Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Continuing on from the last thread.

Kickstarter and Indigogo are crowdsourced funding platforms where you can pitch your fine business ideas and in the case of Indigogo, noble causes. This thread is for the terrible ones. The scams, the cons, the ridiculous and those too shameful to present to your bank manager without explaining what tentacle monsters are.

So without further ado, let's pick up where we left off with this remarkable answer to mass shootings:

Cockmaster posted:

These people think they can put a stop to mass shootings by designing a rifle that won't fire when it's in a public place. Apparently, they also think they can get people to give them money when they haven't addressed any of the obvious complications with relying on a technological solution of that nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Rapdawg posted:

Man, thats really sad that the creator has basically suffered a mental breakdown.
Actually the "sun told me to" lady's brain was broken long before kickstarter. In fact I checked the DeviantArt account linked on her profile last week and it showed her having a history of flaking out on her promises to provide stuff after being paid. The posts and her cosmic excuses have been deleted now but in one hilarious case she told someone she wouldn't be making them the fantasy designed walking stick they paid her for. She/her imaginary friends/UV rays decided that was flaunting their disability and they should go gently caress themselves.

Now there's a lot of people out of pocket due to Katalyka but they made a lousy investment. If you see a business venture attached to a topless photo of a gawky looking sperglord and think "this person is bound to be trustworthy and have good business acumen" then you honestly are better off without the money.

Its pretty easy to guess the correlation betwen a person's proximity to fantasy worlds of their own design and the chances of them having their poo poo together but here's a chart and her location on that chart.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
These are like easy-bake ovens for nanowrimo people.

You can't type like this! Or this! Or this!

wit
Jul 26, 2011

You've already bought one haven't you?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

"No, it's a common word! Just ignore the fact that we're mostly ex-S.T.A.L.K.E.R. developers and we write the name of the game as STALKER and the logo of the game says S.T.A.L.K.E.R.!"

Hey, isn't this the exact same nerr-nerr-same-word-slight-difference-you-can't-catch-me bullshit that gets freeman tasered outside courtrooms? :allears:

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm so glad to hear that the creator behind the project is a smug insecure idiot. I'll be cheering in a few days when the project fails.

(If it somehow succeeds at the last minute I'll be pissed off.)

All of her previous stuff seems to be half art half design so if it fails at one, its probably the other. I don't think the creator is insecure so much as really used to being called a genius. If your product is art, its beyond scrutiny (but not above crowd-funder panhandling).

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Sorry, I missed the actual quote:

quote:

I am the creator of the Minimal Nativity Set. According to my stats you help the campaign. People following your trash blog actually understand the concept of the piece (obviously cleverer people than you) bought sets. Use yr brain 2 seconds to get that the project is about colours and therefore races. It has a deep meaning. But probably hard to understand for you as you probably just want to eat donuts and watch poo poo tv. what have you done with your life so far? reply emilie.voirinatgmaildotcom
That's loving amazing actually. I too want to see it succeed if only to hear her call annoyed people without the wooden blocks she promised either racists or owners of negative space too dumb to get it.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

quote:

To make the game that realistic I need to do a lot of interviews and physical tests with real soldiers, who have been in actual wars, and know what it's really like out there.
Physical tests? What like give a paraplegic vet a rifle and see how fast he hops the 100m?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

I'm sorry, you're looking for the Awesome Kickstarters thread. :colbert: Its worth noting that you have to pledge $300 to even get one of these things. This totally could have just been an etsy project, its totally not a kickstarter, they're using the site as their store page. They've already sold to the 100 or so people on earth who want them and it'll never be something they ever have to make in bulk. I would totally pet a discodog.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

quote:

In time we plan to set up international warehouses to make shipping cheap for all.
Imagine a world so hosed up that nappies for assholes who get sexually excited by making GBS threads themselves while dressed as incontinent cartoon dog children require international shipping magnates such as Zachary Zinn to deal with the burgeoning worldwide demand. Printouts of this business pitch are how ISIS get volunteers to drive car bombs into busy streets.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Wedemeyer posted:

The face of a vampire who's going to stir some corn syrup for you.

