Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Same, it figures that someone with her abilities would be able to read teenagers better than they can read themselves.

She hasn't outwardly admitted her feelings yet, but she's definitely catching on. There was that cute scene a ways back where they were talking and she was like, 'Well, why don't WE just go out? HA HA JUST KIDDING OBVIOUSLY.' -nervous sweating-

EDIT: I didn't even notice 31 was out on the scans, gosh that was adorable.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Fabricated posted:

Last few jump starts were duds overall. Spring weapon no.1 somehow survives.

The English Jump crew have been pretty pro at picking up the right ones in retrospect. Samon-Kun went on for a decent while and Spring Weapon is still kicking, and not getting Kimetsu no Yaiba was definitely a mistake, but other than those three I think the rest of the non-selected Jump Starts have been canceled before too long. I remember being disappointed that Marie and Poro were left behind in favor of Robot Laserbeam since I liked both more (although Doctor Stone and We Never Learn were still tops among the six, U19 doesn't even place) but I guess they made the right calls in the end.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Rangpur posted:

What's stopping them from just adding KnY at some undetermined point in the future? I was under the impression Viz was basically an extension of Shokugan-Shueisha at this point.

Nothing's stopping them! So much nothing that they actually added/will add it to the free section of the website/app already/soon. (It's all blocked here in Japan so I can't actually check.) It would be nice to have it in the proper magazine too, especially since they started things like Toriko, Nisekoi, and MHA in the middle rather than from the start but since it's in the free section I don't know if it will. Astra also runs in the free section rather than the magazine, which is quite confusing since it started there and would have been a great addition to the weekly magazine.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

If someone else didn't post the gut punch, I was going to. God that was too funny.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I think it may be necessary due to Golf as a sport. There's only so many ways to show dudes swinging golf clubs, so you either skip the training and get to the high stakes world of the pros and leave those three years open for flash backs to show how the characters got as good as they are, which also allows for the possibility of that promised showdown in a reasonable time, or show the three years of training and risk losing your audience as kids realize watching a guy get better at golf isn't as cool as watching a guy get better at other sports since they have direct confrontation and more physicality/movement. I like the manga, but the training would get really old IMO.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

She is absolutely the hero of the manga.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mikl posted:

Where're you reading this? The official Viz translation? Scans seem to have stalled, which is quite a bummer since I'm not in the US and therefore can't read the official version :(

I haven't been able to access Jump for the past few months either since the phone I was able to use to sneak into the US Jump app died on me. I miss Seraph and Jump Starts, but regular We Never Learn is the deepest wound.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Oh my god that newest (posted) chapter of We Never Learn was so good. The more she works to support the other two the more I root for Furuhashi. They're all really cute though, so it's hard to support one too much over the other, which is a weird change from most harem/rom-com manga where there's one or two obvious mains and the rest are likable enough but just pad out the story.

Also leave it to this series to make an 'accidental text to the wrong person' not only have a positive outcome, but a loving hilarious one.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Read the manga, she plainly stated at the end of the last chapter that she doesn't like anyone and just wants to be really, really close friends with Rizu. I see no reason to doubt her words.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mraagvpeine posted:

Then why was she asking about which hairstyle Ogata would like?

Have you never crowdsourced information on what hairstyle your super close friends would like best on you? Maybe you need to step up your friendship game.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I totally forgot about Rizu's sleeping habits. Cute chapter, I like that she was so scared she texted everyone she knew.

I really have fallen for this series, they're running a promo in Japan right now where you get a bookmark of one girl packaged with Volume 3 and I almost bought three copies to get them all.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Irritated Goat posted:

Furuhashi's faces or Rizu being ultra cute are making it real hard to choose my favorite :derp:

Ironically, the more Furuhashi works hard to support her buds the more I root for her. It doesn't hurt that the page with her in the ponytail at the end of the texting chapter was weapons-grade adorable.

Though honestly, my favorite tends to be whoever (of the main three) the chapter I'm reading is about, they're just so good.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Same. I admit I haven't read many harem manga but I have enjoyed every chapter of We Never Learn so I want to believe it can keep it up.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

khy posted:

We Never Learn pulled me in with the hopes it'd be about idiots trying to teach other idiots how not to be idiots and then it turned into a harem and now I can't get out.

