Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Machai posted:

Are they really crunchy and electrocute you when you try to eat them?

Robert Heinlein made them, so probably. And I hear they taste unexpectedly sour at the end. Arthur C. Clarke, the third member of the big three amigos, got into chalupa. Not chalupas. It's just one single, delicious, massive chalupa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

The funniest part of such criticisms is that they're practically quoting what the guy himself and his closest friends have actually admitted about his work habits and past projects. So the comments in defense of Harry Knowles are basically saying "Yeah, the money will be wasted. Yeah, he's lazy. But quit bumming us out because we don't care."

Man, I wish I had fans like that, who would throw money at me knowing full well that it'll get blown.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Death Himself posted:

I don't really know much about that guy except that he's hiding a bunch of fat behind that hair. I guess that's one way to do it...

A rare shot behind the beard:

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

God drat. God loving drat. Goddamn. drat you, god. God, these dogs, drat these are some goddamn dogs. Jesus, god almighty on a bun. Dogdamn.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Sigma-X posted:

The funny thing is there's a sweet hotdog chain out here in California that actually does the boutique hotdog thing pretty well:
http://www.jerrysdogs.com/

And back where I grew up, there were tons of hotdog/hamburger places as well. It's hardly a unique restaurant idea but he can't be loving bothered to use real cheese on his hotdogs. It's just sad.

At that place you linked, they at least cooked the dogs. I'm all for meager food done right.

On further inspection, it's the nice red plate that makes me laugh. He's trying so hard. You can tell. All the ingredients are there, sure, but it's collectively terrible like the chef is an alien who doesn't understand even the basic concept of food. An unmelted square of Kroger american-style imitation cheeze food lays limp on an untoasted, ripped apart cheap-o white bun. The Dollar Tree yellow-as-all-hell mustard sits opposite and in contrast to two spoonfuls of lukewarm poo poo-brown Dollar General "Meatie's Chili." The hotdogs have no grill marks, no signs of plumpness or of ever being heated whatsoever. The entire meal, chips, plate and all, are meant to be microwaved excessively and served to someone who is either crying or drunk.

Then there's this nice, red, square plate with a tasteful black rim. That kickstarter guy wants this so badly and I just... alright I confess. I kinda want this guy to succeed. It's like he has a dream to be a business owner and to make and serve stereotypical American food despite never having made anything more complex than Kraft Mac and Cheese. He quit his job in a huff one day at the duck whistle factory with a triumphant "gently caress you, Clyde!" Then he went home and announced to his wife that he's finally made the leap of faith that they supposedly always talked about. He's going start his own business, god drat it! "It's the American way, sweetiebeefs. You always said you love my dogs!" Then he posted the announcement proudly to his 29 friends on Facebook, "I'm starting a hot dog business from my van! Hey, does anyone have a hibachi I can borrow?"

He wants this so badly that he tried to follow some foodnetwork.com recipe for the perfect American chili dog. Weeping after his first attempt at selling this poo poo to strangers, he yells, "All the ingredients in the perfect chili dog are right here! I just don't understand why nobody likes it. Unamerican is what all these goddamn people are. Unamerican!"

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
I don't get this BS about wallets. Nobody besides you gives a poo poo about your wallet. They only see yours for the second between when you take it out of your pants and when you put too little money onto the bar tab and dart your eyes about hoping nobody notices that you're $10 short. Seriously, everyone I know who owns a noticeable wallet has been a cheap loving bastard. Maybe I've been conditioned like one of Pavlov's dogs, but all these Kickstarter wallets might as well be labeled with giant red lettering that say "Massive Douchebag."

There's 198 wallet Kickstarters right now. I don't understand it. Wallet design is not a problem that actually exists. Nobody but the spergiest of autistics is currently having a wallet issue that can only be solved by a completely new style of wallet.

I would have to have my entire life in order, including career, wife, wealth, kids, house, car, hobbies, and every other mundane aspect of my own personal fashion sussed out before I started paying attention to the fashions of poo poo that nobody but me cares about, let alone sees. It would be like getting a tattoo on my ball sack before filling out all the other body parts.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

Just once I wanna see a dude wearing women's underwear and lipstick holding a circular saw over his bound and struggling victim in a room covered in plastic

"Oh I didn't see you there"

Also he's blind.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I think that the fashion regarding men's pants has largely precipitated an increased demand for thinner wallets. Bigass wallets are uncomfortable in tighter pants and they jut out noticeably. That probably wasn't a big issue over a decade ago when young people were going around in sagged JNCOs or whatever.