I’m a vampire, and I breathe clouds.

This guy's strange face shape is very similar to another "internet famous" vampire who got trolled hard a few years back due to his post event psychic predictions (he'd see things that happened in the world then say he predicted them and totally made them happen). Possibly not the guy in question, but if phrenology is a dependable science (and it is) this guy has the correct skull dimension of a loving lunatic vampire. :suspense:

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

:allears:

The product and kickstarter are all kinds of dumb, but that video is a piece of art.
In fairness if you're the kind of person who walks around wearing a bow tie it might as well be ridiculous like this, its not like its going to reduce the vast swathes of women crawling over each other to get with bowtie man.

Not pictured: Anyone who has ever been to a an actual club other than chess club in high school.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Autechresaint posted:

I am the carefully placed camera that makes sure to never show the whole device on the wrist in the shot.

I've a sneaking suspicion the reason it can create dark is because the prototype is a loving huge wrist mounted obelisk that doubles as a sundial.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Noyemi K posted:

Reputation hit, I imagine :shrug:

Exactly, the skim from $4mill is next to nothing for KS, but it would show that they wilfully let a snakeoil seller who had been called out pretty exhaustively by geeky neckbeards (the target demographic of these razors I'd assume) continue. If they were seen as a platform for letting blatant, intelligence insulting scams go unchecked the existing model of "pay this idiot and hope he learns business by the time they get to shipping" would come under massive scrutiny too. Nobody really wants to hear about kickstarter success stories, but boy does the world love a dramatic gently caress up.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

quote:

You like Beyoncé, right?

Fierce is a virtual Beyoncé for your iPhone to help you say no to the haters.
Hey kids, you like the skateboards, right?
Fierce lets you jazz around on a skateboard against hate, go go power rangers!
Hey kids, you like pokemon, right?
Fierce is the pokemon of saying no to haters.
Memes?
Fierce is that chuck norris guy, for haters.

Da------d, stop marketing apps.

e: also of the as of now $40 donations, I bet it was a troll who wanted a mask, just to troll this.

wit has a new favorite as of 23:33 on Oct 14, 2015

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

There is a difference between a scam and a bad product (Ouya) and star citizens problems came well after their kick starter campaign ended.

Precisely this with the exhibits A and B you just gave. This is why I find Kickstarter loving fascinating. Its the hype and bad idea zone, but couldn't exist if it were just letting outright made-up bullshit happen. To get their cut they have to vet business ventures and decide if they're infeasible or blatantly abusing the model. A failed dipshit business that never got off the ground because you gave some deviant art guy a tonne of money but he has no idea how to conduct business is one thing. A wanker pretending to go through the motions of failure in a carefully contrived "The Producers" failure model like is another.

If you think about it, would you want to mod KS? That's a loving tightrope walk.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Noyemi K posted:

So is it bad because of breasts being in it, or is it actually bad because of poor writing.

Was wondering this myself. Well, not caring but largely missing the "Awful Kickstarter" part of it. Seems more like a patreon job for the guy, but I guess if the model is working well for him why switch over?

In other news, the horrible jerk that started this thread has a terrible OP and its 350+ pages in. If anyone wants to give a hand make a good digest of the story so far - or better yet - draft their version of the OP and send it via PM, it would be appreciated, appended and you might even get your name with thanks, in bold.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Alternate use for this material: Sex offenders must wear trousers made of it when walking through parks to give hi-vis alerts of their inappropriate erections. It'd make their dicks like one of those magic swords from lord of the rings; glows blue when kids are near.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
:siren:2016, Time for a new thread. PM me if you want to make the next one. Only qualifications are: can write an actual OP unlike me, likes kickstarter failures, isn't a shitposter.:siren:

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah okay the odds of this being a scam from the start have shot through the roof.

