Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Recommend me anime about REVOLUTION.
Gurren Lagann.

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

Looking for something chilled out with nice music that I can watch before bedtime. I don't want any explosions or shrieking, thanks. It can still have action, but it better be slow and calculated. Something like a better Bartender would be ideal.
Kino no Tabi/Kino's Journey would be a good choice. There's a two parter that's somewhat action packed, but even that is pretty slow and calculated about it compared to most action anime. For the most part it's just Kino goes to a place, experiences it, and thinks deep thoughts.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Saturday Mornings posted:

2) Any anime where monsters/supernatural companions/living weapons/familiars etc. do battle with or under the command of human controllers. This is stemming from a childhood love of Pokemon/Digimon/Monster Rancher, so my standards are ridiculously low for this. I just like seeing different sorts of monsters. Anime I've seen even vaguely related to this already: Onmyou Taisenki, Natsume's Book of Friends (not monster battling, but there's lots of spirits), Blue Dragon, the anime adaptation of Persona 4, Medabots, Shaman King, I'm sure there's more. I have not seen Narutaru, but from what I hear it's a bit too hosed up for me to enjoy.
Dragon Drive is a show I remember existing. Wikipedia gives this summary.

quote:

Dragon Drive follows lazy junior high school student Reiji Ozora who routinely gives up on everything he starts and is terrible at his school work. Tired of seeing him give up at everything and continue to perform so poorly at school, his childhood friend Maiko Yukino shows Reiji the virtual reality game called Dragon-Drive. It is a fighting game in which players and their dragon partners face off within a virtual reality city. Reiji's general lazy personality and lackluster school performances lead him to gain a seemingly equally lazy small dragon whom he calls Chibi. Only later do both of their true strengths show as Chibi, despite being small and sleeping in his first appearance, turns out to be the rarest dragon in the game, a discovery which leads Reiji and his friends to another world called Rikyu.

Also, have you seen every season of Digimon?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Saturday Mornings posted:

Only the first three seasons, and even then it was a while ago. Any particularly good seasons to watch/rewatch?
Digimon Adventure is a pretty solid little show. It's nothing special but it's pretty decent.

Digimon Adventure 02 is a huge mess. It's got some nice ideas tucked away in there and the best villain in the series, but it had something like twelve different writers and two different head writers. So, yeah, it's about as much of a mess as you'd expect. Subplots get tossed in and dropped immediately - at one point a big bad villain shows up, hijacks the actual main villain's plan, then is almost immediately defeated and is never mentioned again. There's not even a big fight with him or anything, he just kinda gets thrown into a garbage can.

Digimon Tamers is legitimately a really good show. Like, no irony or 'if you like monsters' or whatever. It is a well-written show with a lot of interesting ideas, nice characters, and a cool plot driving it.

Digimon Savers has a main character who punches giant monsters in the face.

Those are the ones I've watched recently and can vouch for the quality, or lack thereof.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 24, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

He also wrote Big O, according to the mighty Wikipedia.

And I'm pretty sure he sought them out, not the other way around. He was one of the army of writers for Adventure 02, and I think he was really insistent about writing Tamers - he had a lot of ideas and really wanted to write a season of Digimon, and he really wanted to do it, please let him do it oh corporate overlords. They relented because, sure, what the hell was the worst thing that could happen?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Digimon Tamers stands on its own. It's it's own series - the other two seasons before it are referenced as existing as cartoons in its universe, actually.

There's one character who's a reference to a wonderswan game, but I'm pretty sure it was one that was only ever released in Japan, since, y'know, wonderswan, and he works fine as a character without understanding that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Adventure holds up decently. It's a kid's cartoon, but it knows that, has some fun with it, and even gives the characters a decent amount of development.

The only really striking thing nostalgia might be protecting you from is the animation - pretty much every season of Digimon has a budget of about a quarter and five McNuggets, and it shows.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

So which Digimon is the first American one with Tai and co, and which one was with them in the real world with the bad guy with the worm buddy, and which one was the one with those guys grown up? I remember watching them when I was younger.
Adventures was the first one, Adventure 02 was the other one, and the ending of 02 had them grown up.

And seriously the ending of 02 was terrible. Even beyond the 'must marry all characters off' thing, it had one of the characters from 02 - Davis was his US name, I forget his JP one - opening a noodle cart because that was his dream. Sure, that works - Davis was characterized as being a really simple little kid, I could see him growing up and being completely happy with just walking around town selling people noodles.

But no, that noodle cart becomes world loving famous and a multi-billion dollar franchise.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 25, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wark Say posted:

That sounds horrible. Wasn't there a Digimon series where a human dude went around beating the stupid out of other Digimon without using one? Was that a thing? Was I tripping in one of those really hazy dreams that happen because your body suddenly hates you? Both?
Digimon Savers is the one you're thinking of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrHdXHdVJ8w

He has an Agumon, but he spends 90% of his time punching poo poo. It's pretty great.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jon Joe posted:

Second, I would like it if anyone could recommend a really well animated anime that is just no-nonense adorable. I'd like my heart to bleed.
Tamako Market.

Jon Joe posted:

Finally, I was just wondering what you consider to be the worst anime or manga? I don't actually want to watch or read it obviously, I'm just curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWru5o07j_I

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Booya posted:

What's a good show about stylish, fabulous, and colorful men beating the poo poo out of each other, or maybe even doing other cool things? I watched and enjoyed Gurren Lagann and the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure anime.
Star Driver.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Corte posted:

Just finished rewatching Samurai Champloo and looking for something in the same vein if possible, I've already watched Cowboy Bebop, Trigun and Fullmetal Alchemist which I figure would be go to recommendations. The recommendations in the wiki don't really sound like what I'm looking for either. Basically want something more adult that doesn't center around children and isn't just silly. I did some searching on myanimelist.net and the only thing that really stood out was Rurouni Kenshin but from what I know of it it doesn't strike me as in the same vein as the animes I've mentioned.
Legend of the Galactic Heroes is nothing like Samurai Champloo but it is adult, not centered around children, and isn't just silly.

