Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

DrSunshine posted:

Seven Deadly Sins

It's a pretty enjoyable chapter. Not so heavy on the fanservice, and Diane gets to do some nice fights. It's a good thing that she got shrunk down, since there's few opportunities for a giant to fight a normal opponent.

It also has the best line from the pig "I'm nude and I have a heart of diamond"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
Shonen Jump unveiled their international manga competition finalists. 6 of them selected out of manga from the entire world. The best of the best.

I entered as well, but my chances were pretty slim since mine was barely shonen or manga (and can be read here).

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

DrSunshine posted:

I read your entry and it was really good (though definitely had 0% chance of winning the contest!), you should link it to folks in the Making Comics thread. +1 reader from me!

Thank you very much. I'm actually halfway through a different comic called Penultimate Quest right now. So I should probably get that up there. New Hobart's kind of a maybe story that I'll pitch around, but it's good to hear a positive reception for it.

I ended up voting for the WW2 Vampire comic as well, although small surprise that he (spoiler) lets the dude soldier die and the chick with the tits live forever as a vampire. In fact what was that story even about? Really good comicing though, the spread of him coming out of the coffin is real good.

Oh, I'm going to link Fat Naruto again while I'm here.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

RatHat posted:

World Trigger is so good. It's hard sometimes keeping track of all the characters though. Also the author's poor health is a bummer.

I'd been reading the recent chapters without context and wasn't really into it (that disinterested puckered lip face that everyone makes!) but I picked up the first couple volumes and started to enjoy it. It's nice that the main character is a useless milktoast and is overshadowed by alien Naruto and childhood friend sniper girl.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
Magi should be remembered as better than a lot of its contemporary Shounen manga. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Magi/Night-349?id=367470

This is a good conclusion to the fights. Much better than a harder punch.

Now there's probably only a few chapters left?

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
They also talk about G bra sizes which is... less of a thing in America I believe? So the joke is kind of strained for grades and bras. Maybe if they changed that and also gave the characters English names. Ah, so much simpler.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
Jujutsu has a fairly good premise but boring execution. It felt like less interesting and less cool early Bleach.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Bad Seafood posted:

I am happy to report Chainsaw Man is actually about a man wielding a chainsaw, as advertised. Who then becomes the chainsaw.

Title on point.

It was great! Something relateable (debt) something weird and full circle for the character. Im very interested where this goes.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Allarion posted:

There's still the issue of community scans releasing chapters a week early which they can't really work around but that's really only an issue with the bigger more popular series

Two big problems left to solve
1) theres a high profit still in pirating manga
2) theres still a need for those who cant access the SJ app or site

Being in the US this is a good time for me to stop reading scans and then rereading on the app, but I cant hold it against others that this doesnt benefit.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
I just use the app and I am dying for a search and subscribe features.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
Seven Deadly Sins got a bit worn out for a bit but this end portion is knocking it out of the park... Well as long as it doesn't go too much longer imo.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

dogsicle posted:

the art has a sort of retro vibe esp. in the main character design, and it's rough in ways that make me think of gyagu manga biyori, which is a good association.

yozakura is way more in line with typical sj stuff so i think it'll be fine, unless people just don't take to it's sort of romcom assclass thing

Yozakura's notion on how genetics worked turned me right off. The girl is totally normal and passes on the special genes because she's normal so everyone wants to kill her. Weird.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Mraagvpeine posted:

Someone shared this with me and I don't know how accurate it is.

Sorry but what do the numbers represent? What am I supposed to draw from this?

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I started reading Bleach recently after knowing only that it falls apart towards the end. About where should I stop reading?

When you get tired of swords.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Dexo posted:

WNL: Ogata alternative Route

Oh my God, is the author going to lean into genres for all of these alternate takes? I'm in.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Good, about exactly what you'd want out of a one shot but like...

Did the photographer look way too much like Inspector Gadget?

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Dawgstar posted:

What got my atention on Fairy Tail in the first place was reading an interview with Mashima in that anime/manga magazine Wizard used to put out and he said his favorite character was Erza which felt pretty rare for a shonen battle guy to say his favorite character was a woman.

And she is pretty rad, so it worked out.

I got into Fairy Tail when Jason Thompson asked me if I had read it. Later I found out that Mashima had written Jason into the series as the journalist that pops up a few times.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

muscles like this! posted:

Warning, you will cry by the end.

My wife walked into my office and I was wiping tears from my eyes "okay so I just read this manga Im going to tell you the whole plot"

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Dexo posted:

just looked at the raw, and lmao yeah, aint no loving way they publishing that lol

Lolicon poo poo

Apparently Apple was a big reason, although I haven't checked recently is Manga Plus actually on the Apple or Google stores?

Looking around the internet and I see people saying that Viz should surrender the license if they can't handle the heat but lol Viz is owned by Shuiesha my dudes.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

I Love Annie May posted:

Surprising how Viz still keeps the rights of a series they have no intention of releasing to the public. Really makes you wonder a lot.

Shueisha owns Viz, so any editorial decision is reflective of the entire chain. I've seen elsewhere the guess is that Apple is the lynchpin, as in they won't allow Shueisha to have their apps on the Apple store with that type of material. Maybe they hoped the author would abstain, or maybe they'll sell those chapters in print with a plastic wrapper (isn't that what they basically do for their own material in Japan?).

