Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Is 'My Conquest is the Sea of Stars' the movie you guys are talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

House Louse posted:

I remember Hanasaku Iroha being a series with guests kidnapping the staff, a heron wandering around attacking people, and pretend soldiers fighting over the inn. Not my idea of bland. Did it all go wrong after I dropped it?

Does anyone know a realistic series about pregnancy? I was reading Spotted Flowers, which isn't quite what I was looking for - an otaku sex comedy instead of a drama - but I got a geeky pleasure from seeing it mention 4D scans.

Well if you're okay with werewolves I thought The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki was great. It's drama and its not wacky or anything.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Tamako Market is extremely boring, don't watch it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Viggynash is overtly negative but if you weren't watching since the beginning there is no reason not to wait till the bluray release since the animation has a lot of obvious space for improvement.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sinking Ship, try Honey and Clover.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Has anyone seen Zipang and is it any good?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

If you like Servant x Service why not watch the better Working!! from the same writer? No fantasy though.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Do anime musicals exist?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

No an anime in musical format, I know about the tons of musical adaptions from animes (and games since I watched the Phoenix Wright one)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Yeah I'm not counting K-on! and Beck cause the singing makes sense in context. Nerima Daikon Brothers sounds like the sort of thing I'm looking for though. Maybe Red Garden too but I can't remember any Gonzo shows I've liked.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Xander77 posted:

In other news, Romance of the Three Kingdoms apparently has a bunch of adaptations, anime or otherwise. Which, if any, are good - anime or not?

The live action 2010 chinese one is really good. Its also in its entirety on youtube. From what I've seen of any anime adaptions they weren't any good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNHnX4xsplo

As for your abridged question, i really liked the yugioh when I was like 12, but I was also like 12.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Everyman posted:

The thread gave me some pretty amazing recommendations last time around, so I defer to your wisdom once again.

This time I'm looking for anime/manga that centers around or prominently features family. Genre doesn't matter much to me, so anything from Yotsuba and Usagi Drop to Stardust Crusaders would fit the bill. Hinamatsuri is another example with the father-daughter relationship between the two main characters. Something with a bad rear end parent as the lead or the kid(s) setting out for the sake of their family would be pretty great, too!

I'd like to avoid anything horribly depressing like Grave of the Fireflies. And Oreimo. For the love of God nothing like Oreimo. :gonk:

my girl is usagi drop without weird stuff, oyaji is about a tough dad. try cooking papa too

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Salaryman Kintaro
A famous biker gang leader honors his wifes dying wish to give up his violent ways and raise their child as a normal Salaryman. Things do not go according to plan. Anime is decent but manga is better IMHO.

I can't find this anywhere and the only site that had english translations for more then 5 chapters seem to not exist any more

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Wark Say posted:

Thanks for the Level E encouragement! First two episodes were okay. Let's see where else this crazy train goes.

Now, I have a couple of questions, but first, I think I need to make a confession: Ever since my niece started living with me, she's been getting along with all the kids her age in the apartment complex and she... well, thanks to them, she's been getting into Twilight.

I mean, I understand: She's 14 and sort of into literary fiction, so of course she was going to run into Twilight sooner than later. Apparently, one of her friends who's just as much of an anime enthusiast as she is told her that Strike the Blood is basically a Japanese version of Twilight. Now, I have yet to see / read anything about this series, but because I find myself having a somewhat morbid fascination with what a Japanese version of Twilight might contain, I ask you: Is this true? Is Strike the Blood seriously a :japan:-flavored version of Twilight?

And the more important question: Am I a failure as a guardian for allowing this to happen? :negative:

orange marmalade is manwha twilight so get her to read that

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its good

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Your way works too posted:

Alright I have a bit of tough one for you guys but I have faith you guys will kill it.

So I just read 20th century boys and when I started it I was convinced it was a masterpiece, however after each time skip I became less and less interested in it. I figured out that what I actually wanted was a fairly grounded piece set in post war Japan. I am looking for anything set in 50s 60s or 70s Japan that includes at least minor cultural or historical aspects.

Although barring that I will take anything set in Japan during those time periods.

