Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
Hey friends

Just dropping by to say how much I love this system. I'd been slowly moving away from DnD into more narritive based stuff since I started playing TTRPGs about 5 years ago, but DW has really been the most fun both my party and I (as the GM) has had since we started.

I just can't get over how easy it is to run a game, follow the GM moves + the principles and let the game flow naturally into interesting stories which feel right.

For actual content (apologies if this has been discussed before, I don't have search on the forums :stare: ) we started using Drives and Flags as replacements for Alignments and Bonds respectivally and we found it to be wwaaaayyyy more fun/in narritive than what's offered in the original rules.

I'm not gonna go on about how cool they are (unless you want me to go into detail from my games/what I've learned!) but our group has certainly all agreed they liked these better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

poor life choice posted:

Please, my new-to-tabletop gaming group is struggling with alignment and bonds and this looks a little more instructive.

Subjunctive posted:

I'd love to hear more.

Ok ladies, here we go.

A quick description so you don't need to go to the other web page:

Flags are a replacement for bonds (which really suck if you ask me). The idea is you come up with two adjectives for your character, and an instruction tied to each adjective telling other players how to use that flag to get them XP.
For example, if my character had the Curious flag with the instruction "convince me to try something I probably shouldn’t." then another PC would be trying to convince you to do something daft to get them XP. This might be in a dungeon, where there's an obviously trapped chest, and the other PC starts saying "on you go, come on, you are dying to find out!". Then they get XP.
They encourage play you normally wouldn't see. I think bonds have this problem where they are hyper specific and only between two PCs. So you get these boring, forced conversations where everyone else has to sit on the phones and not listen until you "resolve" it. Because come on... When do those things ever resolve?
Flags don't resolve, they are part of your character. So they are easier to remember too as the game goes on. (Although they can change if you feel you've had some CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT)
Futhermore, a flag is an invitation to everyone, so anyone can get stuck in. This may lead to that Curious character getting shafted like 5 times in a session, but it will always be fun and in the fiction.

In my game I've already seen some really fun play off these which we never got with bonds. Our cleric is a nut case dwarf who's entire religion is revolves fearing "The Depths". He chose a flag which was something like "Use my religion to make me do something I don't want to", so the wizard now gets under his character's skin with stuff like "better not go down that alleyway, THE DEPTHS COULD BE DOWN THERE!" all the while laughing while the cleric runs away like a little girl... Then the wizard gets XP!

Mechanics wise it changes the Aid move so it's a little more generic, no longer has it got to do with some mysterious bond you apparently have that somehow helps you pull your mate out of a deep hole.

Drives are basically flags, but for you personally. They really aren't too far flug from alignments, but they come with a couple of unique rules which make a huge difference.
First they get rid of alignments, which I personally have always disliked. While I entirely agree a character can probably be classed under one of the 9 alignments... I hate when it becomes the go to for what they do. "Oh I'm good so I guess I'd save this guy? Even though he's actually a murdered and he killed my best friend... But I'm good so ok!". But it still keeps the goal, albeit the goals are now more due to personality traits than just being outright good or evil.
Secondly they are built specificially to cause a decision. None of these are "stab a dude because you are a fighter with a sword and you'll do it anyway", no. These are more like "You are a loud barbarian who can't keep his mouth shut, get an XP when you spoil a social event with your brutish ways". So you get this choice: Do I blurt out and get the XP for it? Or do I keep my mouth shut and hope everything goes well? Either way something will happen and it'll be interesting.

Drives in my game have so far happened mostly due to my players liking to play their characters right. Our fighter chose Proud: Put someone in their place (or grave) for disrespecting you. An NPC tried to tell him he was being an idiot for attempting to open an obviously magically locked chest, then the figher broke his jaw. So he got his XP! But he was going to punch the NPC anyway, even though it caused the guy to avoid saving the fighter in a later fight.

So yeah, I'm a big fan of both.
My personal advice would be:
  • Do bonds at character creation, but only use them for story/getting the group together. Write down flags on your sheet for play
  • For new players keep alignments. Drives require you to do some thinking about what your character is like. As much as I hate alignments, I think they help newbies make decisions
  • For vets/players who just get into character, swap out for a drive. You can do it mid game easily and they are more fun
If you have any questions, I'll happily answer :cool:

edit: Oh and poor life choice, while I say alignments might be easier for new players, it might not always be the case. But I can easily see you getting the old "oh, but I don't know what my character is like or what they want!". Which is where "I'm an evil wizard" makes things much simpler. However flags are easy, you just scroll down the list and pick 2 if you are lost, then build a character around them!

kaffo fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 27, 2017

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

I nearly shed a tear last night when, after the session, I asked my players for criticism and they all said "We'd like more creative input in the world, let us make more awesome stuff on the world map so we can go explore it"

I think after years of going through different people I've finally found a great group :unsmith:

Context: I've always found it hard to get players to really be interested/invested in a game, and it seems like this one has taken the bait.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Comrade Gorbash posted:

What do you all do for 6- on Spout Lore?

I generally don't like giving false information, because with the shared narrative creation aspect it feels like it betrays some of the central tenets of PbtA. In some circumstances I'm okay with it - cases where it's not me providing bad information, but where bad information exists in the world itself. But when speaking as the GM I prefer always to say true things.

As a result I tend to fall back on reveal an unwelcome truth or show signs of an approaching threat based on the subject at hand. At other times, I find it better to provide incomplete or confusing information - a half-remembered prophecy or excerpt from something they read, maybe. They know something about the place they're going but it's an either/or piece of information that could lead them astray (e.g. there's a red gem and a green gem and one let's you in and one activates the defenses and I don't remember which is which).

I'm always looking for other ways to do it though.

