Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

thebushcommander posted:

So given the apparent shortage of GS6 Edge devices already. Can I walk into an At&t store today, switch my plan to mobile share value with 2 lines, and 2 new GS6's and then port the second line over from VZ tomorrow? My gf is moving from verizon to my account on At&t, but she can't come to the store with me until tomorrow. Of course, she's an iphone junky, but says she wants to switch if I say so, but I'd rather her at least hold the phone etc. The problem is they may not have any in stock tomorrow. Don't even know if they have any now honestly.

Honestly, it's day two and we haven't sold a single galaxy so far. I have no idea how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Poz posted:

Are the 128gb models really not available in store? When I go through the upgrade process on wireless.att.com it marks them as "Web Only" and that's pretty much the only reason I haven't gone in store and pulled the trigger on one yet.

Yep, only online.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Ok. So I have officially quit AT&T again. And there is zero chance I am looking back. If someone else wants to take over the OP, feel free. I will try and update it one more time to have the relevant information of today. Then I am DONE!

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

obeyasia posted:

What caused you to wash out?

Michael Scott posted:

Story time please. What happened?

Tired of lying to customers for a living. Tired of trying to pedal a security system to people who CLEARLY don't want it. That and crippling anxiety and depression all mixes into a bad work environment.

There was no climatic point of leaving. However I timed my quitting to when my VPGM of north east was in town so I could quit directly to his face and tell him everything wrong with his company. So I guess that's kind of climatic...

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I know this is off topic, but I am loving my new non-att job.

Mr. Powers posted:

When you hit your upgrade eligibility on a Next plan, can you just turn in the phone and BYO at that point?

Officially, no. But since I don't work there anymore, here is how you do it.

When you return your phone, you sign a thing saying that you don't get your phone back for any reason. Then, you buy a new phone.

However, the very next day you can return the phone with a $35 restocking fee. Then, you just go byo.

Just know, this is a waste of time for the sales rep, and they wont be happy you did it. If you want to hide your shame, return it to another store.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

Because then people whine about "carrier bloat" on their phone.

Which is worse. Because I consider it to be necessary, and not carrier bloat. I feel like if I wanted AT&T Mobile TV, I would download that. But no one wants it.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Shinjobi posted:

Figured it was time to break off from the family account by now.

Unrelated. If you can stay on a group plan with other people, it will almost always be cheaper than breaking off onto your own plan. never get an individual account unless you are not paying for it.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Just so everyone knows, the OP is HEAVILY outdated now.

If anyone is interested in taking over, I'll retire this thread. Otherwise, carry on.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Ugh. It figures that this is the first Windows phone I am actually interested in... and it's AT&T only.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Silly Burrito posted:

Are they allowing unlimited users to end their contract early because of the FCC's decision, or are they still fighting that?

If you are an unlimited user, sell your account. People will actually pay to take over your contract.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Ev posted:

I'll spare everyone in this thread the details, but the short version is some idiot at an AT&T store deleted my grandfathered unlimited data plan, leaving me with no data plan. I called 611 and spoke with someone who was very helpful and understanding about the situation and she said she opened a ticket to get my unlimited plan restored no later than December 1 (and that I should get a text once it's done) and temporarily put me on a 3 GB plan just so I'll have data access of some sort on my phone, but has anyone else had this kind of thing happen? And if so, how much trouble was it getting your unlimited plan restored?

I didn't sign anything in the store, the guy there didn't tell me he changed anything, I honestly had no idea until I was on the phone with AT&T support and the woman I spoke with asked me if I had changed anything on my plan recently and when I told her I hadn't she then mentioned that my unlimited plan had been removed.

The good news is, att is far less strict about the whole thing than verizon. You will most likely get your unlimited data back with that single phone call.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Suprfli6 posted:

That's what I figured.

The website has a Mobile Share Plan for $175 with 5gb of shared data. Do you have any idea how much more the actual bill would be when all the taxes/fees/whatever are added to it? I'm trying to see how much I'd actually save if we did switch.

