Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CommissarMega posted:

Okay, this might be a long shot, but does anyone have a recommendation for a good romantic (dark, slice of life- poo poo, I'll go for ecchi in a pinch) anime that has really sappy, happy endings? I'm talking shouted declarations of love, happy smiles all around, tears of joy, deep kisses only broken when they come up for breath, hugging, soaring music, cherry blossom petals every-loving-where, "And they lived happily ever after", the WORKS. Again, genre or even level of fanservice doesn't matter, and hell, neither does the orientation of the characters. Just an awesome love story with a gloriously happy ending.

Bonus points if it has metal as a soundtrack, but that's less 'recommend me an anime' and more 'if I won all the lotteries, this is the anime I'd make'.

Oh god now I want this. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TARDISman posted:

So I just finished Zeta Gundam and Black Rock Shooter and I decided I need something remotely cheerful. Any suggestions for slice of life/romance series with a decent English dub? I've already seen Clannad, Azumanga Daioh, and Lucky Star, so that's a bit of a sampling of what I enjoy.

There's a good list of shows simular to Azumanga on the ADTRWiki.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

KittyEmpress posted:

I bought a subscription to Crunchyroll to watch Attack on Titan and HxH. What other ongoing anime are good?

I completely adore Flowers of Evil but it's definitely not what you'd exspect. Valvrave the Liberator is the most fun you can have watching anime but man I wouldn't really call it good.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Are there any good anime shows with women directors or writers?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

akarin posted:

indeed, i've seen them. valium is helping. any other?

Planetes, if you get all happy thinking about space.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 23, 2013

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If constantly going on speeches about love or wanting a spaceship because you're basically seven is wrong I don't want to be right :colbert:.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This might sound crazy, and Girls und Panzer isn't realistic at all in the big picture, but the actual tank battles (most of the show) are surprisingly convincing and exciting. Episode 4 is probably the best indicator of if you'll like the rest of the series or not.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

StandardVC10 posted:

So, how do I watch Daily Lives of High School Boys? Has it been licensed anywhere? The old thread about it had links to I guess torrents but I've never messed around with that before.

It's not as daunting as it looks. I'm not gonna go super into the detail here, but just check out this this search on nyaa.eu. The ones that are blue and just labeled with a number are the episodes proper!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ViggyNash posted:

Maybe it's because I'm watching this after Nichijou and Nichibros, but Azumanga Daioh isn't nearly as interesting as I thought it would be. It's silly in much the same way as those shows, but it bot boring pretty fast somehow.

I thought the same thing at first, but it really really grows on you.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ViggyNash posted:

I think at the end of the day what puts me off about the show is that it feels dated. It doesn't have as much of the charm that Nichijou and Daily Lives did.

The datedness is kind of part of its charm. I found Nichijou and Daily Lives actually flat in comparison. They might look amazing overall, but the direction and individual character work is just so charming in Azumanga!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This season has two great examples: Valvrave for great traditional openings and endings, and Flowers of Evil for playing around with the format. Oh, and Attack on Titan.

You should also check out Haibane Renmei, the composer for the series is Kow Otani, who did great stuff with Shadow of the Colossus.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You might be unable to believe that K-ON isn't creepy. Lots of anime watchers have become completely desensitized to this poo poo, and will somehow completely miss how loving creepy a show is and love it anyway. That's not the case in people recommending K-ON. It's actually a little bit astounding how completely non-creepy it is. Like, anything that could possibly be creepy about the show has been completely sucked out of it, intentionally. You know how some animes just completely exude creepiness? K-ON exudes the complete absence of creepy. It's actually kind of creepy just how non-creepy it is, and I think that what made it so popular among creepy folks is the lack of creepy in the show.

I think Kyoto found that what creeps liked about being creepy about their shows is bringing their own creepy to it, and that creeps would bring their creepy devotion every show no matter what they put in it, so why even imply something creepy when the fans will do that for you? And now they're loving millionaires.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Grenadier posted:

Fact remains that the show sucks unless you watch it with the knowledge that it's social commentary about about three flippant high school girls that adopt a mentally handicapped friend.

Oremo is actually Reefer Madness but for ecchi games and anime.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sarcophallus posted:

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

This is exactly what you want, ViggyNash.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ALEX TRILLTON posted:

I'm getting my friend into anime, she really liked Madoka Magica and Cowboy Bebop. What else should I show her? She likes stuff that "isn't 'fluffy'".

Why would you want to do this to them?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chas McGill posted:

I'll be interested to see what people recommend in terms of non-moe romances.

Does Lovely Complex count? You should watch Lovely Complex.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RabidWeasel posted:

I'll second this even though I found the plot a bit overly cliched for something that otherwise takes itself pretty seriously.

