Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

DamnGlitch posted:

Guilty Crown and Fractale were both pretty entertaining. I can understand not liking GC for being a pretty blatant Code Geass clone, but what was wrong with Fractale?

[I mean, aside for not being remotely what the creator hyped it up to be]
It tried really, really hard to convince you that it actually was a Miyazaki-style uplifting fantasy, even when it was clear that the guy just didn't have the skill to pull it off and was basically aping elements of Miyazaki almost at random. The gap between what it thought it was and what it actually was ended up a bit off-putting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

atrus50 posted:

Are there any great celebrations of capitalism out there? Like something where the main characters get stuff, and then use that stuff unapologetically to get more and bigger stuff?
There's a lot of trade and commerce stuff in Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, although it's more along macroeconomic lines.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Chas McGill posted:

Looking for something chilled out with nice music that I can watch before bedtime. I don't want any explosions or shrieking, thanks. It can still have action, but it better be slow and calculated. Something like a better Bartender would be ideal.
Mushishi tends to be rather slow and calculated and has a very chill soundtrack.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Sonata Mused posted:

I enjoyed Nyan-koi. But I think I liked it more for the voice acting rather than the actual show.
I liked it as well, but I will watch just about anything that features Ryoko Shiraishi in a prominent role.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

CommissarMega posted:

Okay, this might be a long shot, but does anyone have a recommendation for a good romantic (dark, slice of life- poo poo, I'll go for ecchi in a pinch) anime that has really sappy, happy endings? I'm talking shouted declarations of love, happy smiles all around, tears of joy, deep kisses only broken when they come up for breath, hugging, soaring music, cherry blossom petals every-loving-where, "And they lived happily ever after", the WORKS. Again, genre or even level of fanservice doesn't matter, and hell, neither does the orientation of the characters. Just an awesome love story with a gloriously happy ending.

Bonus points if it has metal as a soundtrack, but that's less 'recommend me an anime' and more 'if I won all the lotteries, this is the anime I'd make'.
You don't get the full payoff in the anime series, but Fruits Basket has a really happy ending, and the end of the anime series (before the tacked-on last 15-ish minutes) gives a really good feel for the emotional impact of the ultimate ending. The manga ending has something like 10 different couples finally getting together, which is about as happy and sappy as you can get. The anime also has a really good soundtrack, although only a little metal in it. Unfortunately most of the translations on batoto are kinda lovely.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Keep in mind that Mononoke is a spin-off of an earlier series, Ayakashi. Although full disclosure, I've seen Mononoke and never got around to watching Ayakashi myself. :v:
Only the third section of Ayakashi is Mononoke-style. The other parts are okay, I guess, but they're not Mononoke. Great ED, though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
De gustibus non est disputandem. You don't have to like anything.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ViggyNash posted:

I just wanted to make sure because I'm using university internet and they don't take kindly to copyright infringement as you would expect.
Do they distinguish between legal and illegal torrents? I know my law school's network basically just went "you're uploading, cut it out."

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nate RFB posted:

I actually really hate the first ~20 or so episodes of Brotherhood because they completely half-assed them assuming people would have already watched the first series.
There's a character who pops up a bunch towards the end whose entire introduction got cut from Brotherhood. It's not a huge thing, it's just really blatant that they expected people to have seen the first series or read the manga.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ViggyNash posted:

But after watching Fate/Zero, I only now can claim to have witnessed the pure genius of Gen Urobuchi. On top of that, pretty much every aspect of the show mirrored the quality of the writing.

Even though not everyone would enjoy the atmosphere or seriousness of the show, I absolutely believe this is something everyone should watch.
One little detail that people who missed the broadcast run miss out on: That episode where we see Kiritsugu's relationship with the mage hunter who essentially raised him like a (messed-up) son, leading to him ultimately killing her with the world's most emotional surface-to-air missile launch? It aired almost a year ago to the day, just in time for the second Sunday in May.

Happy Mother's Day!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Wark Say posted:

Tonight, I'll start watching LoGH... however, since I'm pretty much just going to watch that for the rest of the year on Fridays, I need a further recommendation for the weekends: Can you recommend me something creepy to read or watch?