Also Baccano.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Corte posted:

I'm not sure about Fate/Zero, I've read the synopsis and it seems interesting but the setting seems potentially overwrought.
The setting as a whole definitely has that going on, but Fate/Zero itself only has a couple of moments where it descends into magicbabble, and they're fairly minor.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I rewatched Slayers recently and found myself really enjoying it. So, two questions -

A) How do the other seasons of Slayers pan out? Are there any that should be avoided at all costs?

and

B) Are there any other anime that hit that same animated SNES JRPG/D&D game feel?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Corte posted:

Hold up, there are animes where the dub is recommended? I just finished Baccano! and thoroughly enjoyed it also, definitely a nice change of pace from the more formulaic series.
Baccano, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Tiger & Bunny, FMA: Brotherhood, Steins;Gate, just to name a few that I'd recommend. That said, these days almost any dub at all is going to be perfectly fine. This isn't the 90s, where dubbing was incredibly hit or miss and sometimes a show just got completely butchered.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also Big O's dub was great.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I guess your friend just found Steve Blum inherently hilarious, then? Iunno.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They did the openings for the Vita port of F/SN too, so yeah, I guess they are.

Or the studio that did Carnival Phantasm. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kara no Kyoukai was the first novel Nasu ever wrote - I'm pretty sure he started writing it in high school, even - and it shows. The anime adaptation makes some changes, but it's still pretty true to the original spirit, and the original spirit is very interesting but also kind of clumsy and off in places. Nasu himself even said he's not entirely happy with it.

That said it's still, like I said, interesting, and it's almost worth watching just for the animation and music alone. It's stunning.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

Can someone suggest a lighthearted action show along the lines of Gurren Lagaan/E7?
Outlaw Star, if you can handle 90s animations and the 90s in general.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tiger and Bunny gets serious about its plot and characters once it gets going, though iunno if you wanna wait the five or so episodes it spends setting up the cast before getting the 'plot' ball rolling.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Watch Adult Swim, they're probably still playing the Cowboy Bebop dub. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The bear thing is just Sousuke in a mascot suit. It's not actually a character in and of itself. The entire gag is that he's a super soldier in a stupid mascot suit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The problem with that is Turn A is also basically nothing like any of the other shows.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

It's not like any other Gundam besides Turn A had a good lead couple anyway.
Setsuna/Gundam. :colbert:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Corte posted:

-gorgeous artwork
Mononoke.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Utena movie wasn't a recap movie so much as an entirely different thing - it was almost intensely nonsensical and Utena and Anthy had vastly different personalities. And Utena had a much better fashion sense.

Though it does have the best line in cinema history. Did you think you were the only one who could turn into a car!?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the Chaos;Head VN is alright but loses itself at the end, the R;N VN isn't translated but the anime was fairly enjoyable. It was nothing like S;G, though, beyond the 'wacky science' aspect.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Last Emperor posted:

You guys just made me realise how dumb I was/am. I had looked up beforehand about the series and heard about how the anime of Stay/Night sucked compared to the VN so I had opted to just go straight into Fate/Zero instead.

Unfortunately I'm an idiot who got the names of the two shows swapped around. No wonder I wasn't enjoying this as much as everyone said I should...
It's fine, the weird naming scheme is, well, weird. I have no idea what Fate/Stay Night is supposed to mean, but Fate/Zero is called that because it's a prequel to F/SN.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

Are there any good anime shows with women directors or writers?
Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't know about Chaos;Head, but Robotics;Notes is definitely in the same universe. In a 'a couple of characters from S;G show up/are mentioned' way.

That said R;N is a very, very different anime from S;G. I thought it was pretty good, but it wasn't much like S;G.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'd say it's worth a watch on its own merits, just don't, well, expect it to be Steins;Gate 2 or anything. I don't even mean that in a quality sense, I mean that in a 'it's tone is a lot different and it just feels different in general' way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cisneros posted:

Don't watch Captain Tsubasa if you're not a latin american kid.
What if you are a Latin American kid?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Things have changed, padre. Anime's ridiculously easy to find now. Heck, some stores even actually sell it! And not just stuff you see on TV!

Anyway, for a fantasy world, Slayers is a fun series if you can handle it being pretty 90s in both its humor and its pacing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I really enjoyed Iroha but if chill animes aren't your bag then I don't think it's going to change your mind.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think Index is pretty solid as well. Ultimately, the best way to form an opinion is to check it out for yourself, though I will say one flaw it has compared to Railgun is that it's cast is much larger and even the 'focus' characters don't get a ton of development.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Monkey D. Luffy and Son Goku are two obvious candidates. Amuro is more 'anime' than manga.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Utena? :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I last watched Simoun back when it was new but it was definitely A Thing. I remember liking some of the characters? I honestly don't know.

I will agree that it at least treated it's premise with respect though, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sailor Moon is good if you can put up with the 100s of episodes.

Princess Tutu and Revolutionary Girl Utena are both magical girl shows that delve into deeper themes. I wouldn't necessarily call them 'subversions,' they're just both really smart shows.

PreCure as a whole is light, fluffy fare. You aren't gonna get your socks blown off, but they're just fun magical girl shows. The one thing distinct about them is that the directors are usually shonen directors, so action scenes tend to be paced and animated more like a, well, shonen fight. My personal favorite season is Heartcatch PreCure, but they're all pretty similar in quality from the two and a half seasons of it I've watched.

• Locked thread