Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Volume posted:

Something I've always wondered about this; is there any accountability? If the person getting the money cuts and runs with it all is there anything anyone can do? I would imagine Kickstarter has something in their T.O.S that says "Screw you, we're not held liable" to protect themselves.

As someone who is fighting Kickstarter, Amazon, Paypal, and a "developer" for a refund, there's nothing. Kickstarter has it in their TOS that a developer needs to provide a product or a refund, but that's it, and a TOS isn't legally enforceable anyway. So if a developer decides that you don't deserve a refund, you don't get one, and if they cut and run, you're out the cash. As long as they dick you along past the 105 day limit on Amazon Payments refunds there is no recourse outside of a lawsuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
^^^^^It's not about if the suit will be successful -- it's if it's worth the time and money going to litigation as opposed to refunding some pledges.

Alan Smithee posted:

Which project if you don't mind me asking

It's a major project that will succeed but I am dissatisfied with the direction they're going, and the project as it stands is materially different from the project I pledged towards. I was told politely at least I was getting something and to gently caress off. They definitely have the funding to cancel my pledge and give me a refund, they're just choosing not to. It funded way before Kickstarter got into the 'Estimated Delivery' and TOS revision which made it more clear how kickstarter works.

There's really no recourse since it's out of the period of Amazon Payments and my bank's chargeback period, and it's a waste of time to pursue other avenues. They waited until after all those chargeback periods ran out to make changes. Who's going to file over less than $20? Part of me wishes I had the free time to be a giant rear end about it for the principle of the thing.

I am a massive PS Torment fan too, I'm not backing the Kickstarter though. I'm just going to wait and buy it at retail.

Verdugo has a new favorite as of 00:46 on Mar 7, 2013

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Please do this, I miss the Awful Kickstarters thread.

Already locked. Probably a record at this point.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

SovietSpyGuy posted:

^^^ What he said.

I don't care about any of what she says, what "shrapnel" from a car accident causes heavy metal poisoning? There's no lead or mercury in a car. And very little tungsten, if any. So...what?

Pieces of the Mastodon CD from the front seat. :v:

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Rapdawg posted:

Can someone explain to me why Kickjacking is bad? Not being snarky, I really don't know much about the situation. I'm hoping to get my Kickstarter up in June and have done a lot of reaserch, but I also value to words of a Goon.

It's not. If someone contributes to get the project funded, who cares if it's one big donation or an influx of money by the developers?

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Elysiume posted:

It sounds like after the Kickstarter was done they looked at the list of features they wanted and decided that they hadn't gotten enough money to bankroll whatever systems. I'm making assumptions on the chronology as I haven't followed that project at all.

The hairbrained schemes folks have been very disengenuous about the project's direction. I would not be surprised if they knew this (and the licensing issue) from day one, and just decided to omit it from the original kickstarter.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

cool biRd pics posted:

For what it's worth. This just ended unsuccessfully. $710 of a $3000 goal.

honestly kind of wonder if the arabic actually translates

If anyone answered, I didn't see it. The Good Idea Fairy is military slang -- she whispers into the ear of Military Brass causing them to make stupid decisions which wastes money and man hours. I can attest that she works for federal civil service too. The idea of a Good Idea Djinn working for the other side is a little funny too.

Blue Falcon is more military slang which stands for the one jerk that drags everyone else in the unit down and gets them into trouble.

It's actually a funny idea executed horribly (like so many things on kickstarter).

It doesn't help that the guy's comic site is painfully unfunny and racist too.

Verdugo has a new favorite as of 23:53 on May 24, 2013

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

Ugh. That's pretty much exactly what that tool wants, more publicity. He asked a Jezebel author to call him out when he started the Kickstarter.

Not that the media shouldn't write about it, but the unfortunate side effect is he'll get more exposure and draw in more money from MRAs and the like.

And she played exactly into his hands. She would have been better served not reporting on it at all.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

No, pro-sexual-assault views should be targets of disdain. This kind of news coverage pushes those views further and further out of the mainstream, and maybe one day Kickstarter wouldn't dare let someone use its platform to advance those views.

But unfortunately, on the way to that progress, this dude is gonna make a lot of money selling books and seminars to like-minded people.

Gawker Media is an entertainment site, not a news site. It only serves to drive business for this guy.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Welp, I was wrong:

I guess when CNN starts reporting that you made it possible for a rape guide to get published it's a little hard to shrug it off. It sucks that the funding went through but I'm glad they decided to publicly admit that project was hosed up.

Reports from creators say it takes several weeks to get paid from Kickstarter, so I think they're not being entirely honest in their apology. They're doing it after the fact, so they get their cut, and hope it blows over. This way they get their money and look good. The damage has already been done.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Drunk Tomato posted:

What exactly is your point? It brought wide attention to the issue before "news sites" did, but it doesn't count because it's "entertainment"? Who cares?

My point is [and I said it pretty clearly in my original post] that all this posting served to do was bring attention to the book, and drive the guy's sales numbers. The creator WANTED negative coverage in Jezebel to help drive sales, to the point of harassing the writer, and they did it for him. She only wrote the entertainment piece because she was pissed off (or a willing collaborator).

Are all entertainment bloggers news sources? They'd love to think so, I'm sure, but they aren't.

PostNouveau posted:

Everyone should call out abhorrent views when they see them. News, entertainment, whatever, the author kicked off a shitstorm that got Kickstarter to publicly reject PUAs. The guy in question will likely benefit from the attention, but Kickstarter (and probably a lot of other sites who saw this happen) won't put up with his bullshit anymore.

Pickup artists and seddit and other reprehensible bullshit has existed for ages before this kickstarter, with similar outrage and then nothing. Once the media storm blows over, it's going to lapse back into disinterest.

