Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Giggily posted:

Is there a way to disable auto filling zones? I swear to god if I'm trying to place some residential zoning at a small size, and then the game randomly fills up like a 30 block radius I am going to kill myself.

It does some kind of flood-fill if you click and hold, and don't move the mouse outside the square you clicked in. It's useful for filling in industrial and farm zones around diagonal roads, but otherwise not.

Holding Shift while zoning prevents automatic roads.
Holding Alt while zoning tries to match the lots to a different road (e.g. if you want your lots to point to the side street instead of the main street.)
Holding Ctrl while zoning makes a single huge lot, even if you have nothing that would ever fill it.

(Also more keyboard shortcuts: Q-W-E selects residential zoning tools, A-S-D selects commercial zoning tools, Z-X-C selects industrial zoning tools. V selects de-zone tool and B bulldozes. R and various combinations of Shift, Alt and Ctrl + R selects various road tools. I only discovered these a few months ago, but they make playing so much less painful.)

A question of my own:
I've been working on a region and am on an edge city right now. I (foolishly) built up a load of industrial and low density res/com before starting on the farmland I meant to have on the other half of the map. Now I have zero agricultural demand. Can I do anything besides bulldoze every building in the city?

(Also, Simtropolis seems down, overload from angry SC2013 buyers?)

nielsm fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Samopsa posted:

Just build farms in the next region. You can 'fix' it by building 'cheat' buildings, search the mods sites for demand increasing buildings.

Well then it won't match up with the neighboring city to the right :spergin:

I'll do a save, then try bulldozing everything and see what happens.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

*PUNCH* posted:

Buildings in the standard and CAM demand model actually reduce the cap for farming demand. What this means is that even though farming is probably in high demand, having a lot of buildings artificially prevents farms from growing. The fortunate part is, actual demand (which you can't see) is most likely quite high. In the rewards menu you'll find a building called the "Census Repository Facility" which, to counter this, artificially raises the demand cap by 30,000. This stacks. Plop down a handful of them and it should allow the farms to grow.

Do keep in mind, though: farms are allergic to pollution and traffic. Given the screenshot, you'll probably want to make a green belt of trees between those farm zones and the highway. There are also two buildings in the parks section which will clean the air and drastically reduce pollution, though they have a pretty high monthly cost.

Well, I went with the bulldozer anyway, and it worked quite well.

It cost about §300k but the city redeveloped before funds ran entirely dry :)

Also, I don't have any of those buildings you're talking about; I've been collecting my own mods but never delved very deep into it. (I don't have CAM or SPAM, in particular.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Okay, is there any way to make the game be less ugly around diagonal roads+plazas/paved areas?

Specifically, those loving roadside flowerbeds. Can't they just pave that poo poo like the adjoining square?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

bromplicated posted:

How are you guys building those traffic circles?

Roundabouts?
They come with NAM.

The smallest (2x2) appear automatically if you just build a 2x2 circle of roads or streets.
The larger (3x3 roads with an empty space in the middle) appear if you build a circle with one-way roads.
The biggest ones (including avenues) are special items in the road construction menu.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Giggily posted:

Is there a reason that after a certain point my city stops having any demand for more jobs, but a never ending demand for more residential zoning? I have a population of about 20k, and around half that many potential jobs but people keep wanting to move in.

Are you making connections (road or rail) to neighbors, existing or not? I believe that's an important demand buster for industry.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

James The 1st posted:

You need Rush Hour

And it's probably easier and cheaper to just get Deluxe instead of looking for the expansion pack.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Giggily posted:

Use tools like SC4 Mapper and SC4 Terraformer instead of loading it through the game, which takes forever and doesn't work most of the time. The region will come out with funky colored terrain and you'll have to load up and save every city tile if you want them to match your terrain. Also add trees manually, I guess.

Huh, I don't recall loading a heightmap directly into the game not working, although I haven't done it that many times either.
What takes time/can "break" when doing it is actually the game loading all the city tiles and rendering previews of them. That, combined with the problem where the game just produces a flat field for region tile if you switch away from it while it's saving means that you have to basically leave the game focused and screensaver etc. disabled for possibly hours when loading in a heightmap like that.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It would probably be smoothest if you do it SC2013 style, prepare the landscape and major roads for the region ahead of time. Except then all the cities have to be started/named ahead of time too.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Actually I'll join a goon region too.
How about making a thread in PGS for it?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm in for multiplayer SC4, now that it's shown that mod packs don't even need to be synched up. Send an invite

Just get to our thread in PGS and join the madness. We're having lots of fun with saves getting overwritten unexpectedly and stuff :(

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

hecko posted:

For those having troubles using hardware mode , there's a fix to make it run faster and more stable

Seems to work! This should be in the OP.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wait, so if the RCI bars just denote that people want that kind of thing to be zoned, but you still want to keep the bars high above 0 anyway, how are you supposed to know what to zone? Just whatever you like as long as the RCI bar for it is in demand?

