Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Autechresaint posted:

Yes, if you just take out all that DRM and always on internet stuff, that shrinks the budget waaaaaay down. I mean like, I am sure Sim City 2013 would have only cost EA 250k had they done that.
I can't find solid numbers, but I doubt even the original SimCity was that cheap to make.
It's like they thought they were being really subtle and clever by naming features that nobody wants (like DRM) as things they could get rid of to cut down on the budget.

"Oh yeah...people will read this and be like...'whoa, I didn't want that anyway, win win!' Suckers..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Xenocidebot posted:

I want to know where you live that people jog in poo poo more revealing than this. :stare:
Uhm, everywhere? That's a full body suit, is this a joke?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Welp, you got us! Turns out sexism is over, wrap it up everybody.
These stupid snarky sarcasm posts are so immature and add nothing to the conversation.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

MjolnirMan posted:

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater;
Laughing at this whether it was intentional or not.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Is there a collective word for awful internet bullshit, like "grognard" is to gamers? I mean stuff like libertarian bitcoin-having fedora-wearing athiest MRAs on reddit. Either way, http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/569272765/the-ron-paul-bust-project?ref=search :psyduck:

England, we need to have a talk.
I don't follow libertarian politics and know very little about bitcoins but what on earth does being an atheist have to do with associating with awful MRAs or having no fashion sense?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

There's a major reddity FYGM misogynist vibe in a lot of Atheist communities. As Natalie Reed put it:
That's a really dumb stereotype, you might as well say all religious people are homophobic because some of them hate gay people. It's hardly relevant how some atheists on youtube or some corner of reddit act, atheism isn't sort of group or social movement or anything. Anyway the stereotype is about as stupid as this derail, sorry I even brought it up.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Help a multi-billion media giant down on its luck fund its next low-budget film! Kickstarter no longer has anything to do with its original mission statement.
Remind me again who loses in this scenario, i.e. why you're complaining about it?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

Somebody likes something, time to complain on the internet about it!

I think it is cool fans get to see a movie made when before all they could do is write letters and hope somebody cares, now you just send a bunch of money to people and all of the sudden they care and now maybe we can get a proper ending to the TV show Alf.

$15,000
In addition to all of the above rewards, we'll fly Alf puppeteer Paul Fusco directly to your home for a photoshoot where Alf is eating your cat!

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

What is the twitter word equivalent to "blogosphere"?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Leal posted:

For the creator, it is. And he makes crazy cash off people who don't get that he's basically insulting them.
I don't know too much about homestuck, but do you have evidence that this is true, that he's knowingly creating something he considers awful?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

How is this clever?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Jedit posted:

It's on Indiegogo.
The fixed funding cancels that out.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

quote:

My name is Mackenzie Wilson and I'm 9 but because you have to be 18 to have a project on Kickstarter, I'm partnering with my mom, Susan Wilson who told me to say she's 29 but I made her a birthday cake last week so I know she's 43.
shit_that_didnt_happen.txt

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

"We were naive, privileged, and stupid." Looks like someone checked their privilege :smugissar:
"While we're sure we would have eventually reached our goal..."

Hahaahhah

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I remember Riley getting mad that Double Fine had been a success while her game bombed and citing it as a blow to social justice. Now Double-Fine just made one of the co-stars of one of the most anticipated games of the year be a woman of color. :golfclap:
Who is Riley?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

What does Kickstarter's policy say about friends or family members contributing large sums to make sure a campaign succeeds?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Hyzenth1ay, it seems like the crux of your argument is that while men show their passion by doing extracurricular work, women show it by doing the required work with passion. Sorry, but that sounds like a load of crap. Yes, people show their passion in different ways, which is why you have a huge variety of different types of personal projects that passionate people work on. But going to class and doing your homework very well does not require passion, at all. When people are passionate about something, they want to spend more time doing it, I simply cannot think of a case where this isn't true. And I'm sure there's plenty of women out there who are passionate about these things who would find it insulting that you'd suggest they have a 'different way' of showing passion.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

What? That's loving stupid Orzo. Some people show passion by working on one thing very hard, some people show passion by working on multiple projects, and societal pressures tend to(a phrase Hyzenth highlighted multiple times) pressure women and men into showing their passion in different ways. I'm a dude, and currently a history student and not comp sci, but I show my passion by looking very hard into specific things. For instance last semester I did a research paper on the integration of Muslims and Islam into Chinese society up through the Ming dynasty. I spent as much, if not more time researching it than people with much broader topics, but just because I only focused on that one specific topic doesn't mean I was less passionate. You seem to look at the breadth of someones work as the only way to judge someone's passion, but depth is also a valid way. Speaking in more CSish terms, is someone who who writes one extremely optimized, thoroughly documented, well tested program less passionate than someone who writes three technically working but hacked together programs? Of course not.
Uh, this doesn't make any sense because my post had absolutely nothing to do with depth vs breadth and I have no idea where you got that from. So instead of saying it's 'loving stupid' you might want to actually read what I wrote, which concerned the amount of extracurricular work done, but not necessarily the nature of that work. Basically what Fatkraken said below you.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Best.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

There is no loving way that a 'fraud algorithm' was used to evaluate that particular fundraiser. What a load of crap.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I would pledge money to a Kickstarter for a device that stopped anybody on the internet from ever citing Dunning-Kruger ever again. It's officially eclipsed "uncanny valley = I don't like how it looks" and "sociopath = a person who acts in a way I find unpleasant" in terms of things that have lost all their original meaning through over-use.
Care to explain how it was used incorrectly? Because it seems like it was used according to its exact definition: the guy is too dumb to realize that he is not smart.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

