Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

For those asking if you can combine the three modpacks, I can report that mostly the answer seems to be yes. The two big issues are:

A) Holy load times Batman! Seriously start up SC4, go get a drink or something to relax with, come back, choose your city tile, go take a leak, come back, wait some more, then play.
B) Some of the icons, especially in the tree and transport menus, get duplicated. Doesn't seem to be a big problem, just makes the menus bigger for scrolling through.

There's probably all sorts of under the hood stuff that's getting horrifically broken by this setup but whatever, I don't care!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

PerrineClostermann posted:

If you're having trouble getting going, it's best to start off running your town like a horrific third world country and withholding things like water, police, education, medicine, etc.

Then add them as you can afford them.

Yeah, don't give your sims a goddamn thing until you get a fire or a riot or something. SC4 is the best politician simulator ever because your job is to essentially ignore as many complaints as you possibly can.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Okay help me out here because I'm confused. I grabbed RTMT and when it's a silhouette before I lay it down the bus stops etc. appear properly but when I actually place them they become brown boxes. How is that even possible? :psyduck:

e; nevermind, apparently there's an "optional" component that is in no way optional :downs:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 17, 2013

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Shibawanko posted:

SC4devotion is a weirdass website in general. I think they once considered suing somebody for making a second account.

This did happen. If I can remember the details: Someone made a second account to get around what I believe was a temp ban due to some previous drama, and an admin went completely bugfuck insane over it. I don't recall even the gist of his insane moon logic but he was convinced a crime had been committed and said he would be speaking with his lawyer about bringing charges against the second account maker.

If you don't spent days at a time modding SC4 then deleting the folder and starting over, you're not playing SC4 correctly.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Mister Bates posted:

I haven't played SC4 for about a year and am thinking about getting back into it. I've been using GrandFromage's mod pack; has anyone used both that and the OldFashioned pack for comparison? I'm not sure which one I should use this time around.

OldFashioned's more up to date and last I looked was pretty great, but I used both GrandFromage's and the first iteration of OldFashioned at the same time and the conflicts were few and far between. Remember though, as someone upthread said, this game runs on bizarre and arcane incantations at best so there are really no guarantees if you try that.

I'd say grab OldFashioned, you won't really go wrong with it and if you do, it's not a big deal to clear the mod folder and put other stuff in.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I don't suppose anyone's ever compiled a bunch of the Hong Kong BAT Team's stuff into a single convenient download? I had a whole load of their stuff on my old computer and it was pretty great, but hosed if I'm going through that rigmarole all over again.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Oh sweet, thanks for that, I'd looked but couldn't find packs like that - even just one or two is awesome.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Christ Almighty :stare:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

GodlessCommie posted:

Why is my tennis court employing almost 14,000 people?

:stare: It's Wimbledon?

I'd have to assume that the court has got its wires crossed with another building somewhere, or you've got a hold of a cheat building of some sort?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Bouchacha posted:

Coming back to this after years of separation. Can you build a car-free city with the right mods?

I believe Network Addon Mod (NAM) allows this, though the specifics of doing so are quite tricky as I understand it.

Never play without NAM regardless of your objectives though. Well, unless your objective is to increase your own sense of frustration.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Taeke posted:

I'll probably end up downloading tons of mods and just tinkering away with them.

Poor child of summer. You can understand this intellectually, but until you are sucked in yourself...

Anyway you and Rah! both have neat regions and it's making me want to play SC4 again!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

benzine posted:

Haha, glad you could resolve the missing tree. I've found SC4 is divided in three parts downloading stuff, getting the game to work and playing the game.

Can't say I'm familiar with this, how does SimCity 4 play? :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

benzine posted:

At least for me, it is a relaxing time, that's why I return to this game after 11 years. I put some music or a podcast and build after that I explore the city, that an adding new buildings or exploring a new feature is always nice.

After that you get a crash to the desktop....

I was only kidding around due to the ridiculous amount of time I've spent on finding and installing mods and making them place nice, but those are some nice shots you've got there!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

James The 1st posted:

I'm curious, does anyone still bother balancing the budget?

I do, because I love the gradual progression and feel it helps me build things up naturally.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Jugderdemidiin posted:

There are a few floating around, but this is by far the best one ever made by someone.

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/19711-riverrock-shopping-centre/

:sbahj: drat that's a nice mall.

