Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Are there any good tense gambling anime/manga on the level of Kaiji/Zero? Abstract gambles or standard ones really.

e: The more tense the better.

One Outs looks like a baseball anime on the surface, but it is very much a show about gambling. After 3 episodes it basically turns into Akagi but with baseball instead of mahjong.

Liar Game is a manga that's a decent substitute for Kaiji. Most of the characters are a heck of a lot prettier than those in Kaiji, and unlike Kaiji the games aren't always as simple. But despite that, if you're looking for something similar to Kaiji it's the next best thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

NHK manga definitely put me in a pretty dark place, way beyond just depressing. It's the type of story that'll make you want to call your mother to tell her you love her.

When I read the Welcome to the NHK manga I read it all in one day.

I...do not recommend that.

Toshimo posted:

Liar Game was good. How does One Outs compare?

It's basically Akagi with baseball instead of mahjong. If you're looking for a series where a smart guy thinks outside of the box in order to win, it's definitely a solid choice.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SomniumObmutum posted:

So I've been in the mood for some balls to the wall crazy action. I finished Gurren Lagann about an hour ago, and watching that was inspired by watching the new Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and wanting more stuff in the same vein. I've had G Gundam and Redline recommended to me, and I wanted to get some ideas from another source. Hunter X Hunter is sounding like its probably going to be a thing I'll enjoy from reading what people were saying about it on the past few pages, what else can I watch that will make my jaw drop and my fist pump into the air while cheering?

ETA: I'm not really into blood and gore for the sake of blood and gore but its not completely out of the question if the associated stuff is awesome, if that helps, but what I'm really after is just over the top ridiculousness with likable characters and a generally fun vibe even if there is character death and pathos at times.

The Getter Robo OVAs are perfect if you want more stuff in the same vein as TTGL. New Getter Robo in particular is a good starting spot. Getter Robo Armageddon has the craziest action though it doesn't really introduce the characters which is why it's best to watch New first (even though they're two different continuities). Shin Getter Robo vs Neo Getter Robo should be watched because it's only 4 episodes and has Texas Mack, who has too much high power man.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's basically a Groundhog Day sort of setup, though there are some differences. It's basically a vehicle to drive the story.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's important to keep episode count in mind. Madoka is 12 episodes, while Eureka 7 is about four times as long and did not take any breaks while airing. It's a lot easier to refine the animation of a show when the episode count is small. It's the price you gotta pay to tell a longer story in anime; even the very best ones tend to have a habit of looking good most of the time with the occasional great episode.

Not to mention that a lot of animation errors in Madoka were fixed up for the blu-ray release. I'm not sure if they did any major changes like that to the E7 dvds (probably not, since E7 aired before that became a common practice).

Srice fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 29, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Even though I'm reluctant to call the first anime better than the manga or vice versa, I have no problem calling the manga better than Brotherhood. Especially early on, Brotherhood has pacing problems and bad comedic timing, and it cuts out some good scenes from the manga.

Yeah they were so intent on getting to new content as fast as possible that they skipped stories that were in the manga just because they were in the original anime as well. And the speed at which they did things meant that some emotional moments early on in Brotherhood weren't nearly as effective as in the original anime or the manga.

It really came across as them being unable to decide if Brotherhood was supposed to be for fans of the original series or a new audience, and those initial episodes had some trouble when it came to trying to figure it out.

e: VVVVV yeah, that too. If it's the guy I'm thinking of, it was a single episode in the original FMA! They could have easily gotten the important bits done in Brotherhood in like half an episode if they wanted to.

Srice fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 2, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Ideon's real biggest flaw is that it's 39 episodes of set up for the :fuckoff: :suicide: second movie.

It's a really rough sell because of that. I wish they made two compilation movies instead of one. With good editing that would be enough to show everything important while ignoring a lot of the inane fight of the week stuff.

There's some really cool episodes during the run, of course. But then you have some gimmicky fluff like "These pilots are twins that have a psychic link so their teamwork is amazing!". That combined with the fansubs being iffy at times can really make it a slog to get through, even knowing that the eventual payoff is great.

Srice fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 6, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Wing is a great watch if you watch it dubbed, with some friends and beer!

Watching it any other way can be tedious. The show has aged poorly and it's not like it was amazing to begin with.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Robotics;Notes is decent. Not as well put together as Steins;Gate though.

Chaos;Head is to be avoided at all costs. It is the worst kind of bad: the boring kind.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Endorph posted:

Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine?