This would be a problem if it didn't use the cliches so very very well. Never underestimate the power of a cute dog and a cute kid for creating understandable character motivation.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

StandardVC10 posted:

I was just wondering about Chihayafuru, since it comes up a lot on this forum and I stumbled into a monthlong Crunchyroll trial somehow. I'm a bit daunted by the volume of it- should I be expecting something fairly serious (which would honestly be pretty new to me as far as anime goes, though there were parts of the Usagi Drop anime, which I enjoyed, that didn't feel like comedy at all) or something character-driven but still whimsical like Working!! or The Devil is a Part-Timer?

It's a sports anime, don't expect anything too serious.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Karuta is a really bizarre and dorky game, and what makes Chihayafuru so great is that they completely recognize that and write it into the the story. You're supposed to laugh at how serious and cliche it gets, and I love that the more pathetic and awful a character is the better they are at Karuta. Whoever told you it wasn't a sports show was wrong, but it actually is the best sports show because it uses the tropes of those stories to do some really surprising and fun to watch things.

The show reminds me a lot of Yakitate! Japan, a shonen show about baking bread that is more obviously going for laughs, but is actually extremely successful at making you care about the Iron Chef style showdowns that frame the show. The thing is, food is actually kind of cool and interesting, so Yakitate! works for its laughs through some really great, over-the-top characters. All Chihayafuru needs to do is have their well rounded and likable cast play Karuta, because Karuta is loving hilarious.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

I feel like I got trolled by the dude saying it wasn't entirely about karuta

Nah, it's just that people who like something a lot are often bad at describing them. It's like people who say Attack on Titan isn't a shounen manga but actually an always-subversive super-dark unpredictable masterpiece, or that Madoka isn't a magical girl show but a super deep deconstruction of the genre. Or anyone who's ever used the word deconstruction.

Chihayafuru is all about karuta, but it's also about what it's like being on a team or just trying to be good at something in general. It's why there's a lot of people who couldn't give a rats rear end about the game who really like the show. These people don't include you, of course.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

Sailor Moon is good if you can put up with the 100s of episodes.

i'm so happy that this guide to important Sailor Moon episodes was posted in the SM thread. It makes getting through the series much less daunting, while still being really fun to watch and showing why it's such a classic.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

Yeah, but that's still at least 100 episodes, and most of the episodes in red aren't really skippable if you want things to make much sense. It makes things less daunting, but 100 episodes is still a crapton. I have friends who think 50 episode series are way too long.

Even getting through the first season of sailor moon is satisfying, imho.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

gnome7 posted:

It definitely started the genre, but it's kind of aged poorly. A lot of slice of life since AD use the same jokes, and the Azumanga Daioh anime's pacing is very very slow.

:rolleye:

Azumanga's comedy chops may be a little overrated (though that slow pace really pays off at times), but SoL shows live and die on their cast, and no other show has a better one. It's believable that these characters care about one another, and the show it by proving that they know how to push one another's buttons. The genre leaves a lot of room for contrivance, but somehow Azumanga manages to make the formula feel like the most natural thing in the world. Most other shows like this feel flat and mean-spirited in comparison.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

jonjonaug posted:

Time of Eve

By far the best thing on Crunchyroll, watch it now.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Trust me, it's anything but.

:rolleye: I think you two might be forgetting how great Sailor Moon is. Madoka is the dark parts of that show amped up to horror genre levels, which is awesome but not like some totally different genre.

But yea, Madoka is worth a try even if you've never liked magical girl shows.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 4, 2013

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Check out this anime called School Days.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This might just be me being a terrible dork, but Steins;Gate and Lovely Complex?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Reccomendation for those who somehow missed these shows: Crunchyroll just added Akagi (on ATDRWiki) to their catalog, complmenting both seasons of Kaiji (ADTRWiki!), which were added a few months ago! Unless I'm missing something, this is the first time they've been available legally. These series are adapted from manga by Nobuyuki Fukumoto, and are some rather brilliant takes on gambling.

Kaiji is the best place to start, with the first season involving brilliant, original life or death gambles, and watching the show present and then explore the nuances of something as absurd as high stakes rock, paper, scissors is addictive, and unexpectedly profound. Kaiji himself is relatable and charmingly pathetic, and he somehow manages to make amazingly smart decisions while gambling only to make loving awful ones when it comes to his regular life. Akagi is a different kind of beast, involving a real life game (Mahjong) and focusing on a character who is freakishly talented instead of barely hanging on. It's a few steps away from obnoxious, but the story smartly handles it's protagonist, treating him more like a spawn of satan instead of some kind of hero. The one hitch to the show is that it can be a little incomprehensible without some knowledge of Japanese Mahjong, but referencing the game's helpful wikipedia page from time to time will help you remember what the rediculious things they are declaring mean.

