Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

But can I buy the woman with Bitcoins? Oh also is there a Bitcoin equivalent of Kickstarter? I want to gaze into that abyss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

People also forget that celebrity kickstarters are not a new thing. Amanda Palmer's kickstarter was a year ago and Kickstarter was a much smaller site at that point.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Elissia posted:

Even with Rifftrax I couldn't sit through the whole of Twilight 2. It felt like it was 30 goddamn hours long.

Seriously. I use it to fall asleep at night sometimes. Even the jokes can't keep me awake for more than 20 minutes.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

And yet all of this could be salvaged if the Ice Mitt was shaped like Mitt Romney. What I wouldn't do to melt that man all over my body.

But seriously $45 for a small ice mitt? These can't cost more than like a dollar or two to make can they?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

What if I make a multitool iphone dongle made of brass and wood with cogs on it, it holds your money, and one of the tools is a piece of beef jerky?

Add a bunch of naked anime girls carved into it like that awful Kingdom Death game and you'll get to 2 million dollars in no time.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

If it had a double butterfly twist I would have said "meh" but a triple butterfly twist? Pledged for $500 which means I get some magnets, posters, and the books apparently. Oh joy.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Also I assume you earned benefits as a teacher including health insurance, life insurance, retirement, etc. These artists almost certainly won't.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Jet Jaguar posted:

Ending soon: A wall-mounted bottle opener, billed as a "forever object."

I like how a big part of it is memories and bottle opening "experience." Because when I party, the thing I want to remember most is how I got my beer open with a small piece of metal.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

bowmore posted:

They have raised 1.7 million so far with 30 days to go. I think it might be possible.

Not really. Most higher profile crowd-funding projects start with a huge surge of interest than then drops off as the funding period continues. Unless they continue to add things that entice people to come back to the project and pledge more money (add-ons, additional features, etc.), it becomes really difficult to keep up the same pace that the project had in its first few days. For a great example, look at Double Fine Adventure which saw about $1 million in pledges its second day and then dropped down to around $20-40k for most days until the end when funding picked up again (http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure/).

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm amazed they didn't do it on KS since that's where the big money is, especially since they aren't doing flex funding. I kinda hope they succeed and become the Ouya of phones

I have nothing for or against Ubuntu, I've never used it personally. I just like comedy

Probably because renderings are prohibited on Kickstarter and that's all they have right now.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

It's $50 just to get a copy of the darn movie. Why do people put absolutely no thought into their tiers?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

JDM3 posted:

I've got a rare unopened DVD of Atlas Shrugged that includes the controversial ideology error (thanks to my brother in law :freep: who gave everyone a copy for Christmas). When the controversy hit I emailed demanding a new copy, they said they would mail a new insert (or perhaps provide a link so you could print a .pdf?) and, well :effort:

Edit: Also, "rare".

Haha this is almost a case study in the failures of Rand's philosophy, which would hold that a truly great business who made such a basic mistake would be quick to go the extra mile and correct their mistake so that their reputation isn't damaged at all. That's basically the entire plot of Atlas Shrugged: the brother fucks up and the sister steps in and fixes it. They should have fired the person who made the mistake (he or she can pull themselves up by their bootstraps after they learn from their mistake) and sent you an even better copy made of a new type of DVD that the government is trying to suppress. God, learn from your own movie.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

DoctorTristan posted:

Not even that long. All it would take is to knock it on its side and get the lid off.

Yeah even my cat could do it. He's gotten into harder places to steal treats before.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

OrganizedInsanity posted:

$10 is a lot but this might actually end up being a hot seller if its $1 or free with ad support, I can't count the number of times I had to buy a coffee to use the starbucks bathroom

The quintessential New York experience.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Machai posted:

What I want is a big bulky Swiss Army Wallet that doubles as a can opener, a fork, a spoon, a knife, a screwdriver (flat head and philips head), a toothbrush, a magnifying glass, a ruler, a level, a compass, a toothpick, scissors, pliers, tweezers, a comb, lock-picks, a USB stick, and has pockets/pouches for paper money, coins, credit cards and phones. It will also have a heavy duty strap for carrying it around. It will be indistinguishable from a messenger bag that is just full of those things. But it won't be dorky like a man-purse guys, because it is really a wallet.

Not buying it. It doesn't plug into my iPhone somehow.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

ComposerGuy posted:

By the power of Capitalism, I shall now undercut his price to: Free

Not one hour, but this is just a sample, after all.

Donations are welcome. Please make checks payable to:

Composerguy
Something Awful Forums, USA

I prefer numbers divisible by "10,000", thank you.

If it's free then I'm pretty sure this is communism, you dirty red. I will pay extra for my patriotic hour of silence like a true American.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

FlyinPingu posted:

They should really implement a way to put a limit on kickstarter donations so smaller kickstarters don't get overwhelmed like the marshmallow lady.

You can do this already by limiting the number of available rewards so if hypothetically I can only supply my marshmallows to 2,000 people I make sure that are only a total of 2,000 reward tiers. Of course the problem is that people rarely if ever do this because more money is more money even if your idea doesn't scale up well.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Also is like ricochet an issue when you're firing a gun at the ground? Like what if the ground is frozen or particularly dense? Could the seeds conceivably bounce and hit the shooter?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

I don't know I could totally see this calendar as a great way of motivating nerds to exercise and get out more. Do you want to have the body of one of these plus-sized steampunk models? No? Then go lift some weights and talk to normal people, you dork.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Yes, an upside-down cross is actually a holy symbol and that depiction of Baphomet is not actually meant to be satanic or whatever. It doesn't matter. What matters is that people see it as satanic. Go to almost any Christian and show them an upside-down cross and they will tell you that it's sacrilegious. Show that statue to a Christian and they'll tell you that it's of Satan. This is one of those cases where the history really doesn't even matter anymore. You can tell them the truth about these symbols but that's not going to change them from associating it with Satanism.

