Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm slowly trying to learn this game, and have a couple of questions:

* What do the RCI bars actually mean? That is, if all three of them are way up there, what should I be building?

* Is there a way to check for unemployment? I guess this is related to the previous point because I want to know if I have enough C and I for all my citizens to be fully employed

* My first zone was a mishmash of all three zones: Residential and Commercial throughout the middle with Industrial in one of the corners, but recently I've connected to a second zone where I've built nothing but Industrial with the intent of having most of the my first zone's jobs be located there. Do I need to let time elapse in the second zone for the zones to be filled up with factories and stuff so that the citizens in the first zone have jobs to move to?

* On a related note, I also wanted to move Dirty Industry out of my first zone. How do I do that? I raised I-D taxes to 20%, but it seemed that they were just all too happy to keep paying out.

* Is there a way to check what I need to provide next for the zone density/quality to upgrade further?

* Finally, the auto-roads always split the zones into strips/blocks. Do I ever miss out on any buildings, like large skyscrapers, because of this?

1. Click the RCI thing to get a more complete breakdown that should help.

2. Try the jobs vs. population graph. It kinda helps, but can also be misleading. I can't remember what the game sees as working ages, or if it makes the distinction at all.

3. I think you mean Cities within a Region. Just use zones to denote R, C, and I. You need to let some time elapse in both cities. It gets annoying.

4. Dirty will always keep paying out even at 20%. It can be useful, though it feels cheaty. What you have to do is just bulldoze every dirty building manually. No new dirty will grow with taxes at 20%.

5. Well make sure you have plenty of power and water for higher densities, at least medium. As for the rest, services and demand cap busters like parks, reward buildings, neighbor city connections, and regional R and C population.

6. Perhaps, most of us zone manually at this point. We create our own streets, and then control the size and orientation of individual zone lots. Someone pointed out earlier, that at least for R the maximum lot size is 4x4. But the game is smart enough to convert something like 4 1x1 lots to a 4x4, or 2 2x2 lots, eventually when density goes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

heladocasero posted:

How do I set up a neighbour deal? I've made linking water pipes and power lines and so on but I can't see any way to get it started, or clicking somewhere in the budgets..

Yeah it's in the budget under Neighbor Deals, but I'm guessing you know that despite your phrasing. In that case, sometimes you have to pop over to the neighboring city and let the simulation run for a month or two, see if you can activate the deal from that side, if not, switch back over, rinse and repeat. If that doesn't work then you need to provide us some more details, like pics of the way it's set up.

Giggily posted:

Man, I'm having a really weird issue where it seems like my factories/farms don't have any employees as far as the traffic sim is concerned, and instead just produce magic freight trucks.

I've noticed this as well, but just assumed there were not any employees at all at those locations yet. I-A and I-D, I think, will spawn even if there are no employees in the city or region. Yes, this makes no sense since it's producing freight, but...at least your freight trucks are not being delayed by emergent traffic behavior, right?!

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Death Himself posted:

Is there a particularly good region I could download to play on?

Check page 5 (I think) of this thread for a plugin-independent region that everyone loves named Fhuzo.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

I'm glad I'm not the only one who inevitably names a smaller city tile Smallville in regions. Also: Metropolis, Gotham, etc.

WMain00 posted:

Do you guys set your building settings to change every 5 years, or build everything at once?

I've had issues using "everything at once" when set to Cheetah (as usual). It will sometimes immediately spawn a swarm of the same building if I've just laid out a zone while paused and then hit the gas. So, for a while, I did all 4 tile sets but set to 5 years.

Lately though, I've used "everything at once" and not had those issues. :iiam:

I used to use just one tile set for every 50-100 years to try and superficially simulate the changes in architecture a city goes through...but I would get bored before it made any difference.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Figured I'd drop a plug for our "multiplayer" Goon Test Region: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3539325

We've just begun our third round of testing, and have already narrowed down a lot of the issues that came up in the first two rounds. I'm thinking this one will last longer.

Read the OPs, and the last couple pages of the thread. We should have plenty of lots available still, and it's really not too hard to set up at all.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Paul.Power posted:

Oh well, could just try patching it I guess :)

Is there a readme.txt or an .ini file in the installation directory? That might give you the version number.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Masa posted:

It's a bug that has something to do with their huge lot size. That's also why universities and country clubs have lots of crime.

Holy crap, how did I never know that. And the Shift 1-9/F1-F9 thing. A decade of playing this and it still makes you feel dumb sometimes.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

null_pointer posted:

The non-standard fused grid layout I linked to earlier is sort of what I'm looking for, only with industrial.

*PUNCH* posted:

Ugh, gently caress these guys.

So I guess we're all familiar with the Fused Grid? I was going to make a little post eventually about how I tried a proof-of-concept, entirely FG city, and it's turned out really well so far, but I'm not sure it's worth it now.

