Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Wark Say posted:

From the New World was better than Madoka. Off the top of my head (along with what was mentioned above already), so are My Bride is a Mermaid, Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu, Nichibros, Nichijou, Utena, The Tatami Galaxy, Nodame Cantabile, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, G Gundam, Gurren Lagann, Ghost in the Shell:Stand Alone Complex, Penguin Drum and probably a lot more.

Madoka is NOT a bad show (the fact that it's also 12 episodes long makes it pretty easy to rewatch, too); it's pretty similar to Evangelion in that, while a pivotal and fairly influential show, it can get kinda dour, entertainment-wise.

fake edit: It did make Aoi Yuuki fairly well known, though. And she seems to be a fairly funky VA.

You mention G Gundam but not Giant Robo and Shin Mazinger too? For shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I dunno about the intrigue since I only managed to catch the beginning of an episode, but Iria: Zeiram the Animation seems to fit those criteria pretty well.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Your way works too posted:

Alright I have a bit of tough one for you guys but I have faith you guys will kill it.

So I just read 20th century boys and when I started it I was convinced it was a masterpiece, however after each time skip I became less and less interested in it. I figured out that what I actually wanted was a fairly grounded piece set in post war Japan. I am looking for anything set in 50s 60s or 70s Japan that includes at least minor cultural or historical aspects.

Although barring that I will take anything set in Japan during those time periods.

EDIT: In return let me leave this recommendation of exactly the kind of thing I might be looking for and a wonderful manga in it's own right. A Drifting Life is a auto-biographical story of Yoshihiro Tatsumi's life as a mangaka from 1945 to 1960. It's quite excellent.

If you don't mind the old art/animation, Ashita no Joe is a boxing anime/manga written during and set in the postwar period.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

What are some (preferably bad, preferably 80s) horror anime? October is rolling around and I'd like to show some as part of a yearly bad horror-thon I have with some friends. The shorter the better, an OVA or movie would be ideal. So far I have Vampire Wars and Baoh.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Ashita no Joe if you can tolerate really old anime.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I want you to know that you got lucky with RWBY, Cake Attack. I was going to make you witness the majestic awfulness that is Cross Ange, but it seems Crunchyroll isn't Simulcasting it.

Which is for the best. Don't watch it. Not even out of curiosity.

Too late Red, I'm making him suffer through RWBY.

That's just mean

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Pierce_The_Heavens posted:

So exactly how bad is Cross Ange? I have a morbid curiosity and I'm really considering picking it up. I think I might just wait and drunkenly binge watch it once it ends.

It starts with rape and things degenerate from there. Do Not Watch

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

NeilPerry posted:

I'm looking for something stylish but melancholy. I want to feel like poo poo, but not while being bored (so no Haibane Renmei). Doesn't matter what i've seen before, most of it was too long ago to remember properly anyway. Might check Eureka Seven again but I can't even remember if that will do it.

Tetsujin 28 and seconding Casshern Sins

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is Sengoku Basara any good? I've been playing alot of Samurai Warriors 4 lately and I'm craving some more crazy sengoku stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTkLA-5j0AA

Yes.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

What's better, the Saint Seiya anime or manga

I'd say the anime. It scraps a few of the dumber plot points from the manga, is all around well directed, and is one of the most colorful anime I've ever seen. It also has a legitimately good filler arc, a rarity in shonen action shows. I haven't seen the OVAs that cover the final arc of the manga so I can't really speak to their quality, but they're directed by one of the show directors so they're probably fine.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

To play Devil's advocate, isn't the manga more influential than the anime

That's hard to say, both were incredibly popular and left their own marks on the industry. The anime helped popularize pretty boy action stuff and lead to stuff like Ronin Warriors and Gundam Wing. The manga influenced a generation of creators and shaped the shonen battle genre. Both the anime and the manga were popular enough to both have spin-offs and sequels to this very day. I think that the anime is the more enjoyable of the two, for what it's worth.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

What are some good Christmas animes?

Please don't recommend Gundam 0080.

Big O Episode 11

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Recommending Anime Thread Mark II - Seriously, Big O

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mikl posted:

Speaking of which, I've got this weird craving for a batshit-insane off-the-walls anime, one that makes you ponder the exact drug cocktail that the people were making the show were on (because there's no doubt they were high on something), but is still an enjoyable ride all the way through. Anyone have any shows like that to recommend?

The California Crisis OVA is good for this

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Guyver posted:

There was a ton of great stuff in the 80s. Aside from what Sakurazuka said there's Space Adventure Cobra, , They Were 11, Choujin Locke, the first Gundam movies, Arion, Ideon Be Invoked, Xabungle, Arcadia of My Youth, Hokuto no Ken, Macross, Dragon Ball, Bubblegum Crisis, Gall Force, Maison Ikkoku, Project A-Ko, Saint Seiya, Laputa, City Hunter, Devilman OVAs, MADOX-01, Robot Carnival, Riding Bean, Neo Tokyo and Gosenzosama Banbanzai. Probably a lot more I'm forgetting.

I'd add Megazone 23, Venus Wars, Fang of the Sun Dougram, Dagger of Kamui, Area 88, Golgo 13: The Professional, and your namesake, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver, to the list as well.

