Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I seriously thought when I started reading it that, that was the idea. The power levels and reference to 'rare items' and all that.

Also isn't this Nitro the one who announced her presence by gutting someone and then fighting Zebra? I'm not sure we even need any foreshadowing at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I don't remember if they really defined capture levels as a concept of skill and preparation until later on in the manga, but I was summing my feeling at the very start of reading Toriko. At the beginning it sounds like a really good pitch for a JRPG, and a lot of it feels inspired by that.

Unfortunately, I also feel like the manga has kinda lost that element once they moved to the Gourmet world, which rather sucks to notice.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ottumon posted:

in which the power of Enbu is revealed to be really dumb. The little Torikos are great, though.
I feel like it was sort of foreshadowed with the president fight, wasn't it? They were talking about this sort of thing?

I laughed outloud at their one goal, though. This arc would ideally be titled 'Two piece'.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Hey, Komatsu has had two (?) positive relationships with female characters that aren't animals. Didn't he 'restore' that one lady's pride?

wait that sounds weird

Better than Sunny has done anyway.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I like how Zebra is full of poo poo in that panel. I think he actually has the most supporting and defensive abilities of the team, but he acts all gruff about it.

Voted Worst Mom posted:

I wonder how my balls sound
Slap them really hard and let us know?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Tolth posted:

Do your balls not get a bit moist when you're grappling with another man?
You guys keep forgetting the Nitro isn't talking about the ingredient she is talking about the end result. The soup will be wetter, warmer and richer once it is made from the balls.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

A manga that is literally about tripping balls or ball trips or good lord what did I just read

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rynder posted:

don't exaggerate. no one's tripped on them yet
Wasn't their damp waft enough to have them sailing above the clouds? I thought the shot of the four doing the Enbu dance in orbit was supposed to symbolize how high they were off just smelling his balls

This sentence, this is a sentence

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I thought it was the monkey king's opening attack that went flying off the planet, cutting those satellites?
No, the scene of them dancing in sync with the earth in the background here http://readms.com/r/toriko/314/2702/10

They tasted the sensation of kings and were intoxicated by it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Toriko is so good at being weird and weird about being so good

edit: I kinda think we'll see a brief melee between Kaka and Bambina, then Kaka withdraws swearing revenge. It doesn't feel like this arc wants to keep going up, been too long since they've eaten.

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 12, 2015

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That one Krillin quote from DBZA came to mind during this chapter, but I actually really like how creative the whole subspace angle actually is. I mean lots of stuff has done this before but somehow it just blends really nicely here due to the mental connection between sensory transitions when you think about food? There's probably a real word for that juxtaposition, but the way Toriko is structured you think about stuff like that subconsciously. As absurd as Toriko often is sometimes I think it gets a lot more from its theme than other shounen.

Pewdiepie posted:

I think its just chilling outside 100G mountain but can't enter because its capture level is too low.
Kaka was inside, then there was an explosion, then Kaka was outside.

I don't think Denshark made it :(

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Roland Jones posted:

Toriko, Coco, Sunny, Zebra, and possibly Midora, Brunch, and Melk Jr. so far. He needs at least one more entry to finish it off though.
What about ice girl? Nono or whatever?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I like the end of arc wrap ups. I really like how Toriko kinda goes back and references its cast in a way that doesn't dilute the main story.

I also like how all the cast has these silly, ridiculous designs and you get to see them all.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

pinegala posted:

he's the Buggy rip-off
well they're both sort of the same archetype but buggy is actually a bit more of a character and a bit less of a joke

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So Gourmet world is a giant pressure cooker, cooking the earth?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yuda, like all good chefs, understands that mise en place is a key step in the cooking process.
That was the best part, ha

This chapter was so good

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Or maybe Teppei evaluates killing one or two people ahead of, I don't know, a plan to annihilate the entire planet. Or more likely the mind control broke or whatever.

This chapter owned so hard. Just page after page of holy gently caress.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

He's going to power him up with the might of better cooking, better than all other cooking, that he learned from the 980 million side characters. And it's going to make sense, somehow.

