Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Lt. Lizard posted:

This chapter proves that having a girlfriend is very powerful.

This is also the plot of Ottoman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Also "just fine and cute" is a step above a lot of the other stuff that's come and gone since.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Elite posted:

Waiting for a music manga where a schoolboy is possessed by an ancient Piano Pharaoh and uses Shadow Recitals to crush people’s souls, in a bizarre world where all disputes are settled via piano contests. Culminating in Piano Recitals On Motorcycles.

Just read Shiori Experience.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Jose posted:

honestly don't know why you'd bother with a new series until like 30 chapters in

I dunno, I enjoyed reading the 25 chapters we got of Ayashimon. Sometimes it's nice to read a thing even if it doesn't stick around. I like G&G for what it is, but also won't be surprised or upset if it goes soon.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Lt. Lizard posted:

MarriageToxin: Huh, I did not expect that the Beast User will be THAT powerful. Guess Gero will need a girlfriend-powered boost as well. The question is, who will trigger it? Hamster Girl? Kinosaki? Someone else entirely?

Hamster Girl is going to save the day singlehandedly.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Marriagetoxin #42
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1015884

Is this ending? This feels a lot like a near-final chapter to me. I hope not, because I'm still digging everything except this particular big bad.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I think that might be it. The last couple chapters just haven't been funny, or romantic.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Haven't read the other one, but I liked Ayashimon, so I'm glad they're getting stuff published still.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
New Yuji Kaku one-shot is up.
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/hells-paradise-jigokuraku-side-story-forest-of-misfortune-chapter-1/chapter/37689

Just realized Jigokuraku is on Jump, just not in the app. So I'm gonna read that next, because I really enjoyed this.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
At this point I wouldn't even be surprised if we didn't get an issue at all next week!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah from rankings it did not do well, so I am not hopeful. Man I feel I always make bad gambles on Jump series to get invested in.

There's been almost nothing that's been safe to bet on anyway. Akane Banashi is the only thing with more than 25 chapters and fewer than 100. Seems like everything else has just been a revolving door.

e: okay so Blue Box is at 99 but you get what I mean.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 8, 2023

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

That said, if Polar Opposites gets the axe, I might just lose it.

Hey, just wanted to thank you for posting so extremely about this, because I hadn't heard of it and it's pretty completely my poo poo.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Brought To You By posted:

Still putting all my stock in Hamster.

Yeah Kinosaki seems obvious, especially on account of the First Girl rule, but I'm also allowing myself to let my heart be broken by supporting Hamster Girl.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Dexo posted:

Yeah I figured Kill Blue wasn't going to go down that path.

Yeah this was basically guaranteed to be the thing to happen.

Separate to that, rip to the person who hoped Do Retry would deal at all with the sport aspects of boxing.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Sindai posted:

Man I really thought she was going to join the school. :smith:

I think it would be a pretty good gag if she still did somehow.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I'm one of the dipshits that actually kinda liked Neru, so I'm also hoping that Asumi gets a decent shake.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I didn't hate it, and I guess the premise could get good if the figure out what they want the tone to be. It doesn't feel like a stayer regardless, though. I feel the same about Nue's Exorcist. Just kinda boring but not offensively bad.

I am enjoying the MMA one, though.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I do like MMA's angle of having him suck at every other part of fighting but grappling, but still sticking with mixed martial arts as a discipline. There's nothing I dislike so far.

Do Retry definitely isn't going to be about boxing form or learning how to actually fight. I can't tell if I like it or not.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I feel like I'd probably also unhealthily latch onto the only other kid in my neighborhood after everyone else was wiped out by monsters.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 7, 2023

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
lol at the new Spider-Man: Octopus Girl.

An antagonist revealed to be a kid in a Spider-Man hoodie. Draw what you know, I guess.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

You stop looking at her like that! Don't find her charming!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

KidDynamite posted:

Akane-Banashi: there's no way Akane loses right? I don't see where losing at this point puts her narratively. i'm also ridiculously antsy waiting for the results.