One of my favorites which I struggle not to overuse, is tell them something incorrect which will cause the party problems (aka tell them a poisonous flower is non-poisonous) then tell the player if they act on this obviously wrong knowledge they gain an XP.
It gives them a choice, allowing you to "what do you do now?" and it's still a fail because they never learned anything useful about it either.
And if they don't act on it, therefore never finding out they were horribly wrong, it can create some pretty fun situations later down the line "Quick feed the princess this flower! It's got strong healing properties I'm pretty sure!"

That said, I too would like to hear other people's ways of handling it too

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

I see the Dungeon World book is back in print on burning wheel

Anyone know what the print quality is like?
I want it, but I'm not spending $25 on it if it's printed on toilet paper

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Comrade Gorbash posted:

The copy I have is solid. Pretty much the standard oversized paperback style a lot of indie rpgs use.

Awesome, I'll need to consider it, thanks!

Harrow posted:

I know this is from months ago, but I'm just catching up on the thread.

Holy drat I like this idea a lot. Back when I ran DW regularly I always had trouble getting my players to really interact with the bonds system beyond the initial setup, but something like flags would almost certainly work. That's a cool as hell idea.

I'm just about to finish the game I mentioned in the post around then, so I can kinda post mortem it now

The bad stuff first:
My players quickly worked out which flags were easier to get due to the flag condition or the player who's flag it was. This meant some where basically ignored, and I would have got folks to change them if I didn't know the end game was coming. One player in paticular was a real pain in the arse even though his flags were good, he seemed to expect the other player to work really hard to hit it. Even when I reminded him "you get XP from this too you know, it's mutual that you hit it" he'd give the whole "Yeah sure, but I want it to be worth it for both of us"
Not once that campaign did anyone hit his flags, because they gave up since he was being like that. Not really a flag fault but thought I'd mention it
When they didn't come up, due circumstance or just because everyone forgot, it was a bit of a bummer all around. Not really sure how to fix this, maybe a custom move for not hitting any flags in a session?
Speaking about forgetting, having 2 per player got pretty confusing, even with 4 players. We regularly forgot one or both of someone's and there's no real easy way to write two whole sentences down somewhere public for each PC

The good:
There were a good handful of moments in those 11 sessions where we'd be in the middle of something, then one player would grin ear to ear, look at another and say
"Hey, your flag is 'Use my religion against me' right?"
"Yeah...?"
"Great :devil:"
And it was worth it just for them
When people hit flags they felt good, like they'd achieved something, and they almost always felt natural. Unlike when we played bonds and players were trying to activally resolve them, my players would bring them up like above and slot them into the action nicely

I'll be using them again for sure, but I think next time I'll spend some more time with the whole party discussing what we want each character's flags to be and how achievable they'll be during play

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

RedMagus posted:

Remember with flags that the XP comes only once in the session, not each time. Helps break people of that "hit the bell for XP" instinct that seems to come to the table

Yeah, exactly
I'm a big fan. I still personally don't really get how bonds got past play testing. I've never heard of a group who's used them as stated in the book without the GM bullying the players into social situations

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

When I say force, I mean
"Hey Vildamir, remember that Ulrist stole something of value from you and you hold a grudge"
"Oh right that thing, Um yeah, sure... Can't we get back to killing stuff now?"
"No, talk to Ulrist"

Dunno, I feel they are annoyingly detached from the rest of the game and they require quite a lot of player and GM input to get anything out of. Even the temptation of xp doesn't seem to draw people to resolve them

Flags just seem to slot into game play much better and reward players for interacting
Of course this is all personal opinion, I bet some folk have a great time with bonds, but it isn't anyone I know

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I think that bonds as basically a descriptor of history and relationship between characters makes sense. It helps keep prevent the incongruity of new groups being a bunch of strangers with nothing in common. At the same time, the RAW for how to use bonds in play are really clumsy and ham-handed.

Personally I think flags are an amazing idea, but rather than throw out bonds, use them differently. Every PC should have a bond with every other PC, and at end of session have them read them again and decide if what's written down is still the best encapsulation of their relationship. If it's not, if something has changed, mark XP and write a new one.

This is pretty much what I mean
I think bonds are great during gen, gives the players some tangible links between each other that are interesting, and then the players can choose to play them out or not depending on the players themselves

Tying that into the level mechanic (while I understand why they did that on paper) doesn't work very well in play. Even during gen, players can't tell the GM "yes sure, I'm in with this mechanic" because 30 seconds later most of them forget about it, or realise it actually doesn't fit their character

I like your quick fix idea here, I think it works out better actually. But I can still see "oh I forgot that was a thing" every second session...

Also totally up for the player aids, I already do it with names/classes but I have noooo idea how to format all that text in a readable way across a table without printing it on like an A1 billboard

As for the other discussion, I had a similar problem once my players worked out the "roll to get xp" thing. But they quickly worked out that bad poo poo happens when they do

My favourite is the wizard's cast spell partial success "draw unwanted attention"
Every game I was a player in previously saw a player go "seems like the obvious choice really" pick it then run away/beat up/deal the resultant danger
I had a long discussion with the GM of that game about it and we both agreed that as a GM the scale of "draw unwanted attention" needed to be drastic enough a player actually thinks twice about it

I think I succeeded a little too well, because all my players are terrified to pick the option, since the first time they did it I introduced a hydra to a fight with some frog men then I dropped a magical eldritch horror on them in the middle of conversation with some NPCs
It was hella fun though, and they cherish those moments. I hope the wizard picks it during the final fight on Thursday just so I can really make poo poo hit the fan :devil:

Fake edit: I'd like to clarify I'm not one of those GMs who does the old "do your bond Dan" but I've been in a game where that happened and heard it happen from other people

kaffo fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 17, 2017

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

^^ Yeah we do, they work great I agree, even after 10 sessions. Just trying to find a way to cram on 2 full sentences on there (or shorten them to something memorable) sounds like a pain in the rear end

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Hit me up later on this, I have some ideas.