That is quite a loaded question. There's no really good way to answer what your taxes and fees will be because if varies WIDELY from state to state. For PA (where I am), I generally told my customers to look for an extra 18%-20% in taxes and fees.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

adorai posted:

retention matters less than new business.

"Reduce Churn"

Those words still ring clearly in my head from when I was at AT&T.

Three Olives posted:

I just bought a AT&T GoPhone Moto E as a workout phone since there is no word on bringing back the Urbane LTE which would have been perfect for me. There are still no restrictions on sticking a postpaid sim in a GoPhone, right? It was $20 cheaper for the locked version and I really don't give a poo poo about being locked carrier with a phone that I bought specifically for being destroyed falling off my bike or drunkenly getting in the pool with later this summer.

Some would like you to think that you cant. But AT&T has it in their internal documentation that this is definitely permitted.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Three Olives posted:

Uh, why did my data plan get mysteriously upgraded to Mobile Share 20 from Mobile Share 15? I didn't request an upgrade and I'm still being charged the $100 that I was paying for Mobile Share 15.

Darilian posted:

Occasionally we'll see a loyalty bump up and it appears out of the blue. Not sure what the conditions are, but enjoy it!

I've never seen loyalty bumps but nothing says that policy cant change now.

I know when 10GB used to be $100, and they made the change to 15GB for $100, I was just searching reciepts of people I recently upgraded (or even upgraded in the past year) and bumped them up. For some STRANGE REASON, bumping customers to the higher data, despite it not costing any more, paid me commission. So it's very possible someone out there is doing the same thing.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

They're even waiving the ETF again lol

I'll probably still keep it but if they raise it again next year I'll probably be done

It's part of your agreement. They can't charge more unless offering you an out within the first 30 days. Though, that certainly hasn't stopped them from raising prices before.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

TheWevel posted:

My wife and I are moving back into our house soon and I'm curious about going all in with ATT. The house was wired for gigabit fiber while we were gone so I'm thinking something like this:

-100Mb Internet
-Her iPhone, and maybe an iPad on a data plan
-DirecTV or UVerse TV

I can't seem to bundle all of this on the ATT website, will I have to go into a store to get all of this set up? My wife is currently on Verizon so we would be porting in.

edit: I like the idea of having one bill for everything. We were DirecTV customers before so I'm ok with DirecTV service.

From what I understand, AT&T is phasing out uverse completely. They are going to start pushing customers onto DirecTV or DirecTV Now.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

grymwulf posted:

Yeah, we will need a kind soul to supply us with a way of accessing the website now

Does anyone know the dealer code of an authorized retailer? It's a 5 to 6 character code with letters and/or numbers.

Examples I made up:
HDR5GB
5QT77
R7HY76

Someone look at their paperwork from a transaction they just did at AT&T. The retailers Dealer Code might be somewhere on it.

They may have changed paperwork though. It's been awhile since I've worked there.

Potentially, check the receipt of a corporate store. The employee's ATTUID might be on the receipt.

Examples I made up:
JD744H
RM2278
KC134G

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

AA is for Quitters posted:

I don't have plat... what are you using it for, and what's your email? I checked my paperwork for my s8 and it isn't on there, and I don't want to lose my job...

Myattmst.com

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

AA is for Quitters posted:

Mine doesn't work for that, but mine also had a massive issue with getting my IMO started. I tried both dealer codes we have at work, neither wanted to work. But i have access to opus with that dealer code. Go figure.

Also, is there a way to reprint the fricking shipping labels for next? I tried reprinting my RISA/Contract which is usually where the shipping labels are, and it didn't want to reprint. I have to mail my s7 back in, and i can't get figure out a new shipping label, and i don't want to deal with NSS, or the customer equivalent.

:/ If I were to guess, it wants your ATTUID. I wouldn't ask you to hand that out.

