Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

bobkatt013 posted:

The only one longer would be a Sunnydale one.
"It actually does sit on a hellmouth" summed up so many similarities beautifully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
How did I miss the hippie guy who plays a hippie whenever someone needs a hippie?

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

How did I miss the hippie guy who plays a hippie whenever someone needs a hippie?

Who they put in a scene with Martin Starr because they were both regular cast members on Freaks and Geeks. That scene made me smile.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Just saw the film, I quite enjoyed it. I don't think it's going to convert any non-fans, but it's definitely a quite enjoyable continuation.

Was the actress playing Carrie different from the original one in the show? You didn't really see Susan but she looked different too.

Somewhat disappointed that Weevil rejoined the PCHers, but I guess it fit the ending.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Yes, the original was Leighton Meester

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

irlZaphod posted:

Was the actress playing Carrie different from the original one in the show? You didn't really see Susan but she looked different too.

She looked so familiar but I couldn't quite place it. Makes me think of Suzanne Somers though for some reason.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Only two posts about the fact that we're getting a Rob Thomas-helmed Ryan Hansen/Dick Casablanca spin-off in the style of Party Down buried all the way on page 27? :psyduck:

This is kind of old news but I can't believe no one talked about it or even seemed excited at the idea

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Got a more reputable source than that, because it looks like a joke.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Twee as gently caress posted:

Only two posts about the fact that we're getting a Rob Thomas-helmed Ryan Hansen/Dick Casablanca spin-off in the style of Party Down buried all the way on page 27? :psyduck:

This is kind of old news but I can't believe no one talked about it or even seemed excited at the idea

I'll get more excited when it's closer to happening. I don't think a web exclusive show is high on anyone's priority list, especially with Rob working full time on the iZombie pilot.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Twee as gently caress posted:

Not really interested.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Any idea what the box office receipts look like this week?

Saturniid19
Aug 1, 2006
brought to you by North Central Positronics
17th place, $490,000. :(

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Not great, but keep in mind it's only on 347 screens and there's not much of sustain campaign as far as I can tell. Its per theater average for the weekend is $1,412 which is decent for its situation.

Any decision about a sequel was made last based on last weekend's numbers.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Zypher posted:

Not great, but keep in mind it's only on 347 screens and there's not much of sustain campaign as far as I can tell. Its per theater average for the weekend is $1,412 which is decent for its situation.

Any decision about a sequel was made last based on last weekend's numbers.

I was pleasantly surprised, the theatre that I saw it in on Friday was packed! (It is the only theatre in my city that has it playing, though.)

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Stonefish posted:

Got a more reputable source than that, because it looks like a joke.

Deadline Hollywood isn't a joke site at all.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Yeah Deadline is arguably the most reliable Hollywood news source.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
"a comedy featuring RyanHansen attempting to put together a Dick Casablancas spin-off of VeronicaMars" sounds ridiculous. But you never know.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
If it was a 5-10 minute short i could see it working, i have a harder time imagining it as a longer series, but who knows.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Rob Thomas sent out a backer update about it and apparently he wants to get the OTHER Rob Thomas to play him. In case you were wondering what they were going for.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The perfect opportunity for Veronica to team up with an old friend of her father's, Hank Dolworth, a P.I. in a neighboring beach town who has experience with this sort of thing.
Just dropping in to say I checked out Terriers because of this post, and it is a good show that I would recommend.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Oasx posted:

If it was a 5-10 minute short i could see it working, i have a harder time imagining it as a longer series, but who knows.
Put it on Adult Swim and have the Childrens/NTSF people make it

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Aardark posted:

Just dropping in to say I checked out Terriers because of this post, and it is a good show that I would recommend.

You just made my day! I didn't discover Terriers until long after it was canceled and added to Netflix, shortly after my wife and I binge-watched our way through Veronica Mars. But it's great -- another Southern California neo-noir series with brilliant dialogue and lots of humor. It makes sense that they might take place in the same universe.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

DivisionPost posted:

Rob Thomas sent out a backer update about it and apparently he wants to get the OTHER Rob Thomas to play him. In case you were wondering what they were going for.

Yeah okay, twice is enough with the RT mentions.

Twice in consecutive episodes, even :v:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aardark posted:

Criminally underrated show. Some of the best chemistry on screen.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
There is a preview up for the audio version of the first Veronica Mars novel, it is narrated by Kristen Bell : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ynLSsxhzyo

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I think it's too bad the book seems to drop Veronica's narration. But having her read the book to me almost makes up for it.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

howe_sam posted:

I think it's too bad the book seems to drop Veronica's narration. But having her read the book to me almost makes up for it.

The book review I read mentioned that the lack of first person narration hurt it, so I was very excited for the same reason when that announcement came today.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oasx posted:

There is a preview up for the audio version of the first Veronica Mars novel, it is narrated by Kristen Bell : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ynLSsxhzyo

Must acquire :jerky:

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I'm usually not one for audio books versus just reading, but narrated by Kristen Bell is really appealing.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
But does she do an impression of Logan's voice? This is important.

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
She does, and it's hilarious.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress, where can i buy the audio book? Amazon audio thingo says not in my area

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

Rocksicles posted:

gently caress, where can i buy the audio book? Amazon audio thingo says not in my area

Did you try Audible? If you use a coupon code, you can usually get your first audio book for free.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I feel like Tina Majorino needs a sandwich. Can we get a reboot so she can afford groceries? And Della Pugh can sing the opening titles.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
So are we getting a sequel or what?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Bumping this thread because if anyone else was like me and didn't have Season 3 because for whatever reason it was absurdly expensive, it's down to $12 right now

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Medullah posted:

Bumping this thread because if anyone else was like me and didn't have Season 3 because for whatever reason it was absurdly expensive, it's down to $12 right now

I bought it last time it was on sale. Then a few days later, the whole series went up on Amazon Prime.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Dr Tran posted:

I bought it last time it was on sale. Then a few days later, the whole series went up on Amazon Prime.

Well poo poo that's even better!

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
I'm doing a rewatch and never quite figured out what Beaver's threat to Dick meant - "remember Sally?" Was that referenced anywhere else and I just missed it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Transmodiar posted:

I'm doing a rewatch and never quite figured out what Beaver's threat to Dick meant - "remember Sally?" Was that referenced anywhere else and I just missed it?

It might've been when he ordered a transexual callgirl to meet up with Dick. Dick was about to round third base when he realized the surprise, and Beaver used that as leverage for embarrassing Dick.

I think. It might've been something else, but I don't think Dick ever ACTUALLY raped anyone or did anything so bad as to fear reprisal beyond embarrassment.

• Locked thread