Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I just wanted to mention that I got my Pebble watch (I was an early backer at $125), and immediately sold it for $350 on Ebay. I'm pleasantly surprised, but I think that is a non-typical end to a Kickstarter experience.

How was the watch anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

I am shocked, SHOCKED that it's a Flexible Funding Campaign. Also $2 so far so, uh, you're on your way kid. 0.001% is still better than 0 right?

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

MrGenlock posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/666653874/nsp-changing-the-way-we-play-video-games

This man wants your money to buy dozens of pre-owned copies of Black Ops 2, for you to play, surrounded by other people.

He also apparently lives about 15 miles from me.

Yeah but for a £1 donation to his project, you GET to design the logo for him! What's that? Most people usually pay YOU to design the logo, not the other way round? Well...

Kickstarter posted:

Q. £1 logo what's that for

A. Simple I want to give you an opportunity to make a name for yourself, help you possibly make a career or get a job with this offer, how good would it look of on your cv it states, creator of the NSP logo, at a college application or job interview, so what have you done, oh Im the creator of the NSP logo, that's now worldwide .
I can make the logo myself, I have ideas for it but I'm choosing not to do it and give somebody the chance to possibly change there life all for £1 donation, you want to make 50 ideas then do it it will still only be £1 The chance is there for you to take this opportunity with both hands if you choose to do so, it could change your life, and still I will always say logo was designed by ....... And I will never take credit for it

Quite frankly the whole thing deserved bolding in my opinion.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

So how long until their research is halted by the government, a rift forms between the founders, one of them disappears off the face of the planet, and re-appears as a bug-based supervillain?

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

Madcosby posted:

You enter the bar. There's two college co-eds drinking together at a table. A brunette is sitting at the bar, it seems she's waiting for someone. At another table, a girl sits with her boyfriend.

Inventory:
bianca spray
cell phone
ponytail
goatee
excess fat
reality destroyer

>

> Neg Grue hiding in shadows

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

So how many copycat lol monkey cheese $10 Kickstarters have popped up to try and emulate Potato Salad guy's success?

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

Ultraklystron posted:

BRB starting an android computer in a twee mason jar kickstarter.

Completely serious, unironic statement: if you pull that off, you will clear 100k easy.

Somehow make it an iOS compatible device instead of android and you're looking at 500k+

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

Ultraklystron posted:

I sadly also have the RasPi sitting unused as well.

Save it for the stretch goal at $10 million.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Holy crap, open the project page and just watch the pledge total for a bit, it jumps be several hundred dollars every few seconds. :psyduck:
It's gone up by about $200k since I last posted, it'll hit $2m really soon.

Seriously, every single refresh every few seconds for like a minute straight gave a higher amount.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

klafbang posted:

Our next project was "biorhythm calibration," which is a technique where we use radiation from your computer monitor to influence your biorhythms thereby tuning you for, say, a job interview or a date.

Um this is stupid, everyone knows that biorhythm calibration can only be achieved with a combination of healing crystals, de-ionized water and magnets.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

You know, if lowtax made a low-effort card game chock full of SA references, i bet he'd clean up pretty good.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Ten years ago maybe

Not that we're missing much *gazes sidelong at hellthread, turns away in disgust*

Not saying he'll reach Oatmeal kickstarter heights, but a hundred thousand or 2? Can't rule that possibility out.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

I think the oatmeal is really really tryhard but occasionally a bit funny? Am I allowed to have a mildly negative opinion of it, or must I hate it more than life itself?

Asking for a friend.

if you haven't set a cat on fire out of pure, white hot rage by now, then you're doing something wrong.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

ErIog posted:

The crazy thing is how that's something in a FAQ. As a marketing thing, the difference between their product and normal heat shrink wrapping should be loving front and center. There should A/B comparison shots saying, "Yo, our product is different from this bullshit over here. Here's how." That's not something you just footnote if you are going up against an established product. Nobody who wants to know how it's different(if it even is) is going to bother to read their FAQ.

I also like that they show a lighter being used to shrink it in their graphic about how it works. Then in the text it also tells people to use a lighter. They didn't run any of this poo poo by a lawyer, obviously.

They should use their kickstarter money to pay someone good at marketing to re-do their kickstarter page.

They've already pretty much smashed through their initial goal, so as far as 'marketing' goes, they've done something right! (playing devil's advocate etc etc).

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

Could some chemist or whatever explain what's wrong with crystal wash thing?

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

moerketid posted:

I noticed they had a "test our object recognition algorithms" link: http://www.robotbase.com/ai-platform/object-recognition

I punched in a nice clear portrait photo of my cat. It told me it was a "zoo, sleep, dog, mammal". A second portrait informed me he was a "dog, mammal, puppy, canine". A photo of my dog asleep on the sofa yielded "fish, life science, clothing, biology, painting".

This will work well.

