Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Sleipnir posted:

I just received notice that my unlock request was accepted for my iPhone, but I'm not yet ready to (or totally sure that I will) switch to another carrier. If I complete the unlock by restoring my phone, it will still work as normal on AT&T until I actually switch over right?

Unlocked means it's capable of being used on any GSM carrier. It doesn't boot you off AT&T's network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Some Zero posted:

Is it worth heading into a store or calling up CS to see if they can help me out? Or am I SOL and have to pony up 200 bux for a refurbed old phone?

A refurb for $200 isn't a bad deal, considering that used S3s average $300 on ebay.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

c0ldfuse posted:

If you have a Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket (AT&T) -- DO NOT UPGRADE TO JELLYBEAN.

Non-rooted stock phone. Super unstable, software crashing on a regular basis for no observable reason (both during use and at random). I haven't owned a phone I don't crash once in a while, but it's happening every other day now.

This is rather alarmist, don't you think?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Vinlaen posted:

So... my options are an extra $15/month for the 5 GB tethering plan, or an extra $45/month for the mobile shared plan...

Don't forget the Added Value™ of unlimited voice and messaging!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

THF13 posted:

My Dad is on ATT with unlimited data, if I get him the new LTE enabled Nexus 7 would he be able to plug in his SIM from his iphone into the tablet and get LTE?

You probably don't want to do this. The iPhone SIM is provisioned for a smartphone data plan, and putting it into a device that AT&T's network knows is not a smartphone will cause problems.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

Anyone have any information about when AT&T will get the Galaxy S4 Mini? My wife and I are on her dad's family plan and we're coming up on the two year mark. Dad-in-law doesn't plan on upgrading but we do - he wasn't sure we'd be able to if he doesn't but I'm looking into available phones anyway.

I like the S4 fine but my wife thinks it'll be too big, we have S2s currently and I guess the Mini will be about the same size as the S2. If it's out on AT&T by the time we have to make the decision, that is.

Just get the Moto X. Same size as the S2 and it's not an afterthought.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

Huh, that does look like a good option. I guess I got a bit of tunnel vision looking at the S4/HTC One/Nexus 5 for myself, didn't look at other phones until she said she wanted something not big-as-possible.

Looks like it's $50 right now through AT&T, is it possible to get the 32gb version through them or would I have to go through MotoMaker and pay $150? I'm not sure the extra cost is worth it, even if it doesn't have a microSD.

The $100 difference makes it not worth it. Plus, with all the cloud storage services out there you should never have to worry about onboard storage.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

obeyasia posted:

This just in, AT&T will discount your (mobile share only) plan by $15 when you do next or bring your own device. Basically accounting for the difference for not having to subsidize your device. Hooray.

http://feedly.com/k/193iTIf

Good. Gooooood.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

GoodBee posted:

How does tethering work, billing-wise? Do you need a special plan?

My phone has a tethering option but I've never tried it. I want to know what happens if I touch that button but I don't want to be charged a bunch of money. I have the old unlimited data plan.

I'm not an ATT rep or anything but it looks like tethering is verboten on the old unlimited plans and if you're caught you'll get bounced to a non-unlimited data plan.

Tethering is included with the new mobile share plans, though.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

KingKapalone posted:

Why has the price of new in box iPhone 5Ss gone down so much on ebay relative to what the newest iphone normally goes for? Looking like they are around $500 instead of the $600 previous ones have gone for.

Supply and demand.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Beefstorm posted:

Are you sure google isn't forwarding the texts to your cell number?

Also what plan on you on? If you are using a smartphone without texting, you are probably on a weird old plan.

I was on a weird old family plan for a while and used Google Voice for texting. As far as I know there was never a problem with extraneous text charges. There is undoubtedly something wrong with the Voice settings if it's dinging your AT&T bill.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

grimcreaper posted:

I double checked Voice and all the settings are the same as they have always been. texts off, no sms alerts, etc.
Im pretty sure it has to be Voice, or maybe Hangouts.. Hangouts doesnt give me an option to not get SMS alerts, so that actually might be the culprit since i realized all 6 of the incoming texts initally showed up on that first then came through Voice right after.

Do you use Voice+ on Cyanogenmod, by any chance? That's the only scenario I can imagine that would be sending your Voice messages through Hangouts (I used to do the same thing).

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

smackfu posted:

If someone came in and wanted a non-smartphone, is there any on AT&T that is better than the rest?

My girlfriend has some kind of ancient Nokia for work, and it's held together by tape and good wishes, but she can't use a smartphone with that SIM.

I'm probably better off just buying the same one she already has on eBay.