Sure dude, would be interested!
I don't really have the time right now to invest in quantum formatting haha

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Double post cos apparently this thread is dead

I was thinking about a (slapstick-ish?) comedy Dungeon World spin (not so much a separate PbtA hack) inspired by Konosuba, where the players are seemingly competent and manage to get poo poo done, but are actually almost entirely useless and anything they achieve is either by pure luck or abuse of the limited skillset they have

I was thinking of writing playbooks like the Dizzy Fighter who gets his signature weapon, but his other starting skill is something like "When you turn a little bit too fast, roll +nothing" and the 10+ outcome is something like "by a miracle nothing bad happened"

The GM principles would need to change a bit too, plus the structure to an extent
My thoughts are something like giving the players a quest to deliver some milk to the next town over. On the way they get lost and stumble across the incredibly well hidden BBEG's lair where they discover (after a lengthy monologue about being discovered and his evil plan and how he is going to kill them all, even though the party have never heard of him before now) he's allergic to milk and they just about instagib him
Then poo poo gets worse when they need to replace the milk they just lost killing the BBEG and the nearest milk farm is currently under siege by the other BBEG....

Basically kinda Paranoia-ish quests but in a fantasy setting
I think the players would have their say though in how the madness unfolds, so everyone gets their chance at being the comedian

Any thoughts goonfriends?

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

RedMagus posted:

Honestly, I'd do Dungeon World as is and change 2 things:
1) When everyone gets there, explain that you want to go for a slapstick barely competent Red Dwarf style campaign
2) Encourage people to not put their +2 in their primary stat

With DW, you get a lot of power in the 7-9 move, and that power lets you setup those slapstick "well we put the fire out. by releasing the water elemental that's tearing up the town" moments.

Especially if you're running it this way, give a slice of narrative control to the player for those moments. Setup the scene and go "ok, what's the dumbest yet best way your character would do X, but is going to cause Y to happen thanks to your partial hit/full miss" and let them help you setup the comedy.
You're right, but I think I'd still want to modify the playbooks at least a little (swap out one starting move for something negative, but interesting) otherwise I think you might fall into trying to be funny

Harrow posted:

Depending on what you're looking for, you could[ give Dungeon Bastards a try. It's not strictly PbtA, nor is it suited for anything longer than a one-shot, but it is tailor-made for "incompetent, poorly-behaved adventurers blunder their way to success" adventures.
I'll have a look! I wish things didn't cost money though :smith:

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Just an FYI, your link to Scrape and Evil Mastermind's guide on post 2 doesn't work any more
I'm sure you agree it's an utterly fantastic guide, is there any chance you can update it?
I found this mediafire link, but I'm not really sure how reliable it is
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?ypk10uede2sgri6

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Infinite Oregano posted:

I suppose this is a question that likely applies to all PbtA games, but regardless: If you're playing in real time (whether it's by discord or face-to-face or whatever), how do you keep in your mind the possibilities of GM Moves, or the complications that stem from a 7-9 Defy Danger roll (or hypothetically the other moves but I feel that Defy Danger's broadness leaves it more open to possibilities but also meaning it can be harder to come up with a satisfactory result on the spot)? Do you make any preparations as such?

Also on a different note but still somewhat DW-related: How do you do dungeons in your games? How much do you leave to the players and how much prompting do you give them regarding the dungeoneering experience and the dungeon's layout/etc. etc.?

As an extension to the above post, I also give myself maybe 10 seconds to think of something before I answer the players with the "obvious answer"
More often than not I'll just go for what is obvious in the fiction, but that can be repetitive in some situations
I'll try read down the whole list of GM moves really quickly and see if I can think of something particularly cool or interesting before doing the obvious

I should point out though that usually the obvious is the best response

Another exception is if I've got some encounter I've thought of before the session and, just like designing moves, I might have a small list of stuff I think might be cool if someone rolls a 6- or 7-8 during the encounter

Really though, it's not that difficult. But it's easy to crutch on one response which can get boring like "take damage from the dragon" every single time someone fails, it just takes some thinking outside the DND box

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

I'd also like to recommend Perilous Wilds as a replacement for steadings/travel/hirelings because they kinda suck in base game in my personal opinion. Note it's a replacement and not an addition to the base rules

It sounds like you've got the style down. Now you just need to convince your players, because PbtA is so different to "traditional" RPGs. Try and make sure to remind them that the game is a conversation like Gorbash reminded us. Please for the love of God try and remind them that moves aren't always something you pick to do, but something the GM tells you to do. My players still occasionally say something like:
"I run at the dragon with my sword and Hack and Slash it" *picks up dice*
"Eh, hold on, so your plan is to run at a dragon and try to stab it... what, in the face? with your cheap rear end iron sword?"
"Yeah, can I roll now?"
:colbert:
Related post

My other vague advice, which is far more optional, is to swap out alignmets for Drives cos I'm not a big fan of the whole DnD "you are born good" stuff. I think it's great for newbies, but Drives are way more dynamic for anyone with some RPG experience.
Lastly swap out bonds for Flags because I've played in 4 Dungeon World games and in all 4 (with different players/GMs) everyone forgot to advance bonds and they felt like needless paperwork rather than actual fun character stuff. But speaking to people, I hear that one is more subjective

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I'm kind of feeling a bigger effort post about how to understand the the mechanics of Dungeon World and other PbtAs and how a lot of them are "hidden" mechanics, less because the game doesn't identify them and more due to expectations created by other TTRPGs. Would people find that useful?
I'll read literally everything you write, especially your PbtA advice is always spot on dude. Effortpost away!

