Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

A Violence Gang posted:

Just noticed this interview with Vogel from last month; nothing terribly exciting but he mentions Avadon 2 is looking like a fall release. Also screenshots.

The first might not be anyone's favorite Spiderweb game but I'm still looking forward to actual new content and modern polish.

I'm mostly just hoping it'll get released soon so he can move back to a series (or start a new one) that doesn't bore me to tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

This is a drat good deal on a lot of Spiderweb games:
http://www.gog.com/promo/rpg_open_worlds

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thuryl posted:

Yeah, the way Avadon handled player decisions was a bit of a misfire. The design intention (as stated on Jeff's blog) was "you're representatives of a power that everyone has to respect even if they hate it, so you can get away with being an rear end in a top hat and rarely face any real consequences" but the way it was implemented, the result from the player's perspective was "it doesn't matter what you do". Moral choices in games only work if they have either in-game consequences or serious emotional blackmail backing them up, and Jeff just isn't that good at emotional blackmail. It probably didn't help that the time spent coding the new engine meant that correspondingly less time was allocated to area design and writing dialogue: it shows in the length of the game (it's significantly shorter than average by SW standards) and the abrupt ending.

I wish that game was shorter, to be honest. The missions/story became such a slog. I hope to be pleasantly surprised by Avadon 2, though.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

ProfessorCirno posted:

Someone isn't a true shaper :rolldice:

Regularly absorbing your creations and remaking them is a good strategy in some games, bad in others. As I recall Geneforge 5 is one where you want your creations to live as long as they can. Dunno where Geneforge 1 falls in there as I always went Agent :smugwizard:

In Geneforge 1 you want to just make 4 or 5 vlishes, or whatever your high damage creature is, send them in, kill as much as they can, recharge, and make new ones. Your shaping bonuses seem to grow faster than the individual creations' leveling, so you can just make new ones and dispose of them whenever you want. Plus, it just feels right.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

JustJeff88 posted:

To be fair, setting up a Virtual Machine works well and is pretty intuitive, but I see your point.

The original Nethergate, though not hosted anywhere, is available for free from Spiderweb if you just ask, which is what I did. I just send an e-mail asking where it was to support and they sent me a reply with the game attached. Nethergate was the first game that they did that was written in a 32-bit architecture, and it runs just fine for me with no extra work on various versions of Win7x64.

How is it different than resurrection? Does it use the Exile engine?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Zereth posted:

Excuse me, you're a Shaper, you don't loving throw in with heretical sects like these. Destroy all threats to the Shaper regime and then get your rear end home to report. :colbert:

I did this on my most recent play through and it was great. :)

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I like both games a lot, and haven't played the re-remake for quite some time, but the biggest difference is probably the skill system.

In A1, everyone has the same available skills, and you put points into the stats and skills you want. You can specialize very carefully if you want.

In EftP, you have classes, basically, and the skill system is more of a skill tree. You build up towards passive/active skills that you really want.

The main quests are pretty much the same, although I believe the newer one has an extra quest or two, and maybe a new area. It's a little more streamlined in EftP, but I was thankful that the game still had a world map and the ability to move with the number pad. What I love about A1, 2, and 3 is that you can pop around checking for secret walls with the number pad and move around the world map really fast.

That said, I don't recall there being secret walls in EftP, but you just looked for buttons (kind of pixel hunting to an extent) and pressed them to open up secret rooms/passages.

I replay A1 thru 3 every couple of years, but I haven't replayed EftP. That said, I am extremely excited for Jeff's remake of Avernum 2, and if it gets the same treatment as Avernum 1 did, it's going to be great.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

The Moon Monster posted:

If I were to replay Avernum 1 I'd definitely go with the original, I just like it a lot better.

So glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. Go for it, you won't be disappointed! :)

(I'm still extremely excited for a remake of A2, though.)

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Eddain posted:

I'm playing Avernum: Escape from the Pit right now cause I loved Exile as a kid, but man, is there a way to make loot on the ground more noticeable or something? I'm basically just spamming "g" every few tiles just to make sure I'm not missing anything.

I don't know of any way to fix that. Stuff is fairly visible, and it's usually garbage anyway. I wouldn't expect to find anything too valuable lying on the ground for the most part. Maybe after a big battle, just for stuff to sell off.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Morholt posted:

How much does escape from the pit add? I got the bundle from gog and am just getting into Avernum 1 and I wonder if it's worth it to "upgrade". I'm kind of digging the oldschool interface.

I really enjoyed playing Escape from the Pit once, but I had already played Avernum 3 or 4 times before that, and still return to it when I want to run through the game. Probably mostly nostalgia, but I like pushing against walls and looking for passageways, and I like the skill point system a bit more, even if it's not a smooth.

Escape from the Pit adds nicer graphics, an updated skill system,and as I recall, some extra content (but nothing mindblowing). Also, of course, you don't have to change your resolution to be able to see anything since it's newer, and so on.

This is a better answer: http://www.avernum.com/avernum/avernumFAQ.html

But basically, it's great but hasn't replaced Avernum 1 for me.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Bold Robot posted:

What is Avernum 3 like? I really loved Exile 3 back in the day but I never played the first round of remakes. The interface looks kinda clunky. Is it worth checking out?

I didn't like it quite as much as Avernum 1 and 2, but that was probably because the world was SO open and there were so many towns, many of which seemed fairly generic. If you liked the gameplay of the first 2 (which are great), but want a lot less direction, check it out.

