Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

To be fair, editing down a VN to LP it isn't really a bad thing if done well.

Not showing off all the story/features though, that's a bad LP.

E: To clarify, let's say I were to LP Clannad (great VN, much better anim). I'd bloody well take an axe to the walls of text it throws at you at times, however I'd make sure to show off all the routes, the bad ends, all the possibilities for that girl's love trick. You'd get the clannad experience, even if you didn't get all the words.

Liking the VN helps, but is not essential

Namtab fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

This seems a bit unfair, because CLANNAD the VN is such a god drat mess when it comes to obtuse structure and pacing problems. Even more so than a typical VN. Obviously they'd have to edit it down, because as-is it's just not LP-able.

I did pick an extreme example to make a point, but even so I'd imagine (having not actually got round to playing it) that the translation of Steins;Gate used for the LP in question contains times where the text is too flowery or just an arseload of ellipses.
It's not about cutting things out, it's about cutting down to make things less clunky, and to make things readable. You improve the flow a little for the reader, because you're presenting static text with a handful of images.

A better example may be the sister title Chaos;Head. There would be ways to improve the flow of the text for the reader. You'd also expect the LP to show off all three (iirc) endings, and the alternative red/green choices at appropriate intervals. I remember there being a few other things that have a minor effect, but iirc most of them are cosmetic.

Either way this fascinating discussion of how I'd LP a VN is prob better off in the VN thread.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

DrPaper posted:

I would like to recommend Super Sonico: The Animation? It's a pretty sick comedy slice of life anime. If you don't know who Sonico is or like her, it's okay, there are lots of cool characters in it. From her friends, to her cool grandma and her chili restaurant patrons, to her college classmates and teacher (it's a class about dolphins btw) and my favorite, her manager, whose like Sweet Tooth from Sony Playstation's Twisted Metal but if he were a cool dude with a sword. She also has like 9 cats.

I personally would rate it my most enjoyed anime of the season (higher than KLK!), but word of warning the ED's have Idolm@ster-tier CG :barf: and some characters have boobs.

I don't usually drop anims, because my mission is to absorb every anim on earth into my head.

I dropped this, it's terrible.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I somehow doubt that poster was being serious.

Trust your ADTRW nakama.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

You should watch GJ-bu

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Drifter posted:

That's weird. I'm three episodes in and it's a bit slow going right now. I'm hoping it picks up by the sixth, or I may just stop.

It's not gonna get any quicker, Aria is really laid back. An anim to relax to.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Everyone should watch Code Geass unironically.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I didn't like Maou-sama. Felt like the whole show's conceit was expecting you the audience to remember he's satan and that's why you should be laughing at this dude getting serious about McNuggets.

Didn't help the case that it aired in the year of amazing SoLs.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

Is Watamote good?

I don't personally think so but it's a p.dark and awkward comedy that apparently reminded a lot of goons of themselves so watch it if that's what floats your boat.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

gnome7 posted:

Yeah, these posts are related. Episode 10 is creepy filler, skip it. Other than that one episode, The Devil is a Part Timer is basically a flawless comedy show.

Flawless except for the minor flaw of an entire episode. Also there's only one joke (satan takes working at mcdonalds really seriously lol). Also it's essentially a show about satan's harem.

What I'm trying to say is that it's a very flawed, unfunny show.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Dragonball Z

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

a kitten posted:

I like K-on! just fine as an anime, but it made me feel like a creeplord when I tried to read it.

That's really weird seeing as very little changes

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Outer Science posted:

I'm looking for something brainless I can sit back and be entertained by without having to think, 12 episodes plus or minus. This probably means it's full of standard anime cliches and isn't very good.

Recent shows I've watched that felt like this were The Pet Girl of Sakurasou, Engaged to the Unidentified, and Haganai. They were all pretty standard affairs that told acceptable stories, if uncreative ones. If you could give me something that's full of bad cliches, really pushing the envelope on what it even means to be a bad harem show, like Henneko or Noucome, even better. Those were atypical precisely because they completely ignored the limits that your typical harem show places on how bottom-of-the-barrel you can be. Reference humor is a plus. Here's my MAL if it helps.

I'd ask for something actually good but at this point I just want something to wind down with after work, reality-TV style :v:

Actually, that's a good way to put it. I'm looking for something similarly trashy to reality TV.

You can watch K-ON without thinking plus it's really good. Watch K-ON

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kubla Khan posted:

Help me out! I'd like to watch something funny/cute, along the lines of Azumanga Daioh and Nichijou.

The emphasis is on funny, though.

