Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Aurain posted:

There's a dude on /a/ who works with JJCA and he said that the translator doing VA specifically said he will only work with that type-setter, so don't expect that to go away.

I don't know where you heard this, but as far as I know, I'm the only active translator doing Vento Aureo, and I never said that. Nobody else seemed able and willing to typeset Part 5, so I just contacted them saying I could write new translations for them if they didn't already have a translator (they didn't) and they took me up on the offer.

I mean, if anyone wants, I can relay to them that you think their typesetting looks like turds (I haven't really looked at them myself, though). And, although typesetting is a horrible fate that I wouldn't wish upon anyone, I can keep you updated with Vento Aureo scripts if you really want to do it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Aurain posted:

The Miasma of the Void sounds pretty awesome, Cool Ice, not as much.

FYI, "The Miasma of Void" is more accurate to the Japanese text, and sounds cooler too. "Spirit of Emptiness" is just a lingering mistranslation that someone probably pulled out of their own rear end.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

"Miasma" is kind of a weird choice of word. It makes him sound like he has poison powers or something.

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, Spirit of Emptiness fits better with the whole all-consuming void thing.

In the VIZ edition it's referred to as the Dark Void of Vanilla Ice, which is also a better word choice than miasma.

瘴気 (shouki), the word they use in the chapter titles, literally means "polluted air that causes disease," although it can also mean "a gloomy and oppressive atmosphere/mood" if you want to get figurative about it. The latter may have been what Viz was going for with their translation.

Anyway, if it's not thematically fitting with Vanilla Ice, that's a problem for Araki and/or his editor.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

DoctorX posted:

I don't see anything about that. He mostly talks about the game and says something about parts 4 and 8 being set in the same town but in different universes. I haven't read it carefully because I'm not that fluent with Japanese, so maybe I missed the part where he says that, though.

I can confirm this. He mostly just talks about video games. There's nothing about the ending of Stone Ocean in there.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Calling the new translations the "good" translations is a bit misleading. Sure, they have better scans and editing, and are written in fluent English, but that just distracts people from the fact that the translation isn't actually very good. Also, the first few volumes just copy the script straight out of Duwang, except they edited it into proper English.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Broseph Brostar posted:

What's wrong with that? The problem with Duwang wasn't the accuracy, it was the awful grammar. Its not like the Part V translation where they just make random poo poo up.

I can think of quite a few things wrong with the Duwang translation:
- You don't get the random Emphasis that Araki inserts into his Dialogue.
- The gangster doesn't diss Josuke's hair by comparing him to Astro Boy
- Josuke doesn't go, "What was that again? Didja say my hair looked like Sazae-san's?" when he's punching him.

That's skimming the first chapter, but I could probably find more if I had nothing better to do in the afternoon. Anyway, trusting that Duwang is a good translation means having faith that the guys who translated Jojo into Chinese, as well as the guy who translated the Chinese translation into English, managed to do their jobs without loving anything up. Given the Duwang guy struggles to even form a proper sentence, I think we can agree that even if he managed to translate the general meaning of the text, you're still only getting a hazy image of the original at best.

Although it is better than what we have for Vento Aureo, I'll give you that.

Moltrey posted:

Duwang's somewhat funny when you look at a collection of all the silly lines, but do not actually read Duwang because it's still bad and The Invincible Trio did a good job with fixing up that dumpster fire.

I don't want to get too deep into this, but there are times where they completely miss the meaning of the text where Duwang actually did decently, like so:

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 10, 2015

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

dogsicle posted:

well "toki wo tomare" generally follows za warudo, that's the only case i could make for a meme singlehandedly spoiling his power

Fun fact: "Toki wo tomare" is ungrammatical because "tomare" can't take a direct object. The actual quote is "toki yo, tomare", so instead of DIO telling The World to stop time, DIO commands time itself to stop, and it just listens to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

That ain't Fugo

• Locked thread