Now, when I say creepy, I say in a sense of something akin to Horror or Thriller, not like... you know, skeevy :pedo: bullshit or anything of the sort. Something that makes you cringe because you can't help but to get this feeling of complete helplessness when watching the characters. Like what the Silent Hill series had going for it on the original tetralogy or Shiki on its more :suspense: moments.
Read Uzumaki by Junji Ito. Or anything by Junji Ito, really. Soil is also a good creepy series.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
It's been a while, but I recall Excel Saga being pretty funny.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Blhue posted:

Read Yumekui rather than watch it. The anime is pretty mediocre, and diverges from the manga in some ways straight from the beginning.
It does do atmospherics pretty well, though, especially with the music.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Corte posted:

What I loved about the animes I listed(notable expceptions being Toradora and K-On obviously) are the following:
-mysterious pasts that you learn about over the length of the show
-interesting and complex characters
-smooth over-arcing plot that doesn't always dominate the story but has some substance to it
-good balance between comedy, action and emotional moments
-gorgeous artwork
-mature themes

Kino's Journey
Shigofumi

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
.hack is a great soundtrack, pity the anime is so bad.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Robert Denby posted:

Plus you meet his equally hosed-up family in season 2.
I thought they showed up at the end of season 1.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtUa9nqj0Iw

(Disclaimer: I only watched a season and a half of LoGH before getting bored and do not actually know the answer to your question.)
Totally missed an opportunity for a Kaiser Caspar joke in there.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

House Louse posted:

And to rerail: has anyone seen Ghost Hunt? How is it?
I saw it a long time ago, and my recollection is that it was fine, if nothing especially fantastic.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Piling on for Tatami Galaxy and Honey & Clover.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ALEX TRILLTON posted:

I'm getting my friend into anime, she really liked Madoka Magica and Cowboy Bebop. What else should I show her? She likes stuff that "isn't 'fluffy'".
Baccano!, Kino's Journey, Mushishi, The Tatami Galaxy, obligatory Legend of Galactic Heroes.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Qwo posted:

What are some good anime shows that don't conform to the anime "genre"? In other words: no creepy, hypersexualized, weak women (I liked Ergo Proxy for this and disliked the new Battleship Yamato series for the same reason); no inexperienced, idealist youth protagonist who astonishes his elders with cringe-worthy overly-dramatic diatribes (I could not stand Planetes and Attack on Titan because of this, Now and Then was also guilty); no shallow attempts at middle school philosophy (Big O made me cringe); and no wacky teardrops and "wah-wah" noises (that alchemist show).

It sounds like I complain too much and just hate anime, but I love a good, well-wrought animated piece of fiction, and I'm hoping there's something out there for me. I get into "animation" moods quite frequently but haven't found anything I liked since I discovered GITS.
Mushishi.

I'd also say Kino's Journey, but your opinion may vary on whether it contains shallow attempts at middle school philosophy. It's basically Gulliver's Travels, including the requisite not-too-subtle metaphors.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Post less, watch more.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Ascetic Crow posted:

I'm looking for some good horror manga/anime that isn't Junji Ito or Satoshi Kon. Can I get something that's actually scary?
Soil.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Q.E.D. is basically Encyclopedia Brown in manga format solving murders.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Redcrimson posted:

Evangelion is pretty much the polar opposite of what you're looking for. It's Robot High School from the point of view of the angsty, cynical, emotionally disturbed, and socially awkward teenager that literally gets beat up on the very first day of school. It's less of a Giant Robot Show and more of a Psychological Character Study.
Evangelion is Giant Robot Middle School.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Captain Invictus posted:

No, Evangelion is Giant Robot Special Needs School.

Angels are the various crippling disabilities and psychoses that everyone suffers.
You say potayto, I say potahto.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Japex posted:

Internet/Computer releated series? Already watched Lain, GiTS and Welcome to the NHK!!
Something with a heavy focus on 2channel culture or realistic programming would be optimal.
Denno Coil isn't really 2chan-ish or about realistic programming, but it does have a lot of stuff about internet/AR technology and how people use it and are affected by it. Eden of the East has a bunch of AR/social media stuff.

