Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
Seeing Squirrel-Flower-Butterfly hand in motion was amazing. Also the Piranhas on a plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
drat, I wondered how'd they make Old Joseph look, and it feels like he's not only bigger, he's scruffier lookin' too.

Jotaro's lookin' pretty cool too.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

Nessus posted:

I got the loose impression he was not able to use his evil vampire physique to full effect because he was still slowly integrating with Jonathan's body, while The World didn't have that problem other than the time stop issue. He only starts throwing around steamrollers and stuff after juicing up on Joseph's blood drinks.

I always thought that too, since Dio explains to Hol Horse that because he's not able to regenerate fast enough yet, he doesn't want to risk going out and fighting himself. But then I think about the flesh buds he went around implanting into people. Then again, the eyes and the freezing might be more taxing on his body to use actively, while the bud of flesh is just something he makes then can forget about.

While the eyes and the freezing is cool and all, it would only work on a user's body and not the stand itself. With The World's power, its better to just use all his energy for the stand and the regeneration rather than trying to push those other vampire powers.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

Red Bones posted:

I can't quite figure out how the leaves stand works. Does it just move you in a set direction when you're pushed? How did it make Josuke beat up those cops?

I think all it does is just move you with the leaves under your feet. So it just shifted Josuke in a way that made him hit the cops. Also it seems to be able to quickly move stuff under the leaves around fast, hence the attempted drug deal.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
Since Part 5 is not really tied to Part 6 and most people think the ending is what's weakest, what would you guys think if they redid the ending of Part 5 for the anime (if they get to it that is)?

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

Everything else I'll give you, but this was actually foreshadowed since the first goddamn chapter. Go back and look at every bullshit move that Star Platinum pulls throughout the series. Then think about how it accomplished all that.

At the very least, it was foreshadowed in the middle of his fight with Dio, and I think Kakyoin notices similarities as well?

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
The Lisa Lisa page is my favorite page.

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/169614/jojos-bizarre-adventure-little-by-little-doujinshi_v1_by_no-group/10

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/183366/jojos-bizarre-adventure-part-8-jojolion_ch23_by_daga-kotowaru/23

Didn't this kind of thing happen in Dragon: The Bruce Lee story? Not going so far as to raise a boy as a girl for 12 years, but like giving a boy a girl's name to hide it from an evil demon. Is that a cultural thing in the east or just a one off thing the movie did?

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

onepixeljumpman posted:

From what I remember, we only see that manifest one time in a guard at the prison, and it's very weird. He trips and falls, but before that happens, he sees a vision of him falling over. So everyone has memories of their life progression from the time with Stairway, but it works more like brief precognition.

I don't remember what it is about killing Pucci that causes the universe to reset itself so that everything only has vague similarities rather than being exactly the same universe except for people who are killed by Pucci before the fast forward.

From what I understand, it wasn't just brief precognition. A person knew their entire life before they lived it. The explanation was that since time was fast forwarded and ran its course until reset, every person had already lived their life and their spirit remembered the experience. Pucci felt that since people now knew their entire fate, good or bad, they would gain resolution to face it and be happy. Pucci also said he was the only exception, probably because it was his own stand and isn't effected by sped up time.

Also, Pucci had stopped the reset before it fully finished. He wanted to make sure that he killed Emporio before the reset completed, because even without Joylne, Emporio was fated to escape the prison and may try and kill him. Finally, he warned that if he was killed before the reset completed, the effect would not stay permanent, and would probably change the future too. He even said so long as it was after the reset, he was fine with dying, but otherwise all his work would have been for nothing.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
I understood it as reverting actions/willpower. Diavolo kept seeing himself winning in his predictions, but then it kept reversing back to the point where he threatens Giorno and finds himself wondering why he hasn't acted yet. Then once he got killed by GER, it made it so that even the action of himself dying keeps reversing back to when he wasn't dead.

Also, just a thought about GER being unbeatable: What if you were to somehow trick Giorno hit himself with GER? Like how Alt-Diego cut his own leg off to hit Johnny with the infinite spin?