That or its some kind of insane performance theater. What the gently caress.

Dude says he was under duress now, lol so this was like some kind of al qaeda hostage video for nerds. The lines were so badly spoken, I'd say they'd both have a good chance of lawyering up and putting the whole scam down as performance art on the dangers of awful kickstarters.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Please, PLEASE tell me this is a parody. Please.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

After The War posted:

:350:: Hey, did you ever wonder why they're called "pants"? What if you only had, like... one pant?
:cocaine: We'll make millions!
:drugnerd: We'll call it... the Pant-Alone!
Aren't these zippicamiknicks from Brave New World? Also, I don't care if two out of the five people in it are black:

This is still whitepeople.gif

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

I like how people are continuing to respond to this kickstarter like its a real thing.

It's literally run by comedians.
Did not know or notice, you got me. I don't pick apart many of the things in this thread because its exhausting to watch every video. Jokes on us we mocked when we should have frowned because comedians made something exactly on par with the hundreds of kickstarters we wade through? I'll never understand landover baptist style humour except as a way to go "psyche! I was method acting a retard and you laughed at me instead of with me this time!"

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Germstore posted:

You want to know what it takes to fund a kickstarter? It takes copper balls to fund a kickstarter. Go and do likewise gents. Money's out there. You pick it up, it's yours. You don't, I got no sympathy for you.
This jpeg of a spaceship costs more than your car. You see pal, thats who I am. A! Always! B! Be! C! Crowdfunding!

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, there are plastic kids / trainer chopsticks with similar gripping notches.

You don't understand man, they're made from advanced engineering material!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwdxIUeMrSM&t=152s

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Tippis posted:

I, for one, am glad to see the outdated technology of two sticks working kind of like extended fingers being replaced by the hyper-modern technology of two sticks working kind of like extended fingers with thimbles at the end.

…also, wouldn't hexagonal gripping part and round end make them more prone to suddenly spin around and send the food flying compared to the smooth gripping part with a solid square end (or just more uniformly square shape)?

Nah, it works for pencils, that part is probably fine (so does being round). They certainly don't solve the problem of people who don't know how to use chopsticks, but they sure solved an imaginary one: people who can use chopsticks can't use chopsticks. So here are some training wheels for the bike you can already ride.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Great Rumbler posted:

As it turns out, these guys already got beat to market by General Mills, of all things:

And the GM version even includes a built-in cereal bowl. :laffo:

Installing a feeding trough on a lazy bastard device for people who can still be bothered standing makes these look like a starter kit for those fatty scooters.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

It's the future

Used to work in a supermarket, literally watched a guy drive around it eating food, opening the crisps and sandwiches and mars bar multipacks and eating out of his basket like it was his lunchbox as he sped around the store. Followed him up to the registers, he slings them the wrappers so they can swipe the now greasy plastic of empty wrappers and charge him. I did not mind parents doing that occasionally just to stop a toddler having a fit on the floor, but when you see a fat middle aged man do it, eugh.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

lorn Wayne posted:

Sure are some...interesting gifs on that page.
Its like a diaperfur swiss army knife. If you buy this, amazon will start recommending you those dragon dildos that squirt pretend jizz.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

hey you called the teenager sexy not me
I'm sure you're a cool guy but shut your stupid whore mouth about anime. If there was a kickstarter for weaboo shock collars that were triggered by not shutting the gently caress up about anime, it would be the first and only one I'd fund.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

"Back in 2012, Kickstarter helped us launch ATHEIST Shoes: handmade, super comfy, minimalist, retro sneakers, with the words "ICH BIN ATHEIST" on the soles."