*PUNCH* posted:

There are quite a few things you can do. GrandFromage discovered something rather interesting in his LP: all industrial buildings within a particular zone will route traffic through one road-connected building, so only one building in a given zone has to have road access. The building everything routes through is called an "anchor building." This gives you more leeway zoning-wise: there's no need for a grid. However, all the buildings which sprout off the "anchor building" will be of the same type (dirty, manufacturing, or HT;) so it's a little limiting that way, but also nice in terms of controlling what grows. A nice little twist if you're looking to build pristine hi-tech office parks.

Holy. poo poo.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

jadebullet posted:

Just wondering. Is there any way to make traffic be more persistent? It seems that every car and truck spawns, lasts a second, then disappears.

Might be outdated, or there might be something better, but this is what I used to use: http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/23362-persistent-automata-mod/

Though if I recall, it was a bit taxing on performance in an already performance-challenging game.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

g0lbez posted:

My town keeps complaining about long commute times and I can't figure it out. Can someone give me some advice? I've included pics of the town if that helps

Rocky Mountain High indeed. Awesome. Now build a giant slide all the sims can ride down.

GodlessCommie posted:

Is my plugin folder too big?

Hey! That's the same file path I have name and all! :tinfoil:

jadebullet posted:

Edit: By the way, does anyone else build there cities the way I do? I start them as a small town linked with other small towns. Then the sectors that I designate as a city, I slowly begin growing and expanding until it is an actual city. Or do you guys just jump right into city layout design?

Sort of like this. I think it dawned on me from the Grand Fromage LP that you make a highway and rail network first, and then build towns and cities in natural places. Water is the obvious one. Especially the mouths of bays or rivers. Others are places where the Rail network meets a major Highway, or where two Highways cross. I think water crossings with bridges are a natural place as well.

But like Punch said, this is a lot of work, and you end up spending hours building and planning before you ever actually start a city. I have a San Francisco right now with a complete highway network, but got burnt out before building the first city.

null_pointer posted:

Regarding the Fused Grid layout, I would agree that it works incredibly well in SimCity 4, even if it is unrealistic. The use of parks in every grid-square, while expensive as hell to maintain, really cranks up land desirability and value. It's almost as if the Fused Grid was some sort of SimCity min-maxing tactic that bled into the real world. Almost.

This is how I felt too after learning about, and implementing, it. It's loving perfect for this game, but I realized all the issues it might have in real life. In fact, I did stumble onto some of those issues in the game, particularly when it came to industrial zones while trying to keep the same pattern. I will say that the two parallel artery system of the FG is probably my favorite part. So simple, yet it really does mitigate traffic issues, while creating space for government services and rewards.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

null_pointer posted:

I feel like I missed an up-thread discussion about the Fused Grid's real-life drawbacks, but other than some points about the park areas becoming effectively unusable as a park/destination, I can't find it. It seems pretty smart to me. I have the pattern on my graph-paper notebook in front of me and the way that the inner streets never extend across the grid square is nice; keeps the residential neighborhoods as either cul-de-sacs or (at worst) low speed traffic areas, due to all the ninety-degree turns.

The "alleyways" in between the clusters of grid-squares are also nice, as they *do* create destinations of either commercial areas or, later on, high-tech jobs. This is in addition to what you mentioned earlier about reward buildings, as well.

Can someone school me on critiques of the Fused Grid pattern (either elsewhere in the thread, or just in general)?

Punch had some critiques in recent posts.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Giggily posted:

I like the random, lone trailer house that is convinced that it has no road connection.

By the way, this looks wonderful. Very nice.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Regarding that industrial anchoring trick where it's the only one with road access: Aren't you boned if a fire breaks out and you don't have the landing strip?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

*PUNCH* posted:

The objective in Sim City 4 is to collect all the sims. That's part of why Sim City 5 is such a major departure from the series.

Gotta tax 'em all.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

The Slippery Nipple posted:

Is there some way to use one-way streets effectively? I've never bothered with them but I'm sure I'm missing out on some terribly efficient way to manage traffic.

You use them to force traffic to main arteries, and to lower thru-traffic, but you have to make sure the Sims can get home too.

So in a grid you would alternate every parallel one way street to go a different direction.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Cugel the Clever posted:

My one complaint about buses is that sims will walk a mile to reach a job, but too often refuse to walk twenty feet to actually get on a bus.

Speaking of this, we were having some weird pedestrian pathing with one of our buffer tiles in the Goon region: Sims were getting off at a transit center in the middle of a large tile full of SPAM farms, and they were walking all the way across the map to work. It must have been like 20-30 squares. I have never seen this, and it was with NAM on recommended settings.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

benzine posted:

That's like 500 meters, sure I'd walk that, most of them are lazy, but NAM change th.

Halfway across the largest tile is only 500 m? I thought even with NAM, Sims only walked a max of like 6 squares?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

benzine posted:

Because as they arrive from some mass transit option, they can only walk, but as long as it is under certain time limit is fine.

Ohh I see. I must have never noticed it before because I've never had a city tile without plentiful bus stops.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Medium Style posted:

If not, can city A sell to B and then B sell to C without any negative effects to city B?

You got it. Just make sure to run each city for a while so it updates and syncs up.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

benzine posted:

The res commute to the closest open job of the same wealth level, they've certain preferences according to their IQ.

