Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Raku posted:

Rose of Versailles, obviously!

This is the answer. It doesn't get much more revolution-y than the French Revolution, yo.

Also, Rose of Versailles is amazing as can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

Mushishi tends to be rather slow and calculated and has a very chill soundtrack.

Mushishi is chill as can be and I highly recommend it. It has such a very slow and very quiet pace, while at the same time using each little piece phenomenally well.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Chas McGill posted:

What's another good protagonist-solves-problems anime in the vein of Master Keaton, Mushishi, Mononoke, GTO, Bartender?

Well it's more a protagonist solving a single very large problem, but if you liked Master Keaton you could check out another Naoki Urusawa anime, Monster.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
This is the Recommendation thread, not the random questions thread. Make a thread if you want to talk about other things.

Come on folks. You know this.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
For fucks sake folks this is a Recommendation thread.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

ViggyNash posted:

After watching Serial Experiments Lain and Texnolyze, I'm wondering if there are any other animes as serious and mature and with the quality of writing and directing of these 2? I plan on checking ABe's other shows, but outside of those are there any other shows that meet that criteria?

Have you considered Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Word on the street is that it's pretty good!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

ViggyNash posted:

Thing is, I've been trying to write a story in my spare time because I have a couple of really cool idea for one that I can't get out of my head, so I've been watching different things for bits and pieces of inspiration and to learn a thing or two about what makes a story good. Watching one ridiculously long show wouldn't give me a lot of variety.

That's my reason, believe it or not. Its probably partially rationalization, but it is true that I am trying to write something.

Chances are LOGH will give you better inspiration than the rest of the poo poo you're watching because it's writing is so much better than pretty much all of them.

LOGH: it is that good

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

a kitten posted:

I'm kind of surprised that there aren't more manga or anime with that kind of setup. Or maybe I just don't know about them, other than Battle Royale it's not really a genre/storyline I particularly enjoy.

There are approximately 10,000 manga and anime that are inspired by it. Not even the first thing with that sort of premise.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

RabidWeasel posted:

I don't know how anyone can have a favourite SAC character

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aI9QfPnj5I&hd=1

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

ViggyNash posted:

Are there any good detective mystery type shows? I've had a bit of an itch for it since watching Hyouka which did the detective mystery thing amazingly. I tried GoSick but I couldn't deal with it firstly because of the tsundere detective and secondly because Bones doesn't seem to understand what pacing is.

Monster is pretty much flawlessly, there's also the episodic Master Keaton. Death Note if you want to view it from the other side of things.

There's not an awful lot of straight detective mysteries that aren't more supernatural fantasy things or skew wildly into other genres ultimately to the detriment of the mystery elements. There's a lot of good manga though, mostly by Naoki Urasawa.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
For those looking for something to watch, we're going to be starting a simulwatch of the Vision of Escaflowne next Monday.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Geek U.S.A. posted:

So last month in my quest to find another Japanese X-Men show like Darker than Black I ended up watching some of A Certain Scientific Railgun, and it was one of the worst things I've watched in years. Disgusting show with silly writing. Are there any other good shows inspired by the X-Men or is it pretty much just DtB and its OVA?

You definitely want to watch Tiger & Bunny. It's basically what the X-Men would be IRL: commercialized as gently caress.

Kayten posted:

Hey, guys, so I finally saw Redline and it blew my loving mind. Can anyone recommend something that looks as good, and is pretty actiony? Plot is a non-issue. I saw Madoka already, as well as Fate/Zero already.

Redline is pretty high tier when it comes to animation quality, but other shows with very high animation quality includes Cowboy Bebop (obvious but, well, you never know), Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Also Dead Leaves is definitely something worth checking out.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 26, 2013

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The next ADTRW Simulwatchathon starts tomorrow!

There's still time to download the first two episodes and join us.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Mechazawa's english VA makes better motorcycle noises, QED

(cromartie is so good, the dub is so good)

Norio. Wakamoto.