Why can't she go through her employer to get a replacement?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Tellara posted:

I signed a 2 year contract in January and got a smartphone (brand new customer). I paid about $140 up front to sign up and get the phone, and now I have a monthly bill of about $92 for 2GB data, unlimited messaging, and unlimited minutes. If I click through on the AT&T website and "switch" to Mobile Share Value, my bill just goes down? It says my Mobile Share plan fee goes down from $55 / month to $40 / month, and my smartphone fee goes from $40 / month to $25 / month.

That's a huge savings. Why would AT&T do this? They have a signed contract with me to pay the other price for 2 years. What's the catch? Should I do it?

Yes, do it, and fast.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Thermopyle posted:

AT&T is a DSL provider. Uverse is their package that includes all the stuff you don't want. Just order DSL.

http://www.att-services.net/att-dsl-direct.html

Note that it's much slower than cable.

Execept you can buy Uverse internet without paying for phone and TV :confused:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Vinlaen posted:

EDIT: Oh, and you have to trade-in your phone after 12 or 26 months? That's not the plan for my wife then. She doesn't give a crap about her phone... She just wants an iPhone and she had the iPhone 4 for like 4 years until she left it out in the rain.
You don't have to trade in anything - you just have the option of doing so without paying an additional fee.

Most of the time you would actually pay more money per month with the two-year contract versus Next + device payment. Then after your Next payment period is over your bill goes down since the device is paid off.

http://myattrpc.com/

Use that tool to compare the pricing.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Helpimscared posted:

Please unlock the bootloader for the Galaxy Note 3, its really annoying being restricted to the default kernel and having the inability to use ASOP roms

Please buy a phone that does what you want out of the box.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm wondering if this request can be done:

I'm currently on the $60/month AT&T Go Phone pre-paid plan.
My girlfriend is on the 10 GB Mobile Data Share plan with herself, her mother, and her brother. She's the "main" line on that account. The total amount for all three of them on that line (they all have smartphones, if that matters) is ~$130, because of some discount she gets through her employer. I looked at the prices in the OP, and I'm thinking that the plan must also have been cheaper when she signed up, because otherwise that's around a 40% discount...I've never seen one that high, usually they're around 15-20%.

We would like to add me to the line. That parts not tricky, I'm guessing. Though we want to make sure it doesn't bump the price way up, if we can keep it at about the $50/line price we're at now, that would be great. But if she was locked in at a lower plan rate, then might adding a line break that? I do know the most recent upgrade was used about a year ago (she got the iPhone 5s,) so if that didn't "break" the cheap plan price, then in theory adding a line shouldn't?

Secondly, here's the tricky part:
If I get added, I get an "upgrade" to use, yes? (We won't be using AT&T Next, just the regular 2-year upgrade plan.)
I would like to use that on (probably) the new Motorola X. However, I would like to use the online Motomaker. Is possible to set up my line on her account, so it has an available upgrade, but just not use it right away, and let the upgrade "sit" until the Moto X is released? Then if I go to the Motomaker site and put in the account details, it will still see the upgrade for my line on the shared plan?

Can't speak to your plan details but the Motomaker site has the new Moto X now available for order. It'll ship next week if you get the 16gb I believe.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, but I don't want to order it at full retail. I want to get an upgrade on a new line and use that.

You can do exactly that.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

terre packet posted:

Crosspostin' from the iOS Apps thread:

I've been using DataMan Pro to track data usage on my iPhone, and it has been absolutely fantastic. However I now have an iPad on the same AT&T Mobile Share plan. DataMan doesn't support any kind of syncing or sharing across devices (I asked the dev). Is there an elegant solution to tracking shared data usage across two devices?

myAT&T app can show your usage, among other things.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/myat-t/id309172177?mt=8&source=IAPUMH00C00mat00L&wtExtndSource=AH_Itunes

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

emocrat posted:

So, if I want to buy a new Moto X on NEXT, but also do something with Moto Maker, how would I go about it?

Can I purchase it in store and get a code for the website or what?

From my own research on this topic it looks like nobody knows what's going on with Motomaker codes and Next. You can certainly use a 2-year upgrade through Motomaker but that may or may not be ideal.

Unless any of the AT&T reps in this thread can weigh in to the contrary, if you really want to have a customized phone on a payment plan the best option for you is to buy a Pure Edition with Motorola's financing.

nimper fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 14, 2014

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Christoff posted:

Yeah I saw that article too. At this point do they even have any incentive to grandfather unlimited data? No one else offers it that doesn't have poo poo service. Not even sure if sprint and t-mobile have unlimited anymore.