Senior Scarybagels posted:

I added it to my list of stuff, but I probably won't watch the entire series, if I must I would probably watch one of the movies, so which movie would you suggest?
If you mean for LoGH, then My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars is a good intro.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I found Simoun really good, even though most yuri shows have never been particularly interesting to me.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
It doesn't exactly expand in scope, and it's more like a collection of short stories than a story with a single ending, but Mononoke is excellent and fulfills the other criteria quite well.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

unpronounceable posted:

Do yourself a favour, and just listen to the soundtrack. It's the best part of hack//sign by a good margin.
It's such a great soundtrack, and yet they somehow managed to use it poorly.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Thunderfinger posted:

My question is, why the hell hasn't this school been shut the gently caress down? I'm only about seven episodes in so far and it seems like, after the seventh or eighth death in one week, the whole place should have been shut down and condemned. That seems like a great way to end a curse right there, don't you think?
Because "there's a cursed classroom causing all those students to die in accidents" is not a reason commonly accepted by governmental entities who would be responsible for shutting down schools.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Ibexaz posted:

I'm looking for something despair inducing. Characters up against insurmountable odds. Something that'll make me say "Holy poo poo, how could they EVER get out of this jam?" I watched the most recent Berserk film and it was pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Is there anything else out there that captures that struggle so well?
SaiKano.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Saikano isn't about the struggle, it's just about completely helpless protagonists getting metaphorically hosed over and over and over with no recourse except to look sad about it and commit involuntary genocide.

I mean, if he wants the answer to "how could they ever get out of this jam" to be "ahahaha, as if" then sure, watch Saikano.
He did ask for despair inducing.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nate RFB posted:

FB isn't bad, but if manga is at all on your radar I'd say go with that version instead. The second half (which wasn't animated) is far and away the best part of the whole story.
I'd disagree a bit with this. The anime has a great soundtrack that's used well, the comedic timing is excellent, and episode 18 is a thing of wonder.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

a kitten posted:

I'll have to look at Zetsuen no Tempest too, it's been sitting in my crunchyroll queue since it aired, and I'll give a peek at the other suggestions too. Thanks!
It's one of those series where you need to watch a couple episodes to really get the tone it's going for, and just watching the first bit might make it seem like a pretentious mess (I dropped it after the first episode but came back to it because I was bored), but it regularly takes the piss out of itself and does things that are awesome and ridiculous like have a dramatic confrontation turn into a multi-episode debate on the mechanics of time travel with everyone arguing over background music more appropriate for the Gotterdammerung.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Chas McGill posted:

Is Witch Hunter Robin any good?

My recollection is that it was decent, but not anything special.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Insurrectionist posted:

You should watch Simoun. It's not that related really but enough to justify recommending it.
Simoun is one of those series with a really bizarre and intricate premise that succeeds largely because it takes that premise and its implications seriously instead of then reverting to more familiar patterns.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

The Black Stones posted:

Since the Sci-Fi stuff has already been recommended, I'm reeeeaaaalllly going to suggest you watch Mushi-shi and Moribito ASAP.

Throw Kino's Journey on the pile.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Jabarto posted:

Mostly I'm interested in comedies, and Cromartie High School is my favorite so far. The comedy section on ADTRWiki mentioned Astro Fighter Sunred, which looks really good, and Azumanga Daioh, which I don't think I can get into. Beyond that, Panty and Stocking and The Devil is a Part-Timer! were great, especially the latter. Anything involving parody or absurd humor is a big hit with me, so is there anything else that might fit in with what I listed here?
Squid Girl was rather well received here and gets rather absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Uthor posted:

Hey, Goons. I wanna get my cousin an anime for Xmas, but need a recommendation (I'm more of a sci-fi comic book guy). She's really into things like Zelda and Shadow of Colossus, so I was wondering if there is a movie or a short-ish series out there in that vein of adventure and world building.
Kino's Journey and Mushishi are probably the closest I can think of to the tone of Shadow of the Colossus.

• Locked thread