I switched from a huge triple billfold deal to a wallet with a money clip when I stopped being a fat turd and could wear skinny jeans.

Okay. I'll accept your premise for a second about skinny jeans and ask why do we need 50 bajillion new designs of microwallets? There's already plenty of microwallets available elsewhere. Wal-Mart sells thin wallets, microwallets, and money clips. That's how available this poo poo is. It's not like people are sitting around with their credit cards and money wadded into a zip-lock bag, just waiting for the day when their Kickstarter microwallet finally ships.

Hey that gives me an idea...

*Buys a few boxes of zip-lock bags*
*Registers a Kickstarter project for a "Waterproof femtowallet made of space-age soft plastic and flavor-seal technology! Fits all iPhones and Android smartphones. Made of food-safe chloroethylene polymers. 100% chemically organic and made in a completely radical and totally bitchin' chain reaction that actually removes dangerous, carcinogenic vinyl chloride from the local environment! Check out our Board Game Piece Wallet or our line of femto-thin Nintendo 3DS, Sony Vita, Ouya, and Playstation 4 soft cases!"*

Did I hit all the kickstarter bases?

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

I'm selling rolling your bills up in a condom and keistering them, outmaneuvered bitch.

Oh god. I could actually see a fake condom gag microwallet kickstarter being successful. How about fake condom iphone sleeve? It's hilarious and easy to retrieve from your pocket. Doubles as a real emergency condom! Attention PUAs: Use our sleeves for some subliminal hinting!

Name the company, "Big Johnson" and target those assholes who funded the Man Bag and Man Card bullshit.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
Kickstarter should just give in already and start doing official proposition betting. Then this fat dude could set up something like this: For every pound he has to lose, he gives $10 toward his Kickstarter campaign. Pledgers match his every dollar and Kickstarter holds all the money in escrow. If he reaches his goals by the allotted times, as proven by his doctor, he gets the money. If he doesn't reach a goal in time, all the money that remains goes to the pledgers.

Then I can finally bet on people's failures. If they make it, great! I'll get some entertainment and the satisfaction of knowing that I helped a dude actually change his life. If they fail, also great because I'll make a profit and be smugly satisfied that I knew that this loser could never make it.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
Hey, do you guys like jokes? Here's something from Microryza, the science crowdfunding website:

Why are jokes funny?

A well-credentialed grad student would like to analyze jokes using Amazon Mechanical Turk. She tells and fully explains a joke in the video. The first step of the project will be "Look through a bunch of jokes and see what is there to get." In the third step, they will use science to improve old jokes. I am a fan of jokes!

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

quote:

Why is there no video?

I cannot make a video of myself as people I live with sleep during the day and night due to their job. Everyone here works a day job and night job. People are asleep during the day and the night as you can see. Inplus, they don't want to be on camera.

He lives with one workaholic and one Snorlax and is physically trapped in a studio apartment with no walls. This is why there is no video.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

senrath posted:

I really should've explained better when I made that post, but I was tired and a little cranky. See, my big problem with how things turned out with Story War wasn't that I'm not getting everything I "paid" for (really, donated for). My problem is their apparent uncaring attitude towards these problems.

First off, the Kickstarter ended in March. It wasn't until last week that it was revealed that any cross promotional backers that backed at the Deluxe level effectively donated $20 more than (at least some of them) would have. Their response to this was to put together a list of everyone affected, and they'd be getting a month early access to something neat! But, oh, wait, after that month it's free to anyone.

Then yesterday they revealed that no one would be getting the Rogue card, and declared that it was too late to do anything, sorry, everyone affected also gets access to the neat thing, which turns out to be some music they're making based on the location cards in the game.

So to sum up, I'm not too annoyed that the mistakes happened (although one of them could have been prevented if they'd asked about printing costs of their promo stuff ahead of time), I'm annoyed at their responses to the mistakes.

