Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Possibly Chicken posted:

8 year old me woulda been all over that poo poo

Who wouldn't have been (although I would have been happier with meatballs)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think that is the meatball O's. Think I see a few of them floating in there.

Huh. I thought those were frank slices.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

This is a sex thing isn't it? I bet this is a sex thing...... why is this a sex thing?

There was a jelly? All I saw was boobs....

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Desperado Bones posted:

It's not a cultural thing, it's Mexicans from North Mexico having bad taste. I hate ,and everyone I know, hates Clamato. Still, my uncles that have lived on Tijuana for a long time love it.

I am pretty much whiter than Wonder bread, and I get a hankering for Clamato (straight) now and then. I just chalk it up to my love of umani and the inability to get Snap-E-Tom any more.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Funny story about A1. It was originally marketed in cans as a ketchup alternative. Then they switched to bottles and people started complaining it didn't taste right. So A1 had to reformulate their recipe to add the metallic tang left from the can days.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SubG posted:

[citation needed]

I don't believe A.1 would have originally been marketed as an alternative to ketchup because it predates the rise of ketchup as the universal condiment. A.1 was being sold in the 1830s, when ketchup was still just something your Mom would make at home. It didn't become something anyone would make an alternative to until after companies like Heinz were making it, around a half a century after A.1 was originally formulated. And I don't think A.1 ever came in cans---at least none of the old print ads dating back to the late Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century show anything other than a bottle:

I will have to track down the book I read it in.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

It was probably by Bill Bryson, he lies a lot and never checks any facts; hope this helps. (As a rule, any and all interesting stories about the origins of foodstuffsanything are lies.)

No, it was a more serious book that talked about the decline of American tastes. The author also mentioned the fact the metallic taste of pineapple-grapefruit juice due to the canning has become de rigeur and it has hard to find anyone who knew it without that taste.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Nostradingus posted:

Shut up and post gross food.

Mountain oysters. Better known as bull testicles. People in the midwest go crazy for them, almost every small town in Kansas has a bull ball festival at some point. Usually eaten fried.

I first ate those in California. Pretty much straight off the ex-bull.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Gumby's is a chain in college towns, so you won't see them outside of places like Gainesville, Chapel Hill, etc. There was one in Athens back in the day that was open until like 4am and we would eat the motherfucking poo poo out of pokey sticks after getting home from downtown after bar close.

For those of us without one, what in the blistering green gently caress is a pokey stick? (So I know whether to mock it or not.)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Just sayin' there, chaps/chapettes, if we are talking about (bad) food, it's not unreasonable to expect someone to tell you what a regional dish is, ya smug bastiches!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

"Heat Challenge" foods always piss me off. There is no flavor to them, it's always heat on top of heat. I grew up around spicy foods and I love spice in general, but there are always chili-fests and fairs that focus on that one aspect of the food and the poo poo they put out is almost always awful because the cook doesn't taste the food (because it's too loving spicy).

There used to be (may still be there - dunno) a place in Peoria, IL called Grainger's Pizza and Wings that had, if I remember correctly, their Eye-Water, Nose-Running, Forehead-Dripping Wings. These were so hot a friend and I had soaked our shirts after 5 apiece. OTOH, there was a really lovely chili-garlic-tomato flavor to the sauce so there was that too.

(Why am I smirking about someone calling themselves Wasabi the J bitching about heat challenge foods?)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's where animals pooped out of though.

And it's not like it wasn't cleaned and cooked at high heat...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Desperado Bones posted:

Seeing this, I have a question to American goons.

Do you guys have pizza with beans, or chochinita pibil? I hope you do....because over here we do and I don't want to be in a weird country. Pizza "a la mexicana" with frijoles rancheros. Pizza with cochinita pibil, and pizza with carne al pastor.

Man, I wish we did. Dunno about the frijoles. The last two sound amazing though.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Not My Leg posted:

It confused me at first because Capsicum is the genus that includes all bell peppers and chile peppers (also, at first I read it as "slices of capsaicin").

But Marge, it gives it that south of the border flavor!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Creature posted:

If it's anything like fried fritz, you can feel yourself having a heart attack in the very first bite.

What is fried fritz? All I could find was sort of a chicken hash, which not only sounded good, but not all that fatty...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Creature posted:

Fritz is a kind of heavily processed sausage sold in South Australia. I guess you'd call it luncheon meat or something. In the other states they call it 'devon' and get really annoyed if you call it by any other name. I can't find a very good picture of what it normally looks like so here's a variant.

It's fed to small children on white bread with tomato sauce. Appetising.

Cheers for the clarification!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I hope you call it a Poop Dogg

Actually. it is a Poop Doggy Dog.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Looks...

soooo...

delicious....

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

im pooping! posted:

theres animals or something making noise in the background of the video and i dont know if it's intentional, but i feel like those two bitches are gaslighting me the whole time and i cant understand why they would do that, it it an australian thing?

Get your meds adjusted, bro. Nothing there.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

empty sea posted:

As for anti-food, I make a good ham and bean soup that everyone seems grossed out by. It's smoked ham hocks and black eyed peas in a crockpot for 12 hours with cayenne, garlic, salt and pepper. I add hot sauce and cheese, crumble in corn bread. It's so good, especially the softened cartilage, it tastes like a superbomb of pork flavor with the texture of jelly. No one will eat it with me. No one will eat beef tongue tacos with me, either. Wtf

What's your address then?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

:hfive: Tapatio is my number 2 hot sauce. Then Sriracha.. then, I guess Louisiana, but everything just runs together into general 'cajun hot sauces are all p. much the same' and 'other non-cajun hot sauces are similar' after that, except with a side category for sriracha where it rises to #1 depending on the type of food.

Sriracha is my go-to hot sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

im pooping! posted:

So what's the point of the little bottles of vodka then?

The old lady squirts them up her bum to help her get ready for the mandingo party later.

• Locked thread