VVV FWIW I dropped in all the mentioned suggestions into a running DW game and (except having to redraw the map using the Perilous Wilds rules) they all slotted in perfectly. Also bonds are great for starting the game and getting some interesting dynamics between characters. But it'll be interesting to see how you feel about them after 5/6 sessions. Please report back how you're finding it! :unsmith:

kaffo fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 5, 2018

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Infinite Oregano posted:

So what's the consensus here about the Follower rules in Perilous Wilds (compared to the core hireling rules)?

Or furthermore the entirety of Perilous Wilds and descendent supplements?

Personally...

Map creation rules - Awesome
New make camp/scout/rations rules - Much better
Discoveries/Dangers - Awesome
Dungeons - Kinda luke warm, I personally ignore these rules
New follower rules - Better than original rules, but could take or leave them
Other stuff I've probably forgotten - Either haven't tired it or it wasn't good/bad enough to remember or mention

Overall it's a really good supplement, I think it's a step away from DnD and closer to how Apocalypse World does things

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Devorum posted:

Is there a product I can download or buy that has Drives for the core classes to replace alignments?

I checked the OP, but didn't see anything.
Check out Worlds of Adventure (not sure if this is the newest copy)
It tries to "fix" some bits and pieces we all complain about, and adds some stuff in too. Never tried it so can't comment on what it's like. But I'm pretty sure it has what you want
As per usual, these guys are right on the mark
However something else to consider too is it's not all GM input. Absolutely make sure you listen to and put into place this great advice, but the players need to shift their attitude too

In my last game, they had a epic final battle with a dragon. It was my player's first PbtA game and they just didn't really get the whole "actually you can't just Hack and Slash the dragon to death" thing, even when I felt I was making it super obvious
Example:
Wizard: I'm gonna fireball the dragon
GM: Fantastic, tell us how you cast that
Wizard: <epic spell casting description> Can I roll now?
GM: You cannot, let me tell you how that fireball bounces off its scales like a toenail off 5 inches of solid steel

Obviously I'm paraphrasing there. But the point is, you can go to town and back telling them how buff this dragon is, but until players throw out the ol' DnD HP sponge thought process and realise the narrative is what is driving the mechanics, it can be hard work

All that said, maybe I'm preaching to the converted here, maybe your players will all "get it" right away. But certainly for me it can be a point of frustration from both sides of the table, when it really shouldn't be

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Personally, I've always thought tracking ammo is super dumb unless you are using highly simulated system

I'm more a fan of using it for dramatic purpose. If they fail a Volly they manage to catch the dude they are aiming for, doing damage, but as they go to reach for a new arrow, they realise they only have 3 arrows left... That kinda thing

Otherwise, everyone forgets, it's needless math every time you go to a town and someone gets mad when they realise they should have bought 10 arrows instead of 5... There's very few actual positives to keeping track of them in my opinion

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

That's kinda how it works. When you volley, one of the choices is to not spend ammo, so you can keep firing until you have to pick that option 3 times.

It's been a while and I couldn't be bothered getting the moves sheet up at work :devil:

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

MTV Crib Death posted:

Okay so I've been spending some time thinking about the smash-up between Bard and Thief that better fits into Dungeon Planet. I really like the Dungeon Planet book, but it feels half done when it comes to classes. The new classes are great, but the idea that the run-of-the-mill bard, thief, and wizard fit into the setting without any friction doesn't seem right to me. That might be my own sci-fi biases showing though.

In any case, I present The Pilot v1.0. It needs more advanced moves but I think the base is a solid mash up that combines to create a Han Solo/Jack Burton/Alex Rogan type character for spacey adventures. Tear it apart, please. I'll be play-testing it this weekend and can make changes right up to the hour before we sit down to play.

That looks like great fun, I can't really see any holes to poke in it

You did fat finger in Dashing Smile though

quote:

They must answer it truthfully, then you may ask you a question from the list
But otherwise I'd play it for sure

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Comrade Gorbash posted:

flying monkey minions of the Wicked Lich of the West
Why is everything you post gold?

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Waffles Inc. posted:

So I've decided to take the plunge and ask some tabletop friends if they'd like to play Dungeon World, since hearing about it popping up in other threads has turned my head. After reading the rules and absorbing stuff like the above I am absolutely fuckin jazzed about giving it a go.

However, what I find utterly intimidating is how a session might...flow. Like, how much prep do I have to do as a DM? My understanding of reading stuff like the 'Tight One-Shot' doc and the rulebook is that the overall campaign front has portents and whatnot, and those would then trickle into the adventure front(s).

So compared to D&D, creating a campaign front is the equivalent of creating the big bad so to speak, yeah? From there, the adventure fronts are going to be like, the mcguffin swamp with the thing the big bad wants, or the big bad's childhood home or the big bad's lieutenant's castle, yeah?

How do I do all of that while still weaving in the "draw maps but leave blanks"?

I guess to put it a different way, the puzzle piece I'm missing is how to run the campaign from a meta level, does that make sense? After an encounter am I meant to do things like, "Who knows a town nearby to resupply at?", things like that? So that I might have several pre-gen steads that serve my fronts, but the players fill in the gaps?

So, when you run a D&D campaign, you're mostly expected to plan at least the session coming up ahead of time, if not the vast majority of the entire campaign

In Dungeon World, it invites both the players and the GM to Play to Find Out What Happens
This means you might have a Big Bad idea, and you introduce that to the PCs in session 0/character gen (by the way I seriously recommend stealing at least the map gen from The Perilous Wilds, it's fantastic and it's really simple) and they go "yeah sure that's awesome" and start bouncing off that. Maybe one player introduces the fact Big Bad had a sidekick who betrayed him and he's gonna play that dude. Maybe someone says the Big Bad indirectly killed his Sister and he wants revenge...