It's still that in a way, except Rizu and Uruka aren't teaching anyone. Fumino is trying to teach them not to be love-idiots, while ignoring that she herself is a love-idiot.

Speaking of We Never Learn, I picked up one of the volumes in Japan that came with the bookmarks (Team Furuhashi) and it has "We Never Learn" printed in English on it. Take that, scanlators!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Tarezax posted:

http://bato.to/reader#052452d61a6c350a

Furuhashi fans rejoice, she has officially joined the Yuiga Bowl

Fu-Ru-Ha-Shi! Fu-Ru-Ha-Shi! All A Board, the Furuhashi Train.

Sorry, that was mean. She's still best girl though, and queen of the Three Panel Sequence.

That said, re: the chapter- Aren't these kids in Tokyo? Maybe they're just outside the city, but dang how long was that festival going on for there to be no buses or trains running shorlty after the end.

Also man, there have been at least four chapters centered/dealing with cell phones in this manga and even my podunk town five hours north of Tokyo has hella taxis available at night, there is no way this situation should have happened. Also also, how can Yuiga be poor AF and also have Ryokan money?

Complaints aside, adorable chapter, Yuiga is a Good Boy.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Tarezax posted:

Yuiga is poor as gently caress and doesn't have a smartphone since he hosed up his mom's phone that one time, and Furuhashi might not have brought hers, unless there's space in that yukata for one? As for ryokan money, Furuhashi is apparently loaded, and as the "big sister" she'd be paying I think

He broke it at the end of that one chapter, but he either got one of his own or continues to borrow his mom's new one cause there was the chapter he was texting Furuhashi for help with Uruka and the one where Rizu texted him for help with her scary movie regrets. The latter lends itself to the theory that he has his own now since it'd be weird for him to be doing all this texting of girls on his mom's phone- Although her reaction to Uruka last chapter implies that she'd actually be all for it haha. As for Furuhashi, yukata are casual so they have space in the sleeves to carry things, but honestly all of this can be handwaved away by saying that some schools/parents are strict about cell phones so they just didn't have them that day. It's silly, but the comedy and cuteness is worth it.

As for the ryokan, Furuhashi is definitely loaded but Yuiga only decided to leave after they revealed they only had one room left, which means we can assume up until that point that he was willing to pay for a solo room if they had two. He doesn't seem the type to ask for help with money. Although this one too I can deal with this Furuhashi is the one who pointed out the hotel so she may have offered to pay for both of them.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Dexo posted:

Hmm maybe we should make a we never learn thread.

I'm infinitely too lazy to do it, but I do think it's good enough to deserve one and it could benefit from the exposure.

Speaking of WNL, I picked up the volumes today and there's really cute little sketches of stuff that happened just after each chapter added in. Most are just cute little moments, but this one was both funny and a little interesting.

Though they share science-related and writing-related classes, the initial three are in different homerooms. Of note is Furuhashi on the side, noticing that she's in 3-A and Rizu's in 3-F. Her thoughts are, "There's no connection... right?"

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

That was really cute. Sports manga are so pure.

It's a shame they didn't scan the full WNL/Yuuna crossover poster. It's pure cheesecake, but it has some cute little character moments like Fumino studying in the bath and Ogata writing sciencey stuff on a window.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mraagvpeine posted:

Super Eyepatch Wolf recently made a video about Shonen Jump 30 years ago that was insightful. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to track down the series Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin.

I have never seen or read Gin, but I know the best fun fact about it and that is that the sequel series starring his son is called Ginga Legend WEED.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Unlike some other tropey romcoms (Nisekoi) the main character is likeable and a good dude and all of the girls are extremely good so I will accept all of the prolonging nonsense the author wants to throw in there as long as it continues being this cute and entertaining.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

every harem thing would be vastly improved if it stopped being a harem thing tbh

You're absolutely right. It is time for the WNL author to get serious, cancel WNL as it is now, and start it anew as five separate concurrent series'.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Was flipping through the newest Jump just now and found Shudan, which had a cute first three chapters. I was thinking to myself that it's a shame the English Jump never picked it up because I liked the style, then I realized it was the final chapter lol. However (I didn't actually read it) it appeared to end with the main boy playing soccer and the main girl (who was better than him) watching from the stands so that's kind of annoying so maybe it deserved to end. Who knows.