I also highly recommend Space Adventure Cobra, it's amazing.

e: While not 80s, you should also watch Rose of Versailles.

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 22, 2015

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Dreqqus posted:

I like the animes where the protagonists and antagonists yell and shoot powers at one another. I think I might have read/watched all the good ones though(DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, Hitman Reborn, Sevens Sins, the list goes on and on.) I'm looking for something new to fill that dumb yelling hole in my life, any suggestions?

Watch Saint Seiya if you haven't already.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mad Bull is the most realistic police anime there is, depicting everyday cop challenges like kungfu assassin gangs and cyborg mobsters.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

If you do watch Mad Bull 34, make sure to watch it dubbed so you can listen to British people doing their best New York accents, and also the awesome soundtrack.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Male Tears posted:

I like action-oriented sci-fi, fantasy, and thrillers. No cutesy stuff. Prefer a plot-long story than individually contained episodes. Don't care about subs versus dubs. Can anyone give some good recommendations?

Legend of the Galactic Heroes fits that pretty much perfectly

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

action-oriented

Confession time: I only watched the first season of LoGH and that's all I'm basing my rec on

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Finish it you loving piece of horse garbage

You're less than human until you've got the entirety of LOGH under your belt

I was actually going to watch it after I finished Chihayafuru, which I'm sure I'll start any day now.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Me and my buddies have a weekly anime night, and this year we decided to do theme months. Giant Robot January, Fantasy February, and now we've decided it's Magical Girl March. I know basically nothing about the genre, so what are some good magical girl movies/OVAs/episodic series?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions, the shows that are over 12-13 episodes long probably aren't going to happen since we only meet once a week and not long enough for 50 ep stuff. I'm guessing we'll watch various episodic stuff and old stuff, Pretear, and the Sailor Moon movies.

e: Which is the Sailor Moon movie with the woman who kidnaps masses of kids and puts them in freaky looking ships? I remember liking that one when I saw it on Toonami.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Most of us have already seen Madoka, I probably should have mentioned that. I might save Rebellion for the last week.

Nipponophile posted:

Nurse Witch Komugi-chan

Oh poo poo, one of my buddies has wanted us to watch this for awhile but I forgot what it was called.

I think for the first night I'm just going to show a fuckload of different series and then we'll talk about what we want to see more of.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I recommend The Little Prince and the Eight-Headed Dragon, it's a rad old anime about Susanoo searching for his dead mom and also killing dragons and generally wrecking poo poo.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Drifter posted:

I've watched the first three episodes of Black Lagoon and for some reason it really hasn't grabbed me in any way. The music is cool, I guess, but it's no Noir OST.

Is it worth giving it a few more episodes to get better or can I safely shelve it? It's just...its pace is so slow (although the scenery and world building is pretty nice) and the action doesn't seem interesting. I've seen Revy jump to a few boats and shoot people and stuff and it was more fan-fictiony cool than actual cool.

Give it a few more episodes, the next arc has the crew in a race against neo-nazis to pillage a sunken U-boat.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Princess Tutu and Nurse Angel Ririka were hits, so we'll probably keep watching those.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

littleorv posted:

Since Final Fantasy XV is basically an anime road trip it got me wondering if there were any good animes about road trips. Any suggestions?

Edit: other than Stardust Crusaders

I'm not sure if I'd call it "good", exactly, but California Crisis is the most roadtrip anime you'll ever see.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The Skull Man fits q
uite a few of those criteria I think

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

Are there any animes with an overt Captain Planet style eco message aside from Ghibli stuff?

The Brave Fighter of Legend Da-Garn gets really blatant about this in the later parts.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

He said full story :smithicide:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I kid, fourthing that.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Fang of the Sun Dougram is entirely about an uprising, albeit more akin to a 50s and 60s colonial uprising than a revolutionary one.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Hunter x Hunter (2011) is good, although it botches the adaptation of some of the early manga chapters. Hunter x Hunter (1999), despite doing a better job with early chapters and doing a great job with atmosphere, changes characterization in subtle but important ways, has some pointless filler, and doesn't include the Chimera Ants and Election arcs. You should probably just watch the 2011 version.

Edit: I guess I misunderstood your question. There is no English dub for the 2011 anime.

Pointless filler is understating it, the filler in the 1999 series was so bad that the second episode was filler.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

If you want something crazy as gently caress but are pressed for time I suggest The Flying Phantom Ship.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Rose of Versailles (I don't know how much of the manga is translated!)

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Make sure it is this version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwBXPsetOHM

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

That Works posted:

Angel Cop?

I haven't seen it yet so apologies if it's bad, but seems to fit your request.

Angel Cop is the anime where it turns out that the Jews were behind everything all along.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I bet Mad Bull 34 would be a blast with a bunch of drunken friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

^ BFT is on Youtube, isn't it?

Angel Cop would be a good one, make sure you watch it dubbed and then look up and watch the real ending after you finish it.

Really, any bad 80s OVA would do, a lot of them are dubbed, and available in decent quality on youtube. They're also all pretty short so you can have a lot of variety in one night.

• Locked thread