You decide what kind of city you want and zone correspondingly. The RCI indicator tells you what kinds of cities you can build, not what you must build. And if it doesn't support what you want, build services, amenities and otherwise adjust things until your dream city can be supported.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Does anyone know if there is a fix for airports having insane crime levels, regardless of police coverage? Or is that intentional?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

jadebullet posted:

Does anyone know why if I let SC4 sit on region view for a long period of time a thick, screen high cloud bank will roll in obscuring the region entirely and forcing me to reload the region? Is this a normal thing, or is it just some sort of bug?

I think it's specifically a bug with hardware rendering mode with clouds enabled. And it's completely harmless.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

My biggest wish for the SC4 modding community: Create a mod manager with automatic download and dependency resolution.
Like that's ever going to happen.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I tried doing that thing with mixing light commercial with industrial, and some medium residential too. Dirty and mfg is taxed to hell so only high-tech industry.

(Also this is in our multiplayer region where commercial demand is through the floor everywhere, so only the shittiest low-density shops ever show up.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SkySteak posted:

Sorry if this sounds stupid but what's the most effective way to place Buses, Subways and Train Stations? I often have a problem that Sims, will not use said services, even in a packed area. If they do it's like, only 3. Is it just a matter of there being too many road options or do I have to do something specific to guarantee usage?

Also is it true that you should not give multiple routes to a main transport artery? I heard that it fucks up the AI's pathing.

Do you have NAM? One of the things it does is make the traffic sim much more likely to use mass transit when available. I like placing bus stops at approximately each intersection, or every second if they are close.

You should avoid making grids where any road can be used to go anywhere, since you'll often end up getting local streets getting used for through traffic then. I tend to lay my streets so the shortest route will almost always be to go to the nearest larger road and continue from there. Do that by snaking the streets and leaving out some connecting parts.
You can also connect two disconnected street networks with a bus stop, touching one street from each. That will allow pedestrians and buses to pass, but not other road traffic.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Longbaugh01 posted:

So, this really doesn't sound much different than the agent system in SC2013. Is the job the abstracted Sims take persistent? As in, does not change, until a closer job that's appropriate appears? How often does SC4 run this check?

The difference is that SC2013 runs vehicles down roads and those vehicles block each other and stuff. SC4 instead runs a graph algorithm on the road network per simulated trip and calculates the load along each edge.
If the SC2013 agents didn't basically take random turns at intersections, the result of the two things should be roughly the same.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

whiteshark12 posted:

Is there any way to pick up agricultural demand after it flatlines to 0 from growth? I wanted to fill the tile but I expanded the town too quickly and now there's 0 demand for it.

Pick up the bulldozer and clean all your existing zones. Leave the zoning in place, just destroy the buildings.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Okay I didn't think bus stops could even do this:

Connecting directly to a highway.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Medium Style posted:

What's a good size for farms? Does it make a difference?

What you think looks good.
Keep in mind that the fields also employ people, not just the buildings, so it's fine to have large expanses of fields.
I think the sizes made by the default-dragging with the farms zoning tool creates unrealistically small plots. A medium size city is supposed to be 2 km on each side, so fitting 2-3 fields in one direction on a medium tile would be reasonable.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Anomalies posted:

Due to the way the game/NAM works, there is no penalty until the station reaches 400% capacity, at which point it stops working.

I think that's 500%, at least I see several stations pegged at that in my goon-region city.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Flagrant Abuse posted:

SC4 is borderline unfixable without Rush Hour. Get Rush Hour.

Or just rebuy the game in Deluxe version, it will probably be the same, or even cheaper, than trying to track down a standalone Rush Hour package.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Keep in mind that water is required for any kind of multi-story buildings to grow. If you aren't planning to water an area, don't bother zoning medium or high density because they will still only build low density in it. Initially your demand won't be high enough to support any real medium density either way.
Schools and hospitals are required for medium and high wealth, so if you leave those out you will barely get any of that. Keep in mind that the primary "use" of medium and high wealth residents is employment at big commercial offices and high-tech industry, and those require a significant city size either way to appear.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Density and wealth are orthogonal. You can have high-wealth mansions housing a single family, which are low density, and you can have giant low-wealth tenements housing thousands, which is high density.
As long as you provide water, jobs, and high density zoning, a high demand can make high density buildings grow.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Andrigaar posted:

Though the fun of Sim City kicked in here. Buy all of the neighbor's garbage for cheap, and sell it back it to them at several times that cost as electricity :smug:

Oh, but sending garbage across a city border stuffs a truck full of garbage, and the driver also gets a suitcase full of money to deliver. You pay others to have them take your garbage. Then you pay them again to buy it back as electric power.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Imapanda posted:

Does the steam version have the latest patch installed by default?

Yes.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

75% off on Steam today, €2.49 for the full Deluxe edition is a great deal.

E: Beaten!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Deakul posted:

Ugh, how the hell do I even install any of these mods? I got the Old Fashioned pack and it came with a million folders with absolutely no instructions.

