Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I bought the Deluxe/Rush Hours discs years ago, and have installed/reinstalled the game several times over the years. I can't recall if I have or haven't applied the patch to the current version of SC4 I have running. How do I check and see if I have the patch installed or not? And why isn't the 'moneyeo' cheat working in my game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

benzine posted:

That's really great, if there is a SC4.5 goon game, I'm all in.
That does sound really cool. Are there any LPs of folks who've already done that? I wonder what happens if a mayor builds regional connections to a neighboring city while the neighboring mayor is still actively playing.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Alright, so i went through the fantastic OP and got SC4 Steam deluxe properly set up with parameters, the Original Goon Gigapack downloaded, unpacked and installed.

Before starting i went and downloaded Fhuzo region. The only problem is that i can't get it to show up in the "Load Region" list despite the folder being right there in the same location as all the others. Is this a common problem where i missed a small but essential step?
The extracted 'Fhuzo' folder ought to be sitting comfortably in the regions folder and look something like the below image:

Have you accidentally nested the region within a second folder, maybe?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Giggily posted:

Wait, there are parking lots in this game?
Unmodded SC4 at least has the parking garage, which does the same thing. The Old Fashion Pack Mk. II has several open parking lots as well.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

KillHour posted:

The only other one is SC4 Devotion, which has such a horrible community that I'm pretty sure even the server they run it on has autism.
There's also so much overlap in userbase that the relationship between SC4 Devotion and Simtropolis that the relationship between the two isn't even incestuous, because that would imply that we're dealing with two distinct entities.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I'm in for multiplayer SC4, now that it's shown that mod packs don't even need to be synched up. Send an invite to REDACTED if you want.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 20, 2013

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Breetai posted:

Tirol is on the move!
Make up mayor names next time! :argh:

You've got a pretty awesome transit system set up, though.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

Do you guys still give your cities "serious" generic city names? I used to but now I just go with Pooptown, Gayville, and other classics like I used to in my SNES Simcity days. Coming up with a serious name for every little square of the region map is a pain in the rear end anyway.

Yeah. Half of them are just names of other places, though, like when I was reading up heavily on the Crusades suddenly there was a city named Acre and another one named Ibelin. The other half of the time, I just made up -burgs and -villes and -towns and occasionally "[Name] Township" for 'cities' I knew were never going to be made into proper cities and/or were going to be several small hamlets on the same map.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

HappyHelmet posted:

If I was just working on a single tile I'd be fine with stuff like that, but generally I'm building things on a regional scale. The thought of having to meticulously place puzzle pieces over 2-3 large tiles in a region is too much for me.

What puzzle piece work at the regional scale are you doing? Normally I'll set up a regional rail network, and then within a city there'll be a tram or bus system which hooks up to the rail network. Regional stuff gets up quick and easy, and then the municipal stuff gets fleshed out in more detail.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Inverness posted:

I saw agents being mentioned a few pages back in the context of Cities: Skylines.

What are agents and why is this bad?
It's basically that every car and pedestrian rendered is an actual thing being kept track of. In Sim City 4, the cars you saw were just abstractions representing other data; if there were lots of cars on a road, that meant traffic volume was high there, and if there were few cars, that meant traffic volume was low, but all those cars you saw weren't persistent objects in the game associated with a single address and driving to specific jobs and all that, they just appeared and disappeared as needed to give a visual representation of density and usage.

Agents aren't some abstract thing, by contrast. That car you see at an intersection is driving to a specific location, will stay there until whatever work is done, then drive back to a house, and then will drive to work the next day. If there's a traffic jam, it's not because the game wants to illustrate high traffic density, it's because a bunch of individual agents all decided to take the same route at the same time, and each of those cars is an individual agent that probably regrets being stuck in traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

They're not common in places outside of the US because, like say for instance European countries, have a bunch of old garbage their ancestors left laying around and it's cheaper to just build around it than to demolish it and put down good city structure. It has almost nothing to do with city planner's aesthetic sense.
tbf a lot of European towns started that way. The Romans not only loved establishing settlements with a gridded road layout when possible, but they also preceded the US in terms of uncreative place-naming.

• Locked thread