Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.
44 kHz is more than sufficient to reproduce any sound someone who hasn't been exposed to gamma rays and mutated a bat's auditory system can hear. The goofiest thing is that there's just about a 0% chance that an old timer like Neil Young can hear much about 12 kHz anyway--high frequency hearing drops off rapidly with age, and 20 kHz (what little we could ever hear of it) is gone to most of us by adulthood.

Tetraptous has a new favorite as of 05:16 on Apr 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

ErIog posted:

I agree with the overall point you're making here, but your reasoning is wrong. You're comparing two different things here. 44 kHz sampling can only reproduce sound frequencies up to 22 kHz because you need to capture both the peak and the valley of the wave in order to represent it digitally. So in order to reproduce your example of a 20 kHz tone you would need a minimum sampling rate of 40 kHz.

Yes, I'm aware of Nyquist--but 192 kHz is still way way above that!

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

"The game industry was too shortsighted to appreciate our amazing game. Also, it required a nonexistent and complicated controller. And it wasn't any fun. But, publishers! :argh:"

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

A lot of effort goes into making modern tanks as low profile as possible. Giant bipedal mechs are kinda the opposite thing.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

flosofl posted:

Isn't water, especially water churned by a tow boat, particularly lovely for ground effect? And it's not a "technology", dammit. It's a phenomenon that increases lift and decreases the stall velocity of a fixed wing.

Why would you think that? Water is so much denser than air that it's essentially a solid boundary and ground effect isn't really sensitive to the smoothness of the surface. Hence ekranoplans.

That said, I'm all for making fun of this idea. It looks incredibly dangerous and inherently unstable. Also, the winglets are redundant if it's actually functioning as a ground-effect vehicle! I suspect virtually no actual analysis has gone into that awful thing.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

That pitch video reminds me of a live-action version of Tumblr's favorite book: Barbie: I can be a Computer Engineer where Barbie needs some male nerds to program the game she "designed." How could that team be so out of touch, especially considering that they have "a lifetime of experience?"

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Probably like noise cancelling headphones, but those only work because they’re headphones. The moment you move your head a fraction of a millimetre (or try to make it work on two people simultaneously), it would stop working.

Not even. The description (despite the terrible English) is fairly clear--they're simply flooding the area with white noise or other "designer sounds" so you can't hear other things as clearly. That's a time-tested technique that works, but I wouldn't be using it in public. The only novelty is that the device vibrates the surface it's on to do it, instead of using a normal speaker like your "rainforest sounds" alarm clock. Why? Who knows!

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Ein posted:

I was imagining an axe with double bladed heads on both ends of the handle, even made some axe-chopping motions to figure out if it could be used without inflicting serious bodily harm on the wielder. My arm swinging concludes that maybe it could be used safely, but you would have to be some sort of idiot to even try, and that's good enough for my future Kickstarter. I'll be rolling in hipster axe-money this winter!

"Tired of your wood shed being filled with axes? Frustrated by having to switch between your splitting maul and hatchet when chopping firewood? Meet Doppelt, with a heavy head for splitting logs and a small head on the other side for chopping kindling, this is the only axe you'll ever need! Say goodbye to those wasteful axes of yesteryear!"

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Zereth posted:

Yeah, they only need 2.5% of that, minimum.

That's right, they need to sell 2.5 million copies, minimum.

Well, looking at this list of PC game sales numbers, that's only as many copies as some dumb game called Diablo; who's even heard of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

Is there a summary somewhere? Cause that looks delightfully stupid but trying to piece together what's going on from just the campaign page doesn't seem like it'll work.

I also don’t know the background, but it seems like the main grievance of that campaign is that Wizards of the Coast includes a disclaimer with old D&D products acknowledging that they may be sexist and racist. (HINT: They are!) Apparently that’s a “woke” bridge to far for these guys!