Golem Hearts is sitting at the back at the magazine, which was a little worrisome til I flipped further and found, buried past some more ads and at the true end of the magazine, Full Drive. Neither seems long for this world.

Cross X Account is still going though, wouldn't mind looking into that one and reading it if it's beeing scanned anywhere. I liked the Jump Start and it doesn't seem quite as "on the way out" as the others.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

It wasn't spontaneous, she reached out to him on Not-Twitter and they started chatting and playing online games together for a while. Still not, say, realistic, but at least she's not pining for him due to Mean Tweets. At least that's what I remember from the first three chapters. She's one of those Perfect Idol IRL - Otaku behind the scenes types so she envies his ability to be honest without realizing that he does the split-life thing too, I think. They meet once IRL at a handshaking event in chapter 3, but he doesn't know that she's the online friend.

Why the childhood friend likes his RL spineless nobody self, I don't remember. I think he saves her from some creepy poo poo in chapter 1?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

That's so sad, both for the author and the manga. I really enjoyed it, although the plot was moving incredibly slow I absolutely loved the fighting system and the strategies used.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

He really seems like a genuinely good guy.

Also I adore his art. I'm still firmly team Furuhashi, but damned if this last chapter didn't try its best to unseat her with how stupidly cute Rizu was drawn.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I gotta check it out, I love abrupt shonen manga endings. Did it just end or did it do a time jump?

My favorite is probably Takamagahara or whatever it was, where the guy who could turn animals into guns was shown in the future and he had a whole page of him and his arsenal of animal guns. It was incredible.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yinlock posted:

oh man how did i forget about my fav. sports manga thing

by the laws of sports manga

1) all bystanders must be inexplicably excited about high school sports, to the point of
2) giving good players idiotic nicknames

"they call him the God Hand, he has never needed a sweeper in his entire illustrious 3 month career"

Don't forget to choose the main character's flavor- Insanely single-minded or completely loving ignorant.

"Kaaru-san, the way you swept the floor just now was unreal!"

"Isn't this... normal?"

"No way! Your technique, it was just like the way they brush in that sport!"

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Fabricated posted:

Cross Account, Full Drive, and Golem Hearts ended of course.

Saiki just ended (it's going to kind of a spinoff in a different mag), Spring Weapon No.1 is now ending (its survival was baffling).

So far the only two new series we got are Bozebeats and Act-Age. I think we got some new series starting this week or the next? Or are they just one-shots?

I'm surprised Cross Account lasted as long as it did, honestly. Though I'm bitterly glad it's ending cause I kinda wanted to read it but didn't want to put the effort into finding raws/scans.

Spring Weapon ending is a shame though, I don't know how good it was in the end but I really liked the first 3 chapters and was happy every time I picked up a new Jump issue and saw that it was still keeping on.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mikl posted:

I love this manga so much :allears:

Sure, the story isn't much, but the characters are great and their interactions are fantastic.

Same here! I adore it and look forward to it every week as much as any of the more story-heavy series'. The characters are so dang cute and it's so genuinely funny and charming.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mulderman posted:

I think this is the second jump start the mangaka from Noah's Notes did. Wasn't the first one about Shogi or something?

This seems much more interesting, though I wonder how people will react to a main character who's main gimmick seems to be pulling a gun on people.

Yep, he's the mangaka of Mononofu which I believe got canned pretty quick, if not quite Red Sprite/Love Rush quick.

I'm definitely feeling Noah's Notes, that bit where he breaks down her life plan via her mother's experiences was neat and a much more interesting way to get the character to start thinking about history than just shouting at her about how great history is. The twist at the end definitely would have gotten me even if that bit hadn't though.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

New We Never Learn! (That's the official name on the merch, god drat it Jaminisbox stop using 'We Can't Study.')