The same director also worked on Michiko and Hatchin. Both are quality shows!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

I enjoy Index somewhat, but objectively speaking, it's awful.

Edit: To elaborate, none of the characters have much depth, Index herself is really annoying when she's around Touma (although she isn't actually that important a character), and the author has obviously done no research about anything. Also, there's a fair amount of sexualization of ~14-year-old girls.

Edit 2: Also infodumping. I normally have a fairly high tolerance for that sort of thing, but in Index the infodumps often don't even really explain things so much as introduce new plotholes for no reason.

I never finished it, but from what I watched of Index it seemed to me like all the infodumps would only be important for the current arc, and then when the next arc would come along 99% of the infodumps from the previous arc would never be relevant again.

It's not like Index is unique in that regard but boooooy there were a lot of long, uninteresting infodumps.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think it's better if you think of it as a trailblazer for those sorts of shows. I don't think it was the first show of its type, but it definitely made that sort of show popular.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

So I recently finished the Patlabor TV series and the only Patlabor thing I have left to watch is the 2nd OVA series. I'll get to that eventually, but in the meantime I'm wondering if there's anything else quite like it. I mean in the sense that it has a great, diverse cast of characters and has no trouble shifting gears from comedy to serious drama and then going back to comedy all while making it feel completely organic. Something that usually fails more often than not, in my experience.

It doesn't have to have giant robots or anything like that. Another example of this sort of thing would be Gintama, which has a gigantic, rather Springfield-esque cast of characters that are used well no matter the tone an episode is going for.

I've seen some City Hunter and it's not exactly what I'm looking for; it's fun to watch every now and then but there are few reoccurring characters and it gets rather repetitive. And I've seen plenty of Lupin III stuff too which I guess *sorta* fits but not exactly; I love the Lupin cast but due to the nature of the series they're mostly static characters.

Due to the nature of the sort of show I'm looking for they tend to not have overarching plots and run for well over the typical 13/26 episodes, but hey if there's an exception to that I'd be down for it too.

Srice fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 16, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I completely forgot that Birdy the Mighty was made by one of the creators of Patlabor. I like the 90s OVA but I've only seen a few episodes of the recent tv series. Sounds like I should go and fix that. Thanks!

Shame that most of Yuuki's manga is only partially translated at best, but I'll have to check out those other titles too.

e: VVVVV Yeah I gotta get to watching that too, I've seen a little bit of it but I hear Oshii had a lot more freedom to do whatever he wanted in the later episodes. I've just been lazy about getting to that point!

Srice fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 16, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A lot of anime studios that try CG projects seem to think their CG is worlds better than it actually is. When Tiger & Bunny was airing I remember that one of the creators was asked why the superheroes had CG suits and I if I'm remembering this correctly (which to be honest, I hope I'm not), he actually compared what they were doing to Pixar. The guy seemed to think that Pixar's movies are popular just because they're CG.

And while on the subject of CG anime the recent Cyborg 009 movie was the best effort I've seen in awhile. The CG was good by anime standards and definitely watchable. But sadly it's not quite the same level as the average western CG movie; it seems like anime studios can never figure out what framerate CG should be at so movement could sometimes be really janky.

Srice fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 21, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nichibros doesn't have the character moments that make Gintama great, but it certainly does a drat fine job at going with a lot of the same style of humor from the show.

As for Gintama itself, it's a lot of fun though the first season is the by far weakest since it has to get through a fair amount of character introduction episodes. Once those are out of the way it has a lot more room to just take a bunch of the characters and stick them into a situation and make it work, no matter how goofy or serious the situation is. In that regard it kinda reminds me of Discworld. Plus Gintama's also able to handle serious arcs well; unlike most anime comedies that have serious moments, Gintama manages to pull it off in a way that doesn't feel jarring at all.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zeether posted:

I'm going to throw out a recommendation for the Patlabor movies because they are outstanding. I own both of the LE DVDs that Bandai Visual released here and while I haven't seen Patlabor 2 just yet (although I'm expecting it to be good since a lot of people consider it to be) the first movie has some gorgeous animation and a great soundtrack. If you like GiTS you should be obligated to check out Patlabor since it's from the same guy, Mamoru Oshii.

Patlabor 2 is the best part of Patlabor and you should fix that asap.

And so should everyone who hasn't seen any Patlabor. Heck, Patlabor 2 can be enjoyed even if you haven't seen anything else in the series (though obviously prior knowledge does help out).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gothicmade did finish and was in theaters late last year! It's just something that nobody paid attention to since it was out at around the same time Eva 3.33 was. Whoops!