I think people are giving you a hard time because it's an issue of relativism. In a traditional games thread, your complaints might be a big deal. Here, however, it's like you're sitting in an ER waiting room next to someone who just got half of his body blown off from a Kickstarter IED and you are explaining to the triage nurse your problem with inexplicably damp feet. This is a war, soldier. The enemy has 200 microwallets coming right for us.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Midnight Voyager posted:

And then... things got weird.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/785931538/dominika777-cosmic-fashion-collection-sping-summer

Where in the gently caress do I even start with this one.

Meet Olga Oleinyk, also known as Dominika777, and her spiritual sister Valeria Lukyanova, also known as Amatue 21.

Which one is a sex doll? Neither! These are two actual human beings.

This entire thing is a black hole of crazy, but hey, it has $66 pledged already!

Well it's about drat time someone figured out how to turn real people into anime.

Everyone who clicks this should keep scrolling until they see the guy. You'll know when you see the guy. He's right past the 500 sketches of fancy aliens.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
Was Subutai open from the start that the Kickstarter campaign was only for first round fundraising, or was this something they announced after they blew half a million bucks on hookers and swords?

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Zeether posted:

I just heard that part 3 of the Atlas Shrugged movie is going to be funded by Kickstarter :laugh:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/atlasshrugged/atlas-shrugged-movie-who-is-john-galt?ref=category

$250,000 goal, those CGI trains are gonna look even worse.

I like the FAQ. They do a little song and dance to explain how Ayn Rand would support begging for money in order to fund the third part of a twice-failed venture. And then there's this gem:

quote:

2. We're very aware that we have a built-in "anti-Atlas" audience as well. We know from our experience with the first two films that there is an incredible amount of vitriol out there and, we have every intention of capitalizing on it this time around. As we launch the Kickstarter campaign, those haters are going to come ALIVE. They're going to come after us in droves attacking us everywhere online. To them, we say thank you. Thank you for helping us spread the word. We're looking forward to the onslaught of all those negative blogs, facebook posts, and tweets.

I don't think I've ever seen a preemptive puppetmaster defense. They are also ignoring the huge number of people who are pro-atlas but against lovely movies and massive wastes of money.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I don't know if all of this fretting over Doobie's Dogs is proof that goons are good people at heart, terrible people at heart, or (most likely) some swirly combination of the two.

I think we've all been there, jobless with nothing but a bucket of hotdogs, a block of processed cheese, a van, an American flag, and a goddamn dream.

Or at least that was my initial impression. Since the campaign started, the guy has actually built his kitchen (look at the updates!), done some hotdog catering, set up his entire supply chain, and he appears to have his budget planned very well, albeit with the help of "How to Start a Hotdog Cart" eBooks. He's got a dream, man, and none of us and not even the devil himself is going to be able to stop him. Unlike a lot of crappy Kickstarters, I believe this is going to happen with or without our funding. This guy is Forrest Gump and his shrimping boat/hotdog stand might as well be built right next to the Field of Dreams. I don't mean to imply that he's an idiot, but that I admire his blind confidence and hotdog faith.

I come from Hipsterville where we only eat hotdogs ironically, as a joke, so that other people can look at us and say "Haha. That's hilarious. Let me take an Instagram of that. Imagine if you ate hotdogs and actually liked them." So this campaign touches me in ways both mystical and nostalgic. It makes me yearn for the days when I could eat bad food unironically and wear plaid because it's warm and because lumberjacks are cool, not because I'm trying to convey some dumb hidden message. Every time you eat a hotdog, you get to become a kid again for two minutes.

The hotdogs are hilarious, but I genuinely hate it when people get flak for "trying too hard." We badly need more people who try too hard. It's the most foolish insult to say, "I dislike you because I dislike effort." We are a generation of people who were told their entire lives by nurturing, caring, hippie parents they we are all geniuses. Every boy a wonderboy. Every child above average. But rare is a parent who doesn't care about test scores and IQs, but instead praises their kid only for trying and failing. Effort, man. Effort. That matters so much more than innate intelligence, than knowledge, than wit. You should try to do new things even when (hell, especially when) you think you will fail. This man is trying hard, with all his might, for an aspiration that isn't even lofty. It's humble man wanting for a reachable goal involving the most meager of foods in the tiniest of towns in the poorest of states.