EDIT: In return let me leave this recommendation of exactly the kind of thing I might be looking for and a wonderful manga in it's own right. A Drifting Life is a auto-biographical story of Yoshihiro Tatsumi's life as a mangaka from 1945 to 1960. It's quite excellent.

tetsuwan girl. its about womens baseball in post war japan

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

is another good, or is it just gorey?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Triggerhappypilot posted:

I've been on a bit of an anime movies kick lately because I haven't had the time to get invested in full anime series. I've seen pretty much all of Makoto Shinkai's movies, a bunch by Mamoru Hosoda, and I'm pretty much up to date with Ghibli minus The Wind Rises. Are there any other worthwhile ones out there in the same vein? I guess I can't really say they're too similar, but they're not really super pulpy like Akira and the movies I used to watch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memories_%281995_film%29

Kubla Khan posted:

Could someone suggest a good anime that's actually superior to its manga source material?

k-on

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sydnesider posted:

Ok I started watching 'From the New World' and would recommend it based on the first arc, if you are looking for sweet action/mystery, but then I watch episode 8 and now the majority of students are homosexual with no foreshadowing. I'm glad they take it further with tongue kissing/making out but it just comes out of nowhere. I guess puberty has changed in a thousand years.

you should look up some of the reactions from when that episode first got released after you finish the show, it was really funny

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

Isn't Usagi Drop josei? Why would a josei have something like that? :wtf:

the same reason a lot of romantic comedies in asia portray stalking as romantic, people can be dumb

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

El Cazador de la Bruja

what does the tagline 'they won't choose between dead or alive' mean? are they taking the bounties undead??

edit: realized that maybe they are the ones being hunted instead

Davincie fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 3, 2014

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it was a good idea

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The_Frag_Man posted:

Not directed at anyone in particular but if you actually sit down and watch the same episode 8 times in a row you are an idiot.
Just watch one of them and then read about the minor differences online.

the opposite is true

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

digital404 posted:

beyond the recommendations in the adtrwiki, is there any other recommended like daily lives of high school boys, devil is a part timer, or level e?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692700

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the ending isn't great, but neither are tales endings

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ManOfTheYear posted:

Is "cop show" anime a thing? What I really want from this world The Wire-esque anime

good luck
http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/tags/police?page=1

but read like shibatora or Misappropriation Investigator Nakabo Rintaro or something like that. closest you are going to get to realistic unless you want to watch one of the many bad japanese police dramas

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i've made a breakthrough in the case
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bgRoz3rJCw

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Tarodia posted:

Hey folks, I'm looking for some musical anime! Something with a plot that revolves around performing, making music, or even the industry in general. I love Beck and Kids on the Slope, so don't suggest those. I thought Detroit Metal City was just ok. Any genre is fine, though I'm not particularly fond of idol/jpop stuff. I'll still give a show about that stuff a chance though, if y'all think it's especially good.

nerima daikon brothers is a musical show. basically japanese blues brothers. it's not great though and if you've seen 1 episode you've seen them all but since its all on youtube it doesn't hurt to try

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

"I just don't feel like life is worth living anymore. It's not - like anything bad's happened to me, I just can't work up the motivation to care about anything. I have to force myself to get out of bed most days."
"Hrm. Have you watched Barakamon?"

its good because the protag is depressed until he discovers the wonderful world of being a surrogate father

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Saeku posted:

Here's some manga I've read and enjoyed recently about relatively realistic characters with psychological/societal problems:

In Clothes Called Fat
Flowers of Evil
Welcome to the NHK (the novel)
No Longer Human
I Am a Hero (the first few volumes)
Goodnight Punpun

Any recommendations for stuff in a similar vein?

Saikyou Densetsu Kurosawa

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Chas McGill posted:

Are there any animes with an overt Captain Planet style eco message aside from Ghibli stuff?

the last few episodes of parasyte really shove the message in your face culminating in a long speech for if someone somehow did not manage to get the message earlier

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

he has some odd tastes in a lot of things, would not shut up about chaika or ping pong when they were airing

both those shwos are good

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ToxicToast posted:

I am looking for some anime or manga that are similar to Genshiken or Welcome to the NHK. Something that is slice of life of college life or older.

honey & clover, moyashimon, i heard golden time is good but i haven't seen it, servant X service isn't college but its adults, i can't understand what my husband is saying

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

if you want good non-ghibli ghibli movies (lol) you're better of watching a letter to momo or hosoda's movies which all do that shtick way better than shinkai's emotionally empty work

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

spice and wolf? shinsekai yori too

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

junjou drop and otomen are top tier and if you like nukodoku you'll probably like gakuen babysitters too

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

some other shoujo i thought of: koukou debut (old favorite of mine), Akuma ga Kitarite and Tonari no Atashi

i also suggest watching the anime of tonari no kaibutsu-kun over the manga and watching the barakamon anime which technically isn't shoujo, but might as well be (containing so many hot guys and cute kids)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

because its better than the manga and you can always just continue by reading that afterwards?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

kaiji my man. well, not much wish fulfilment but he's the cleverest bastard around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Zwingley posted:

More time is needed, either way. Also sleep.

try the live action show the genius for a clever show i forgot

http://bxrme.tumblr.com/post/69603754319/the-genius-1-2-subbed

start with season 1

• Locked thread