I'm having a new crashing problem. It's not solved by saving. Because it crashes when I save. Fortunately it seems to just revert to the previous save, but seeing as it's pretty much even odds whether a save will work or crash, it's kind of a huge pain.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Rah! posted:

How do you do this? I've been playing this game for years, always wanted to do that, and never knew it was possible. :downs:

Go into the Sims-esque icon (the one after God and Build modes) and poke around in there; it's next to the day/night cycle settings IIRC.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tai posted:

Thread a bit quiet so thought I would share my work in progress gated community for rich folk

I love making gated communities for the wealthy, just because you get more opportunity to sculpt things real nicely. Same reason I like making parks. This is a very nice gated community and were I an unfairly wealthy sim, I would consider it for a home.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

MikeJF posted:

Be careful with on-street mods, some of them can seriously gently caress up the car traffic simulators by causing them to consider each time they pass a station as the end of a route and the start of a new one.

If it's RTMT I think it's okay, but that's pretty much the only on-street mod I trust.

Sounds like my kind of package Tai, and it's been awhile since I've played SC4 so I might just grab this once it's up and get to designing human settlements.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Adding to what zxqv8 said, the only real pitfall (outside of one or two bugs) in SimCity 4 is adding city services too early in the city's lifespan. You can easily leave yourself in the hole if you plop down fire, police, healthcare, and schools for your 1,200 resident village. Be like a real government; ignore the cries of the people until it is actually necessary. No fire station until a fire breaks out. No cops until crime is endemic or a riot occurs. Healthcare and education are completely optional, depending on the type of city you're after.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Downloading now; is there a slope mod in it?

Also semi-related, are there ANY good beach/seaside mods out there? I can do good stuff with seawalls and what have you but anything that just slopes down to the water tends to look awful for me and the best I can do is have a barrier of trees along every non-seawalled shore. :smith:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tai posted:

No slope mods in the download. It does have probably the best beach mod available. Has seawalls also and canals.

Alright, cool on both counts, thanks for the reply dude.

e; Just fired it up and poked around and this might be my favorite megapack yet. It's got a shitload of cool stuff and just about every mod I like to pick up on a reinstall. You're alright, Tai.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 8, 2014

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Hey Tai, found some missing dependencies;

NHP ADC Peristyle Avenue Roundabout
NHP LGBT Memorial Park
NHP ADC Buckingham Fountain BSC Parks

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I used to be the same way, but one time I needed a traffic solution in an incredibly busy city, and I played around with tram-in-road puzzle pieces. It was a lot of work but the end result was genuinely great and one of my favorite things I've ever made in a SimCity.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Hey Tai, did you mess with the trees and foliage in OldFashioned Pack? I ask because I just set up the Fhuzo region and it all works fine, except that no trees are showing up on any cities despite all being present on the region map.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Ah alright, thanks for the quick reply and I'll look into that :)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Yeah I can affirm that the ones Tai is recommending are pretty good, though it took a couple tries to wrap my head around how the parking lots pack orients. The big one that's missing I would recommend thoroughly is hooha's Modular Parking Lots http://community.simtropolis.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=user_activity&search_app=downloads&mid=90899 which are by far my favorite for making the kind of parking lot you get at a mall, a big box store, or a hospital.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tai posted:

It's a little disappointing that it is only the entrance to the parking lot that functions as a car park rather each tile in the carp park. Nice for eye candy but 1500 capacity is fairly low considering there would get used personally for malls, industry parks and big mass transit stops. None the less, it's by far the best car park modular set I've seen.

Yeah the capacity is lower than I'd like, but making car parks with multiple entrances helps that a bit. For appearance though, it is indeed the best.

In other news, I just (re)discovered that laying water pipes under roads deletes any name tags you've slapped onto them. I had my nice little 5,500 population Bobcat Island going along well, everything was named and ordered, and I was ready to add water. I usually lay water pipes under roads because they're a good guide to where water needs to go so I can slap pipes down without much thought. And then :suicide:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

FlyingCheese posted:

I've never used a sign in Sim City in my life.

My verisimilitude :ohdear:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

black goku posted:

your plugins folder is broken i d/l whole thing it says Failed - network error

Must have been a fuckup with the download, because I downloaded Tai's latest pack shortly after he posted it and it worked fine.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I have sometimes had it take twenty minutes and upwards to start, but it takes the usual two or three next time or after I kill the process and try again.

This game runs on software so arcane the Adeptus Mechanicus would brand it the work of Chaos. There is no reason whatever to expect identical conditions to yield identical results.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Avocados posted:

How do I keep/mod in demand of agriculture in my cities? I have a beautiful suburbia and tower district in my town, but when its finally time to add a nice countryside, there's zero demand. The only three mods I have installed are NAM, Mountain Theme Pack, and SimPeg Agricultural Mod. It's pretty upsetting.