Unlimited is cool but when you do get throttled it's pretty unbearable to use

Verizon stop grandfathering right? Or you'd lose it if you upgraded your phone or some poo poo?

I know they offer a ton of family share plans "share 1000 gbs!" whatever but I'm a bachelor over here :shrug:

As far as I know, T-mobile and Sprint both offer unlimited service without throttling. But then again, they have more limited coverage areas.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Christoff posted:

Have had friends with both and yeah the service/coverage is pretty terrible. At least around here

Yeah it's a tossup. Sadly they just don't have the spectrum to cover what ATT/Verizon do. It's going to get better once they shut off the legacy networks and transition those frequencies to LTE but until then, ooof.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

emocrat posted:

Yeah, I dunno but for some reason the Pure Edition stuff apparently has a T Mobile SIM included. Kinda weird.

It's not "apparently" -- it actually literally really does have a T-Mobile SIM included. It even says so before you order one.

But yes it is carrier unlocked so put in your ATT sim and you'll be up and flying.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

coronaball posted:

Perhaps some current ATT customers can check my work here. I'm looking to start two new lines of service on 2 LG G3, as today my Sprint contract is finally over (FUCKSPRINTFOREVER). I only need the 3GB data plan

It looks like I have two options:

1. pay $0.02 for both phones on Amazon with no NEXT. Pay $168/mo for the 3 GB plan through Amazon. Get no bill credits

2. Pay $19.34 for 24 mos on NEXT = $464, -$300 in billcredits for 2 new lines = $164. Pay $128/mo for the 3 GB plan through ATT. With what I save on the bill, I'd make up the $164 in roughly 4-5 months.

Am I missing some hidden fee/charge, or is #2 not the vastly superior option?

Also, my wife and I only use about 1.5-2 GB of data per month maximum since we've been on Sprint. Is there any reason to think we'd use more data on ATT? We're both connected to WiFi all day usually, but I take 1 business trip for 4-5 days monthly where I'm not on WiFi and dicking around with my phone quite a lot.

If you can get both phones for basically $80 down (2x $40 activation fee would apply), it looks like going on contract instead of Next is actually the better deal. I don't know what Amazon is telling you but AT&T would charge you $120/month for 2 phones on contract with 3GB.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

coronaball posted:

You're right, that $120 is the same price Amazon is quoting. And then tax and bullshit probably makes it the $128 number. I'll do that then. I have no use for NEXT since I always wait at least 2 years to upgrade.

$128 would be your pretax monthly charge on Next. $120 is pretax on contract.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

BobbyDrake posted:

My wife and I are on the 10GB mobile share plan. Is tethering allowed on the 10GB plan or should I get her an LTE iPad?

All the mobile share plans allow tethering :)

http://forums.att.com/t5/General-Account-Questions/Mobile-share-value-plan-and-data-tethering/td-p/3905433

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Suprfli6 posted:

I currently have the old unlimited data plan on my iphone but am going to be getting a 6, and it looks like I can't keep my data plan when I upgrade. Is that true or am I missing something? It's not a big deal since I'll probably be switching over to a family shared data plan (and won't get throttled after 5gb hopefully) but I'm just curious.

Right now our total bill is in the $240 a month range for four phones (unlimited iphone, 2gb iphone, 2gb for a windows phone, and a flip phone with no data plan) and the site shows a price of $170 for a 10gb shared family plan, would we actually end up paying around that much or would all the other fees and charges bring that price back up to around what we're paying now? We have something like a 21% discount through one of our employers for the family and I'm not sure if that's figured into the $170 figure or not.

Yeah that $170 sounds about right if it's just you getting a new phone. Everyone else would roll over to the new plan at the no-contract price.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Suprfli6 posted:

What do you mean by rolling over at no-contract price? Their next phone upgrades would be more or something?

Yes, that's right. Apparently this is causing some bill shock for people who switched to the new plans and now when they want new phones they are surprised to see the bill go up after a device payment or upgrade pricing is applied.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Chocolatebuddha posted:

I cannot honestly see the benefit of paying the full cost of a phone every time I want a new one.

This is the behavior that AT&T is trying to change, not unlimited data. They don't give two shits about how much data you use because they make so much money on that regardless.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Seventyfour posted:

My wife and I are currently under the 1GB mobile value plan, both off contract, so are paying $70.00/month ($25.00 smart phone, $20.00 dumb phone, $25 one GB). After years of taking pride in buying the cheapest voice-only burner phone available, I bought a refurbished iPhone 5 and am going to add it. Neither of us use a lot of data, so just need to bump the data plan to 2GB (though more would be nice, don't want to pay for it).