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/we-can-t-study/en/0/55/

Fantastic chapter, so many cute faces. Say it.

Also, in case anyone finds the featured game to be a bit far-fetched, I can confirm it's a real thing! My old third year students were playing it at lunch shortly before they graduated, although they played to laughter rather than blushing. I lost too, so I feel you Nariyuki.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yeah I'd definitely like to read more Jujutsu, it was a neat Jump Start and I like the MC. To be fair tho I also want to read more Ziga and Noah's Notes cause I'm easy to please with shonen manga.

In other news, the newest chapter of We Never Learn is all about Uruka and Nariyuki using English- like written in English- and it was hilarious in the original Japanese and I am so drat curious to find out how it is translated, both by scans and by the official release. Also as an English teacher in Japan, it was painfully relatable.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Darth TNT posted:

Jamini already has translated it two days ago.
translated chapter

It was kinda funny at the start, but it's not the best. Still cute though.

Oh dang, I guess I shoulda checked there first haha. I think the comedy was amplified several times for me since the kind of poo poo Takemoto says when Nariyuki asks her to introduce herself is exactly the kind of stuff my students would say. Plus the full page of her stretching and stuff before taking off was just perfect.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Furuhashi is best girl, but Takemoto is Very Good.

And it was! Viz's also managed to convey when they were speaking Japanese vs English without doing the double-textbox thing which is pretty neat. Minus the part where she starts saying "very very -japanese word-" which is tough to do in one language.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

A thought: Go-Toubun no Hanayome is the exact same thing as We Can't Study, but with better art/humor/characters and only somewhat mediocre overall instead of outright bad.

I like We Never Learn quite a lot, after reading the first three chapters of this, I couldn't call them the exact same. The 'poor boy helps multiple girls study' angle is surprisingly close, but that's as far as it goes. That said it is funny and the art is really pretty so thanks for mentioning it here!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The spread of nakama beyond One Piece is so perplexing.

I understand it to an extent in One Piece because Kaizoku-Fansubs poisoned the well way back when many of us were very impressionable weebs, but other fandoms/fanlations's insistence on using it in stuff like Fairy Tail or random other manga is just wild.

Friends, comrades, teammates, allies, whatever fits best in the context, translate the dang word.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Wait, did Robot X Laserbeam really end out of nowhere, or was it just announced to be ending? Considering where it ended last chapter I guess I could see how they could end it in the next chapter but drat, that's harsh.

I enjoyed reading it well enough but I definitely don't see how he intended to keep it going nearly as long as other sports manga. Without going completely over the top with it, as in like full on super powers not just super concentration or hitting styles, 18 holes of 1 v 1 hitting balls at holes can only be so dynamic in print media. I will always remember the DON TRAPS though.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Plutonis posted:

Fairy Tail was 80% generic, 10% good and 10% bad

80% tits, 10% fights, 10% friendship.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Elcy Crimson is hilariously on the nose, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes full on AU (Edolas style) at some point in this and drags in (more like dragons in lol) the original cast for an arc or two.

I am down with Cat Guns, that flashback got dark for a bit there. And gravity control is neat. And gently caress it, I read Fairy Tail at its worst so I can deal with anything Eden Zero can throw at me, it's mindless fun and that's not so bad. I don't read Mashima for plot, I read it for punch time explosions and boobs and Eden Zero delivers.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Silver2195 posted:

Just read it, and wow, Tokioka is annoying (though in a very different way from Reborn's Tsuna).

On the plus side, if Tokioka improves at all, even the slightest bit, between now and the series cancellation, he will have have surpassed Tsuna as an MC. You wanna talk about shonen manga with dogshit endings, gently caress.

"You're still a pathetic sack of poo poo Tsuna, but at least you have some friends to support you and keep you from completely loving imploding due to your terribleness. My job as your teacher is done."

god drat it still makes me mad years later and that series spent 3/4 of its run as "not good" so it really shouldn't

The most abrupt ending I've seen in shonen is probably... Love Rush or Red Sprite? Those both ended in like 10-12 chapters though so I don't know if it's fair to compare them to abrupt endings for series' that lasted around a year.