So, this really doesn't sound much different than the agent system in SC2013. Is the job the abstracted Sims take persistent? As in, does not change, until a closer job that's appropriate appears? How often does SC4 run this check?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

whiteshark12 posted:

Is there any way to pick up agricultural demand after it flatlines to 0 from growth? I wanted to fill the tile but I expanded the town too quickly and now there's 0 demand for it.

I don't think so. I think once there is enough pollution, and maybe development, it's unrecoverable no matter what CAP reliefs you try. I could be wrong.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

SourceElement posted:

I like to think that sim got off the monorail, ran down the street as fast as possible, climbed up onto the highway and flagged down the first passing bus.

And then told the driver the bus could not drop below 50 MPH or it would blow up.

"Pop quiz hot shot!"

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Iunnrais posted:

I also like to stick a single square of light residential next to the work building, making it a family farm.

Oh cool. I'm not the only one who's done this. :cheers:

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Manac0r posted:

So I have Simcity 4 deluxe, installed NAM v31, Opera house/Space Port fix, and SAM am I good to go?

Nam 31 isn't finalized yet, so I'd use 30, and I'm guessing you meant SPAM?

Other than that, yea you're good to go if you've never played before. What you have is a good start.

Once you get close to getting bored, you'll probably want to get stuff like CAM and individual buildings.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Try software mode. As stated in the OP, it alleviates many issues.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Yeah now that I think about it, it shouldn't have anything to do with your graphics card. If I'm thinking correctly, the city tiles are just image snapshots taken when you last saved and included in the city tile save files.

Do you have any kind of hard drive fuckery like automatic backups or synching software that could be interfering with those snapshots saving? At least as long as it isn't something simpler like alt-tabbing or switching windows.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Jastiger posted:

That low I can ask forgiveness rather than permission

Derail, but that is so true. What have we become...

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Tai posted:

XL is better in my view without mods then SC4...

:stare:

Tai posted:

Now if only some company took sim city 4 and used it as an example of a decent city builder and enhanced it. 10+ years and waiting...

You must mean someone taking SC4, leaving the graphics as-is, and then what? Adding curved roads? Well I'm sorry to be the bearer of shockingly bad news, but no developer or publisher will take on a losing proposition like that, and modernizing the graphics unfortunately means stepping down the scale of your sacred cow.

Listen, I understand. SC4 isn't just the shining golden example to you, it was (is?) for me, and it was/is for many others. I understand that you, like I (and again many others) have invested ridiculous amount of time into SC4. Into learning, using, and abusing its intricacies. Insane amounts of hours into searching for mods and dependencies, getting them to work, putting together your own compilations. Etc, etc.

I get it. We get it.

If you're uncomfortable moving on, then fine. But just own up to it. It's sad to watch someone obfuscate it under so many layers of bullshit. Yes, Skylines has its issues. Yes, its scaled down from SC4, but by necessity unless you want a game in 2015 to look like a game from 2003. But Skylines is also the closest we're going to get to SC4 for now until they maybe and hopefully release a sequel. Not to mention the additional content and mass amount of mods to come.

If you're so comfortable with SC4 and fear change, then fine. Just loving say so and stop making arbitrary and transparent declarations of your disgust that waste all of our time.

On the other hand, if you're willing to embrace change and let go a little bit, then give Skylines an honest chance this time. Maybe get some content/mods. Maybe make your own as it's fairly easy.

Third option is you're just going to get defensive, but I figured it was worth a try anyway.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Tai posted:

A lot of it stems from the lack of effort that developers put into a fairly obvious cash cow that could be milked if they did it properly. I shall try to be less bitter and butthurt about a lack of SC4 v2 for you sweetie. I promise!

That's the kind of attitude that gets you a Cities XL, and not one anyone wants anywhere near any game that you are hoping will be beyond decent. No matter the genre.

There's a difference between milking a cash cow and releasing a profitable, and good, game, and I think Paradox/Colossal Order subscribe to the latter. Which is what you want.

And I know you're being snide, but do it for yourself. Not any of us. That was the whole point.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't think the graphics are why the game had to be scaled down compared to SC4; SC4 had cutting edge graphics in 2003 and the scale was the same then as it is now. I think the chief culprits forcing a scaledown are taking the simulation off the grid, and tracking individual agents.

You're right. It's not just the graphics, but having a deeper/ less abstracted simulation that requires more processing power. But that's always been the logical next step up from SC4.

I mean the greatness of SC4 isn't just that it's either a pretty model city builder, or a city building simulation that mostly works, it's that it's both of those things at the same time. You wouldn't just want an SC4 that is only putting together parts to make pretty regions that don't do anything. I'm not sure that would even qualify as a game. I believe Skylines is legitimately and wholeheartedly trying to achieve that balance, and that it's been fairly successful, with a good chance that success will increase.

Apologies for the derail, although it's been a bit pertinent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Rah! posted:

Nope, I'm talking about Elite: Dangerous. I think EVE is too much even for me. Kerbal Space Program looks cool though.

KSP is amazing. More science spergy though, but you actually learn cool things without even realizing it because explosions!

• Locked thread