It doesn't take place in . - - Avernum - - ., for the most part, which takes away the charm, somewhat. :)

I've not played the Exile games, so I can't help with a comparison.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

JustJeff88 posted:

Avernum: Escape from the Pit just hit GOG. Given how long it's been out, I didn't expect to see that. I hope that this means that Crystal Souls will be out soon.

Yeah, it'll be out next week (barring any issues). I know because a friend of mine...

(I'm beta testing, fired it up on Steam today. It's good.)

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

JustJeff88 posted:

but I'm curious after what happened this morning.

After what happened?

Edit: Beats me, though. He had us test installers for standalone versions as well, both of a demo and the full release, so I know that Steam is not the only platform. I would imagine the same release date, but I don't know.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

JustJeff88 posted:

I've read snippets here and there that Avadon is a trilogy itself, even though it's a new IP and not a remake. Perhaps Avadon 3 is his next project, with the idea of then doing Ruined World and beginning to remake the Geneforge Quintet after that.

From the final email to the beta testers for Crystal Souls:
"Thanks again! Off to the iPad version and Avadon 3 ..."

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Zereth posted:

How do I get to the body outside the unpickable door in the Barrier Tower? I couldn't get there when I first came by because the piercing crystals aren't powerful enough.

I seem to remember slipping through a crack in the wall itself in Avernum 2 (previous remake).

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Rough Lobster posted:

What's the name of that anti-magery priest-themed group? Do they have a presence in A2?

Anama. I don't remember them being in 2, but they show up after 3 at some point.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Tylana posted:

As a random question, does anyone recall which Geneforges can run windowed? Even back in the Exile days, Jeff's games feel weird to do fullscreen. Admittedly, I'm a "mIRC is always on" kinda guy.

I don't recall, but I believe that 4 and 5 were in a newer engine that supports that. Have you considered doing a Windows XP Virtual Machine and just stretching that to whatever size you'd like? That's how I handle stuff like that sometimes.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I like the first remakes (Avernum) the most, possibly because they were the first ones I played. Mostly I like dancing around bumping into walls (searching for secrets) with the number pad at high speeds, and I liked soaring around the overworld map in the same way. I didn't really like the "hunt for buttons" secrets in the reremakes, although it's just a preference thing. Mostly I loved the actual speed of getting around in Avernum.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I feel kinda bad for Jeff in the case of that review. An ultra sperg 'review' with a thumbs down ends up at the top of the review docket, it'll definitely affect the sales. I'm sure it's frustrating as hell, after working to remake a game he probably wasn't thrilled about remaking, and trying to do his best to please everyone, and then a very vocal minority gets the premiere review spot. And the review barely makes sense, honestly. I think he probably made a mistake by responding to the review, but I understand the frustration that made him do so.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Not clear which game you're talking about.

Avernum 1: Help the commander of Fort...Dranlon? In the northwest Eastern Gallery area.
Avernum 2: Clear Sss-Thsss' old island fortress, which has been co-opted by the Empire. I think Fort Emerald has the quest.
Avernum 3: Assuming it hasn't changed from Exile 3, complete Shayder's quest to be a diplomat to the troglodytes.

This guy spelunks.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I think there's a debug code to un-anger towns, if you want to go that route. You probably picked up an owned stick or something.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I'm just posting this stuff here for posterity. These games were apparently released as freeware according to wikipedia so I'm not terribly concerned about it:

code:
Some people told me they couldn't find the registration codes anywhere else, so I'll put them here :
Mac :

Serial number : 13706024 Registration Code : 8566464 Verification Code : 410
1) Your scenario registration name is: MEIERS
2) Your registration number for Prelude to Pestilence is: 1632120

Realmz Castle in the Clouds Name : Name: MoonDark s/n: 181560444
Realmz Assault on Giant Mountain : Name: MoonDark s/n: 403273572
Realmz Mithril Vault : Name: RABREAUS s/n: 3249720

Windows :

Serial Number : 13706024
Registration Code : 7995820
Reset Serial Number Code : 410
Registration Name : : MEIERS

Prelude to Pestilence : 2846681
Assault on Giant Mountain : 2731903
Castle in the Clouds : 1850227
Destroy the Necronomicon : 300754
White Dragon : 302208
Grilochs Revenge : 687525
Trouble in the Sword Lands : 1533542
Mithril Vault : 162011
I realize that this is the Spiderweb thread, but there's a connection...

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Yeah it looks a bit closer to something like Avernum (like, the non-fancy newer ones), where you use the number pad to zip around. I would definitely much rather play this than something like Avadon. Looking forward to it!

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I really liked Nethergate: Resurrection, and I'd like to play around with the original someday. That's not a possibility, then, is it?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I pictured them as little raisiny Jawa men I guess. Definitely not old ladies with trunks/dongs coming from their faces.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

JustJeff88 posted:

Can anyone recommend a way to contact Jeff directly? Part of me wants to ask him why he pretends that Nethergate Original doesn't exist, but mostly I want to ask him if he could include GOG codes for buying his games straight from Spiderweb instead of just Steam codes. I prefer to buy directly from Spiderweb for obvious reasons, but I prefer GOG to Steam for my extra key.

jvogel@spiderwebsoftware.com is where I’ve emailed with him before for beta testing and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Awesome post. Avernum 1 and 2 (Windows, the first 'remakes' of Exile, but not the 2011+ versions) are some of my favorite games. I like the remakes too, but I keep going back to these "originals."