Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fourzerotwo/the-adventures-of-dash-a-2d-platform-and-puzzle-ad

How do you make a kickstarter, with video of "gameplay," of a 2D platformer with no enemies, no puzzles, no nothing? Goddamn this is the laziest professional-made pitch ever. And asking $400,000!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Leovinus posted:

What problem do you have with it, exactly? I'm not going to fund it and maybe the goal is a bit lofty, but there's a solid team of developers behind it and the limited gameplay videos they had of it looked like they had plenty of potential. I'd at least give the finished product a shot.

How does it show potential? It has characters that run from left to right, and sometimes from right to left, and also jump. You don't need developers with credits to their name to make that, you need a Saturday afternoon and a copy of Game Maker. Why would you launch something with so little content, and show off just how little you have?

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Zaphod42 posted:

More CEOs are men than women, but its because more men are willing to put in more hours to make more money and get more promotions, where more women want to go home after the day and spend more time with their families.

No glass ceiling at all, women just keep having babies and aren't willing to work long and hard like men. :rolleyes:

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
And with the super-classy $1 goal, that makes the project essentially flex funding! Kickstarter's approval process is a total sham.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
XBox The One :allears:

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I'm still not getting why you didn't wait to put up the Kickstarter until you had some of this stuff. The only explanation I can think of is the delusion that "Hey, maybe people will flood us with money and we won't have to put in any actual effort."

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Jedit posted:

Just what we all needed - a way to stop people tracking us via our mobile phones, for a mere $85!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/offpocket/off-pocket?ref=home_spotlight

Alternatively, you could use the Off button.

Why are all of their rewards anti-drone camouflage? :tinfoil:

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

ReelBigLizard posted:

It started as an art/fashion/political project a couple of years ago IIRC (I remember reading about the launch). Basically they're selling a message as well as a product.

EDIT: The Burqa is nothing to do with your phone, it is civilian clothing designed for reducing infrared signatures. It's a statement about the ongoing civilian casualties thanks to indiscriminate drone strikes in foreign countries.

Well I hope everyone who pledges to this project gets taken out in drone strikes. :colbert:

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Zybourne Clock posted:

"A clothing line based on hip minimalist design and the spirit of prosperity." Translation: I know how to use MS Paint and printed the word "YES" on a couple of shirts. Now give me $7500.

Having the project fail would almost be as satisfying as the failure of all of those objectivist propaganda projects you see pop up on Indiegogo every once in a while.

Why does YCS get their own clothing line, and I've yet to see a YOSPOS tee anywhere?!

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

The General posted:

I've never even started a car. I think I tried once when I was 10, but pussed out and didnt start it.

You might not be the target audience for wallets.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Ever Jane, the Jane Austen MMO has met its funding goal of $100,000.

What?

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

DStecks posted:

Are we really going to poo poo all over an attempt to do something with a legitimately unique concept, in a world where everything triple-A is yearly sequels and zero innovation?

There's nothing innovative about it besides the lovely setting. It's paperdoll character dress up, fetch quests and profession gathering sans combat.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
He's got to have nuked any kind of career by doing this, right? He was a tiny, bit-part which was a parody of a cult character, on a series with up-and-down success. He gets fired from that role, and then has several failed attempts to crowd fund a knockoff version of his bit-part parody. I'm struggling to imagine anything more depressing for an actor.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

dovetaile posted:

:shrug: I'm in that subculture and I'd definitely wear some of their shirts-most puppyplay shirts are a bit too sexual for me.

I'm glad these people self identify; I like knowing who to avoid in public just by their creepy sexual t-shirt.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Subjunctive posted:

I've only seen Thunderclap used to promote kick starters so far.

I've seen people use it to promote their undoubtedly horrible $0.99 ebooks about highschool vampires.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

theflyingorc posted:

Kickstarter doesn't require you to accurately price what it costs to make things before you start a campaign.

I can launch a kickstarter to make a $6 smartphone right now

It'd be an easy sell too. "We're using the guts of old discarded/recycled smart phones, but with our new industry-changing software, to bring you a smartphone for under $10! Not only a good product, but good for the environment."

Then take the money and run after posting a few "We're so close! Just a few more months!" updates.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

CommunistPancake posted:

Believing you are a superior person for not having a hearing disability is really dumb.

Nah, dumb is when you can't speak. :haw:

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
A quick Google search reveals they're also not 1) the first to build a bike out of bamboo or 2) even the first to Kickstart it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dhaugen/aluminum-and-bamboo-bicycle

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/817362809/bamboobee-build-it-yourself-biy-bike-kit

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1968200734/wave-goodbye-to-cyberbullies-and-trolls-socialauto

Wave goodbye to cyberbullies... because we're gonna doxx the poo poo out of 'em or something.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

alphabettitouretti posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/929434055/accolade-shadow-box/

Nick may have misplaced a few 0s on his project's goal here. Or perhaps he's just a super ambitious guy.

Anyway, he wants to make this crappy picture frame with shelving attached and needs your money to do it. Help a guy out to the tune of $10m to achieve this modest dream won't you?

He actually typed "Expresso."

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Star Citizen 2, Fantasy Boogaloo

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1791529601/ashes-of-creation-new-mmorpg-by-intrepid-studios

Edit: I'm hearing this is an actual, literal pyramid scheme. Neat.

Ville Valo has a new favorite as of 01:58 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1195895964/dr-horribles-evil-league-of-evil-the-board-game/posts/2239662

So some guy was Kickstarting a Dr Horrible boardgame and the campaign ended up being canceled. Because he somehow decided that he should totally crowdfund a board game that he didn't have the rights for.

You don't understand; he *really* likes Dr. Horrible! And he "did everything short of skywriting to get the license holders' attention" so like, that's due diligence right there.