The only truly effective way to ensure agriculture grows is to build it first. Pretty much anything else seems to depress demand to a greater or lesser extent, though the other industries are by far the biggest sinners there. There are some mods around that try to mess with this, but I don't know them off-hand I'm afraid.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Hey Tai, just wanted to thank you again for all the work you've put into the megapack lately, it's some good poo poo. I'll let you know if I come across problems.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tai posted:

No problems, and yes please do post about brown boxes. One fix is posted earlier that I've found so far so make sure to get it.

Yep, did that one and it looks good. While poking through the (astonishingly long) list of landmarks and such, I found that the Burger King ploppable (in among all the other North American style restaurants) is a big ol' brown box. I hardly did extensive looking so there may be others, but that's all I saw so far.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Kazinsal posted:

I deliver!

This is 1/16 of the full image.

1/4 size (8.23 MB PNG, 2996x2024): http://files.cordilon.net/SC4/Victoria-District-Quarter.png
Full size (128 MB PNG holy gently caress, 11984x8096): http://files.cordilon.net/SC4/Victoria-District-Full.png

This is a small (four large tiles) section of the region I'm working on from the region map in the thread OP. All the screenshots involved were taken at 1920x1080 at zoom level 3. The mosaic was put together by overlapping screenshots in Photoshop, with seams fixed up with the clone stamp and content aware fill tools. It took about two hours to take all the screenshots (all 74 of them) and edit them together. Most of the seams are fixed, but blending the water textures together was a bit of a pain in some spots so it kinda looks like rear end at lower zooms.

As I work on the region I'll probably update the mosaics, and create more for different sections. If people are interested, that is.

That's a lot of work to put into the pictures, but it's appreciated, there's so much detail. I really like what you've got here; I especially like how realistic that highway circular looks. Kazinsal's is really nice too! All those trees are being used to great effect.

I'm early into a new region that I'm trying to build up gradually from farming to urban, and I've largely abandoned efforts to make my farms look nice. Just slap them down like big American megafarms, good enough for me. I do wish it was possible to have farms that are automatically surrounded by fences/hedges/trees and so forth, because when you're filling a lot of space with them it becomes pretty drat time consuming to make each one look nice.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Had the worst luck with crashes today.

Accidentally moused over a TE piece with something I shouldn't have - crash.
Trying to take some screenshots - crash.
Just now thought "ah better be cautious just in case", saved, it crashed.

:negative:

Fortunately the last one did actually save my poo poo so I don't have to redo anything there, but man.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 16, 2015

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Hey Tai, found something; SAM street number 6 is missing, so the tile piece is a checkered box and when laid down, nothing is there. I believe it's the red brick with a yellow line one.

Also it occurs that you may want to include the RTMT stops on SAM streets in the next version of the megapack; http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/26725-jb-sam-bus-stops/ Really handy to have those if you're doing any extensive SAM stuff.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tai posted:

SAM street? I'm probably blanking and/or being dumb since I just got in from work....

Sorry, probably my fault for not being clear :p Street Addon Mod. http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/19734-sam-street-addon-mod-version-3/

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tai posted:

Never downloaded it. Maybe it's in OF 3.0. Can't say I've seen it personally in my regions what you have described.

Huh, must be something I did then. Cheerfully withdrawn!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

:negative: For some reason when I try and save a large region that has been fairly well built-up (whether with population or farms or whatever else doesn't seem to matter) I get reliable crashes. I've tried to put the finishing touches to a region that's about 60% farms, 5% town, and the rest mountains and forests like three times but no dice. I don't understand because I'm on a real powerhouse of a machine. I know that SC4 works or not depending on what the haruspex said about the goat's liver today, but this is galling because if there's one crash I shouldn't be hitting, it's any kind of memory or RAM limitation.

Well, here's my little region that I was thoroughly enjoying until I hit this wall. Was going to actually try to coat it in farms before going back to build it up.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

kinnas posted:

Have you run the ram patcher thing? I had a similar problem until I remembered to repatch my exe.

Oh motherfuck I completely forgot about this. Thank you! Goons are awesome. :allears:

Curvature of Earth posted:

It's a real shame that the SC4 community never made any open source clones. It's been done before; Transport Tycoon spawned two huge communities — OpenTTD and Simutrans — based on different open source clones of the game. (And if you think the Simtropolis forums are spectacularly nerdy, they don't even approach Simutrans' level of :spergin:.)

I agree that an open-source clone of SC4 would be truly brilliant, but I want to talk about Simutrans for a moment. Okay, I could talk about how although I happily play games like Dwarf Fortress and Aurora - or, indeed, OpenTTD - Simutrans was too :spergin: for me, but it's probably easier to point out that every single tree in the game world has its age tracked. I have no notion of what use this could even begin to have. But it's there. You select a tree and it'll tell you Poplar - 43 years or whatever. Simutrans is where you go when you stop being a basic bitch like we are, and want to make some real transport networks.

• Locked thread