Oh, and while it works more often than it doesn't, both shows take a slow pace, even for an anime. With a few rare exceptions this is because they actually have a lot to talk about and mull over, and the episodes that don't really work are worth sitting through for the ones that get everything right. The first season of Kaiji is something everyone should try, and from there you have two more seasons of Fukumoto to watch!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Seconding Chihayafuru, it's a sports story distilled into its basic parts and given a huge helping of extreme yet self-aware dorkyness.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kokoro Wish posted:

I tried marathoning it, but the massive 40 chapter translation gap made me stop. I hate it when poo poo like that happens.

Ha, I was mostly talking about the anime, which is available on Crunchyroll. I watched that before diving into the manga, the only chapters I've read being the ones that haven't been animated yet.

Make sure you sort by oldest and start with that one, I've sent that link to two people and both of them have thought it started with the first episode of season 2.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sword of the Stranger is a perfect clockwork action movie.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

Then out of nowhere a couple of weeks ago I somehow started watching Chihayafuru which I loved and I don't really know where to go from that.

Chihayafuru is the pinnacle of anime but you can get close NANA, Lovely Complex, and Princess Jellyfish.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chas McGill posted:

People always say this, but in truth you should just watch it because otherwise you'll only end up watching several inferior series in the time it would have taken to finish LotGH.

You know, posters here act like LotGH is this big commitment and that is doing it a disservice. One of the cool things about LotGH is that it begins with a very tight and self contained movie that that covers everything that makes the main series great. It's called My Conquest is the Sea of Stars and you can get it here. And you don't need to watch everything in one big chunk, because it's not a difficult show to drop and pick up again.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Black Stones posted:

Warning though, you have to have a tolerance for a bit of creepyness here and there from the main character, especially in Nise.

This is an understatement, and the creep factor is far more than just a problem with the main character. The show is unapologetic about being a harem anime for the sophisticated pedophile. There is a reason that it isn't as nearly popular here as the studio's other hit (Madoka, the super popular mind gently caress show of the moment) despite the fact that there is a lot to like about it.

In any case, it's impossible to tell if you are going to like Monogatari until you watch it, and not just for the pedo stuff. The entirety of the show is rambling conversations between weird characters with supernatural afflictions, and it's all uniquely directed and animated. It's basically its own genre and as many people hate it as love it, but it can be addictive once handled. Maybe check it out sometime?

devtesla fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Nov 13, 2013

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Baccano, Black Lagoon, Gurren Lagann, all good choices.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

For TV series, Tsuritama was probably the most feel-good series of the past few years. Catchy opening, silly poses, and Xtreme Fishing. It's got it all!

It pains me to say this because it is one of my favorite things ever, but do not buy this as a gift, it is a very much a love it or hate it show. Everyone I've shown it to turns it off once they meet Haru, one of the main characters, and he was almost too obnoxious for me to watch it. I mean, what makes the show great is how your feelings about him change as the series goes on (to the point where I really really liked him the second time through) but god that is far too much work to saddle someone with unless you know that this is their kind of poo poo.

As for that dude's friend, you should really consider the Gundam body pillow. Like, anything that's a sure enough bet to recommend he's probably already seen (Black Lagoon, Samurai Champloo, Baccano!). Maybe check to see if he has the recent Gundam Unicorn disks, those are pretty great.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The Devil is a Part Timer is an adaptation by the same studio as Steins;Gate and it has the same mix of down to earth setting and fantastical elements. Skip episode 10, though. Eden of The East is a bit bizarre but hits a lot of what makes Steins;Gate cool.

The only shows I can think of that hit the same kind of mix of comedy and drama as successfully as Welcome to the NHK are Jonsi shows like Princess Jellyfish or NANA.

Planetes might also be up your alley, it's a show about space garbagemen that can be darkly funny as well as moody and political.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Try Flowers of Evil, Silver Spoon, Gatchaman Crowds, The Eccentric Family, and Watamote.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Che Delilas posted:

Everywhere I look I read about people just loving Chihayafuru. How culturally impenetrable is it?

Not at all. Most Japanese people don't know anything about competitive Karuta, so the show doesn't assume any prior knowledge of the game. It even does a good job of weaving the explanation of the game into the rest of the story, so it never feels like it's explaining things just for the sake of explaining things.

Zero_Tactility posted:

Should I try getting back into Chihayafuru? I watched through episode 13 and got incredibly fed up with Chihaya and how overwrought she is about everything. It's not a trait that typically bothers me that much, and I enjoy shows with interesting interpersonal relationships, but I was just not interested in dealing with her as a character anymore. Is there any difference in tone on that front in the back half of the season? So many people love the show that I feel like I'm missing something.

You might be missing that the show is actually about this trait of Chihaya, and completely agrees with you that she is a piece of work. The title of the show is actually a pun on her name and the Japanese word for impassionate, which might give you a hint of where her character is developing (it doesn't happen in the first season, however). Also notice that the rest of cast is unnaturally cool-headed, and the contrast between them and the queen of the dorks is something I really like about the show.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

I was recommended and did not like: Yotsuba&.

I literally don't understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
signalnoise this is you:

• Locked thread