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Arrow also Fell out of GER at the end so he may have gone back to normal anyway.

http://www.mangareader.net/jojos-bizarre-adventure-part-5-vento-aureo/17/112
http://www.mangareader.net/jojos-bizarre-adventure-part-5-vento-aureo/17/201

Oh snap, I can't believe I forgot about that. I had thought it was permanently fused to the stand.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
Game Informer played the Vento Aureo game for PS2 during one of the segments of their Replay videos. Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1jjUBfMkGA&t=25m10s

JDRockefeller fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 25, 2013

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Ya know if there was one character I would not have expected, Baoh would be the one.

I was actually expecting Baoh for awhile, but as a secret character instead of DLC.

Ha, they should throw in Gorgeous Irene for kicks too.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
Someone has uploaded all the themes available so far:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBeautifulDuwang?feature=watch

And they are glorious.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
Nope, it was just a dude. I kinda like it better that way of it being just a mysterious helpful stranger who saved Josuke's life rather than time travel shenanigans.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

onepixeljumpman posted:

So, JoJoveller shipped the other day. One of the things it comes with is names for some previously unnamed stands, and a few have cropped up in the Tumblr circuit.

Green Baby's Stand

Pocoloco's Stand

Boom Boom Family Stand

Tom Jones and Outkast, I love it!

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

Soulcleaver posted:

The 1993 series got the Darby poker game and the fight with Dio (minus the missing steamroller) perfectly. Everything else... not so much.

The whole desert fight was pretty accurate too.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
About the Pucci reset stuff:

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/jojo_s_bizarre_adventure_part_6_stone_ocean/c157/2.html
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/jojo_s_bizarre_adventure_part_6_stone_ocean/c157/8.html
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/jojo_s_bizarre_adventure_part_6_stone_ocean/c157/9.html
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/jojo_s_bizarre_adventure_part_6_stone_ocean/c157/10.html
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/jojo_s_bizarre_adventure_part_6_stone_ocean/c157/14.html
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/jojo_s_bizarre_adventure_part_6_stone_ocean/c157/15.html
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/jojo_s_bizarre_adventure_part_6_stone_ocean/c157/18.html
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/jojo_s_bizarre_adventure_part_6_stone_ocean/c158/10.html

His ultimate goal is to complete a full cycle and make the future-sight effect everyone experiences permanent. He stops short of a full cycle however, to get rid of Emporio. Pucci worries that if he completes a full cycle without killing Emporio first, Emporio's fate of escaping the prison might lead to him growing stronger and killing him. However when Pucci fucks up because he himself is the only exception and is not affected by future-sight, and ends up punching Weather Report's stand into Emporio, changing Emporio's fate. After he fucks up and is about to get killed, he warns that he needs to complete the cycle to make the effect permanent or mankind's fate will be altered, and it might be a different future. That's why he starts saying he would gladly die AFTER the full cycle, otherwise all this poo poo he did would end up being meaningless.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

Mr. Maltose posted:

How? That monkey was Polnereff's partner.

No, that was just in the newer OAV.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

I wouldn't be surprised if TMB actually came out dressed like this at some point in the WWE.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

So did anything ever happen with Santana? Isn't he still alive under some UV lights or something? Does he ever show up in parts after part 2?

He never shows up after part 2. I don't believe they ever state if they killed him off or not after the events of part 2. As far as we know, he's trapped under UV lights.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

No No No No.

GioGio: "I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream that I know is just. That Dream is to be a Gang-Star."

So, the 3rd Street Saints?

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

So, nobody's seen goodfellas.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I'm imagining Pesci asking Prosciutto if he's funny like a clown.

Jotaro got his hat from Morrie's Wigs.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

Zorak posted:

E: also, re: the thing in the manga thread, if literally anyone has the ending to Stardust Crusaders "ruined" by an ancient internet meme, either the anime must have become pretty lame by then or said person was pretty lame

There are a few Castlevania enemies / bosses that are elaborate JoJo's Bizarre Adventure reference. The biggest one is Zephyr in Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, who is literally The World: stopping time, throwing knives, Dio postin, and even Dio quotin.

I too learned Dio's power from the meme years ago. Its what got me curious about the series in the first place. The meme however, never told me anything about between the beginning of the series up to how Dio's stand is beaten, which is all pretty drat cool.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
Noticed that in Esidesi's line was "off" was misspelled.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

hoobajoo posted:

The whole of Phantom Blood really feels like a pulp serial from the first half of the 20th Century. A noble British man must learn mysterious techniques of the Orient to fight the monsters of the night, and avenge his father's death. And then Nazis show up.