Though the fact that there's no news about a dvd/blu-ray release worries me. I hope this isn't one of those cases where it takes years for the home video release, if it ever gets released at all.

As for Paranoia Agent, might as well get those used DVDs. There was a blu-ray release in Japan back in 2011 and nobody seemed interested in license rescuing it then, so I wouldn't count on it happening anytime soon.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Chas McGill posted:

So I just reread a few of my favourite Murakami novels (Wild Sheep Chase, Dance Dance Dance, Kafka on the Shore) and I'm really in the mood for surreal stories set in the real world. I remember I asked this question a couple of years ago when I was getting into anime and I was recommended Tatami Galaxy, Mushishi, Kemonozume etc. Loved all those, so now I'm wondering if anything similar has come out since.

I had hoped that Apollon would have the same vibe, but despite the setting and focus on jazz it wasn't particularly Murakami-like. Still loved it, though.

Kaiba and Mind Game are both by the same director as Tatami Galaxy and Kemonozume, so you should definitely check those out if you haven't already. Kaibi is sci-fi but Mind Game sorta takes place in the real world. It gets a bit crazy but since you liked Kemonozume you'd probably like the sort of craziness Mind Game gets into.

Also it doesn't exactly fit your criteria, but since you brought up Murakami I gotta mention that Haibane Renmei is heavily influenced by Hardboiled Wonderland and The End of the World. I haven't seen the show (something I've been meaning to fix) but I do know of that Murakami connection.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well I just binged through the first OVA series of Patlabor and loved it. Is the actual TV series any good?

The TV series is decent. It has a few too many episodes about monsters/ghosts/etc (and really, the first OVA series had the best ghost story in all of Patlabor so those episodes can get frustrating at times) but it hits more than it misses. If you want to see more of that cast then it's worth watching.

But before that you should watch the first two Patlabor movies, they're better than the TV show by far.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Imagawa's Tetsujin-28 remake doesn't have the bombastic flair that Giant Robo and Shin Mazinger had, but it's still a good watch regardless. And there are a few neat surprises since some of the characters in Giant Robo were taken from Tetsujin-28, and it's rather interesting to see them in different roles (Kenji Murasame plays a fairly major role in Tetsujin-28, to name one. This isn't a spoiler since he's in the OP). The show is a bit different from Imagawa's usual stuff (The middle of the show is a bunch of standalone Twilight Zone-esque mysteries) but it does touch on some themes that Imagawa is fond of.

Also since you mentioned Imagawa but didn't mention G Gundam, you should watch that if you haven't seen it!

Despite looking I still haven't really found anything that quite matches Imagawa's style, so I can't really help you with that. I know he's heavily influenced by Wuxia stories, but I know almost nothing about that sort of stuff.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I watched some of it and it felt Shounen-y as heck. The guy in charge of animation also worked on Casshern Sin's animation though. The action wasn't nearly as slick as Casshern Sins but that's to be expected since Saint Seiya Omega is quite long.

If you're in a shounen mood it might be worth a shot.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

With only having the first half of Valvrave to judge, I'll say that Geass is the better show.

I do like Valvrave though, and I found it to be about a million times more watchable than Guilty Crown ever was.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Full Metal Panic is definitely one of the more high school-y giant robot animes out there, to the point that it has an entire season with barely any robots in it.

RubberLuffy posted:

Trigun+Trigun Maximum is 17 volumes (3+14), and the anime only uses material from the first 3 or so. I vastly prefer how things go in the manga compared to the anime, but Nightow's art during action scenes ranges from "what?" to "complete incomprehensible clusterfuck".

I really want them to give the Hellsing Ultimate treatment to Trigun for exactly this reason. Nightow makes some fine designs but yikes he really has the tendency to completely fall apart in some action scenes. I kinda wonder if the recent Trigun movie was testing the waters for such a project.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

As a dude who has seen more mecha animes than he should, I can safely say that most if not all Eva similarities in the film were less Eva-specific and more "stuff that older mecha/kaiju shows did that Eva paid homage to".

I can easily believe that Guillermo Del Toro has never seen Eva. He did namedrop Tetsujin-28 and Patlabor as influences though. And there was some stuff that was probably Mazinger related (I know there's a pretty big Spanish-speaking fandom for Mazinger even today so I wouldn't be surprised if he saw that as a kid).

To keep this on-topic, I didn't think about it until typing it just now since Patlabor isn't a highschool anime, but it does have a rather colorful cast that can kinda fit that "Giant Robot High" request, so I say go with that!