Yeah, I'll be damned if I'm going to dislike a guy for trying too hard. It's apparent that he has turned to crowdfunding only because he has already put every spare dollar he owns into this business. I might not believe in the superior deliciousness of Doobie's hotdogs, but I want to believe in them. And I would eat one.

Another thing is that this appears to be a very small town where the median household income is 20 grand and the most prominent restaurant is a Subway. A hotdog stand, of all things, could affect real change there. It's a good story: The unfeeling internet hordes pulling together to fund a rural hotdog stand in Reform, Alabama. That is something I want to be part of. "Doobie's Dog House" is a name worthy of headlines. I want confused journalists to try to figure out what the gently caress happened, why it happened, and how they can possibly convey the idea of crowdfunding to their readers. It'll be like when CNN tries to explain memes. At the very least, this has the potential to make an entire town wonder about Something Awful. Someday, I would like to drive to Doobie's Dog House, eat a hotdog, and think of goons.

To finally answer your question about our motivations, it's definitely the third option. We are good and bad meats processed together and extruded as 6 foot tall tubes, both cynical and kind, complicated and salty. Goons are actual hotdogs. I pledged $25 for both entertainment and charity. If this works and there's a hungry Alabama goon who wants my hotdogs, they can have them. Just please take pictures so it's like a child sponsorship charity, only for meat tubes instead of impoverished children. If the Kickstarter fails, then I will have paid nothing and told a guy that I admire his efforts and his gumption.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

sporklift posted:

Love that picture alongside all of the professional and artsy photos. Chili dogs #nofilter.

Ha! Yeah, it does kinda stand out. I hope this spawns 50 copycat kickstarters from people wondering how they can possibly get in on this sweet, sweet Kickstarter hotdog action.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

What happened to their necks/chins??? :psyduck:

I'm convinced that there's some kind of valley right next to the Uncanny Valley, except even more freakish, where the people from drawings like that one can live and frolic and play. Even the Uncanny Valley people think they're horrid. They hush their Uncanny children, quietly admonishing them, "We do not speak of the the Ungodly Valley."

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
Let's talk about awful kickstarters, guys. Don't worry about Doobie hotdogs or FYAD or frogs. :)

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Hey, do you guys like it when lovely beer explodes in your face because some rear end in a top hat shook it up and threw it at you? If so, look no further than the Cooler Cannon, where that rear end in a top hat is now a robot trapped in a cooler. HOLY poo poo BRAH! If you pledge $10, you get a koozie! (Actual cooler costs $240 and will be delivered either next fall or never)

They need $275,000 and will probably get it because it involves beer and was on TV. If they could somehow give that robot breasts, it would make a million dollars by tomorrow. I hate everyone.

In a similar vein, we have Super Dickman (Probably NWS), which is a platformer game about a dick-man. As shown by that screenshot, the game features epic quests such as "find my planks" and something that involves spraying urine all over walls.

Here's the video game equivalent of a feed bag. Do your arms get exhausted after playing video games for 16 hours straight? Well, let your neck bear the burden of that heavy controller. Now you can use your piss bottle and grab a ladlefull of mayonnaise at the same time without worrying about where to put that unwieldy controller. I know, some of you will buy this because it's somehow practical for gaming while standing or something, but it's still ridiculous if only because it reminds me of one of those prank gift boxes from The Onion:

Finally, here's TSA Survivor shirts, which are $35 T-shirts featuring clip-art.

Noni has a new favorite as of 12:52 on Oct 3, 2013

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not sure how to feel about that oddly-specific choice of favorite colors.

Yep. Thanks, Google. That's exactly how I feel about this kickstarter.

Noni has a new favorite as of 12:43 on Oct 6, 2013

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Fatkraken posted:

Honestly if the Tellspec people are actually planning to send out some kind of product not just running an outright cash grab scam, they need to be stopped.

Whatever product they send out absolutely cannot work (whoever said it might be a cheap rear end digital camera and semi decent image matching algorithm might be on the money), but if credulous people really think it can detect peanut proteins or other allergens, they could end up literally killing someone by trusting the obviously made up wrong results that the machine would give them. This is something making definitive safety/medical claims that it absolutely cannot deliver, and is probably illegal. I'd appreciate it if someone who lives in the appropriate state could report them to their local FDA or whoever it is that deals with these sorts of claims.