All in all if you think about it it isn't that surprising.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

chiasaur11 posted:

That's not the weird thing. The weird thing is that Ayashimon's sales were much, much better than projected, and they didn't even give it a second volume to see if that was a fluke before bringing down the axe.

loving sucks, but also I could honestly imagine this artist being hampered by being in Jump when Jump+ probably suits them better. On top of that I think a lot was made out of the elements that were present so far, but on the other hand I don't think Ayashimon had that much room to grow and develop. It is possible to get a good amount into making a story and realize there's just not many places for it to go after all.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Aliens Area: Whacky teammates and compulsory newbie hazing, standard shounen fare. Also if they wanted to recruit the kid why didn't they lead with "Join us and we'll make sure you can provide for your siblings."

The stench of death is already heavy on this one. So the secret base is 13 floors underground behinf TWO locked doors? Come the gently caress on. That is just so so boring. Do anything more than that. ANYTHING.

I liked the guy in the aquarium thing. More of that of GTFO.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Indiana_Krom posted:

I often call One Piece "The Textbook Shounen", it is really good but also never anything other than a Shounen Manga.

This one scene where Luffy puts his hat on Katakuri's mouth is so excellent. It is a quiet acknowledgement, not flashy and a simple continuation of his character that he will cover up what his enemies wish covered for literally no reason then it falls outside of what they are fighting about.

Naruto's friendship no jutsu comes close but it was all very loud and very much the point of a fight or conflict. But did Goku do anything like this?

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Last Celebration posted:

The SJ app is probably my biggest value subscription for media period, it’s honestly almost too good of a price for what it offers. I wish the app let you read M rated stuff like Fire Punch and Dandadan since the mobile Viz website kinda sucks but it’s still like $2!

I read their M stuff on the Manga Plus app. Its mildly grating to use two apps bit the option is there. I think it is limited to one read per chapter since it is free.

Besides Dandadan theres some good newer stuff like Skeleton Double and Ghostbuster Osamu.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Alacron posted:

Man, everything about Imagawa is loving wild.

I love that as wild as this poo poo gets there is a lot of real world elements grounding it (and horse meat is loving delicious, had horse sashimi once, amazing).

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Shinji2015 posted:

My only critique of Skeleton Double so far is that the invisibility gimmick seems pretty pointless atm. It feels like maybe it'd have been better suited to being the MC's or Yamamoto's Unique Blood ability

It hasnt been utilized much but when MC runs out of juice and his opponent turns invisible was pretty cool.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Balache404 posted:

Only partially. 25/33 volumes were officially released in English between '05-'09.

That sucks so bad.

I remember Jason Thompson telling me in 2008 that because Shueisha owned a large portion of Viz that they would print the whole series. I remember he had copies of it in Japanese at his apartment (his House of 1000 Manga).

Sorry buddy : <

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

ConanThe3rd posted:

What happened to Gash's author and how that ruined the US run for Viz is one of the blacker marks on Shogakukan's record

I'm reading that he sued them for lost art and won? So like petty bitches stopped the translation AND anime? Jesus.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

muscles like this! posted:

The other series is pretty good. It is about a bunch of condemned criminals along with their executioners being sent to explore a mysterious island to look for an elixir of immortality. Whoever gets it first receives a pardon. Except the island is full of monsters.

Also has an anime dropping soon.

Can confirm that first episode is great. Quickly establishes main character as history's strongest wife guy.

Comic is well worth it, the art is spectacular.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

OnimaruXLR posted:

Regarding this week's Sakamoto, I got personal enjoyment of how when Sakamoto is thinking all the people near and dear to him Nagumo isn't included

I was so loving happy that one of the ones included was sniper dude with the pet bird like yeah man that's a solid pick.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Elite posted:

Unjustice was trying hard on the 99th cycle saying that she had finally assembled a good team and they had a chance. Except the Union didn’t really feel that strong, it felt like Uncover was actually stronger if you discount undead + unluck (and it also felt like Uncover was largely thrown together outside of the core ~3). And Unjustice’s rules meant that Unavoid and Unchange died kind of pointlessly in order to give their seats to Undead+Unluck when Unchange and Unavoid were some of the Union’s strongest members. Even when they’re limited to 12 seats for missions they could’ve still had some sideliners around (which is what Fuuko does and seems to work much better).

And Fuuko has been averting everyone’s tragedies first try, where Unjustice doesn’t seem to have even tried. Some of them sure Unjustice didn’t have enough information to do much, but for say Unsleep / Unforgettable not being able to help them seems kind of dumb when they’re central members of her organisation and presumably have been across multiple cycles. And Unforgettable is one of the major reasons why cycle 99 suddenly went to poo poo.

Fuuko does benefit from experience whereas after a certain amount of time I could imagine Unjustice just kind of becoming resigned to fate.

Fuuko is literally going balls to the wall speed run all glitch 100% completion. Godspeed her.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Alacron posted:

So anyone check out the new daddy manga on mangaplus?

Seems neat.

Daddy and Buddy. Just read it, love it. Great heart, good clean set up. Grumble bugs feel a little underwhelming but it's also a great ghost punch set up at the same time. Art is tight, styles open enough that people look fairly unique. I'm ready to see where it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Absum posted:

Being available outside the US and Canada.

MP has any of the other more violent stuff, but it also has nearly (NEARLY) everything that SJ has for regular updates.

SJ has One Punch Man which aaa is the only reason I still have it. Why is it not on MP???

Alacron posted:

I had a thought, MP and SJ are both owned by Shueisha. So it seems weird that that they would offer two different subscription services that offer the same books.

What if this $2 subscription is exclusively for MP originals, and the $5 subscription is an MP+SJ bundle?

This sounds quite reasonable to me depending on how they differentiate the two.