Adding the iPhone to the account will add $5.00/month, and going up to 2 GB will add $15.00/month, right? The AT&T plans seem pretty simple to me, but is this the cheapest way to go w/ AT&T? Is there any promotional stuff out there to get more data at a reduced cost? (I'm self-employed, so no employer discounts. Are there discounts for the State Bar of Texas?)

Also, assuming that my refurb iPhone is fine (was originally with AT&T, factory reset, IMEI is clean), is it pretty quick/easy to bring in my current phone to a store and have them dupe the SIM?

There's no 2GB plan anymore, they bumped it to 3GB for the same price :toot:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Caveat emptor on that -- it looks pretty good on its face but the way it works is a bit screwy. Your data bucket and your rollover bucket are separate, and the rollover bucket only gets drained if you use up your data bucket. The rollover bucket resets every month.

quote:

If you do not use your full allotment of plan data in a given month, the extra amount automatically rolls over and is available to be used within the next month.

Within a given month, you will use your plan allotment first, before you begin using your Rollover Data. Unused Rollover Data does not carry over.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Maneki Neko posted:

Yeah, that seems pretty straightforward.

It's fairly straightforward, but the rollover resetting at the end of the month is a pretty big contrast with T-Mobile's concept of keeping the rolled over data for a whole year before it drops off.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Kuhmondo posted:

Wait, so how does that work? I unlock my current 6+ then trade it in for a T-Mobile 6+? I thought T-Mobile phones already come unlocked.

I understand that unlocking the phone only happens when ETF is paid. For clarification purposes my plan is to switch from AT&T to T-Mobile and still use my current 6+ that gets unlocked from AT&T after the ETF is paid. Is this plan still possible if T-Mobile requires me to trade in my current 6+? Or will I have to purchase a T-Mobile branded 6+?

Sorry if i'm missing something here and all the questions, i've been with AT&T for many years and never really planned to cancel or anything of the sort. Now that T-Mobile has that family plan i'm highly considering it because i'm the only one on AT&T in my family while three members are T-Mobile.

Silly Burrito posted:

You have to trade in A phone. The woman at T-Mobile told me that people would go buy a cheap Go phone and trade that in to qualify.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

thebushcommander posted:

Can someone tell me what the monthly cost would be for a family share plan with the following options, I can't find anywhere on the At&t site where I can price out a plan, everything is just giving me options as if I am an existing customer even though I am not logged in.

http://myattrpc.com/

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

RichterIX posted:

Apparently the Lollipop update is live for the LG G3 in the US, but I'm unfamiliar with how AT&T does updates. Do they roll them out regionally or something? Because when I go to "check for update" it says my device is up to date.

Like most updates it's a phased rollout over the next week or so.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

DrBouvenstein posted:

Is there any way to do a Next upgrade that lets me also use the current $140 off promotion for the Moto X Motorola is running on the Motomaker website right now?

I seem to remember some talks about how Next would only sometimes work with the Moto X, and you'd get a code to input on the website and it didn't always work, or the stores would be "out of stock " of the codes (how are you out of stock of something virtual?) And you might not get all the customization options?

I'll likely get the Moto X either way, but paying for it interest free over a year and a half is better than one lump payment.

Doubt it; the $140 off applies only to the off-contract price. You should get the Pure Edition, anyway.

motorola.com posted:

‡Save $140 off an off-contract Moto X, regularly starting at $499.99. Moto X upgrades are available at an extra cost as stated in Moto Maker. All discounts reflected in cart.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

DrBouvenstein posted:

What are the key differences between the Pure Edition and regular Moto X? I thought that Moto's implementation of Android was pretty bare-bones as it is, pretty much just Vanilla with better voice activation and the active display stuff?

If you get the AT&T version you'll get AT&T's bloatwarevalue-added apps with an AT&T logo on the case and it will be carrier locked to AT&T.

If you get the Pure Edition you'll get no carrier bloatware, no carrier logo, and it will be carrier unlocked out of the box (it comes with a t-mobile sim though).

All versions have the voice activation and active display stuff, though.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

madkapitolist posted:

I'm looking to upgrade from my s5 to something with an unlocked bootloader, is there an easy way to see which devices have unlocked bootloaders?

Nexus 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Aranan posted:

Awesome. Is it the AT&T Visual Voicemail or the AT&T Voicemail Viewer?

It's this one, at least according to the AT&T support page about visual voicemail.

Voicemail Viewer is for Uverse residential accounts, it seems.