The point is, you all bounce off each other. Sure you're still the GM and you're still there to moderate and tell them what happens when they go places and such... But they get a huge say in the world. When the players all turn to you and say "right, what next" then you whip you your moves list and you see what you can do. Maybe you just outright ask them a question back:
"Hey Dave, you know a guy called Dorgon the Wizard who lives in the nearby city of Hallstown. In his last letter, what trouble did he say he got into this time?"
That'll get everyone at the table going "who's Dorgon?" "What trouble did he get into?" "Is it related to the big bad?"

What's also important in DW is nothing is established until it's on screen. That means the world is infinite and anything is possible... Until it's not. If Dave tells us that Dorgon was done for smoking pipe weed again, then we know that pipe weed exists, it's illegal for whatever reason in at least Hallstown and at least Dorgon has access to some (is there a dealer? does he grow it himself?). It the best kind of feedback loop you could ask for

I'm sure you'll get other advice from the other professionals in the thread, I'm about to run my own game in like 20 mins so I can't type out a longer answer right now I'm afriad

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Waffles Inc. posted:

Ah thanks so much for these! I loving LOVE the Sky Chain one.

Also thanks so much Kaffo for the Perilous Wilds suggestion, I snagged that and I'll definitely be doing the map building in session zero, and I think I'm gonna have our "starting location" be the Sky Chain.

So once you get all of that going, everyone would have their reasons for being there and questions answered and whatnot and then you just...go? And as things develop, then you as the DM begin to weave with the cloth the party gives you as they reveal and explore and create?

Sorry to keep hammering on this, it's just that something in my mind hasn't yet clicked in the transition from D&D thinking. I'm just afraid that when we actually start, everything is just gonna be stuck in neutral; i'm intimidated about how I can drive the action without a narrative. In my D&D DMing life, I've always, either through a module or my own writing, had a way to get the party out of neutral because there were always machinations behind the scenes, and with Dungeon World it feels like I don't have that safety net.
If you follow the DW ruleset (especially the GM's rules) it's impossible to have a neutral moment
One of the rules is you get to make a move when Everyone Turns to You To Find Out What Happens or They Give You A Golden Opportunity
That means you can make a hard or soft move and get the action going again right away

Say they start in a bar and they are all sitting drinking their beer, then there's a lull in the conversation... You jump in and Reveal an Unwelcome Truth as they find out that actually, the guy who had all the gold on him has lost the bag somewhere... And here comes the inn keep looking to collect the tab...

If you are ever in a place where there's a moment of silence, the players are dicking about or When They Give You A Golden Opportunity then do it. That's what keeps the pace up
If you play DW by the letter, you'll find that you'll never have downtime (of course, make sure you give your players time and space to do some idle roleplay if they like campfire chat or whatever) but the second someone looks like they are losing interest, you throw a move at them.

Learning the moves and how to use them to your advantage (especially on the spot) takes a bit of getting used to. What I love to do it throw it back to the players. They will always surprise you:
"You're having a great time in the bar, when Sam (quite drunk) looks down to see the party coin purse is missing! The inn keeper is coming around the tables looking for the tab... Derrek how did you piss this guy off last time you were here?"
You've not put any thought into that inn keeper, but now Derrek can, he might have a great idea and really spice it up. And that's one of the great powers of DW

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Waffles Inc. posted:

aha! That did the trick I think: the GM moves are the driver

It's always easy to imagine things sputtering when I'm sitting here by myself without the energy of a session haha

On unrelated note, if your players are DnD players, they'll 10,000% try to use the list of moves on their sheet as exhaustive, and it's not

You'll need to gently remind them that they don't use moves like they'd use a DnD power. There's a good chance you'll need to persuade them to just describe what their character is doing then you tell them if it triggers a move
This is especially important when they are doing something which the move might describe, but you feel isn't dramatic enough for a roll

For example, maybe a player wants to punch a beggar in the face and asks to roll Hack n Slash, you might just say "nah, you punch him, it's a beggar, no need" or maybe the beggar is actually a bad rear end wicked assassin and you ask them to roll Defy Danger to make sure they don't get a knife plunged into their chest

Personally, it took half a dozen sessions of prompting my players for more info to get it out of them
"I Volley the war lord"
"Erm, no, tell me what you're actually doing. You are hiding behind the barrel right? What's your plan here?"
"Oh right, well I'm going to stand up, because I think the coast is clear, then I'm gonna line up my bow to the war lord's legs and try to get him to stop running around like a maniac"
Then you can decide if he's rolling volley, maybe he's got to roll Defy Danger first to avoid the hail of arrows as soon as he stands up, or the swordsman he didn't see coming

It's the small things like this that makes PbtA a very powerful system... But you've got to throw away the DnD assumptions, or you'll find the system "sticky" when rules start getting argued over and there's lulls in the action

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Words of Wisdom
Nice catch! I do actually know/do this myself, but managed to fall into the trap in my example here while trying to show off the system flexibility, whoops!

Also, I bribed my players. I gave them sweets from a bowl every time they avoided explicitly saying a move, but what they said triggered a move
It's entirely optional to treat your players like big eyed puppies or not :eng101:

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

malkav11 posted:

I feel like Dungeon World is especially prone to this because it takes so many cues from D&D that the same reflexes get triggered. But it's clearly a broad spectrum issue. Almost none of the PBTA actual plays I've listened to have managed to steer away from "I feel like you should roll dice here so what's the closest move?". Even Austin Walker, who's generally one of the best PBTA GMs I've listened to, has fallen into that particular trap...
I don't think anyone should be allowed to GM DW until they read Scrape and Evil Mastermind's Guide Ok not really, but it's incredibly useful
I'll never stop recommending that guide, because it opened my eyes as a GM in general

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Overemotional Robot posted:

In my Star Wars World game I deal with absences by writing love letters to the players for when they come back.
This. Steal love letters from Apocalypse World. It's a win win that way

* Their character isn't just hanging around the party being weird and quiet
* It adds something to the game
* They get something interesting when they come back to roll
* There is a legitimate excuse why the party would need to fill them in when they get back, and they've got something to tell the party too

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Waffles Inc. posted:

Since Bonds and Alignments are such a huge part of XP and leveling up, do you find that it works as a carrot or a stick to get people out of a roleplay rut and into being an active participant?