There was some discussion on the meme tgc 2 pages ago in this thread.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

The Human Crouton posted:

I hate this embracing your fatness poo poo. Does she embrace heart disease and diabetes also?
The Kickstarter is awful enough in its own right. We don't need this stupid derail which has been done millions of times.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

POINDEXTRE posted:

People are reacting really negatively to this $1 goal, and I can see why, but I think it comes out of naïveté on this guy's part more than anything (the video isn't exactly professional stuff in general). Still, it seems like he has a pretty cool project with a lot of work put in already?
Naivete would be setting an MMO goal at $10,000. This guy clearly understands that a $1 is equivalent to flexible funding.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Modern Day Hercules posted:

It's loving stupid how bent out of shape some of you people get about kickstarters that you didn't even put any goddamn money towards. This poo poo has no effect on your life, I literally don't know how you can even care enough about it to get that worked up.
Yet here you are getting blatantly worked up yourself (your language is even more angry sounding than theirs) about their posting.

People get emotionally involved in stories whether it directly affects them or not, why is this hard for people to understand? It's not about whether they gave money to the kickstarter, it's about the idea of the scam itself, plus all the emotional heat that comes with any discussion about gender issues.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Jefferoo posted:

...and unfortunately wasn't 100% honest about the money she was asking for...
Haha, cute. I mean, technically, 0% isn't 100%.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Verdugo posted:

This loser subscribes to the "no such thing as bad publicity" angle, and it worked for him. Is there really a need to raise consciousness that "rape is wrong, pickup techniques are slimy?"
Yes.

quote:

Because people know that already. So it did absolutely nothing in the long run.
Maybe you knew that already, but not everybody does.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Hey man, not all of us who are against books on how to rape people are 'social justice warriors', kind of obnoxious of you to keep throwing that around.

Also your post makes no sense at all, you're still deliberately ignoring the rest of the content of the post.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I stopped reading this article here:
Why? They're right: it is no longer acceptable, but is unfortunately still common. Which is exactly what the article says.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Carbon Thief posted:

I don't know if this Kickstarter is really cool, or just a recipe for disaster - Charcade: ALL THE GAMES SPEW FIRE
Both.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Ah, yes, the "copywrite" office. Got it.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

The General posted:

The moment anybody pulls this poo poo in their video, I close the window.
The question is, can you watch this video without closing it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iQC0Fqpq70

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Bloodnose posted:

I think this is the first time I've ever seen a project on indiegogo that wasn't flexible funding.
This one was talked about a lot: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ghost-of-a-tale

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

The General posted:

This has been covered before and many times before. The initial rush is no indication of where the project will be in 30 days. I wouldn't expect them to keep pace of a million a day.
On top of that, if you look at the reward tiers, it's quite obvious why it hit that much the first day and likely won't continue at that rate--there was a first-day special.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Rapdawg posted:

I think asking for money to support living expenses is a little bit of a no-no
Not sure I understand this at all. Exactly what is the alternative? Let's say you're a programmer and you need money to pay an artist for your game. Now you're just funding that artist's living expenses. What's the difference if it's just for yourself?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Yes, the videos are all like that. They are also full of annoying jump cuts. Despite all this, the Megaman video actually does have some good content with concrete examples.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Zybourne Clock posted:

Atheism is mathematically and metaphysically impossible. Just ask these children, they wouldn't lie to you. Also, science is false because the resurrection of Jesus Christ and the shroud of Turin. Now give me 4000 dollars so I can send my manuscript to the nearest vanity press.
Haha, from the video: 'I don't know of a single human being who reads more than I do. No brag. Just fact.'

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Maluco Marinero posted:

You probably didn't learn to wall jump Super Metroid by accident, even though you could've done so at any point in the game, you probably did it going through their specifically crafted set piece which made it crystal clear that you could do it, and roughly how to do it.
Or if you're 11 years old, and me, you convince yourself you've accidentally run into a place that you can't get out of. And you saved down there. So you restart the entire game and make sure you don't fall in that pit again.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

quote:

"This game will be coming out on Facebook, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Wii U, PC, Mac, Linux, and all App Stores. All of these systems will transfer all information.”

John Videogames posted:

I don't particularly like Penny Arcade much anymore, but they nailed it with their first Kickstarter strip. This is a classic John Videogames there.
Haha, yeah, that's ridiculous. Luckily nobody would ever actually give money to an indie project that promised so many platforms.

Oh wait...

Ah yes, the hugely scoped hand-painted action-rpg game with a team of 9 and a budget of $242k, coming soon to PC, Mac, Linux, Ouya, Android, iOS, Linux, PS3, Wii U, and 360.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

As someone who may hope to use Kickstarter in the future (but doesn't dare to until I'm way, way further in development, because I know that making games is hard), this is upsetting. There are so many games projects that are going to fail, and people are going to get (rightly) bitter because of it. My only hope is that people start demanding gameplay footage or evidence of competence before backing a project.

On a related note, Cryamore, which pulled in over $240k, hasn't had any real updates in a long time except for some truly cringeworthy concept art a month ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Harminoff posted:

Everyone should try and help this guy break a Guinness book record. 500 movies in 500 days. A pretty worthy cause

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQnrkISJ288
I'm surprised there's so few dislikes, you'd think more people would not get the joke.