I know they're supposed to go into "C:\Documents and Settings\Greg\My Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins" but... how? What folders do I keep them in? Are the mods applied automatically?

Just put them into the Plugins folder however. You can use any subfolders you want to keep it organised.
Yes they are automatically loaded and used just by being there.

One thing to keep an eye out for: The mods are (supposedly) loaded in alphabetical order, and there are a few components, in particular from NAM and CAM, that must be loaded before or after everything else. Those are typically given odd names that will force them to sort first or last, make sure nothing else comes before/after those.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Gorelab posted:

Is there any way to get poor people out of $$$ wealth buildings? Also what's the best way to get demand for the rich and middle class up? I don't really have a lot of low value area so I have a lot of zones without much growth even though I have crazy demand for $ wealth people.

Have you tried education, recreation, healthcare, and safety?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

bobthedinosaur posted:

Any tips for designing realistic looking subway and rail lines? I find that I keep winding up with tangled messes of rails.

SC4 doesn't give you particularly good tools for it, especially not subways, but you can try following common patterns for local rail transport, at least.
Generally you see the star pattern (lots of lines radiating out from the city center, usually each line actually continuing through, having a few stations in common with other lines) and the ring line pattern (typically not forming a full circle for various reasons.)

At the scale of SC4 it can be hard to make meaningful amounts of realistic-looking railway constructions inside a single city tile, you'll have to build stations much closer than they would be in reality.

On a micro level, there are a few things you can do to make realistic-looking stations and junctions.
First, the "bypass" pattern which SC4 requires for rail transport to work efficiently, is typically not used in reality. If you can find a way to, at least visually, have four tracks, two each direction, and platforms on just the outer or just the inner, but have it work the same as bypass stations, that would be more realistic looking.

Commuter rail typically will have some yard area near the center of a star, as well as at historical ends of a line. However if a line has been extended several times, there will usually still be just a single yard area, and typically not at the end.
Don't overdo yards for commuter rail, just make some 4-8 short dead-end tracks for cosmetic purposes. At a star center yard, they can be non-dead ends too. Add a cosmetic shed, washer and such if you can find any, but typically only a minor part of rail yards are under roof.

Don't bother trying to make subways look neat on a micro level, the way the stations and track laying works it's pretty much impossible. Just focus on the overall network layout.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah, on that note, is there a set up including mods that emphasizes stability and loading time? My father loves Simcity, but his patience for crashes is about nil, so I've been reluctant to try to get him playing 4.

A basic NAM + the bugfix mods will be fine. It fixes the gameplay issues the base game has, everything on top of that is basically eye candy.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

J-Pak posted:

Does anyone have the tutorial region? For some reason I deleted it the last time I played SC4 and after reinstalling it in Steam it's not showing up when I select load regions. It's defaulting to Berlin.

The regions are stored under your personal Documents folder in Windows. When you start the game for the first time it copies the shipped regions from the game's install folder to your user profile and then uses those.
You should be able to just manually do the same thing, find the game's install folder, find the regions you want to restore, copy them over into your own profile.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Geshtal posted:

I think I found your problem.

They should call it "traffic bugfix mod" instead.

Also yes, making a road connection into a blank tile/entirely out of the region is useful. It will help bust industrial demand caps, i.e. let your industry grow further. It might also relieve commercial demand caps a bit, I don't remember that.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

MikeJF posted:

In-place replacement is the hardest method, since the pollution will drive off High-Tech development. A separate High-Tech park and redevelopment of the old Dirty area with something else is much easier.

Really not, if you have sufficient cash buffer you can usually just get away with bulldozing it all and waiting for the new HT to pop up in its place.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tindahbawx posted:

Does anyone know if the alluvion.org tracker is having issues? Trying to download the Grand fromage pack from the OP, but while downloading it just tells me I'm not registered to use the tracker, which I am, I can log in just fine.

I think the tracker authenticates the IP address you log into the website with to use the tracker. Make sure your torrent client uses the same IP address as your browser. (If you're using an anonymizing proxy or such you might have to disable it.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I've previously had an insta-crash problem. I think I resolved it by removing all commandline parameters and deleting the configuration files, to let it start all over setting up graphics. After that I could add my commandline stuff to start windowed etc back.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

BBJoey posted:

How utterly detached from anything resembling reality do you have to be to think you can start criminal proceedings against someone for registering a forum account? I really hope they keep us updated on their adventures in Canadian criminal law so we can see just how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Oh, but before that he defamed them by writing some non-nice comments elsewhere on the internet. Also, all of us will now lose any SC4D account we might have because we're expressing dissatisfaction with any element of it.
Completely loving bonkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This feels like a stupid question, but does the Old Fashioned Pack extract to the Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins folder or the steamapps\common\Simcity 4 Deluxe\Plugins folder?

Technically irrelevant, but you really should leave the latter alone. Put it in the "My Documents" subfolder.

• Locked thread