I'm guessing a draw between her and Hikaru, where she scores better with the judges, but slightly worse with the audience and stream. It might be hacky, I guess, but the story keeps going on about how rakugo isn't one thing, so I can see them both winning.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Nebrilos posted:

I read the first few chapters of Marriagetoxin and I couldn't help but wonder why, if the Grandma is so obsessed with getting an heir, why doesn't she just have one of the women in the clan act as a surrogate and get a sperm donation from the main character? I'm assuming that if everyone in the poison clan is as crazy as the Grandma, that someone would be willing to volunteer as a surrogate.

That wouldn't make for a very fun manga.

panko posted:

also caution tape sarashi is an extremely powerful look

:hai:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Jerkface posted:

Perfect outcome in Akanebanashi, someone in here kinda called it too right?

Such a nice lil arc we just had.

I thought it'd be a tie, but I was right about the in-house vs stream rankings. Very satisfied with the outcome, genuinely my favorite thing in Jump right now.

muscles like this! posted:

I have to wonder if this is just another story wrinkle or is the next chapter the end of Kill Blue?

I like Kill Blue a lot, but it would also be very funny for this to be how it ended. Just "Oh, you got better on your own, we were wrong" would be an incredible way to wrap up something cancelled early.

I'm also really digging MMA so far, hope this sticks around for a while.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Marriagetoxin is incredibly good, and I'm forever grateful to the person who posted the shark dance panel in the Manga Panels You Like thread for introducing it to me.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I'm glad Kill Blue and MMA seem to be doing well, but lol that Nue is next after them as far as new stuff is concerned. Rip Fabricant, I guess, being behind Gill.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
It's interesting to me that it's the first time he hasn't been in danger or, like, doing work, and that's when he transformed back. Maybe that'll be the whole thing, and to go back to normal he has to learn to chill. But then knowing that makes him too nervous to chill.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Honestly, at this point, I think it would be good for Fabricant to end strong as it is rather than flounder trying to be something else looking for ratings. I feel like 100 not caring about Ashibi dying in burning rubble is reflective of the author in the way as the Red Hood characters literally fighting against someone trying to end their story, just in the opposite direction.

Kill Blue: Him returning to a kid after getting serious makes me more confident in my idea of what's happening.

Akane: Time for some sillies. Looking forward to this arc.

MMA: Glad we're seeing the women's division stuff, I hope this means Nao gets to stay prominently in the story instead of getting shuffled off once Asumi gets good.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

panko posted:

service wars is in an extremely unserious tournament arc right now and it owns

I don't know what you're talking about, this is a very serious competition.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

What happens to a mangaka who has 2 of these in a row?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
This latest thing does make it feel like Ichinose is also ending soon, but with only 3 new series and Fabricant and Tenmaku ending, I can't imagine it being the 3rd over Do Retry.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

muscles like this! posted:

That reminds me of how a couple of years ago I was reading the US release of Initial D and originally it had a translation by Tokyopop who went hard on Westernizing names and dialogue but after a certain point they stopped doing releases and someone else eventually took over and they went for a more authentic translation so all of a sudden all the character names change.

From what I understand with that in particular, those names were taken from an Initial D arcade game, which is why everyone has, like, 3 or 4 letter names.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Jerkface posted:

i can't wait to meet the 13 generals of the mermaid army and their dozens of side character subordinates

If this turns into another Cop and Dolphin, I will scream.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

panko posted:

hell yeah

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Alacron posted:

At least they're both better than Gill.

I think that might be the thing of it. The stuff it's replacing isn't very good, and the other thing that's sticking around isn't either, so they're both pretty okay in my book so far. I like the concepts behind both, and neither has ugly art, so I will continue to read them.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I like Medalist, so I'm going to give Two On Ice a chance. Kinda treat it like the coach's origin story.

I thought for sure this would be the last week for Ichinose, but I guess we're still going.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
It's kinda weirdly written where I can't tell whether or not he knew her name. Because how else would he or his mom know she wasn't competing in a competition? How would he watch entire news reports about her without hearing her name? But the ending being her name makes it feel like it's news to him. I dunno.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

CodfishCartographer posted:

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1706670703104430195?t=14wrRGReBgY6nmJsMThklA&s=19

Surely this'll just mean there'll be two different tiers to access more/less manga, and not referring to currencies, right?... Right?

Definitely doesn't look like a coin system at least, so I'm relieved regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Yeah, if their subscriptions include Jump stuff, I'm almost certainly moving over. We'll see what they announce.