What I mean is that, when the session end comes and someone realizes they didn't resolve any bonds or do their alignment thing and everyone else did, do you find that it's a wakeup call or just a feelsbad?

For what it's worth, I'm good friends with all of my players and have zero qualms having them be different levels if someone isn't "pulling their weight" in an RP sense

kaffo posted:

Ok ladies, here we go.

A quick description so you don't need to go to the other web page:

Flags are a replacement for bonds (which really suck if you ask me). The idea is you come up with two adjectives for your character, and an instruction tied to each adjective telling other players how to use that flag to get them XP.
For example, if my character had the Curious flag with the instruction "convince me to try something I probably shouldn’t." then another PC would be trying to convince you to do something daft to get them XP. This might be in a dungeon, where there's an obviously trapped chest, and the other PC starts saying "on you go, come on, you are dying to find out!". Then they get XP.
They encourage play you normally wouldn't see. I think bonds have this problem where they are hyper specific and only between two PCs. So you get these boring, forced conversations where everyone else has to sit on the phones and not listen until you "resolve" it. Because come on... When do those things ever resolve?
Flags don't resolve, they are part of your character. So they are easier to remember too as the game goes on. (Although they can change if you feel you've had some CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT)
Futhermore, a flag is an invitation to everyone, so anyone can get stuck in. This may lead to that Curious character getting shafted like 5 times in a session, but it will always be fun and in the fiction.

In my game I've already seen some really fun play off these which we never got with bonds. Our cleric is a nut case dwarf who's entire religion is revolves fearing "The Depths". He chose a flag which was something like "Use my religion to make me do something I don't want to", so the wizard now gets under his character's skin with stuff like "better not go down that alleyway, THE DEPTHS COULD BE DOWN THERE!" all the while laughing while the cleric runs away like a little girl... Then the wizard gets XP!

Mechanics wise it changes the Aid move so it's a little more generic, no longer has it got to do with some mysterious bond you apparently have that somehow helps you pull your mate out of a deep hole.

Drives are basically flags, but for you personally. They really aren't too far flug from alignments, but they come with a couple of unique rules which make a huge difference.
First they get rid of alignments, which I personally have always disliked. While I entirely agree a character can probably be classed under one of the 9 alignments... I hate when it becomes the go to for what they do. "Oh I'm good so I guess I'd save this guy? Even though he's actually a murdered and he killed my best friend... But I'm good so ok!". But it still keeps the goal, albeit the goals are now more due to personality traits than just being outright good or evil.
Secondly they are built specificially to cause a decision. None of these are "stab a dude because you are a fighter with a sword and you'll do it anyway", no. These are more like "You are a loud barbarian who can't keep his mouth shut, get an XP when you spoil a social event with your brutish ways". So you get this choice: Do I blurt out and get the XP for it? Or do I keep my mouth shut and hope everything goes well? Either way something will happen and it'll be interesting.

Drives in my game have so far happened mostly due to my players liking to play their characters right. Our fighter chose Proud: Put someone in their place (or grave) for disrespecting you. An NPC tried to tell him he was being an idiot for attempting to open an obviously magically locked chest, then the figher broke his jaw. So he got his XP! But he was going to punch the NPC anyway, even though it caused the guy to avoid saving the fighter in a later fight.

So yeah, I'm a big fan of both.
My personal advice would be:
  • Do bonds at character creation, but only use them for story/getting the group together. Write down flags on your sheet for play
  • For new players keep alignments. Drives require you to do some thinking about what your character is like. As much as I hate alignments, I think they help newbies make decisions
  • For vets/players who just get into character, swap out for a drive. You can do it mid game easily and they are more fun
If you have any questions, I'll happily answer :cool:

edit: Oh and poor life choice, while I say alignments might be easier for new players, it might not always be the case. But I can easily see you getting the old "oh, but I don't know what my character is like or what they want!". Which is where "I'm an evil wizard" makes things much simpler. However flags are easy, you just scroll down the list and pick 2 if you are lost, then build a character around them!
Self quoting because I'm that vain
I don't like bonds or alignments, I think they are the weakest part of DW
Take my advice as you wish, but I found my games improved a lot once I threw them out and my players all agreed

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Waffles Inc. posted:

I could definitely see myself swapping out mechanics and stuff after we're all more comfortable with the RAW, but I'm super hesitant to houserule things from the get go. I appreciate it though! I've definitely dropped that post into a notes doc

Like, they're all coming from D&D, so there being an actual mechanic for how characters interact is going to be new, even before I start modifying stuff, so I'm interested to see how it all works out
I totally get you, have a read though before you decide not to run with Flags or Drives. They are incredibly simple swaps (choose from this list instead of this list) and you replace them on the character sheet by just crossing out "ALIGNMENT" and writing "DRIVE", ditto for Bond/Flag

But yes, you will certainly have some sticky moments with the DnD players. My bet is bonds will drive you all nuts. Then same 1 or 2 players will get their alignment every session because it's easy and the other guys will just get grouchy that their selection of 3 sucked at character gen

I'll shut up about Drives+Flags now though, I'm a bit of a zealot sorry :eng99:

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Waffles Inc. posted:

Do you have a list of Flags the way that that above doc has Drives? After looking at 'em, I think you're right that Drives are easy to drop in, since they're also just picking from a list
Yes, sorry, I was running my Exalted 3E game last night:
https://rpg.divnull.com/wiki/index.php?title=Dungeon_World_Flags

You can also just make your own, but it sounds like your DnD players will probably just want to pick one off a list, then realise 4 sessions later that they actually wanted something different

Don't you love players? (I do :allears:)

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Waffles Inc. posted:

Haha yeah you absolutely nailed it--I'm thinking it's going to be a big enough mind-gently caress of a Session Zero as it is, without having to ask them all to come up with flags off the top of their heads

Thanks for this!
No worries

Post here after you run it and let us know how it went!

