted in the last thread):

This article posted:

All I was asking for (and the other backer who joined me) was our refunds. All we were asking for was our $70 refunds. So, my claim for $70 is not what bankrupted Seth Quest.
What bankrupted him was $35,000 that he owed to 400-plus people, and I learned through the bankruptcy papers that we all got after he declared that he was also being sued by at least one of his other credit card companies. He was facing multiple liabilities and I guess he had no way of paying it back and that’s why he decided to declare bankruptcy

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Wanted to get everybody's thoughts on this one:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/springboard/emperors-new-clothes?ref=category

I personally think it's a great concept as an artistic expression... but really wonder who would want to buy this.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I thought they were actually gonna sell "air clothes" ala the New Black

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

zandert33 posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/springboard/emperors-new-clothes?ref=category

I personally think it's a great concept as an artistic expression... but really wonder who would want to buy this.

This is an awesome 'project'. The straight delivery is god drat hilarious.

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)
Presenting "Civitas", a game that totally has curved roads: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1584821767/civitas-plan-develop-and-manage-the-city-of-your-d?ref=category
This one might not be as all-out awful as your run-of-the-mill furry genderbender deviantart-tier anime VN, I just find it... well, completely deplorable.

Basically, this dude and his anonymous "ragtag team of AAA developers [insert various franchises here]" wants to make a better SimCity.
So far, so good - it's just that his platform seems to be entirely "We're not EA, EA, ruined Sim City, EA did X, Y, Z, EA EA EA". It's even in the updates. The screenshots look skeevy as hell, the pitch reads like a bad gaming forum post.

It might just be my intuition, but backing this doesn't really seem like a sensible idea to me.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Haha, that's pretty clearly a load of bullshit. No video, no links to a website, no links to a community. And yet they got $13,550 in the pot.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Maluco Marinero posted:

Haha, that's pretty clearly a load of bullshit. No video, no links to a website, no links to a community. And yet they got $13,550 in the pot.

They've only raised 5% of their goal in five days so I don't think that $13,550 will be going anywhere.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

They've only raised 5% of their goal in five days so I don't think that $13,550 will be going anywhere.

Oh yeah, I'm aware of that, It's more that that many people bought into it in the first place. They can't all be joke pledges surely?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Maluco Marinero posted:

Oh yeah, I'm aware of that, It's more that that many people bought into it in the first place. They can't all be joke pledges surely?

Custom-modding an entire city and then destroying it with a natural disaster sounds fun, I guess? :shrug: The game almost sounds like a cross between SimCity and Minecraft so that'll float a bunch of people's boats.

Edit: I'm not trying to defend that terrible pitch, just to understand why people pledged.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 12:13 on Mar 7, 2013

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

zandert33 posted:

I think it's fantastic. And with over 3/4 of the funding raised and 25 days to go it might actually see print*.

For most people it will just be a conversation piece but I can see people actually "playing" it too, ala Mornington Crescent http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mornington_Crescent_(game)

*"print"

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Fatkraken posted:

I think it's fantastic. And with over 3/4 of the funding raised and 25 days to go it might actually see print*.

This is great. I want to suggest a tier for print-and-play, but at what amount?

makomk
Jul 16, 2011

zandert33 posted:

Ahahahah, that's both brilliant and hilarious. The videos are worth watching too - I particularly like the one where they explain their Regulated Operator Optical Screening printing technique (or ROOS for short).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

miguelito posted:

Presenting "Civitas", a game that totally has curved roads: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1584821767/civitas-plan-develop-and-manage-the-city-of-your-d?ref=category
This one might not be as all-out awful as your run-of-the-mill furry genderbender deviantart-tier anime VN, I just find it... well, completely deplorable.

Basically, this dude and his anonymous "ragtag team of AAA developers [insert various franchises here]" wants to make a better SimCity.
So far, so good - it's just that his platform seems to be entirely "We're not EA, EA, ruined Sim City, EA did X, Y, Z, EA EA EA". It's even in the updates. The screenshots look skeevy as hell, the pitch reads like a bad gaming forum post.

It might just be my intuition, but backing this doesn't really seem like a sensible idea to me.

Here's a quote I thought was pretty telling that they have no clue what they are doing..

quote:

You ask how we plan to beat the features of a AAA game with only a 250k budget. Simple, we don't plan to beat ALL of their features. We are not cloning their game. We are leaving out a lot of the things that we don't see as being necessary, such as the DRM and reliance on internet only play. When you strip all of that unnecessary stuff away, you will be amazed at what even a small determined dev team can accomplish. Will we be making a game in the same genre, but of our design with major input from you guys.

Yes, if you just take out all that DRM and always on internet stuff, that shrinks the budget waaaaaay down. I mean like, I am sure Sim City 2013 would have only cost EA 250k had they done that.
I can't find solid numbers, but I doubt even the original SimCity was that cheap to make.