Cromartie is good both subbed and dubbed. Watch it one way. Then watch it the other.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Yo: the next ADTRW Simulwatchathon is up. We're watching two very atypical TV shows that are very critically acclaimed: Tatami Galaxy and Serial Experiments Lain. You should join us! It'll be fun.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Chas McGill posted:

Yessss. I won't be able to simulwatch due to the time difference, but those are fantastic choices.

Just keep in mind you don't need to watch at the same time to still participate and enjoy the simulwatches; live commentary is a minor facet. It is more about discussing the individual episodes after they "air".

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Reminder for those of you looking for stuff to watch in the next few weeks that we're going to be starting the next ADTRW Simulwatchathon this Monday!

We're going to be watching Tatami Galaxy, an anime about a college student reliving his very bizarre college life and attempting to 'correct' it, and Serial Experiments Lain, an anime about an apathetic girl finding herself unraveling as she explores the internet for information about a mysterious message from beyond the grave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyYCYd2wHY4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9CXmEUwvgM

Tatami Galaxy in particular has some of the beeest writing (probably since it's an adaption of a novel)

Zorak fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 2, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Lallander posted:

I am on a swashbuckling kick lately and have exhausted my supply of western movies and TV shows. Robin Hood, The Three Musketeers, The Man in the Iron Mask, The Court Jester, The Princess Bride. I've watched everything even remotely like that that I can track down. Is there anything comparable in anime? Interesting sword fighting, bravado, adventure on the high seas?

While it has no high seas, The Rose of Versailles is about the leader of the French Royal Guard protecting the French royal family from plots / sword fighting folks in a lead up to the French Revolution. Also: she's a lady and owns.

If you're willing to venture into reading a huuuge manga, One Piece while very silly in setting is extreeeemely good. It's the best selling manga of all time for a reason.

Most other piracy / swashbuckling stuff in anime is mostly about space piracy.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Each new volume is the best selling book of all time in Japan.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

ninety posted:

Suddenly I'm in the mood for this, what are some good examples? I haven't watched a lot of anime, no suggestion is too obvious.

Captain Harlock, Bodacious Space Pirates, Space Adventure Cobra

Cowboy Bebop features some as well.

ninety posted:

Anime tends to go all-out for the music used in its OPs and EDs, but what are some shows with excellent overall soundtracks? I'm especially interested in shows that have music that really compliments or matches the animation instead of just kinda being overlaid onto it, but good music is good music.

Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Escaflowne, Turn A Gundam, everything else Yoko Kanno,

Zorak fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 9, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Hey everyone!

We're currently undergoing a real push towards updating the ADTRWiki to fill in any missed anime or manga people may enjoy, and in general fill it up more.

Please consider adding series to the wiki, as well as adding your opinions to existing series! This really helps improve it as a resource, and makes recommending interesting shows all the easier. I feel it's already a pretty solid resource, but the more knowledge and things we have on there, the better it can be.

If you're looking for a good way to help, you can help add your personal opinions to the various series listed on our "New to Anime?" page and Top 10 anime by year pages, help on our stubs, help capture some of the series & opinions shared in the top 10 voting for this year, as well as just generally add new series, opinions, and cross-series suggestions in the You May Also Like... sections.

We also currently have a thread specifically for updating the ADTRWiki FAQ, as well as discussing changes to our New? listing and other details. Consider giving it a read and sharing your thoughts on how to improve our wiki!

:thumbsup:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Brainamp posted:

Only ever saw clips like a half-naked man fondling himself while riding on a car, so I assumed it was poo poo.

The car is a metaphor. The man is a metaphor. The cargasms are a metaphor. The lack of shirts isn't a metaphor, that's just what happens when you hear the sound that roars through the end of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

Do they wear pants in Diebuster?

They wear even less pants in Diebuster

e: except for the fact that most of the mecha appear to be wearing pants

• Locked thread