Also I am seriously impressed with the art in this chapter.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Huzzah! posted:

Welp, gently caress the moon I guess. Don Slime gonna drop the biggest elbow in the world. And Ichiryuu might be revived?!? Holy poo poo!
I kinda felt like the implication is he was but I dunno this manga has gone completely nuts.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Toriko wouldn't kill something unless he was going to eat it

and these humans are being eaten

ergo and therefore, in the Torikoverse it isn't murder if you're a cannibal

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I love how Toriko manages to be more creepy and horrifying in spite of being a goofy cooking manga at the start. There's something about Neo that is far creepier and far easier to relate to than whatever other ninja sword spirit magic crap. You don't really need a loving back story - look at how little exposition this chapter actually has. He wants to terrify your loving glands into overdrive and then devour your flesh. He boils you in fear. Arghghugh. We all eat. We all know of things being eaten. It's a primal fear mixed with a very modern social construct. It's not a philosophy, it's something we all do.

Inversely a lot of food tastes like poo poo if you terrify it right before it dies. Adrenaline tastes bad, iirc. To us, mind you, I'm not bitching about realism. Neo's tastebuds are apparently primed for the flavor of unrelenting genocide.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah, the backbone is gluttony vs the joy of sharing/eating with loved ones. It's so good.

It's amazing comparing how poignant flashbacks in Toriko can be versus flashbacks in fuckoff stuff like FT or Bleach. This is a chapter about a side-character and the side-character's side-character in which there's an emotional connection over eating beans and it yet it works so loving well.

There's also a slapdash retcon thrown in to sort of explain why the Midora fight went the way it did, but it works perfectly for both combatants.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Not really.
It was always obvious that Ichiryuu absolutely did not want to hurt Midora at all.
I guess? I meant more the way the fight went in terms of what they threw at each other, not the fact his behavior made sense, which it always did. Neither of them was willing to kill the other.

The chapter goes back and addresses something in a flashback, which is a bit of hastily put in retcon, but I'm saying I didn't mind it. It was good.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Is the metal fluid looking demon, on the far left, Melk the second?

I hope Komatsu's demon isn't implied to be some historical legend, but instead something new that is evolving with him.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

AtomikKrab posted:

That is Sunnys hair.
I seriously stared at it for a good minute or two and that never occurred to me. He looks so shiny!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Annointed posted:

Use the can opener

This is so stupid I love it.
Toriko is fantastic for having moments that jar you out of your reverie.

Like oh no gently caress the can opener what could it do... wait what did I just say outloud?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I kinda wish that had been dragged out more.

But then: I remember Bleach.

This manga is real good.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah, I think you're right. That whole bit felt really weird, though. I assume during 3. he had to use Neo to fight the Nitro and that's when things went foul. I feel like this was hinted at, but I could be remembering wrong?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I kinda hope it's a con and saying it will keep Midora from holding back.

Death Bot posted:

I was about to post that I'm a little disappointed that neo is just stronger than everyone else because he's also hungrier, then realized that that makes perfect sense and am basically completely fine with that
This manga's weird logic is just strangely satisfying.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Man, Toriko good. Good frog, good eats, good manga.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Best part of Toriko this week isn't in the chapter itself

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Midora always looks to me like he's THIS close to busting out Jojo poses and I'm not sure what it is about him but I'm happy he's back.

Except in Toriko you remember every single piece of bread you've eaten and it gives you food power.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Midora's good guy-ness sort of makes sense since his hostility was derived from his mother's death, and having Acacia to blame shifts that around plus he met Komatsu and we all know how that goes. I can sort of agree with it.

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Its even more amusing that Coco, Zebra, and Sunny got jobbed into oblivion while off screen.
While Starjun appears to have been bumped up to main cast by default!

We're not really supposed to know who Starjun/Toriko's father is, right?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The wacky food manga getting you right in the feels is just never expected.

Also Midora owns.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'm ok with Toriko ending. I wish it had gone on longer but it's sort of nice to see a shonen get ending well. The art has taken a hit, just as Bleach did, but the story is moving at a brisk pace with lots of interesting twists.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

SgtSteel91 posted:

I couldn't tell from the art, but did Toriko get his hands eaten off?
I can't tell if he punched him harder to get through it or smashed him around and hurt his hand in the process

Toriko: The most metal

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The longer it went, the weirder I expected the last page to be

Toriko always delivers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'm sad it's over but I'm glad it ended on a good, positive note. Toriko could have gone for another 400 chapters probably, given all the stuff we skipped, but oh well.

• Locked thread