They're either outright stealing, or are marketing snakeoil that will end up killing a child. It's depressing that in this scenario, it being a cynical scam is the BETTER outcome.

That's a good point and it looks like Indiegogo prohibits medical devices of this sort:

quote:

By way of example, and not limitation, your promise means you will not use the Service:

To offer, sell or distribute:
Controlled substances (such as steroids, narcotics, tobacco products, prescription drugs, marijuana), medical devices or products or services presenting a risk to consumer safety
Drug paraphernalia
Bullying, harassing, obscene or pornographic items, sexually oriented or explicit materials or services
Stocks, bonds or other securities, real estate, insurance or banking or financial services
Guns, ammunition, firearms, knives, weapons or accessories regulated by law
Items promoting hate, personal injury, death, damage or destruction to property
Items infringing or violating others’ Intellectual Property Rights, privacy rights or proprietary rights or wrongfully disclosing confidential information

Let's see if Indiegogo actually has a spine.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
The Power of Rape is my least-favorite Deepak Chopra book.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

pathetic little tramp posted:

Pull up thread!

Here's something that... I don't know.. is this awful? It kind of looks nice, but who the gently caress has room in their house for a standup mirror that holds your coins?

Already fully funded anyway. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/859783623/the-vertical-coin-bank?ref=home_location

There's nothing like a bank that costs ten times more than the change it holds.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

hazatude posted:

Heya Goons!

Sorry dude. You can't solicit without mod permission first. Personal charity projects are unlikely to pass muster no matter how unfortunate we all think your condition is. It's not because goons are insensitive pricks, but because there would immediately be 50 threads in GBS with people asking for money, many of which would probably be good causes for people in difficult positions.

Please edit your post to remove the links and I won't probate you.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Pomp posted:

This guy is an entire high school theater class condensed into a single being.

I want to see how a dude with 400 Facebook friends somehow fails at raising a mere $1000.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

Zybourne Clock posted:

Do you love zombies, ham and cheese sandwiches, video games, or any combination of these three things? Then you might like Safe House, a zombie apocalypse themed cyber cafe/deli combination. They're going to have next-gen video games consoles in addition to a variety of meats and cheeses and Coca-Cola, and also hope to sell every flavor of Monster energy drink. Their stretch goal is to prepare and sell their own hamburgers, and should they reach it they're going to randomly give away games consoles as prizes.

With your generous donation these folks can create two full and six part-time jobs. I'm certain the neighborhood will appreciate the zombie theme, and will not consider the business a dilapidated eyesore and bad for other businesses surrounding it.

Fixed funding? Are these guys insane? That's not how you scam people on indiegogo.

monster on a stick posted:

I love this t-shirt. Nothing says "wow, now I am hungry for a delicious hamburger and Monster beverage to wash it down" than a shirt that you can kind of make out has something vaguely to do with zombies. I also like how they've partitioned off approximately 1/3rd of California as a potential business location.

Hey, I recognize that guy (6923 results). The Stock Shirt Guy with the bracelet is really the best of all the stock shirt guys. You can't go wrong with using him in your crowdfunding project.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
They didn't do anything about the TellSpec bullshit either. That was the fake food scanner that a bunch of goons and various anti-scam websites reported.

Other than fake charities after disasters, has anyone ever seen Indiegogo remove a campaign?

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

skull wall posted:

on account of ->

Ooh, I see a sailboat in his shirt. Neat!

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

SupSuper posted:

Hey look, it's all your favorite 90s sci-fi stars: Cliff Simon (Stargate), Claudia Christian (Babylon 5), Terry Molloy, Colin Baker and Lizzie Roper (Doctor Who)! They're coming back together! To do an all All Your Base Are Belong To Us parody!

Wait... what? What?! WHAT????????

Hahaha what the hell?

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
Or you could ignore the bad parker and decide not to care about dumb things anymore and maybe then go home and rethink your life. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noni
Jul 8, 2003

joedevola posted:

Is there a tumblr name generator somewhere making all these terrible game titles?

DeathForge: Chronicles of The Elvencaust

FireSage: Doom Of The Dragonscrolls

HammerFork: Knife of the SpoonBowl

I would play HammerFork: Knife of the SpoonBowl but only if it's a sequel to Chex Quest.