I sometimes wonder if Araki's original intent for the series before he committed to battle manga was Jonathan becoming a British archeologist and going globe-trotting with Speedwagon (Maybe Zeppili too) in tow while fighting all manner of supernatural monsters. Something between Indiana Jones, Sherlock Holmes, and Hell Teacher Nūbē. Cause I sure as hell didn't expect Jojo to go where it did post-mansion fire when I first read it years ago with the tone it set in those first few chapters.

Is there any interview at all with Araki saying what he originally was going to do before changing to battle manga to make it more popular? The thing I'm most curious about is how far and what he planned ahead in part 1 and how much of it changed by the end.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
After it was crushed to death.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

Momomo posted:

So I'm very sorry to bring this up again, but I've gotten to King Crimson. I think I get his power, but in practice, I'm not really sure how this is different from The World. Yeah, technically he's not freezing time, but he's still moving in his own little world while people are unaware.

I feel like the All Star Battle game helped me understand his power in practice. While he is erasing time nothing can affect him and people still move, but he in turn cannot touch or affect anything else until he stops erasing time. So, he sets himself up as close to the opponent as possible to get the drop on them and attack first.

The World on the other hand, can just straight up kill or smash anything while time is stopped.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

Pomp posted:

It's mostly just that his power is a poor fit for the medium.

If you're saying that it was confusing as hell trying to figure out what was going on in static comic panels (with kinda crap scans), then I agree. Again, seeing it in motion in the game is what helped me grasp it.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

an actual matchup between The World and KC would probably boil down to that whoever activates his stand first wins.

I think it comes down to a few things.

1. Who activates their power first. If Diavolo doesn't start predicting and erasing time first, Dio can get the drop on him and vice versa.

2. If the first shot is a kill or not. No matter who gets the drop, Diavolo is still human, but Dio is a vampire. If Dio gets it anywhere other than the head, Diavolo is screwed because Dio can still stop time if his skull isn't crushed. Diavolo however could not survive a hole getting punched through his chest. Another thing, Diavolo has to stop erasing time to actually attack, so Dio may have time to react and stop time before a hit lands.

3. Stamina. It takes a lot of stamina for someone to stop time, and it takes a lot of stamina for Diavolo to erase time. But again, Dio has that vampire strength that is beyond a normal human's, so if the fight doesn't end quick and they instead end up in a loop of abusing their power in a attempt to one up the other, Diavolo loses in the long run.

4. Range. Think about this, Diavolo has to be in melee range to attack someone, and can only use the environment to his advantage in very situational ways (Using someone else's bullets to kill the guy on the other side of him). Dio however, can move and affect anything during stopped time, ie knives, steamrollers, shitload of cars and boats like in the OAV. Dio does not need to be in melee range to launch his attacks on Diavolo, can setup as many attacks as he is capable of doing so with The World's strength and speed and accuracy, and gives no shits about collateral damage.

Anyway, to actually see them fight would be both pretty cool and kind of fitting. God Vs Devil.

Side Question: Do you think Diavolo, if aware of Dio's power and having a time-based stand of his own, would be able to see stopped time in his predictions? Or would he only see Dio blink around?

JDRockefeller fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 5, 2014

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
Maybe its a Deadpool cancer vs healing factor situation where even if Josuke fixes him, his cells will still actively return him to being a monster.

Or maybe they just kinda overlooked the fact that Josuke could fix him. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
After the fight, the arrow falls out of GER. I don't think it shows GE or GER afterwards at all, so who knows if he still has those powers? The one thing to support him still having GER is that Silver Chariot Requiem continued to be Silver Chariot Requiem after being stabbed. GER temp merging with the arrow could have just been to keep Diavolo from just picking it up and using it on himself too.

http://www.mangareader.net/jojos-bizarre-adventure-part-5-vento-aureo/17/112
http://www.mangareader.net/jojos-bizarre-adventure-part-5-vento-aureo/17/201

I somehow feel that Girono would be fine with going back to just GE, since he wasn't even sure of GER's exact powers in the first place.

• Locked thread