Srice fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 21, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

It actually does, do not watch the rebuild movies before the series

Absolutely. 99% of the time production order is the way to go. Eva's no exception.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Geek U.S.A. posted:

So last month in my quest to find another Japanese X-Men show like Darker than Black I ended up watching some of A Certain Scientific Railgun, and it was one of the worst things I've watched in years. Disgusting show with silly writing. Are there any other good shows inspired by the X-Men or is it pretty much just DtB and its OVA?

Scryed is definitely something in that vein. I liked it back in the day but I don't know how it has held up since it has been many years since I last saw it. Still, worth taking a shot!

Towa no Quon also had a huge X-man vibe to it. I've only seen the first episode so I can't speak to its overall quality, but the X-men influence was incredibly obvious (government hunting down the people with superpowers, a disguised shelter for them, that sort of thing).

There are tons of shows like that since teenagers with random superpowers might as well be the lifeblood of light novel-based shows. Sadly, most of them are not good.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Akira is my go-to example for something with phenomenal animation. It's a different style from Redline, but hey if you somehow haven't seen it, you should!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I notice that Makoto Shinkai's stuff wasn't mentioned for important animation.

Personally I think he's a guy who really needs to figure out how to tell more than one story, but Voices of a Distant Star is short and was animated solely by Shinkai himself on his computer. Of course that doesn't sound like a big deal now, but in 2002 it was rather groundbreaking.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ippo is the sort of show that will make you want to workout anyways, so it's a great choice! The show doesn't gloss over how important training is, but luckily said training is done in an entertaining manner.

Plus it's a good time to start on it since season 3 is finally coming out this fall.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A bit late on the "new, popular" recommendations but I noticed a few that people forgot to mention.

Bakemonogatari and its sequels are all quite popular. The show's not for everyone but it features quirky dialogue while Studio Shaft does their thing.

Gundam Unicorn sells like hotcakes (Each volume sells over 100k which puts it at #1 in anime sales each year except when powerhouses like the Evangelion movies are released). It started out being rather accessible to newcomers to Gundam but I'm not sure how it is as of the latest episode (perhaps someone who hasn't seen much Gundam could answer that? I can't really distance myself from all my Gundam knowledge to think of how someone who's not into Gundam feels about it). But either way, it's quite good and there's a reason why it's the biggest hit Gundam has had in a long time.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yankee Kun to Megane Chan is amusing. What I read of it was funny enough and it was good at not getting too repetitive. Pretty decent all around.

Liar Game is like Kaiji but with people that aren't ugly. Some games get a little too complicated for the sake of being complicated, but it's definitely a good substitute for Kaiji (but if you haven't seen Kaiji, watch that first. It's better). It's not the best in the genre but it's still very much worth checking out, especially since there's not a lot of gambling manga available in English.

The author of the Sword Art Online light novels was 15 when he wrote them. It's basically Twilight for otaku in the sense that it's poorly written wish-fulfillment. I don't if the manga differs from the light novels or anime, but regardless I'd say there are plenty of better ways you could spend your time. I can't imagine the manga straying that far from the source material anyways.

e: VVV I haven't read Kimi no Iru Machi but knowing that it's by the guy who made Suzuka means I can easily believe in its awfulness.

Srice fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 6, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

OxeHunden posted:

I watched both Gundam OO seasons and enjoyed them, definitely one of the better gundam series. Is Unicorn comparable or is it very different?

Unicorn's pretty good. It has high production values and while the UC connections do come up from time to time, I think the story manages to mostly standalone (though the final episode hasn't come out yet so I could wind up eating my words).

Though IMO, 08th MS Team might be a better choice if you're unfamiliar with the Universal Century canon. You don't need to know anything and outside of the last episode (which doesn't even need to exist) it's rather enjoyable.

OxeHunden posted:

Stuff I've got but haven't started yet: Stein's Gate, Psycho-pass, Space Battleship Yamato 2199.

Yamato 2199 rules. It does a fine job at remaking the original series for a modern audience. The story might not seem all that special nowadays since so many shows were influenced by the original, but regardless it's a show with a solid cast and nice animation. It's not mind blowing but it's executed very well.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Redcrimson posted:

They should tell him to get his rear end back to work on Ninja Scroll 2 :colbert:

He tried! He even put out a teaser for it! But he just can't get funding because hey it's not the 90s anymore :smith:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Keyboard Kid posted:

Whoever said that karuta (the sport) takes a backseat is very, very wrong. It's a real stretch, but if you continue through episode 10-11 I think that's the point where you will know if you want to watch this show or not. Either way, you'll enjoy some excellent animation and music and you'll probably be at least entertained by it.