Actually, I completely agree with the AI on this one.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

Noyemi K posted:

Stolen from YKS, but this poo poo is loving magical. Iron Hill by darkchall.

Read the loving rewards :allears:

quote:

Pledge $1 or more

you get to add the creaters on facebook

Pledge $10 or more

you can follow us on twitter

So what happens if I add them on facebook or follow them on twitter without pledging, does my computer explode or what?

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

He'd probably still go for it.

Not to worry, he'd figure that something was up after the 7th western union transfer mysteriously 'disappeared into the ether'.

Then they'll switch to moneygram and he'll be satisfied for another 20 or so transfers.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

Mildly Amusing posted:

goons were also the only people who cared about doobie, and look how that turned out

Hey now, the dude's still in business!

'Christmas is cancelled, I donated the holiday fund to doobie, now gently caress off to your rooms wife and child' goon must be ecstatic.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

everythingWasBees posted:

Theres nothing wrong with a mod making a kickstarter and posting it in the kickstarter thread where goons post their kickstarters though?? And she didn't probate people for criticizing it so the only argument you can make is "lol kickstarter" and "game bad". That doesn't say anything bad about the project or the thread. It just comes across as you having a hateboner for kickstarter and Shalinor.

Hey man, people are still reeling over the mod endorsement of Doobie Dogs. They need time to accept mods into their kickstarting hearts again...

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

lmao he broke the number one rule of video game kickstarter pitch videos which is to just make a trailer not talk to the goddamn camera the entire time.

Yeah instead of being overfunded by 1.5 million with just under a month to go, he could've been overfunded by 1.7 million.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Of course the guy who made this hipster "I refuse to type like a normal human just because" poo poo looks like this

no words. jesus.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

Gann Jerrod posted:

What "entrepreneurs" don't realize is that Keurig was successful because it replaced a device you already used, with a similar footprint on your countertop. No one is loving the idea of a giant machine that takes up a quarter of your limited space just for making something like tortillas or juice.

Man, if ~200% funded at over $100k with 27 days left is the new definition of '"idea that no-one loves", i sure wish my ideas were similarly massive loving failures!!

:smith: :(

(devil's advocate or whatever, i don't care for tortilla-bot myself)

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

Noyemi K posted:

Are we still talking about that motherfucking tortilla maker when there's an idiot who came up with the stupidest Unified Field Theory™ imaginable

Saw that on retsupurae, uh well done to him for making $14 with incoherent rambling I guess.

Though he probably would've made more on the street with a cheap sign.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

why doesn't someone just go the whole hog with this.

Introducing the Grundlr - this toaster-sized device will cook you a Michelin-star stone baked pizza and give you a world-class blowjob while bringing your pets and loved ones back to life by disrupting 3D printing and nano technology.

takes one proprietary pod per loved one and your pets will come back to life twice as thick as usual but that's a good thing because it's twice as much pet

Eagerly awaiting the Pet Sematary reboot on kickstarter, even more grimdark than the original.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

ElehemEare posted:

Hey thread, look, awful Kickstarter content!

Because cat people needed one more thing to make people think they're crazy.

Sure are some...interesting gifs on that page.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

Sanguinary Novel posted:

Courtesy of Facebook, here's the next dumb piece of technology to part idiots of their money:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1280803647/muzo-your-personal-zone-creator-with-noise-blockin/description

But of course it has already been over-funded! The videos are the best though - the Muzo will encase you in a Star Wars force field, cancelling all noise ever.

aaannnd of course they have the 'wall of press, half of whom we've never heard of'

gently caress it i'm gonna start working on my own slick pitch for a mystery product, and my press wall will be 10 times as large just you wait :mad:

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

Darth123123 posted:

I haven't followed this thread much but just clicked through some links and saw this
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/antsylabs/fidget-cube-a-vinyl-desk-toy?ref=profile_backed

$14M backed for a desk toy? idgi are all people idiots on there?

It's genius is what it is, preying on office worker morons with cash to spare.

e: only way it can get better is if it somehow targeted the silicon valley set (see: soylent)

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

fishmech posted:

Like seriously this isn't a kickstarter to set up a business or something, it's straight up "pay us money for this thing and you get the thing and we get a profit". The guy who's pitching in $25 is getting the dumb cube they would sell for $25 anyway. If you're the kind of person who wants the dumb cube, why would you not want it anymore just because they've already got $2 million?

Because after asking for just 15k and receiving millions in donations (still with 29 days to go), they're probably going to run into problems with fulfiling the quantity of orders in time or even with a minor delay.

doing a quick count on the reward tiers (accounting for the ones offering multiple dumb cubes) and the rewards themselves are about 260,000 fidget boxes. great if they somehow pull it out the bag and leave 10s of thousands of backers satisified, but um i personally don't see it going smoothly :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

Madcosby posted:

For example

I just backed this water breather device because I want to breathe underwater.

See? gently caress questions. I want to breathe underwater, drat it

my bad, start a kickstarter and take all my money please.