Watch K-ON

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

WickedHate posted:

Someone give me a really good series that's super short to watch after Panty and Stocking, please? I have a short attention span and get bored easily, so something with not a lot of episodes(a number in the 20s at most) is best for me. I like actiony, high octane stuff. Lots of fights, or races, or puzzle duels. On the other hand, I don't dislike all slower stuff. Wings of Honneamise and Turn A both rocked, they were really artistic and nice. As long as it's not deathly boring and has some beautiful flair.

OVAs and movies may also apply. I actually haven't seen many anime movies. Saw Akira, loved it, saw Summer Wars, hated it.

Seems like you should watch K-ON

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't care if it's wickedhate, being in a bad place and asking for anime as your "therapy" is nothing to joke about, the user in question is getting therapy so it's a non-issue, but wickedhate making a dumb quip whether joking or serious is moronic and doesn't help

Nah it was p.funny

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

So thanks for recommending Slayers, but which ones are worth watching? It looks like there's a ton of different things including movies ova's a several seasons. Obviously I'm starting off with the first season, but how much of the rest is worth watching and how much is forgettable?

Watch them all, then watch k-on

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Necronomoticon posted:

are there any gundam series that would be the definitive one to watch or head & shoulders above the rest? recap movies are also acceptable.

Wing

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The second coming of anime is the anims i enjoy.

Does anime even need a second coming when we're still in the silver age of moe?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's ok to like a thing, in the recommendation thread.

Little weird when you call a thing the "second coming of anime" tho

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Code geass

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

littleorv posted:

Can someone recommend me an anime with a decent dub please? I need something to watch while I try and sleep.

Dragon ball z

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

Imo, it's the best show to get people into anime with. It's the kind of thing that everyone can find something to like about so it has a low barrier of entry, but it's anime enough that watching other anime afterwards wouldn't be jarring

Seems like someone needs to watch k-on and open his heart and mind

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

For both: K-ON, Kinmoza, GJ-bu

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

E: idk why that posted twice

Namtab fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 8, 2015

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

Whelp, I'm officially requesting this thread's help. I've been on an extended anime binge these last few days (being hospitalized does that to people :v: ), and I'm looking for more. Maybe some resident anime expert knows some other shows/OVA/movies that fit into it... I'm mostly looking for rather short shows with great animation, preferably finished (for optimal binge-watching). I'm also a sucker for non-chronological or confusing narration, if it comes together in the end. A huge negative are static scenes, boring action and general expressionlessness.

Big fan of: Madoka Magica, Baccano, Space Dandy, Cowboy Bebop, Hellsing OVA, almost everything by Satoshi Kon, Redline, Kara no Kyoukai (except movie 6, what the gently caress).
Not overwhelming, but still pretty good: Texhnolyze ( :qq: ), Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (mostly for animation + fun as hell two main characters, didn't really like the others), Kyousougiga, Evangelion (intense dislike for the early episodes, turned incredible in the end), Ghost in the Shell, Tengen Toppa Gurren Langan (very stylish + a bit generic at the start, only really loved it after the time skip), aaaaaaand Kill La Kill + Panty&Stocking (I like stupid + stylish energetic action).
Looked fine at first, then disappointed HARD: Cassheeeeeeeern Sins, Durarara, From the New World, Attack on Titan, Fate/Zero.

Any ideas? I'm not expecting any more lightning in a bottle like Madoka (half the shows listed above I only tried when searching for anything similar), but who knows what else is out there...

K-on

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

Holy poo poo K-On is such a ridiculously feelgood show

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

I can't bring myself to disagree with this notion, because it's still an absurdly feelgood show and your avatar has those angry veins popping out, you don't mess with those guys

But how much more K-On can there be! How much more will you demand from me?

HOW MUCH MOE, I ASK

:v:

K-on.....is good

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Watch K-ON

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Zerilan posted:

Probably looking more for manga than anime here so I have stuff I can read on the bus, but looking for some character study style drama. Can be romance/mystery/etc, with or without supernatural elements are ok, just stuff that really focus more on the characters than events and do a good job of making the audience care about the characters. I guess for examples of what I'm looking for: recently watched/read Only Yesterday and Goodnight, Punpun; which both fit what I'm looking for while being otherwise really different.

K-ON

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

What should I watch if I hated LOGH?

k-on

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

What show should I watch if I like spaceships and have too much free time

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

Bodacious Space Pirates

Seen it, it owns. Is the movie any good?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Terrorists have kidnapped the president's daughter and will execute her unless I can recommend him a good anime to watch that isn't LOGH.

K-on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

littleorv posted:

You should escape the room you are in right now and watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes, the ultimate escape from reality

• Locked thread