I think a good way to explain that sorta thing is that a lot of good sports anime use the sport in question as a means of showing you how it shapes and develops the characters. And Chihayafuru is no different. Chihayafuru could apply the same methodology to baseball or soccer or underwater basket weaving and I'd still love it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nipponophile posted:

Dude thought Gurren Lagaan was too wacky, and you're recommending FLCL?

Honestly, do you people even read the original request for recommendations, or do you just parrot your favorite shows every time someone asks?

Anyhow, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, and Baccano! are all good recommendations. I'd add Monster if you can find it. It's a very atmospheric mystery-adventure with solid writing aimed squarely at adults.

Seconding Monster (though of course the other suggestions are solid choices too). There is talk of HBO making a live action version, but who knows if that will ever come to fruition. But I bring that up because it's exactly the sort of show that would be a hit if it were a live action show on a cable channel. Most of the cast are adults and there's little in the way of anime bullshit. Plus the plot is intriguing *and* has a solid resolution, which is nice since the typical long, overarching mysteries on TV have to be some sort of JJ Abrams ~mystery box~ that the writers don't know the answer to until the end.

e: VVV I wouldn't necessarily call it a terrible idea, I've had success showing off TTGL to non-anime watchers and they've liked it. Though in this particular case, we have someone asking for recommendations that doesn't want wacky stuff so yeah it's a bad fit.

Srice fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 17, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Guyver posted:

Just for animation? Youtube is a good place to get your bearings. Give "sakuga" a search. What comes up will be one of two things, either a video of the best cuts in a current anime or a spliced together video of an animator's body of work. Nearly all but the most budget starved or most poorly produced TV anime have some excellent work in them. Some shows with good animation are just lovely so personally I've given up chasing it through shows that never would have peaked my interest otherwise. If a show has some good animation in it then sooner or later someone is going to put it on Youtube or word will get out that lovely Otaku Show #134 has a 30 second cut that will blow your mind and you can just watch that.

Twitter has a lot of animation nerds so that's a good place to look.

This is definitely the best way to go since there are some shows with godawful writing but gorgeous scenes.

I really like this guy's videos:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLCC3Gw0J_QT-eC6sRdVgpQ

Dude makes sakuga videos that collect good cuts of recent anime for each month. He's a few months behind right now but there are plenty of good videos to sift through. Might be a good place to start!

Also Macross: Do You Remember Love wasn't mentioned so I gotta put that out there. It's certainly no Akira or anything but as far as 80s animation quality goes it's definitely in the top 5.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Watch Azumanga, watch Bebop dubbed, and the ROD OVA is a lot better than the tv series was so you should check that out first.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kara no Kyoukai does have the advantage of being a series of movies, so I would hope that it would look a lot better than something done on a tv budget.

(Though personally I feel like Fate/Zero had pretty good animation sometimes but is something that would never come to my mind when thinking of the best)

Srice fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 18, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I like Steins;Gate though the side characters never really break out of being just "wacky caricatures". If you're not sold on Okabe's mad scientist rants by now then you're probably not gonna like the rest, since he really carries the show.

e: VVV They did have story arcs that take up an episode or two but I felt like most of them didn't really develop the characters, it felt more like giving an explanation for why they act the way they do. Which is fine but if you're not a fan of the side characters as they are I feel it doesn't help much (especially since most of that stuff happens in the second half of the show).

Srice fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Clocks posted:

So I'm not a big anime watcher but I know there are some great anime shows out there. I guess I have been fairly mainstream. I'll name some of the ones I've enjoyed and hopefully there are either similar anime or other simply great anime someone can recommend me.

I'm watching Attack on Titan now and I find it probably one of the best anime I've seen (out of, I guess around 10, so I don't know what that's saying). Seriously though, I can't get enough and I'm sad that I found out about it while it's still ongoing because I have to wait for each episode to come out. I enjoyed SAO and I also really loved Madoka Magica. Other than that I've seen Death Note (it really fell apart after the midway part but way back when I watched it, the first half was decent) and Code Geass (which was all right in some ways, boring in others). I've also seen basically most of Studio Ghibli's films and they are pretty drat awesome.

So I guess while I lean towards stuff that is somewhat more action-y I would love to hear of any other really well-lauded anime that seem like they'd fit in with the above. Thanks in advance!

The ADTRWiki has a section that would really help you out.

http://www.adtrwiki.com/index.php?title=New%3F

• Locked thread