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Waffles Inc. posted:

Thinking back on it, it probably wasn't a good Discern Realities moment, though I dunno. The situation was the party were on a pirate sky ship being forced to walk a long plank that anchored them to a floating island, but on the other side of the plank were the inhabitants of the island shooting at them. This character wanted to peek up and see what was going on, and the language she used for what she was doing seemed to trigger Discern Realities.

She rolled a 6, so I said like, "as you peaked up you see a bit too late that an arrow is headed directly at you, so you're unable to get a clean look at the action, what do you do?" (Put them in a spot)

Where I feel I "failed" is that what the player was wanting to do is understand about who or why was shooting, I should have sensed the"real" reason she wanted to do it and had the failure still be illustrative towards that end in a way that still made the failure meaningful. So like, the failure could have meant she spotted reinforcements, or they're rolling out a ballista! or something
If this was your biggest problem/regret then you'll be fine! At least you have a better idea for next time

Sounds like it went well, good to hear. PbtA really is a fantastic framework and even when not running PbtA games, I still run them like one as much as I can. It's a wonderful feedback loop

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Please :justpost: with updates
I'll happily play test stuff with my group too if you get anything on paper

I'm on mobile right now but I'll try and read your post properly and reply if any suggestions come to mind later

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

I was going to see if I could watch the GM session, but something has come up. Are you guys planning to record it?

I'd really appreciate it if someone could :sun:

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Comrade Gorbash posted:

For a static set up, like for podcasting and so forth, then I'd recommend XLR mics over USB every time. You'll get as good quality for cheaper, or better for the same or slightly more, and you have more control and the ability to upgrade over time. If you get a USB mic, the Blue Yeti is pretty much your top-out, and you can't use most of the accessories if you switch streams. That's one of the big disadvantages of the Blue products and other USB mics - most of them don't fit the standard booms and shock mounts and the Blue specific ones are unreasonably expensive.

Start with getting a Behringer Xenyx 302USB - or the equivalent larger versions if you need more input/outputs. The 302USB runs about $50. There are better mixers out there, but the Behringers are as good at a lower price point, especially since you're still putting it through a USB input in the end. They just have fewer features and don't have the build quality of the higher end stuff.

You do want to get a shock mount, pop-filter, and stand, but honestly even the cheap $25~ combo options for this are more than good enough. I had the Neweer NW-35 (which comes with a cable and shock mount) and it was perfectly acceptable. My only caution on it - and similar ones where you're tightening thumb-screws to keep it in position - is that they will wear out if you're constantly re-positioning them. I had to replace mine and went a little berserk and got a Rode PSA1, which is fantastic but is definitely overkill for anyone starting out. A desk stand is also cheap, coupled with the $13~ pop filter/shock mount combo deals. This part is cheap enough that there's no reason not to grab them. You will also need an XLR cable, most mics don't come with one but a lot of stands and booms will. Even if you have to buy it totally separately it will only run you about $7 for a 10ft cable, which should be good enough for home set ups.

For mics, I have a MXL 770 mic, which I like a lot but is about $75, though it routinely goes on sale on Amazon for closer to $55. It also comes with a shock mount. Something like the Behringer XM8500 which is no-poo poo $20 will work for a starter if you're need to keep costs down, as will the Shure SM48-LC or PGA48-LC for a bit more. This is also where you can really scale up over time - mics run the gamut from the cheap options I mention here to multi-hundred dollar examples, and the improvement across the price range is real. But for a single person, over an internet connection, sitting in front of the mic in a probably fairly quiet room, you don't need the high end stuff to sound good. The jump from $20-30 to the $70 and then to the $100-120 range all are improvements, yes. But even the cheapest set up will already sound better than all but the best headsets and USB mics (which will be way more expensive). And it gives you room to grow over time, if you find a need to.

If you really only have $50 to spend, the Blue Snowball is fine, but I would replace it outright rather than try to accessorize it beyond a pop-filter. The shock mount costs as much as the mic and it doesn't play nice with many stands or booms. A Blue Yeti will run you $130 just for the mic, and it again does not play well with standard shock mounts, though the ones for it run more in the $25 range. Still, you're realistically $150 in, plus another $15 to $20 for pop-filter and a cheap boom, and more like you're in at $200, and if you want to upgrade you still will have to go back and buy a mixer and normal shock mount to go along with an XLR mic.

In contrast, the cheap XLR route, you're in for about $93 ($24 for boom, pop-filter, shock mount, and cable, $49 for mixer, $20 for mic). Go with a better mic and you'll run between $125-$150 - the lower end cheaper than the Blue Yeti all by itself, the upper end not far above and well cheaper than an accessorized Blue Yeti. And if you want to upgrade, you only have to pay for the new mic - you can keep using the same shock-mount, the mixer, cable, etc.

If you're looking for something portable, there's a couple of good headsets out there, I'll go dig out the recommendations I have for that if people want.
Great advice from Gorbash
If you have headphones already or want to buy a pair of headphones which don't have a mic (which is insultingly common for good headphones) the Antlion ModMic 4 (directional, not omni-directional) is pretty solid. Don't get the 5, it's chunkier and the dual mic is a waste.
As for headphones, Beyerdynamic DT-770 at 80ohms are about the best bang for buck headphones you can get.
These things are great, I've had mine for 6 years and I replaced the pads once for £15 because they were getting a bit dirty. Them with the ModMic is a reasonable price, great quality and portable.

All that said, if you want a desktop mic, ignore all that and listen to Gorbash. Also please note I am not an audiofile, I'm passing on great advice from a friend who is and I've never regretted my purchase

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Working on a Dungeon World hack/2nd edition project and am looking for your best suggestions/ideas.