EDIT: At this point, if a nice AT&T goon would like to make a new updated OP, I will close this one.

Beefstorm fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 23, 2017

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

The LG G5 is really bad and has multiple known issues. Holy hell don't buy a Lg G5.

Actually, don't buy LG anything.

It seemed like every LG phone AT&T got was just destined to not do well.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm still on the old unlimited plan but I traded in my iPhone 6 to get an iPhone 7 for "free" last year.

If I pay $325 to pay off my Next plan, will the phone be unlocked? Seems like it might be worth the trouble if I can net $100 selling my iPhone 7 rather than trading it in.

Also, does that end the monthly bill credits I'm getting from the iPhone 6 that exactly offsets the iPhone 7 Next payments? In other words, will my iPhone 6 credits carry into my iPhone 8 payments?

Your phone can be unlocked after you pay it off. You need to request it. But it shouldn't be too bad. They seem to have improved the process over the years.

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Ultimate Mango posted:

After 2 1/2 hours on the phone and two trips to my closest AT&T retail store, and I think things are mostly sorted. Indeed the new Unlimited plans are capped per device not for the whole plan, so it's 22Gb soft cap for each, which is enough.

The iPad they couldn't do over the phone, since it was a separate plan and they could not combine them. Had to do it in store and they put in a SIM (weird because the iPad can now see the Apple SIM and the ATT physical SIM card both). The old iPad p,an still isn't really cancelled, so I need to see how that goes.

And of course the billing people couldn't help since my wireless and wired lines are on combined billing, and nobody know how to even reach that group any more. Good times.

If it's right though it's $50/month in savings. And calls to relatives in Canada will be included.

So I am confused. I can't tell, but by the way you described it, it sounds like the rep did some false churn to get that sweet commission payout.

Did you already have an AT&T data plan on the ipad before switching it to the group plan? Or was it just Apple SIM provided service?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Ultimate Mango posted:

I had the OG unlimited data plan from the first iPad, and had kept rolling it forward. It was a stand-alone plan and was active on the internal sim.
They claimed they couldn’t turn off that plan on the internal sim and add it to my group plan. Did I get fleeced somehow and not realize it?

It somehow made sense that they could not turn off that internal one since it was active and on a separate account but was pretty easy to just pop in a new sim and add it to my group.

Ok yep. All sounds kosher.

They can't move your OG unlimited signed up on the ipad to a group plan.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

kingcobweb posted:

They fired me on the 11th so I have no idea

If you feel like answering, what happened?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Anti-Hero posted:

This is a really stupid question, and I likely know the answer. When I’m on WiFi my streaming speed is limited through that connection, not what my ATT plan is?

I recently switched to the new 3mbps unlimited plan. My expectations are met when streaming off cellular data at about 480P. It seems when I’m on my home WiFi connection the quality doesn’t improve, at least on YouTube which is the only service I use on my phone. I’m not being throttled somehow at the hardware level by my streaming plan, correct? That can’t be right.

That would be a very unique development if they are throttling you at the hardware level...

I have no recommendations.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

WarMECH posted:

I currently have a Mobile Share Value 15GB w/ Rollover plan with 3 lines and I pay $147 a month total. We use Wi-Fi calling in our home because the service is lovely inside the building, and each line averages about 3GB of data use a month. Sometime in the next year we want to add 2 more lines to this plan (kids) and I was looking at switching to Cricket which would end up costing us $130 all-in for 5 lines.

Then I learned that AT&T has a prepaid service with comparable cost ($150 for 5 lines of 6GB data, but not sure if that is taxes/fees included?) so I might do that instead of Cricket. Any drawbacks to switching from post- to pre-paid with AT&T? Do these plans allow Wi-Fi calling as well? It looks like I would end up saving about $60 or more per month compared to my existing plan once I get 5 lines on it.

AT&T prioritizes their network. If a prepaid and postpaid customer both try to post to Facebook at the same time, postpaid will be given priority.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

there is a legit culture difference between ATT and Verizon.