A good and relevant example of this is when biblical scholars announced that the sign of the Anti-Christ, "666", might actually be "616". One source interviewed some Satanist about what he thought about this and his response was to the effect of "We're going to use whatever scares Christians more."

You would think that by this point in this thread people would have learned that the truth is of secondary concern to most people. Instead, what I learn from this thread over-and-over is that humans are obsessed with symbolism more than the truth.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

This strikes me as the type of thing you and some friends scribble with fabric markers on some dollar store t-shirts to laugh about while drinking, not as something you actually get professionally made. It's kind of amazing that they think one really awful slogan is something to base an entire Kickstarter and webstore around.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

In the scheme of things it doesn't seem like a terrible crowdfunding campaign in that the people doing it actually have done something like it before and it isn't obviously a scam. The Flexible Funding thing is a mystery to me. It seems like they have a dedicated fan base. I wonder why they didn't just set the goal at 50K or 100K so that it seems more legitimate.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Mineaiki posted:

Wow people are willing to drop a lot of money for the sake of pretending to hear a difference between 320kbps and FLAC and reaping the smugness that follows.

Does this surprise you?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

This is the most amazing thing ever:

quote:

so there's no worry about also dying in cyberspace...you'll be allowed to exit, even if there's an outage where you all may live. all included devices [look at diagrams on frontpage], work independently together to make sure everyone is able to leave anytime despite the trouble. plus, you all won't feel pain, suffering and death.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Also if WotC had done an at-all competent job at developing an online version of Magic, I doubt Blizzard would have been as willing to create a card game that is so similar. But because WotC seems incapable or unwilling to develop an online presence that doesn't feel like it was made by a 14 year old in 1997, Blizzard saw a poorly met market and came up with something to fill it.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Fauxtool posted:

jerkin' it leaderboards

You laugh but I could totally see this being an actual thing. If 4chan and Reddit have taught me anything, it's that dudes certainly like to brag about masturbation a whole lot.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Noyemi K posted:

I could have sworn the cat thing was over, but I guess I was wrong.

Thanks for posting an awesome kickstarter that ended months ago.

Also cats are never over. Cats are amazing.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

4 kids? Jesus Christ dude stop trying to be a youtube superstar and focus on being a good provider.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Remember discussions about how Kickstarter could be used as an effective tool for money laundering? Because that's what the atomic watch thing seems like to me. Who are these 8 people who would pay $6,000 for an ugly-as-sin, ultra-high-maintenance watch?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Shwqa posted:

Well most "atomic" clocks just receive radio waves from far more advanced atomic clocks. They cost like $10. I'm pretty certain that those clocks would be more correct than your own household atomic clocks. They also have the advantage of being normal clock sized instead of brick or 2 brick sizes. And the radio clocks have battery lives of months to years.

Which makes that kickstarter that much stupider. But if you want to pay 600 times more for a worse clock that is twice the size and 1/365th the battery life, there is an option for you.

Awful Kickstarters: Paying 600 times more for something worse

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Crain posted:

Is it just me or is there something really...off about this kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lix3d/lix-the-smallest-3d-printing-pen-in-the-world

It's another 3d printing pen. And to their credit they have a development plan and put a lot of effort into the proposal and their website. But the video and the fact that everything about the donor tiers and rewards makes me think this isn't a funding project and more of an ad. Something just seems wrong here.

Didn't some tech blog test one of these 3D printing pens and basically found that unless you were like a fairly skilled sculptor that even the most basic shapes just collapsed into big goopy messes? I seem to remember that.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

I dislocated my jaw once and had to be on an all liquid diet for 2 weeks. By the end of that second week, I was so sick of it that the thought of broth or a meal replacement shake made me queasy. Even with my jaw pain, I got this incredibly strong desire to chew something I can't imagine eating that way voluntarily and only one substance.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Crain posted:

That'll be taken care of in the next kickstarter: Soylent brand adult nutrition expulsion control pants.

Or, ya know, like a buttplug or something.

Make the buttplugs hook up to your iphone. You'll make $250k right there.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

"The clever key that opens everything but doors."

So it's a pretty terrible key then.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Yes because when it's pouring out I really just want to share my umbrella with some jerk.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That jerk can then go to the app and find your name and facebook ID just by inputting the time and place they met you. The app also tracks users' current locations and records their past routes which is just the information you want stored on a crowdfunded program created by four teenaged students who don't seem overly concerned about online security. :downs:

Is there a deluxe version where it blinks out my social security number in Morse code?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

Wow they won by a hair didn't they? I wonder how much of that money was by a generous benefactor in the last minute

According to Kicktraq, it looks like a third of the money was contributed by a few backers making much larger donations than everyone else in the last few days of funding.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

wa27 posted:

So the "Epiphany onE Puck" (the coaster that charges your iphone with a cup of coffee) is probably safe to call a scam now. No word from the creator in several months, and backers are getting restless.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/epiphanylabs/epiphany-one-puck/comments

I think it was probably safe to call a scam the moment they said "charge your phone with a cup of coffee."

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

My eyes ache just thinking of looking at a screen that close to my face for any period of time longer than a few seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1673957641/free-energy

Nikola Tesla is mentioned of course, and he can't reveal the details because otherwise it would be stolen but it's definitely really working. You know he's serious because it's ALL IN CAPS.

I don't know I find his children's toys wrapped with electrical wire and blue painter's tape pretty convincing.