I've already picked out a few mission statements/concepts as guides.
  • The one D&Dism Dungeon World got rid of that it should have kept is the ability to freely mix and match race/people/origin and class. So bring that option back.
  • Basic stats should be more about what a character is doing or how they're doing it, and not their innate qualities.
  • HP and weapon damage need to be revamped entirely.
  • Everyone needs to be good at combat and good at exploring in some fashion.
  • The party/adventuring company should be something that matters. This includes coming up with a better way to reflect relationships and history.

Here's some of the ways I'm trying to meet those goals.
Basic Stats
  • Basic stats are based around the idea of how something is accomplished. They still reflect D&D stats to some degree but are less about the character's innate capabilities and more about how they apply them.
  • Currently looking at Might (uses raw power and direct force), Finesse (grace and speed), Expertise (training and practiced skill), Insight (learned knowledge and close observation). Trying to determine one or two more stats, leaning towards something like Tenacity (perseverance and endurance) and then maybe Appeal (personal allure and persuasion).

Characters/Playbooks
  • Playbooks consist of three elements you select to create a unique character. Origin, Background, and Class you select.
  • Origin and Background are much smaller than playbook. They provide a top line benefit like Race/Alignment (and equivalents) in Dungeon World, a way to mark XP, and potentially one or two advances you can take along the way.
  • Origin includes race/people but things like "raised by wolves" and so forth. It has to be what you are/where you come from. Broadly, it represents the shared traits and/or experiences of a group you're part of, but not your individual experiences and lifepath.
  • Background lets you flesh out some character concepts that don't necessarily need to have a specific class dedicated to them, like a wizard who was trained by the military. This represents more the specific experience of the character.

Moves/Mechanics
  • Every class gets a defined stat for their attacks in combat, it's set as a high modifier. That stat also gets a tag reflecting a more descriptive explanation of their approach (like arcane for wizards or martial for fighters). The stat in question and the descriptor offer will adjust some of the options they have when they make the attack move(s?).
  • Additional moves based around exploration, and massively overhaul Defy Danger in particular.

I'm also considering something more radical, where every class gets its a Combat and an Explore stat at +1 each, and those have descriptive names. So a Wizard might have Arcane and Lore, and when they get to add that +1 to combat moves when the specific action involves magic somehow, and +1 to explore moves when it involves tapping into some piece of obscure information they've learned. I'm not totally happy with it as described, but I feel like there may be something there conceptually.

Anyways, suggestions and feedback are welcome.

Any update on this Gorbash?
If you've got a gdoc or something I'd happily attack it with some comments

I'm really asking because I want a DWv2 without writing it myself :eng101:

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Pollyanna posted:

I would kill for a Dungeon World 2e, assuming it’s done right.
It's got it's little niggles that's for sure

Someone made a complication pdf of a bunch of nice homebrew stuff plus some bits and pieces from Perilous Wilds which was a great start, but I don't think it went far enough personally

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Sounds pretty rad guys! Keep up the good work and keep us in the loop

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Another very important thing to remember in dungeon world is the players are not looking through a list of moves and saying to you "I roll hack and slash"
Your players must be narrative about it, that said if they are gunning for a specific move it is entirely in their interest to let you know, however it's your choice as the GM when/if those moves trigger

For example, if a player tells you he runs up to a slime and hits it with his sword then gets the dice out to roll hack and slash, that's when you've got to put the narrative first. Any second rate adventurer knows a sword ain't gonna do poo poo to a slime monster so there's no hack and slash to roll. It's up to you if you follow that up with some narrative how it doesn't work, a soft or a hard move

Honestly, I personally don't feel dungeon world makes for a good tactical game, and I'm sure someone will disagree with me. Sure the tags system is there, but personally I feel like they are used better as suggestions to drive the narrative than be used as actual tactical modifiers. I think that DW works best when imaginations are sky high and fantastic. Killing the dragon isn't so much because you had a +2 sword which has +dragonslayer but because a player described how he epically drew the sword from his dying comrade's bloody hands, promised he'd come back to save him, turned to face the sun, blotted out by the dragons shadow, pulled off a cheesy one liner, runs off the edge of a cliff and onto the dragon's back, plunging the sword into its neck while screaming "THIS ONE IS FOR DERRICK THE BARD YOU rear end in a top hat".
Roll hack and slash you beautiful bastard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I was using the tactical combat in terms of comparing 4e to 5e, and why I prefer 4e - because it gives the players more choice other "I guess I just attack again because I'm not a wizard". And that's an aspect Dungeon World shares with 4e that I like - more player choice (although for opposite reasons). I'm aware it's not going to be super tactical, but at least trying to teach and play the game won't feel like another full-time job, so I can accept that.
I want a game that's easy to teach to new players, cheap to buy, and doesn't require a huge investment of time for me to craft the campaign I want. I like tactical combat, but I can accept the trade-off. And I can still set up fun battles where the players have to think creatively and use the environment to their advantage to take out unconventional foes!
Right, sorry I misunderstood

If you are onboard with it then, it sounds like something that could well work for you. PbtA is the king of player choice, since they can do anything which is possible as long as it fits a. what's already been established and b. the current narritive
The moves are there to generalise for you, kinda flipping the "old school" DnD
>pick a move from a list and describe it
mentality and turning it into
>describe it and the GM checks if it fits a move

So, you should be fine, just make sure that the players are fully aware narritive is king and as the GM you always respond using the rules. Honestly, print a copy of the agendas and your move list and you'll never have a problem.
Also make sure you try and do the obvious. This is slipup I've seen people make, they just assume that they need to be edgy and interesting. 9.9/10 times it's better to do the obvious, what you think the players expect, and it keeps everyone grounded in the fiction