Can you expand upon this? Having only worked for AT&T, I am curious what major culture differences there are.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

kingcobweb posted:

FYI for people buying phones directly from ATT: buying phones full price makes you pay the same upgrade fee that putting the phones on installment does, as of February. Yes really!! The salesperson isn’t trying to scam you!! There’s no way for a rep in the store to dodge this without violating policy.

Wow. What a scam...

But this pretty much sounds like classic AT&T.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

obeyasia posted:

Just wait till all the cool poo poo you could do with OPUS is missing when you get saddled with OPUS Mobile.

Does anyone at AT&T corporate or otherwise have any new opinions about OPUS? Are you still using OPUS Mobile?

Are your lives good, bad.... ?

Whats going on in the world of AT&T retail employment at the moment?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

kingcobweb posted:

The new and updated OPUS looks like Windows XP, but it seems to basically do all the same things it used to.

I’d rather use OPUS than any customer-facing tools. I think it’s by far the most useful tool ATT has that I have access to.

Are you still forced to use mobile?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

FunOne posted:

I canceled my DTV service and now they want me to send back only _some_ of my equipment. What do I do with the rest of it?

Recycle? Unsure... But just curious, what equipment do they not want back?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

FunOne posted:

An older receiver that is on my account and still works, but isn't one of the newer ones. They also didn't ask about the network injector or the SWM power brick.

Their email specified 4 receivers with serial #s,so they were specific about what they wanted.

Interesting.

Changing my original response. I'd hold onto them for a couple of months, in case AT&T decides they want those back too.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

MrNonacho posted:

My SIM card is a couple years old. Will I have to get a new one for 5G?

I always recommend getting a new SIM card whenever you change phones. There is occasionally new firmware, and some features don't work on old SIMs. When the LTE switch happened, lots of people needed to get a new SIM to enable LTE. I assume the same thing with happen with 5g?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

angryrobots posted:

FWIW, when I went to ubreakifix a couple months ago because my S10e refused to update and they manually updated for me - when the phone rebooted it displayed the 5Ge symbol.

I know the ATT 5Ge isn't real 5G but interesting that the provisioning for it was apparently in the phone's firmware update and not the SIM.

It was literally just a logo change in the device software. There was no actual change to the network.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

angryrobots posted:

It doesn't display on all towers, but where it does display, I find that speed is consistent and doesn't vary like non-advanced LTE.

So I guess you're saying that my phone was already using advanced LTE on those towers, and the update changed the graphic to show that?

Edit - I'm seeing published tests that put ATT's average advanced LTE speeds at 28 Mbps with max being about 40.... But I'm seeing 50Mbps and max of 108 down/12 up which I thought was pretty good. I'll take the network improvements even if it's fake 5G.

Check this out...
https://www.macrumors.com/guide/5ge/

Looks like you might be right, that it's for advanced LTE. But I feel like I remember reading somewhere that it was for all of their LTE.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Nyc_Tattoo posted:

This afternoon I received a call from Barbara from the office of the president of AT&T. She stated that my phone information was updated on their network and I could now access VoLTE.

Did she specify anything more about what they mean by, "phone information was updated on their network"?

I am curious if they specifically force provisioned the feature on your line, or added the IMEI range to the 'compatible' list for their systems to not confuse in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Nyc_Tattoo posted:

Pretty sure she just provisioned it on my line. They tried to say my account didn't know what kind of phone I had (BS, I mean they have my IMEI), and said they updated their systems with what phone I had and what android version I was running so their network would recognize that I can run VoLTE. (Her words).

So the thing is, these carriers basically have giant database of IMEIs and IMEI ranges, what they are, and what they are capable of. Hence why I asked what she had to say. But based on this, it's not clear what they might have done.

If I had to put money on it, they just forced the feature onto your line, rather than actually fix their IMEI database. They want people buying those AT&T branded phones after all. :(

Beefstorm fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 12, 2020