Sites have put up with this bullshit for years, and "reporting" on it hasn't made one iota of difference. All it serves in the long run is putting money in these slimeballs' pockets.

Verdugo has a new favorite as of 19:05 on Jun 21, 2013

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

JossiRossi posted:

Because the past has never changed, why would the future? That's the point you are making and I hope that putting it into plain words shows you how dumb it is.

I do not like thing, so we should run all sorts of infotainment articles about it, so people get mad, and so the thing gets even more publicity and makes the creator extra money, and it will have no net effect in the long run. I hope that putting that into plain words shows you how dumb it is after you drop your SJW pretense about this whole thing.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

prahanormal posted:

Did you forget the part where this guy has this incident following him forever, kickstarter has changed its policies to not allow seduction guides, and the money they're donating to charity?

No but nobody should have reported it because one rear end in a top hat might get more money. :rolleye:

E: f. b. Sortof.

The guy doesn't CARE that he has the incident following him, he himself told Jezebel about it and wanted them to cover it with an angry article. Kickstarter changed its policies, but he doesn't care, because they let him through. And they are allegedly donating money to charity because of the backlash. So yay, they raised 25k for a rapist scumbag pickup artist, but they are giving 25k to charity TOO so it's ok!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I always dislike this argument. Yea every oh so edgy idiot who doesn't grasp that there's good and bad attention loves it when someone writes an article saying 'this guy's a huge rear end in a top hat', so what? A good article showing how lovely this book is could help others see 'oh yea this is a horrible way to view women'.

This loser subscribes to the "no such thing as bad publicity" angle, and it worked for him. Is there really a need to raise consciousness that "rape is wrong, pickup techniques are slimy?" Because people know that already. So it did absolutely nothing in the long run.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

DStecks posted:

What part of "nobody will ever, eveeeeer be able to make a PUA kickstarter again" can't you understand? Or "We donated $25,000" to charity? How is that nothing?

One guy got his money. The coverage didn't change that. But there's more to the story than that, which you are being deliberately ignorant of.

Please read my previous post, and understand it before you give a knee jerk Social Justice Warrior reply.

"The guy doesn't CARE that he has the incident following him, he himself told Jezebel about it and wanted them to cover it with an angry article. Kickstarter changed its policies, but he doesn't care, because they let him through. And they are allegedly donating money to charity because of the backlash. So yay, they raised 25k for a rapist scumbag pickup artist, but they are giving 25k to charity TOO so it's ok!"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yup, Mike Pondsmith retooled Mekton Zeta and turned it into the RPG he always wanted it to be:

Come on Megas XLR RPG Kickstarter!

It's funny how they suspended the tentacle kickstarter (both of them) quickly but let the PUA manual run its full course before recanting it.

Verdugo has a new favorite as of 04:22 on Jul 16, 2013

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

miguelito posted:

So reading that woman's pitch, it seems to be a common thing for a certain type of Americans to clamber over that mountain in Turkey searching for Noah's Ark. You learn something new every day I guess. Surely the mountain is well-mapped and she'll be shown around by local guides, right?

Makes me think, wouldn't they have found it already then?

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

OrganizedInsanity posted:

That's crazy though. Apparantly Cryptozoic Entertainment and the original creators are going to release the game to all backers for free. How much does it cost to start a business though? I thought it was at most maybe 10k including lawyer fees, that still leaves you a generous 70k for the game and game alone when you factor in kickstarter's cut and rewards

Seeing how the game was supposed to be able to be produced for $35k, this is a scam through and through. He's playing the victim card pretty hard - claiming that an investigation would limit him in being able to process refunds.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Marketing New Brain posted:

The guy's name is Patrick FitzPatrick, I imagine a lot of childhood teasing has lead up to this. Also is the design intentionally supposed to make me think of giant drinkable dreidels?

I thought it was Patrick Fitzmichael and his partner, Michael Fitzpatrick. :v:

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

pathetic little tramp posted:

I'm not too excited on his "unique twist," but those look really gorgeous I have to say. Plus one of the rewards is a stripper deck; that's really cool, because stripper decks usually look so obvious - nobody would expect this custom deck to be one.

Here I am thinking it was stuff like Ulysses S Grant in pasties, and it's actually for magic tricks. How disappointing.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
This is four hours from my house, but I'm in for $10.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
So it looks like he posted a facebook update. Good on him.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

I can't wait for the microhotdog that comes with an iPhone port.

Claude should do "Artisnal" Southern Style hot dogs, just like how the Get Your War On dude decided to go into Artisnal Pencil Sharpening. Keep making the same thing, brand it as Artisnal, make a killing.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

Has anyone seen the Star Trek Continues fan series? Fans doing something with respect to the show is cool, but some of the rewards are just crazy, especially since a lot of them are stand alone tiers. Wanna talk Skype talk a actress who's best known from another fan project? 1,000 dollars. And since were feeling generous, we'll throw in a cast memeber of your choice following you on twitter. For one year.

Wow. Grant Imahara from Mythbusters is Mr. Sulu. Mythbusters must not be paying the bills.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

fondue posted:

Am I a bad person for briefly sifting through Ali baba seeing what could be rebranded and dropped shipped for a kick starter or indiegogo campaign?

This dude did it, selling 85 cent fountain pens for $50.00 (discounted from $85).

https://medium.com/the-magazine/blurred-visionnaire-cbb0bc2869a

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Wouldn't scanning in your own minis in be how they dodge IP complaints? The creators could just ay they don't officially endorse people scanning GW minis into their game, but then totally allow it to happen.

The example shown in the youtube video is a scanned mummy from the GW line, so I don't think they thought that part through.