I hope that stupid woman years ago who cut a backwards B for obama in her face and said the evil blacks did it makes a comeback and hits herself in the face with these repeatedly. Its the only valid function of this device.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Jesus loving making GBS threads christ, I'm dying here. Its like shrek and some crack whores. What the christ? Good find man, I'm in hysterics!

e: I can't. stop. loving. laughing.
e2: 10 minutes later tears still tripping me, I have honestly had the longest laugh at a bad kickstarter ever. I wish them well. This just made my week.

wit has a new favorite as of 22:37 on Jun 4, 2016

wit
Jul 26, 2011
I like the idea that he has tonnes of tshirts already printed out and will spend the rest of his life trying to give them to people and describing lemon glass. They're so bad, I'd rather bleed out than have one used as a tourniquet on a severed limb.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Once more, please shut the gently caress up about anime and your favourite anime and bad anime.

Moving along.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1509439930/ant-plat-former

Oh lets see what this is. Hmm, no mockups, no video and this is the only image...

*squints*
*squints harder*

Ah, Its just something some 8 year old scribbled.

*squints*

:gonk: What an ugly, hairy 8 year old!

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Cheez posted:

If this guy can give me the ghoast slug, he has my money.
Yes, I need to see images of these things, I'll be checking back. I need to see what Grashoper Warlord, Frost Bortle, Dimond Ant and Ghoast bug Slug look like. I think we all know what a sweres dwelling ninja turtle looks like though.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Doggles posted:

It's a (Hero) Trap!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1055933980/the-hero-trap/description

Funding amount was set at $25K with stretch goals up to $100K and more teased beyond that. Funded with $26,082. How dare backers feel "cheated" when the dev intentionally undercut the budget, right?!

I asked for a fraction of the money I really need so that I could totally pocket that. Then I didn't make the game because I didn't have the other 3/4s of it because I never asked anyone for it. But hey, if you're going to be a whiny bitch about it and feel cheated, take a number and a seat, I'll refund you....never. Hows never for you?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

senrath posted:

He would be about $80k richer right now if the project had failed to fund, ironically enough.

Oh, and this isn't the first thing that went wrong with this project. Back in July of last year they announced that they couldn't make the game as they'd pitched it so they were changing the mechanics (no more hero switching, but you can jump now!), the story (from treasure seeker to a kid chasing a devil who stole their bike), and the title (from The Hero Trap to drat! Devil Stole My Bike!). So really, even before it was canceled no one who backed the project was getting the game they had pledged for.

I am not sure that I believe it, because of the way he dropped it in the same breath as "oh yeah the refunds for the money I took from you all that was never going to make the game happen anyway". Sounded more like he was verbally filing for bankruptcy to his backers. I can't imagine someone savvy enough to pull a trick like that would sink much of his own money into Springtime_For_Hitler.exe

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Everyone posted:

Anime.
:catstare:

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Donald is an rear end in a top hat!

quote:

A Kickstarter aimed at the person who tried to ruin my life--in the form of a card game.

About this project

I am sure you are wondering, "what is this all about" well to be truthful I am using my opinions about a guy I worked with (not a fan) and created a game around it. Each and everyday he went out of his way to try to make my life more difficult than it should have been--this is my response.
Why I am doing this?

I don't think it is a completely irrational thing to do... Create a card game out of my dislike for someone who treated myself and others like garbage. But that's what I did! I wanted to do something simple and somewhat different, but maintaining the familiarity to other party games. We have all had someone at work or school who just rubs us the wrong way. Either they are disrespectful, rude, or just a plain rear end in a top hat--we can all relate and that is what makes this fun. It is obvious to me that in school Donald was a huge bully and got a lot of attention from doing so--I would like to turn that attention in a different direction. By creating a game that people can use to be mean, but not mean spirited. I am hoping that this game inspires you to share the link, because that is what will make us successful!

Take THAT, Donald! :arghfist:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Xandu posted:

The cards aren't even funny. They're just bad insults.

That's my favourite thing about them. This is probably the kickstarter guy's greatest l'esprit d'escalier compilation built up over a number of years and Donald would tear each of them to shreds. Donald is baller.