Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
A small break from awfulness.

InXile just launched their second Kickstarter. It is for a spiritual sequel of Planescape: Torment called Torment: Tides of Numenera. A lot of the people working on it are from the same team that worked on the original, which if you are familiar with old-school RPG games, is frequently cited at the very top of "Best Games Ever" lists. (After all, this is a game where one of the endings was that you could successfully will yourself out of existence.)

They also seem to be building really well on the success of previous KS projects, and this is something I think other people/companies who already successfully kickstarted something to the satisfaction of their backers can learn from. For one, the setting of Numenera is based on a 2500% successful kickstarter for a new roleplaying book by Monte Cook. This means the project draws on two pools of backers right from the outset, nostalgia-RPG crowd and the 4,658 people who backed the Numenera book.

The second is that they have an amazing award tier for $45 for which you get both a digital copy of Torment itself and Wasteland 2. I think this is a very smart move as they will be raking in a lot more funding for basically zero additional work. Wasteland 2 has already been funded and will be made anyway; this will draw in everybody who loves a good deal as well as all the people who feel they missed out by not funding Wasteland 2.

E: Also holy poo poo, soundtrack by Mark Morgan!

SaltyJesus has a new favorite as of 15:58 on Mar 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

and it hasn't even been up for 24hrs

As of writing this, it has been up for exactly 1 hour and 22 minutes.

5,426 Backers
$297,850 pledged of $900,000 goal

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
The guy kickstarting graph paper is the lowest of the low. What is his target audience, I'm genuinely curious? Everybody who does table top RPGs or otherwise needs graphing paper already knows about it. It's so terrible that a better angle for pitching this would have been to word-salad some design buzzwords (golden ratio of length to width, optimal number of squares for tesselation, grid lines precisely 0.345 mm thick to provide optimal gaming experience) to appeal to the snob crowd. At least it's nice to see that his D&D group and parents chipped in so a £150 project doesn't fail.

I'm pretty excited about The Reward series, I saw the short when it came out and I loved it. I hope it gets funded.
Bonus: The Reward was a part of Bachelor Films 2013 (third year student project at the Character Animation and Computer Grafic Art), you can see the rest of the animations from 2007 through to 2013 here. My favorites are The Backwater Gospel and The Sage of Biorn so if you like this kind of animation shorts check them out.

Just a reminder: Dreamfall Chapters, sequel to The Longest Journey, has 32 hours left to go as of writing this. The project has been funded completely, but if you forgot to chip in now would be the time to do it. It would be nice to reach the 1,500,000 "Director's Cut" stretch goal which will include a lot of new content.

They recently updated with a trailer showing various bits of nice looking (alpha, I guess) game footage, kickstarter video bloopers and other stuff, go take a look.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

I'll use my amazing powers of knowing shitheads like this to translate that for you.

"The feeeemale will use her emotions to divine that you never spoke to one of her kind before. Instead of, Dawkins forbid, improving your conversational skills here's how to fake confidence."