Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Afriscipio posted:

It seems they've forgotten this exists and works very well, even over an open fire.

They hope their backers have forgotten that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Subjunctive posted:

It is sort of hard to say who the victim is there.

Whoever went to The Verge.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

fishmech posted:

Kickstarter really doesn't like when you're just putting together funding to an order of an existing product from an unrelated company (although they have allowed things like, trying to restart an old production line or whatever), with rules specifically against it most of the time. I'm not sure whether Indiegogo specifically has rules against it too, but I suspect they do.

Indiegogo is where you go if even Kickstarter doesn't take your product.

If Indiegogo somehow says no, you presumably go to Crowdzu, which I've never heard of before today.

Alternatively, you go to whatever spanish crowdfunding site allowed that 25th anniversary reprint of Heroquest after both Kickstarter and IGG shut it down (surprise, surprise, it's still vaporware years later).

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

kjetting posted:

It's kind of a golden rule in invention and product design to do research and see if
a) your product is actually filling a void by doing something that no other products already do or
b) your product does things better than the competition. In the case of making outdoors coffee that could mean making coffee faster, produce a better taste, take up less space in the bag, produce less waste, be easier to clean or simpler to use. Any of those.

You're right, that's all important.

Or you could just slap your idea onto Kickstarter, and if it succeeds, then obviously there was demand, and if it fails, you didn't lose anything.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Inescapable Duck posted:

What happened to a good old fashioned pillow fort?

My kickstarter goes live next week. Bespoke bluetooth pillows, with an app. They also connect to those desk rocket launchers to make your fort even more impenetrable.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

So we poo poo a lot on Kickstarter here, obviously, but it hasn't really yet penetrated into the biggest idiot market, alternative medicine.

Today I saw the "Chi Well Pointer" at a local fair. It's two pencils with sharp gold tips, apparently magnets, and a far infrared energy accelerator (no batteries needed!)*

You need two because + and -.

Seven hundred and sixty Euros for two acupressure points.

Kickstarter's got nothing on pseudo-medicinal quacks.

* whatever the gently caress that is

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Dienes posted:

You missed a great opportunity to play dumb and keep asking them to explain it to you.

I was doing my best not to scream at them.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Waffleman_ posted:

Eh, a lot of apartment complexes and rental properties will charge you extra on your rent to keep a pet, and then there's the cost of care. Maybe you just wanna pet a kitty for half an hour.

My complex flat-out forbids pets.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

My favorite is the one where you put two doors across from each other, then invite a vampire into both houses, then uninvite him from both, and harvest the energy of the vampire being repelled out of one door into the other, being repelled from that, etc.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Or, if you want something slightly nicer, here's one for $30: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/915823-REG/rising_rpsc001_camera_pinhole_body_cap.html

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

A common problem

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jamesyeager/yeagertube

quote:

About
WE are going to build a place where our freedom loving culture can share photos, articles, videos and podcasts. A place that doesn't muzzle the voices of freedom and that cherishes our heritage.

Risks and challenges
Short term I risk embarrassment and in the long term we miss out on the ability to say things that are not popular even though they are true. We CAN do this. We CAN build a community of like minded folks. It is my mission. I will not fail.

Definitely not a Nazi.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

gun safe -> gunsafe -> g unsafe

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I can't believe this actually shipped.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

We have our next OUYA.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-win-2-handheld-game-console-for-aaa-games-laptop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SP8SCxZnOc

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3166333

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

unpacked robinhood posted:

There's a really good "let's ridicule audiophiles" thread somewhere, probably the goldmine

I posted the link to the current thread a bit ago.

Here's the F Plus episode: https://thefpl.us/episode/138

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Infinitum posted:

:laffo: What the gently caress is this poo poo?

Something a genius makes money with off of idiots.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Harveygod posted:

How many piss-starters can there be? I think Retsupurae did 2 of them.

Piss, like stupidity, is an unlimited resource.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

:golfclap:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

What if the Rubik's Cube but unlicensed and IoT?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1928372437/gocube-the-classic-puzzle-reinvented

I'm the

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Jedit posted:

Foxtales didn't just plagiarise their rules, they also plagiarised their company mission statement and lifted the shipping fee chart from another Kickstarter based in a different country to the one they'd claimed to be in. Thankfully Kickstarter shut them down with about four hours to go, so nobody lost money, but given the company the rules had been stolen from filed a DMCA takedown notice at least a week before they're looking a bit poo poo right now.

Lots of defenders of the project on BGG who still want this game to happen going as far as pulling the race card ("people don't like that they're from Pakistan").

Reminds me of the "HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Edition" Kickstarter. That got shut down by Kickstarter because Hasbro owns the trademark. So the creators moved to IndieGoGo and, somehow, managed to get it shut down there, a feat which I've not seen replicated for any large-scale crowdfunding project since.

So then they moved to some crowdfunding site in Spain (where, apparently, Hasbro technically doesn't own the trademark?), got funded a third time, and...

...more than four years later, still nothing. Someone recently visited the manufacturer and came back with this trainwreck of an image:

Apparently it's ready to ship! Except for the dice. And the translations. And the cards. And the miniatures. And the trademark issues outside of Spain! And no shipping date.